Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was grunge good or bad? A couple grunge singers are music legends, and the genre was very influential, but was it good? Was it even a real genre? What was "real" grunge? What grunge bands are good and bad? Are Pearl Jam responsible for Nickelback? Yes, they are. Please factor this in.

This OP is short because I don't want to bias it, but this is a real thread! Please do not gas it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

There are for sure some up amazing, nay classic albums that came out of that scene or were released by artists that got associated with that scene in the late 80's and early 90's. Still, asking if it was "good" is sort of subjective yeah? I mean, if you were strictly a black metal purists in the early 90's trading tapes and corpse paint through the mail, then the stuff that came out of Seattle from dudes growling about feelings was probably straight up not your bag.

I'm not sure what you're trying to find with the idea of "real" grunge. As opposed to what? The die hard musicologist would probably argue that the "real" grunge was the early stuff like Green River coming out of the PNW.

The obvious "Good" grunge bands have had whole threads, books, and documentaries about them. Those names would not be new to anyone, especially not anyone reading NMD on the regular. I like the Melvins an awful lot. Mark Lanegan was rad with the Screaming Trees and is still rad today on his solo stuff and collaborations with Dulli et al.

Pearl Jam was not responsible for Nickelback, in the same way that the Who or Neil Young is not responsible for Pearl Jam. Nickelback was responsible for Nickelback.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hatelull posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to find with the idea of "real" grunge. As opposed to what?
No idea. It's not a genre I know a lot about, I've just seen people online argue about what were the authentic parts of the scene.

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Love Battery was good OP

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Grunge was more of a label than a genre, really - it was pretty much just stamped on anything that came out of the pacific northwest in the 80s and early 90s, for lack of anything else to call the scene as a whole.

For example, if that scene hadn't blown up so much, they'd probably have just called Nirvana a pop-punk band and Soundgarden a hard rock/heavy metal band. They were called grunge because they came out of the Seattle area in the 80s.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it started out alright but quickly became a total harsh realm filled with lamestains and cob nobblers

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Paw's first album is good and also overrlooked

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All those bands loved The Frogs so at least they had good taste.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nirvana was overrated. Hole was a much better band esp their later non grunge stuff.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

banned from Starbucks posted:

Nirvana was overrated. Hole was a much better band esp their later non grunge stuff.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

no

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fenrir posted:

Grunge was more of a label than a genre, really - it was pretty much just stamped on anything that came out of the pacific northwest in the 80s and early 90s, for lack of anything else to call the scene as a whole.

For example, if that scene hadn't blown up so much, they'd probably have just called Nirvana a pop-punk band and Soundgarden a hard rock/heavy metal band. They were called grunge because they came out of the Seattle area in the 80s.

I agree with this, although I think there were also some similarities in the production of PNW bands from this time that gave the so-called "grunge" movement a familiar sound, even if the musical styles from Nirvana to Soundgarden to Pearl Jam were very distinct. When I remember this era I think of jangly guitars, wide open snare reverb, heavy vocals and dark lyrical content.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I agree with this, although I think there were also some similarities in the production of PNW bands from this time that gave the so-called "grunge" movement a familiar sound, even if the musical styles from Nirvana to Soundgarden to Pearl Jam were very distinct. When I remember this era I think of jangly guitars, wide open snare reverb, heavy vocals and dark lyrical content.
Yeah, I think that production style mostly came out of Sub Pop records (Nirvana and Soundgarden were both with them at one point, as well as a shitload of other Seattle bands).

Speaking of Sub Pop,

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/09/dear-loser.html

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grunge led to post-grunge which is objectively the worst genre ever so idk

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Grunge led to post-grunge which is objectively the worst genre ever so idk

Was/is that truly a genre? I always saw it as a derogatory term for bands that jumped on the coat tails of the top tier acts and ended up in heavily played alt-rock radio/buzz bin rotation.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Yes, examples:
Alice in Chains
Sound Garden
Stone Temple Pilots
Pearl Jam
Temple of the Dog
Live
Collective Soul?
Smashing Pumpkins

Also Nirvana unplugged.

bomb fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 15, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I think of it I think of Breaking Benjamin and poo poo like that

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

In my worthless opinion, I feel this is where the discussion breaks down into an abyss of subjective opinion. I always associate Breaking Benjamin with the slew of alternative metal acts that blew up in the early 00's and were the staple of my hometown godawful radio. I considered Alice in Chains and Soundgarden one of the pillars of the original grunge scene, although I guess it could be argued that if you're making cameos in Crowe's movie about the "grunge scene" then the scene itself is dead (and bloated). I'll give you STP and Collective Soul for sure.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bomb posted:

Yes, examples:
Alice in Chains
Sound Garden
Stone Temple Pilots
Pearl Jam
Temple of the Dog
Live
Collective Soul?
Smashing Pumpkins

Also Nirvana unplugged.

please tell me which "top tier" acts these bands were riding the coattails of

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

please tell me which "top tier" acts these bands were riding the coattails of

He's replying to the op question duder.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHvan9XHD9M

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's replying to the op question duder.

Whoops thought he was replying to hatelull

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Whoops thought he was replying to hatelull

Me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

That run of Daydream Nation, Goo, and Dirty was so incredibly deadly that for the longest time I was deathly afraid of hearing anything else Sonic Youth did after 1992, because nothing was going to reach that peak again.

Turns out Washing Machine and Murray Street are also equally good and I should never have doubted Thurston and Company.

I still like me a Bad Moon Rising around Halloween as well.