Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I love it. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Any updates from the Land of the Mouse?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I think there are many! I visited Aeka for the first time in a while a couple weeks back and I completely forgot to check out my old car. He has made progress though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry fellas, when I took it back down for the engine rebuild I also changed out the turbo to a v band. I also had to get a new housing and it took over 6 months to get.
In this time I also transitioned jobs. I left the auto sports industry to work for The Mouse. Hours are tough. I got myself a welder and I plan on re doing some intercooler piping for the turbo. Hopefully I'll get back to it. I work 3rd shift now so my body hates me.

Edit: I realized I already explained some of this, lol. I'm so tired.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Bump for any updates!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Rebuilt engine runs. Paint started to go and I opted for a color change. To stay low key, goodbye red. I may have some photos in a bit. I am doing the color change panel by panel. The color between panels match as I'm not doing any crazy metallics or anything, I was really worried that the color wouldn't match by painting it this way, but it is actually looking good. Plus I don't get any tape lines or bullshit half measured this way. Just a huge pain in the rear end.
I also have a PDR guy coming to knock a few bigger dents out before I continue painting.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 3, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Rebuilt engine runs. Paint started to go and I opted for a color change. To stay low key, goodbye red. I may have some photos in a bit. I am doing the color change panel by panel. The color between panels match as I'm not doing any crazy metallics or anything, I was really worried that the color wouldn't match by painting it this way, but it is actually looking good. Plus I don't get any tape lines or bullshit half measured this way. Just a huge pain in the rear end.
I also have a PDR guy coming to knock a few bigger dents out before I continue painting.

RISE MY SON!

Glad to see you're still around and the car is being worked on. Photos would be great!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Looking forward to seeing the color. Are you painting the engine bay as well? And what type of port are you going with on this engine?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I never thought I'd see an updated Aeka FD thread, wow. Amazing to see you putting time in it, it can be so hard to get multi-year issues sorted out.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah nights has taken a lot of drive out of me, but i got a fire under my rear end to do something so here we are.

I may as well not tease anyone any longer. So here is the color. It is the new Toyota "Lunar Rock."

Slowly going panel by panel.
Mainly going this route for the time i have, and I can get every edge without having tape lines on poo poo. I won't be painting the engine bay, but everything else will be the new color, jams, edges, whatever else shows. Engine I can do after the next rebuild (lol).

Of course i got some sweet runs in it.

Had a PDR guy do his best, it wasnt. but its better than i can do:

Because of course of course there would be rust. A piece of sound deadening material was holding moisture. Cutting the bitch out, and applying 2k epoxy inside and out while waiting for some metal to weld in place.
used some rust converter to kill what was left and used a disc pad to strip what i could before paint.

The plan is to epoxy what I can, then after welding use 3M cavity wax. I want to stay away from any 1k product or bullshit. If anyone else has a better idea, let me know because i don't know poo poo!
I just want to paint, man.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Also in the time between project updates I had a pool put in.

Pic for the pool nerds.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That color is going to look fantaaaaaastic on that car.

Cool pool too!

Also, it took me way too long to work out what "WLT BSTR" was. Welt Baster? Ew!

Wallet Buster, in case anyone else didn't work it out

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Wallet Buster, in case anyone else didn't work it out

If it makes you feel any better that had to be explained to me. And I see this car at least once a year.

Very cool color Aeka. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not a fabricator or welder. But I will cut metal until it shapes the shape i need.

Rough as hell, but I'll beat it in place.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I'm trying to weld the panel in but I've come to a part where I'm chasing blowouts on one section. I can't get to the backside to clean it, so I'm at a loss as to finish my work by welding, so I need an alternative way to fill the little holes that are left. Epoxy? Resin? What is the way?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Lead solder? That's what I used to fill rust (pin) holes in a FC3S 14 years ago.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

McTinkerson posted:

Lead solder? That's what I used to fill rust (pin) holes in a FC3S 14 years ago.

Do I need these expensive kits or is it a get some rods and melt them down kind of thing?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Do I need these expensive kits or is it a get some rods and melt them down kind of thing?

I just used a gigantic tub of flux, a plumbers handheld oxy torch and Home Depot paint stir sticks. The lead I did order from Eastwood but I certainly didn't use a kit.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 1, 2024

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds about what I looked into. I'll go that route.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Got the piece in. It didnt come out perfect. There are a lot of curves and bends, but it gets covered by a mud guard anyway.

Removed the body shutz, i will protect the rockers with clear guard tape stuff instead.

What is done so far

Mudding up some dings

Couldn't get the windshield out without breaking it, but to paint around and check for rust was worth it

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 3, 2024

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Got the chassis sprayed:

The Devillbiss really layed it down nice

Have some runs/sag at the gas tank spout, gonna have to fix that once it hardens.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That paint looks absolutely amazing. It's crazy how well such a subtle colour works with the lines of the FD.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Had a few skeptics in my friend circle, but realized how good it looked once done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Got one door down:

on to the 2nd