Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/1191563494413328384

I know this is way too much to ask of the universe, but has this actually bitten Dean Spanos in the rear end? Did he actually lose a shitload of money by moving the Chargers?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Re: The dumb(?) Timeout the Raiders called on the last play of the game

quote:

Lions tight end Logan Thomas had just caught a 13-yard pass down to the 1-yard line, and the clock was ticking down. Raiders safety Karl Joseph started yelling for a timeout, but the officials may not have heard him so teammate Erik Harris started calling for one, as well.

There were eight seconds left when the timeout was called. The Raiders were up 31-24, and with the Lions scrambling a little bit to get to the line of scrimmage and get a play off, Raiders coach Jon Gruden wasn’t a huge fan of stopping play at the time. The Lions, after all, didn’t have any timeouts left.

“One of our players, a secret player, actually took that timeout, but I’ll take credit for it because it worked out,” Gruden said Monday, smiling.

On the last play of the game, Lions quarterback Matt Stafford was pressured by Clelin Ferrell and threw the ball up for Thomas in the back of the end zone. But Joseph, who at 5-foot-10 was giving up 8 inches to Thomas, broke up the play.

Game saved. And maybe even the season, as at 4-4 the Raiders have playoff aspirations.

“I told Karl I didn’t know he could jump that high,” Harris said Monday.

It couldn’t have worked out any better, as not only did the Raiders get their feet set, but Lions coach Matt Patricia way overthought the final play.
Let’s take it from the top.

“There was a little bit of confusion, and we really weren’t lined up correctly,” Harris said Monday. “We were not on the same page.”

The home crowd at the Coliseum that the Raiders love so much was actually too hyped up.

“Trying to get the play called from one side of the field to the other was tough in the end zone, the crowd was so into it,” Harris said.

Stafford was trying to line his guys up, and had three receivers and a tight end out wide when he heard the whistle.

“We had no (running) back in the game so I was going to have to get to a little something there, but they called the timeout,” Stafford said after the game.

Jospeh definitely exhaled, because he had been trying to call timeout on the previous play — the 13-yard pass — as well.

“Yeah, we weren’t all on the same page,” Joseph said after the game. “Some guys had to cross … It was a big situation right there. I wanted us all to be on the same page. We got the timeout on the next one thankfully.”

“We just wanted to see what they were in,” linebacker Tahir Whitehead said. “That’s the play of the game. We have to make sure we are in the right call.”

After the timeout, the Lions came out with six offensive linemen and two tight ends, trying to sell that they were going to run it. None of the 54,000 fans, players, coaches, vendors and security officers present bought that for a second.

What’s worse for Lions fans was Patricia went with that grouping even though his top tight end, T.J. Hockenson, was out with a head injury and it meant benching receivers Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones.
Those two had done their best Randy Moss impersonations all day and had 12 catches combined for 258 yards.
Stand next to me and watch this, Patricia essentially told them.

“We thought we had a play in there that was pretty influential at that standpoint,” Patricia said Sunday. “We thought we were going to be able to get them an opportunity, knowing that they were probably going to bring in pressure, or at least they had a lot of big guys out there to deal with.
“So, from that standpoint we thought that play had a good chance in practice, and thought we had a good chance with it today. We just didn’t execute it very well, and they played it very well.”

What?
Stafford is a good solider and only screamed on the inside.

“Once he ran the personnel out there, I had a pretty good feeling of what the call was going to be and we just didn’t execute it,” Stafford said.

A play that Stafford drew up in the dirt for Golladay or Jones would have been preferable for Lions fans.
The Raiders thought there was only a tiny chance the Lions would run the ball.

“I thought they were going to try and trick us like they had earlier,” Harris said. “I thought they would put the game in 9’s hands and run the play-action.”

The Lions were obviously targeting Joseph.

“It’s just, I mean we had a one-on-one shot,” Stafford said. “We had a chance. We had one of our big guys on one of their not so big guys and a chance to go up and make it. You know I’ve got to give him a better chance and a better ball. … They defended it well.”

Here’s the thing … the Raiders also know that Joseph is not very tall.

“It was a play we practice pretty much every week,” Joseph said. “It was all about doing our job. I just did my job. … Having good eyes, staying disciplined. That’s all it was. I saw the ball and went to make a play on it.”

And give some credit to Ferrell as well. The No. 4 overall pick has struggled at times this season and had only one quarterback pressure coming into Sunday’s game. Make that two.

“We were trying to get (Stafford) outside of the edge right there and we didn’t,” Patricia said. “They kind of beat us there on the inside part of it and got through.”

Joseph was behind Thomas but jumped high enough that he was able to get his right hand in front and break up the pass. He landed on his head but ignored the possible broken neck and ran to the middle of the field for the surround sound of the screaming crowd.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
God drat the Lions are perpetually stupid. Stafford's gonna retire in frustration.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Wew double post forum app fuckery.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 5, 2019

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The play

https://twitter.com/RaiderCody/status/1191735058740076544

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's actually a pretty decent ball by Stafford considering.

Android Apocalypse posted:

God drat the Lions are perpetually stupid. Stafford's gonna retire in frustration.

Yeah there's a lot of words in that article that basically boil down to 'we're not sure if the time out was good or not but it allowed the Lions to mess everything up.'

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Sometimes the best coaching is doing nothing & letting your opponents do the dumb for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol that rules

it was very disheartening when they moved and the media was like "Well, they're playing in a soccer stadium and no one in LA likes them, but somehow this will increase Dean Spanos' personal wealth by $2 billion". Like evil always triumphs.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 5, 2019

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Shinji2015 posted:

I think there's a good chance that the eventual NFCE playoff team is going to be the division winner that finishes worst than a team missing the playoffs this year.

Given the Panthers, Seahawks and Vikings are all at least 5-3 or better you might not be wrong.

Also I refuse to believe that a team that lost to the Jets is 5-3 themselves.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottKacsmar/status/1191268079579402240

The Ravens have been very good at taking the ball and going home.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Cat is continuing to inspire

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4fViy_pFk5/?igshid=1fybtjzfct2m0

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Armitage posted:

https://twitter.com/mattlombardonfl/status/1191593220205154304?s=21

It’s time to bench Baker and Jenkins at this point. They drafted Julian Love and wasted a supplemental pick on Sam Beal, it’s time to see if they actually have anything.

Ouch. How many games has he started this year and still doesn't know the playbook?

I was put off by Baker because despite his impressive college career his testing numbers weren't that good and I wondered if he could really keep up in the NFL. That could be part of the problem, he's a 4.5 40 guy going up against 4.3 40 guys

Grittybeard posted:

That's actually a pretty decent ball by Stafford considering.

Man that's a GREAT ball actually. It hit him right in the hands. It was basically the only place it could be, and thrown from a really awkward position while backpedaling with a defender who didn't bite on the play fake one bit right in his face.

Stafford has opened my eyes this year. I kinda thought he might be toast after watching him last year, but now that he's healthy and the Lions have an offensive line that can actually give him a bit of time he's been showing out. Kinda the same story with Carr actually, both guys looking better than they have for a while

AndrewP posted:

In total that game, Ravens maintained possession for 37:01 to the Patriots' 22:59 which was clearly the key to the win.

The Eagles put together some massive drives against the Bears this week too, including an 8:37 69 yard drive to win the game and held the ball for 40:18 which is the most so far this year. Basically if you can get above 35 minutes you have a pretty good chance to win because your opponent only has so many opportunities to score.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

Ouch. How many games has he started this year and still doesn't know the playbook?

I was put off by Baker because despite his impressive college career his testing numbers weren't that good and I wondered if he could really keep up in the NFL. That could be part of the problem, he's a 4.5 40 guy going up against 4.3 40 guys

This is funny because you could tell on the DPI in the 4th, he just couldn't keep up with Cooper and was just grabbing at him to keep up

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Play posted:

subversion of expectations is the basis of all comedy

Sometimes repetition makes something funny.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

DariusLikewise posted:

This is funny because you could tell on the DPI in the 4th, he just couldn't keep up with Cooper and was just grabbing at him to keep up

Yeah, it was a little bit obvious on the replay. It wasn't anything blatant, but just enough to get flagged. If Shurmur challenged this one instead of the one on the previous Giants drive this one was probably not getting overturned.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AndrewP posted:

This is what I mean by drive sustain. That is such a killer to the opposing team if you can do it. And these Ravens sure can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

OneMoreTime posted:

Given the Panthers, Seahawks and Vikings are all at least 5-3 or better you might not be wrong.

Also I refuse to believe that a team that lost to the Jets is 5-3 themselves.

I'm assuming the Panthers miss the playoffs this year. Not that I want them to; the NFC is stacked this year, and I think the wildcard slots are going to the NFCN and NFCW. If the Panthers had won against against the Rams, I'd feel better about their chances, but right now, I think they're going to lose it via tiebreakers.

The Rams are more likely to miss the playoffs than the Seahawks right now.