Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
It sounds like there's some room for programming that could be a little more beneficial for you. Since this is a longstanding hearing loss, it takes a lot for you to change your expected sound quality. But it sounds like you are adapting, which is good.

On the technical side, it sounds like the hearing aid might be boosting too much soft sounds when it's in those noise profiles. That's why you're hearing those people well at a distance. There's a lot of compressor settings, but that might be it's own rabbit hole your provider might not want to go into.

And yeah when you start going down that Baha path, it's typically for a different type of hearing loss (that is structural/mechanical vs. Sensory/neural).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guitar thread just made me curious: have you listened to ...And Justice for All before and after getting the hearing aid? I'd like to hear if it sounds worse too you now, or even if you liked the sound before?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

BonHair posted:

Guitar thread just made me curious: have you listened to ...And Justice for All before and after getting the hearing aid? I'd like to hear if it sounds worse too you now, or even if you liked the sound before?

I feel like this is a trick question... to me, ALL albums sounded like Justice For All :D

I've gone back and had a listen and I can hear that it's "thicker" now, but people who play bass have told me they struggle to hear Jason on there. My newly setup brain struggles to pick it out as they still have that metal thing of "bass kinda follows the guitar" so it's difficult for me to separate. I did have a listen to a version someone did called "Justice for Jason" where they re-layered his parts and made him louder. That was a new experience. I always found that album to be flat and uninspired (despite two of my favourite tracks being on there). Hearing the bass come through made it feel less two dimensional and have it more stomp.

Keeping to the Metallica theme, I find Jason's plectrum banging style stands out more to me than Rob's (and Cliffs) finger style. I have to listen a lot harder or crank it right up to appreciate those guys

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

I feel like this is a trick question... to me, ALL albums sounded like Justice For All :D

That's exactly why I asked, though, I wanted to know if it sounded like other albums before, which it kinda sounds like, but somehow still with a terrible mix.

Picking a bass gives you more highs and mids in general, essentially because the fingers mute a bit when using fingerstyle, so it's easier for all of us to hear a picked bass. In my old band, we had a guy who knew his stuff listen in to us, and basically his advice to me as a bass player was to use a pick if I wanted to be heard properly.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dog_Meat posted:

I had a weird one recently though. My hearing aids try to be clever and switch to various profiles as they adapt to the surroundings. Things like running water or loud engines will gradually reduce while speach registers are brought up (it doesn't do this with music tho), they'll compensate for echo, etc.
I was in an auditorium which has acoustics designed to allow the speaker at the front to be heard up at the back. In between briefings everyone was milling around talking and the weird reflections were confusing the intelligence in my hearing aids.

There was a conversation taking place on the other side of the room, and thanks to weird reflection and my robo-ears trying to track it I suddenly got what felt like the loudest, clearest whispering right next to my head. I spun round thinking "WTF?!".

Some of the magic is wearing off a little now as my brain is adapting and no longer magnifying new sounds. Part of me wonders if I should go back and have them turned up again, but the whole point was to get clarity rather than volume, and when I go to "normal" hearing levels everything clashes again and I seem to be worse off than before.

You'll get used to all this, it took me a couple of weeks or so, but it becomes the new normal to your brain pretty quickly.
They do have limitations though for sure, mine also do the intelligent adjusting, I find it to be like a compressor, so loud sounds are squashed and quiet ones boosted.
I've not really ever had much bass though, I am hoping the BAHA improves that, I got a pair of test ones that come with a headband that push them onto your bone, but they are like 50% effective - The were awesome though for listening to music in my car, so I am hopeful.
This is why the Buttkicker was amazing for me, it gives me all that bass and more and no one else can hear it.

In other news, I can now lip read which is weird, it's not something I ever tried to do but 20 years of poo poo hearing does that to you I guess, I had doctors appointment and he actually said to me that he could see me lip reading him, he was right but I never really thought about it before as actual lip reading, I just watch mouths - well, duh!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

In other news, I can now lip read which is weird, it's not something I ever tried to do but 20 years of poo poo hearing does that to you I guess, I had doctors appointment and he actually said to me that he could see me lip reading him, he was right but I never really thought about it before as actual lip reading, I just watch mouths - well, duh!

This was me. I didn't realise how much I stared at people's mouths and filled in the gaps until it was pointed out to me. Probably not the best phrasing, but you get my meaning...

I've also developed a really annoying habit where I still ask people to repeat themselves despite having heard them. The lag in my brain seems to have increased and my process is "someone said something, you'll need to get it repeated... wait... we heard that... comparing for words... oh yeah, you heard it. Better start responding while they're still repeating themselves becuse that won't be annoying for them"

BonHair posted:

That's exactly why I asked, though, I wanted to know if it sounded like other albums before, which it kinda sounds like, but somehow still with a terrible mix.

Picking a bass gives you more highs and mids in general, essentially because the fingers mute a bit when using fingerstyle, so it's easier for all of us to hear a picked bass. In my old band, we had a guy who knew his stuff listen in to us, and basically his advice to me as a bass player was to use a pick if I wanted to be heard properly.

This was something I didn't realise until I started playing acoustic guitar through a PA. My fingerpicking style has always been enough for "sitting in a bedroom with my head resting pretty much on the guitar", but it's too sloppy and lazy to ring out properly when amplified. If I get a bad mix at an open mic or something it was always muffled, so I started using a plectrum more. It feels like I lost a bit of sensitivity, but the trade off is I get a more consistent sound.

I had a go on a bass guitar and found that I could hear it when I played with a plec, but finger picking was too difficult for me to pick up unless I already knew what to expect to hear. Then my brain could fill in the gaps and match it to the vibrations.

I'm having to learn to process the new sounds, but also overcome what a lot of non-musical people struggle with. Identifying what a bass guitar actually does in the mix. Who often have people with normal ears said "that guy doesn't play anything?" but then can't put their finger on why a cover band with no bass sounds wrong

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dog_Meat posted:

This was me. I didn't realise how much I stared at people's mouths and filled in the gaps until it was pointed out to me. Probably not the best phrasing, but you get my meaning...

I've also developed a really annoying habit where I still ask people to repeat themselves despite having heard them. The lag in my brain seems to have increased and my process is "someone said something, you'll need to get it repeated... wait... we heard that... comparing for words... oh yeah, you heard it. Better start responding while they're still repeating themselves becuse that won't be annoying for them"

The 'filling in the gaps' is a perect descrition, just over the years the gaps got longer, I mean, I'm not great at it but like you I need to see the mouth to understand people a lot of the time.

quote:

I've also developed a really annoying habit where I still ask people to repeat themselves despite having heard them.

See I went the opposite way, before I got my hearing aids especially, where I got to the point of thinking'what people are saying isn't important anyway' so I would just not really bother interacting, this crept up on me and is really unhealthy, but I guess was kind of a self defence mechanism at the time.
Top tip: If you get your teeth cleaned at the dentist take your hearing aids out cos gently caress me that's a mad experience.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

See I went the opposite way, before I got my hearing aids especially, where I got to the point of thinking'what people are saying isn't important anyway' so I would just not really bother interacting, this crept up on me and is really unhealthy, but I guess was kind of a self defence mechanism at the time.
Top tip: If you get your teeth cleaned at the dentist take your hearing aids out cos gently caress me that's a mad experience.

There was a honeymoon period where two of the guys at work would quietly say my name and then high five when I looked up (they were genuinely happy I could hear, but it got old fast). But it's still been a conscious effort to not assume that I didn't hear something and realise that I knew what had been said.

Oh man... dentist. Never thought of that. I accidentally left mine in in the shower and got a shock.

Also, I hate small talk when getting my hair cut, so I say "when I take these out I'll hardly be able to hear you". Antisocial, but effective :D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dog_Meat posted:

There was a honeymoon period where two of the guys at work would quietly say my name and then high five when I looked up (they were genuinely happy I could hear, but it got old fast). But it's still been a conscious effort to not assume that I didn't hear something and realise that I knew what had been said.

Oh man... dentist. Never thought of that. I accidentally left mine in in the shower and got a shock.

Also, I hate small talk when getting my hair cut, so I say "when I take these out I'll hardly be able to hear you". Antisocial, but effective :D

Hairdressers, I do the same, it's real nice to have a couple of silver linings on the cloud isn't it?
I use my hearing aid case as a plectrum case these days, it works out really well as I prefer them out when playing with the band

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Apologies if it's been mentioned already but get yourself plugged into some Edgar Meyer, like, now.

https://youtu.be/5xeLXC5Ph98

https://youtu.be/QcXQcsAOx0I

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 20, 2020

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
If I may truly misinterpret the thread title with my intended contribution before I opened it, my 'discovering bass' story is a little different.

For me, I just never had anyone explain to me the difference between electric guitar and bass, so I figured they all sounded the same and since I had never registered seeing a bass guitar in person in my youth, there was no point of reference.
I didn't watch many music videos, either.
Eventually, someone tried explaining it when I started getting into heavy music, I think it was a Metallica song that would occasionally drop to open palm muted chugs around the riff, and I expressed my fondness of that low heavy part in particular.
Someone explained that that was the bass and that's an important part of music.
So, for a very short while, I thought bass was palm muted chugs.
Still, I was fairly determined by that point to play bass and by the time the distinction was clear, I was fine with it being a less chuggy but equally powerful instrument.
I'd fallen hard into Australian indie by that point, late 90's, the peak of JJJ culture, and given the vast array of different bands there was also an equal array of bass tones that made me realise it was a versatile enough instrument to not be the one-trick tool many wrote it off to be.
The first full album I bought was Spiderbait's "Unfinished Spanish galleon of Finley Lake" on cassette and I was sold on how big and nasty it could sound, then I became enamored with Jebediah's "Slightly Oddway" and found that bass could be played independently from guitar melodies so long as certain notes were respected. Finally at 15 I got my own bass.

21 years later and I am still making horrid sounds with them. Love it.

Perhaps OP should consider picking one up, it would be a great origin story, the type that some of the best musicians have.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Been away for a while. Yay for being a keyworker in the covid world and all my music buddies being locked away.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Perhaps OP should consider picking one up, it would be a great origin story, the type that some of the best musicians have.

This weekend I'm going for my first (socially distanced) music jam with a buddy and her husband has offered to lend me a bass as he's borrowing a guitar off me. It'll be nice to actually be able to sit and play one rather than having a quick fumble on one for a few minutes. I'm hoping learning to play bass will help train my ears in what to listen for moving forward.

I've been going for long periods without the hearing aids in recently as it can be awkward throwing on a mask when I'm shopping and not accidentally turning the ear loops into a slingshot that launches my very expensive devices across the shop floor.

And yeah, the mask thing has made me realise that I still lip read more than I thought I did because I'm lazy despite having better hearing now. Sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Dog_Meat posted:

Been away for a while. Yay for being a keyworker in the covid world and all my music buddies being locked away.

This weekend I'm going for my first (socially distanced) music jam with a buddy and her husband has offered to lend me a bass as he's borrowing a guitar off me. It'll be nice to actually be able to sit and play one rather than having a quick fumble on one for a few minutes. I'm hoping learning to play bass will help train my ears in what to listen for moving forward.

I've been going for long periods without the hearing aids in recently as it can be awkward throwing on a mask when I'm shopping and not accidentally turning the ear loops into a slingshot that launches my very expensive devices across the shop floor.

And yeah, the mask thing has made me realise that I still lip read more than I thought I did because I'm lazy despite having better hearing now. Sigh...

Soon enough you'll be joining us on the Bass Megathread.