Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sorry for the fakeout, but it turns out that after the meeting where Percy commits to attack the Brotherhood, the next step is to attack the Railroad first.

Percy returns to their headquarters. The Railroad isn't openly hostile yet, but they don't trust him and will no longer work with him. He is able to walk in with an Institute weapon drawn and they initially don't react.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJvpnK3uZ0

The Railroad is taken by surprise so badly that they can't even shoot back. Percy slaughters their leaders in under a minute.

Desdemona was gunned down first.

Deacon is a potential follower, but eliminating the Railroad means he must die, too.

Also, Percy finds an issue of Astoundingly Awesome Tales. This one doesn't help him out because he's never picked up the Cryolator.

Father tells Percy to see Dr. Li for the attack plan against the Brotherhood of Steel.

Level 62 perk: Locksmith 3 (Level 18, 4 Perception)
Percy can now pick Master locks.

Dr. Li had a major role in Fallout 3, where she helped the Brotherhood activate a giant fighting robot called Liberty Prime and use him against the Enclave. She went on to join the Institute to further pursue scientific research for the good of humanity.

Percy, as a nerdy robotics expert, is obviously enthusiastic about the plan to hijack a fighting robot and bring it onto his own side. There is a Synth that can upload a virus into Liberty Prime that makes him see the Brotherhood as communist invaders.

The Brotherhood is generating an anti-teleportation field at their base, so Percy teleports to a nearby empty building. He will need to destroy the electromagnetic generators to let Synth reinforcements teleport in.

This will be the final battle for control of the Commonwealth. Before the battle, Percy takes the following chems: Psycho, Buffout, Med-X, Lorenzo's serum, Bufftats, and Ice-Cold Nuka-Cola Quantum. This raises his damage output by 25%, damage resistance from about 120 to 220, raises his max HP from around 1000 to 1200, and the ice-cold drink will give him a constant low level of healing.

He leaves the building and starts attacking the heavily armed Brotherhood fortress. Percy will use a large amount of Jet to slow time and fight in the open, rather than hiding behind cover and taking long-range shots.

Percy uses homing beacons from his friend Commander Zao to order a nuclear strike on the Brotherhood's wall. The Chinese atomic missile produces an explosion the size of a mini nuke right on top of several Power Armored knights.

Percy then switches to throwing Plasma Grenades whenever he has to deal with a target behind cover, or a mass of enemies.

Miniguns and automatic lasers hardly scratch Percy's armour, but he has to watch out for the explosions from missile launchers, fission reactors, and crashing vertibirds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fnaeHaMY6Y

I took a 14-minute video of the final battle. If you'd like to watch it, watch it now before reading the rest of this update. If you'd rather see screenshots, keep on reading.

Percy advances into heavy defenses. His weapon can kill any foe in a few shots, and they can barely hurt him in return. He is now tougher than a Super Mutant Behemoth or a Deathclaw, and armed with the Overseer's Guardian.

Level 63 perk: Moving Target (6 Agility)
Percy becomes somewhat tougher while sprinting. With his high Endurance, he's capable of doing a lot of sprinting.

Dogmeat has 450 HP, so he's not as bulletproof as Percy, and gets incapacitated by lasers a couple of times. His aggressive attacks help distract missile launchers away from Percy.

Percy breaches the defences and the Synth virus jacks into Liberty Prime to start taking over. Percy will need to defend him as the Brotherhood throws everything they have against the position.

He blows up multiple vertibirds, often running for cover as they threaten to crash onto his head.

The Synths begin taking weapons from the Brotherhood. Despite Advanced Systems' efforts, the BoS has the better weapons in this fight.

The blue Institute lasers filling the air are slowly replaced with a growing number of red lasers from stolen Brotherhood weapons.

Dogmeat attacks Paladin Danse and Percy shoots the metal man dead. Another potential follower killed because we were forced to take the violent path.

The Brotherhood takes enormous casualties trying to surround Percy's position.

Level 64 perk: Moving Target 2 (Level 24, 6 Agility)
This gives another +25 to damage and energy resistance when sprinting. Percy's standard equipment gives him 120 and 79 in these resistances already, but every point helps.

Finally, the virus succeeds. Liberty Prime identifies the Prydwen as a Communist airship and begins charging his enormous laser.

A partially-invisible Courser appears to take Percy and Dogmeat to a safe vantage point.

Oh, the humanity! The Brotherhood of Steel's airship crashes to the ground amidst a huge mushroom cloud. Percy and the Institute have eliminated their enemies, and the Minutemen have helped bring safety to many settlements all over the Commonwealth. What's next for Percy?

Go talk to Father, or talk to Preston Garvey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Go talk to Father. Might as well run the whole thing through.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
At times like these, we truly have to consider Percy's motivations as a person. He's helped out the Minutemen a lot, they made him their General, and he's spoken for them on many occasions.

The Institute has a giant robot. It also has the tech to make a robo-wife.

Let's go to talk with Father. We've gotta keep our priorities straight.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Flying Twybil posted:

At times like these, we truly have to consider Percy's motivations as a person. He's helped out the Minutemen a lot, they made him their General, and he's spoken for them on many occasions.

The Institute has a giant robot. It also has the tech to make a robo-wife.

Let's go to talk with Father. We've gotta keep our priorities straight.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Talk with father. Let's end this.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Percy teleports back to the Institute to find Father on his deathbed. Our mercenary-general-director really has a knack for showing up at important moments.

Percy never had a way with words, but now it's time for him to deliver the famous end-of-game monologue.

I close my eyes... I see my life before all of this - before the bombs.

Everything can change in an instant, and the future you plan for yourself shifts, whether or not you're ready. At some point, it happens to all of us.

This wasn't the world I wanted...

But it was the one I found myself in.

The Commonwealth.

My home.

Ripped apart and put back together.

Now I know I can't go back.

I know the world is changed - that the road ahead will be hard.

This time, I'm ready.

Because I know war. War never changes.

That's it! With help from all my goon voters, Percy has survived Fallout 4 without ever using VATS, Power Armor, stealth, crafting, and without dying! It's possible to keep playing the game and exploring the open wasteland, but Percy has already seen most everything in the Commonwealth. I hope you all enjoyed this LP, I enjoyed playing with these restrictions. I've always felt that Fallout 4 is a good game with certain systems that are simply too powerful and reduce the challenge too much, so it was interesting to play by spending most of my time running around shooting people.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I didn't post during the run (since I typically wasn't fast enough to get in before the next step) but thanks for the enjoyable LP. I amt just try Fallout 4 again with jet after seeing this!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Thanks for the great LP!

I still find it super impressive that Percy never died once. Also, it was a really cool idea to try out so many different styles at the start.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Hooray, we did it!
Looks like winners do drugs after all. :smugdog:

Thank you for the LP, Chamale!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This LP was excellent, and it taught me that drugs are every bit as powerful as hiding or futuristic power armor.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Cheers for the fun LP! It, uh, didn't go how I expected at all. I was way too straight edge when I played apparently.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Great LP! Will miss its updates. So long Percy!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love the fact that the big fat goonosaurus is the guy who shaped the wasteland's future :allears: I have to admit, I had my doubts about this LP ever finishing without some kind of authorial intervention (since, you know, goon voting) but I'm really glad to be proven wrong. Great LP, Chamale!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

From Nora's adventures alongside Cait, to the tragic end of Radsmoke: A Wasteland Western and it's main hero, this thread's seen a lot.

Percy made it to the end, our goonlord action hero with a dog and a penchant for magazines of both the paper and the rifle variety (not to mention a few "boosters"). I'll chime in to say that I also wondered if we were going to survive to the end, as after all, this game had already proved twice it had no objections to ending in a heartbeat.

That being said, I'm glad to see the big guy made it! I've been with this one from the start, and it's also the first LP I can say that for. It's been a wonderful time and a wonderful LP! Thanks for the good times- I know I'll miss seeing these updates!

(Who knew you could make FO4 so fun?)

Malah
May 18, 2015

Let's go see what our brat has to say.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, yeah, wasn't there some child who got kidnapped at the beginning of the game? We never did find out what happened to the kid, did we? Was he/she written out of the LP as "not thread canon?"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thanks for the LP! :toot:

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, yeah, wasn't there some child who got kidnapped at the beginning of the game? We never did find out what happened to the kid, did we? Was he/she written out of the LP as "not thread canon?"

What kid? I mean if they fell down a well, Dogmeat would've told us, but I really think the only kids Percy's ever seen was the ones in that one vault. He gave up some of his stash for one of 'em too. I don't know what this "thread cannon" thing you're speaking of is, but it doesn't sound like a very efficient weapon. We should sell it for caps.

Real Answer: Yes, the kid and wife were entirely written out since the beginning of this LP.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Real Answer: Yes, the kid and wife were entirely written out since the beginning of this LP.

For good reason also. Bethesda suck for rail roading you in the main plot

Over all I'm happy with how this turned out. We tried the vanilla characters, but it was the power of being a goon Lord that won through.

It really goes to show how strong Automatics are in this game. Can I ask for the op to lst the final character build of that's ok?

Might try replicate Percy for a future play though.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 3, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

I don't know what this "thread cannon" thing you're speaking of is, but it doesn't sound like a very efficient weapon. We should sell it for caps.

You mean the Junk Jet?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So at what point does Father's twist show up had you cared to show it? I never even bothered to rescue Nick despite probably playing 100 hours over various characters, but I know the stupid twist.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FairGame posted:

So at what point does Father's twist show up had you cared to show it? I never even bothered to rescue Nick despite probably playing 100 hours over various characters, but I know the stupid twist.

He tells you pretty much the moment you meet him. Your character can either believe Father immediately, or doubt for one sentence before being convinced.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

.It really goes to show how strong Automatics are in this game. Can I ask for the op to lst the final character build of that's ok?

Might try replicate Percy for a future play though.

I'll post all the perks in order tomorrow.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
New Vegas will always be the Best Fallout, but I'm not gonna lie: Fallout 4 is the one I've sank the most hours into. Despite their incompetence in other areas, Bethesda did make a drat fun sandbox to gently caress around in, with tons of cool little individual things to discover.

The main story though.... yeaahhh. The most frustrating thing is, it would be much improved (still poo poo, but less so) with one little addition: The possibility to actually call Father out on how utterly full of poo poo he is. It says something that with my first character I never finished the main story, and with my second I was like level 90+ before I bothered setting foot inside the Institute.

Anyways, congrats on your achievement, this was a fun LP. :toot: I admit I was skeptical of your chances at first, but then I saw what a beast Percy started to become with some perks (and drugs) under his lengthy belt.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How to build a Percy

Strength: 1
Perception: 1
Endurance: 10
Charisma: 3
Intelligence: 10
Agility: 2
Luck: 1

These SPECIAL points are essential - max Endurance for maximum hit points, 3 Charisma to take Lone Wanderer, 10 Intelligence to take Nerd Rage, and 2 Agility to take Commando.

The fundamental perks (Take every rank as soon as possible):
Lone Wanderer
Nerd Rage
Commando
Lifegiver
Medic
Chemist

Other useful perks:
Aqua Boy (1 only)
Solar Powered (1 and 2 only)
Robotic Expert (1 and 2 ONLY)
+5 Strength to take Strong Back
+1 Agility to take Sneak 3 (immunity to traps and mines)
+2 Luck to take Bloody Mess (the first 3 were much better than rank 4)

Perks I took because I was out of good ones:
+2 Luck to take Idiot Savant
+5 Agility to take Quick Hands (1 only)
Hacker (1, 2, and 3 only)
+2 Perception to take Locksmith (1, 2, and 3 only)
Moving Target

Nordick posted:

New Vegas will always be the Best Fallout, but I'm not gonna lie: Fallout 4 is the one I've sank the most hours into. Despite their incompetence in other areas, Bethesda did make a drat fun sandbox to gently caress around in, with tons of cool little individual things to discover.

Though the story is awful, the gunplay and dialogue feel so much better than older Bethesda games. I've also put a huge number of hours into this game. I'm thinking about getting into another RPG like Divinity 2, but even after 50 hours of Percy I still want to play more Fallout 4.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Great LP, Chamale!

Fallout 4's a game with some real good parts, even if the experience as a whole was pretty mediocre and forgettable for many. Thanks for showing off a lot of the cool stuff you can do with it!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the stats and the LP. Theory could this be even attempted without drugs?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Thanks for the stats and the LP. Theory could this be even attempted without drugs?

It certainly could be done without drugs. That would involve using cover more carefully and not charging in and popping Jet.

The big advantage of drugs and machine guns is that you can't aim for poo poo in full auto, so Jet lets you take those 5 bullets per second and make sure they each actually hit the target. If you're not using drugs, a Rifleman build might be better, although an automatic is still really good when something like a Deathclaw gets in your face.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Now do it all with 150 random mods

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Chamale posted:

...but even after 50 hours of Percy I still want to play more Fallout 4.
Your presentation throughout has been great, so if there's still anything you want to show off (alternate allegiances, alternate builds, missed quests, synth vagina mods, etc) I'd be happy to keep following.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

sudonim posted:

Your presentation throughout has been great, so if there's still anything you want to show off (alternate allegiances, alternate builds, missed quests, synth vagina mods, etc) I'd be happy to keep following.

Same here!

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Great LP! Been lurking since day one. Will be looking forward to whatever you do next, Chamale!

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
also

FairGame posted:

You are never ever going to pull this off, and the restarts will infuriate you.
:fry:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Great job op!

This LP was so good that it actually got me to reinstall the game and play for a few hours myself before I uninstalled it again.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Epilogue: Percy ties up loose ends.

Percy is successful, but he's not happy. He wanders around the surface world, which is being taken over by his loyal Synths.

He helps a few Synths kill stragglers from the Brotherhood and blow up a Vertibird.

The Institute-Minutemen alliance is taking over all of the Commonwealth's settlements. Percy heads north to check on Sanctuary, where it all began.

He helps kill some leftover Railroad rogues along the way. The Institute is flushing all of its enemies out of hiding.

He sees his bobblehead collection and realizes what's missing from his life: Four of the Vault Boy bobbleheads!

Percy heads east to track down the lost Brotherhood patrol. He helps a Synth squad kill a Deathclaw with no casualties.

Near the place he once picked up the third patrol's distress signal, he sees a Legendary Alpha Deathclaw - the toughest enemy he's faced yet.

He manages to wound it in the leg, and then kill it with a full magazine of bullets.

Shortly afterwards, he encounters a high-level Brotherhood squad that is also looking for the lost patrol.

They take a chunk out of Percy with a Gatling Laser, but he gets behind cover and uses Jet to finish them off.

The dead Knights have their Power Armor fused shut by the massive explosion of one of their Fusion Cores. Percy finds a holotape that directs him to a secret bunker.

Paladin Brandis has survived in this bunker for three years. He has no idea that the Brotherhood returned, or that they subsequently were destroyed.

Level 65 perk: Steady Aim (7 Strength)
This improves Percy's accuracy when firing without aiming through the sight. The Overseer's Guardian is hard to use at close range, and this makes it better.

He tells Percy that he's no longer part of the Brotherhood of Steel, so Percy doesn't need to kill him. The Paladin thanks Percy for telling him the fate of his brothers-in-arms, gives him a fusion core, and then presumably returns to his hermited lifestyle.

On the way back, Percy checks out a middle school's basement and discovers the entrance to a Vault!

Brotherhood refugees are trying to wrest control of Vault 75 from the Gunners who live here. They must be hoping to use it as a hideout.

Percy uses the battle as an opportunity to test his new Gatling laser. It's not a great weapon, but it really shoots fast.

He fights through the Vault, and learns that this was an elaborate eugenics experiment. Children were given military training, and the toughest teenagers were allowed to have children, only to be separated from their families and released into the outside world at age 18. Could this have been the origin of the Gunners?

Some of the Gunners in the Vault are very tough, but Percy has a lot of bullets.

Near the Overseer's Room, he finds the Science bobblehead!

Percy also finds a military chainsaw and uses it to behead the Gunners in the Overseer's Office.

The Overseer's Office has a Grognak comic - wait a minute! Percy already got this issue in Vault 81!

He goes to Bunker Hill to sell his duffel bag full of guns. The mayor, remembering the last time her town defied the Institute, walks up to Percy and tells him she'll join the alliance.

Percy takes his last dose of Mysterious Serum and swings by Lorenzo's house to ask for some more.

Next, he goes to the Vault-Tec Regional Headquarters in the hopes of finding some clues about the final bobbleheads for his collection.

Sharon spilled coffee on my new shirt while we were in the lounge this morning. I told her it was fine and we had a good laugh about the whole thing. If she does it again I'll stab her in the loving throat with my pen. She's a good kid.

Let's just pretend this terminal had a list of bobblehead vendors.

Remember when Percy fought this whole tower full of Super Mutants and met a delusional thespian and his greenskin friend? According to the Vault-Tec records, he missed something.

A series of elevators take him to the top of Trinity Tower, with just a couple surviving Super Mutants in the way.

Just like that, he has the melee weapons bobblehead!

Percy enjoys the view of Diamond City before heading back down.

The Institute Flag now flies above the largest settlement in the Commonwealth.

Daily life seems to be going on as usual, except of course for the repeal of the "No Synths" law.

Outside the city, Percy spots a pair of glowing deathclaws in a fight to the death.

He takes the last of Commander Zao's homing beacons and calls in a tactical nuclear strike on the beasts.

Despite living in the Glowing Sea, deathclaws aren't quite immune to radiation weapons. Blasting them apart works well, too.

Level 66 perk: Steady Aim 2 (Level 28, Strength 7)
Now Experiment 18-A is pretty much obsolete, because the Overseer's Guardian is now extremely accurate at short and long range.

Percy goes to the Galaxy News Network plaza, the next location known to have a collectible bobblehead. It's Gunner territory now.

A missile explodes near our heroic Director/General, so he takes Jet to shoot back.

Then Percy hears the screech of an incoming mini nuke, and sprints for cover. It'll be safest to get inside and fight from there.

There are plenty of tough Gunners to fight inside, but conventional guns are barely a threat to a man of Percy's toughness.

He goes to the roof, finds the lieutenant with a Fat Man, and eliminates the threat.

He goes to fight Captain Wes, the supreme leader of all the Gunners.

Wes and his men hit Percy with almost enough firepower to kill him instantly. He goes into Nerd Rage and immediately has to retreat.

But Percy comes back, ducks in and out of cover to kill his enemies one by one, and claims the small guns bobblehead for his efforts.

Level 67 perk: Strength +1 (Now 8)

There are more Gunners throughout the plaza, but none of them have explosive bullets like Captain Wes did.

Percy takes it as an opportunity to try some interesting weapons he finds, like this two-shot .44 pistol.

Gunner records inside the building indicate that a leader named Cruz was demoted for a cowardly retreat, but Captain Wes was carrying a holotape proving that he was the one who ordered Cruz to fall back. Politics and intrigue are a big part of daily life, even for cutthroat mercenaries.

Unfortunately for Cruz, Percy has a mini nuke launcher that he's dying to test out on some tough enemy.

Percy leaves the Gunners Plaza and travels to Vault 95, which is also Gunners territory. They don't know yet that their boss and his lieutenants are all dead.

As Percy approaches the Vault, multiple Assaultrons charge him. Thanks to Jet, he is able to kill them before they can use their deadly face lasers.

He enters the Vault's atrium and sends mercenaries flying with a huge display of firepower.

Level 68 perk: Strength +1 (Now 9)

Vault 95 was filled to the brim with drugs and recovered drug addicts. One of Vault-Tec's more comically stupid "social experiments".

Percy enters a bedroom full of sleeping Gunners and fills them with holes.

They were doing a terrible job of guarding this collectible. Percy now has every Vault Boy bobblehead from the limited set of 20 that came out just before the war!

Since he's near the Glowing Sea, he goes to check out the Electronic Hobbyists Club. A highly radioactive building full of booby traps ought to have something valuable in it, but it turns out there was just a hermit woman holed up before the Great War, who tried salvaging robot parts from the Glowing Sea shortly after it was covered in radioactive waste.

Percy goes for a relaxing romp through the Glowing Sea to visit an old friend. No Assaultrons or mini nukes or Gatling lasers to worry about, just big noisy creatures that can be shot to death from a safe distance.

He meets up with Virgil and gives him the Cure for being a Super Mutant. The scientist may have betrayed the Institute, but that seems like a grudge for the previous Director to worry about.

Percy teleports home and puts his four new toys on the bobblehead stand. He has the coveted complete collection of Vault Boys, as well as the best armour and gun in the Commonwealth and over twenty thousand caps in his pocket. It's time to retire from the mercenary life.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

A :patriot: for Percy, tying up loose ends and finishing that collection of his.

Now he can sit around and practice being the wasteland's first Grognak the Barbarian speedrunner.

Malah
May 18, 2015

As far as I know, Father is some power tripping jackass named as such because of daddy issues and

oh.

God drat it, Bethesda. :regd09:

e: Fantastic LP. I've always wanted to see what the FO4 fuss was about, but, erm, from a distance. This was perfect.

Malah fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Malah posted:

As far as I know, Father is some power tripping jackass named as such because of daddy issues and

oh.

God drat it, Bethesda. :regd09:

e: Fantastic LP. I've always wanted to see what the FO4 fuss was about, but, erm, from a distance. This was perfect.

The "drug-addled supergeek somehow conquers the Commonwealth" plot makes a lot more sense than Fallout 4's actual plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If you missed voting on my video game decisions, I'm doing a Civilization VI Let's Play with similar democratic themes to this one. Or you could appoint me fascist dictator and watch me do everything myself, but that sounds much less interesting!