Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Problem description: Over the last ~ week or so, my system would flash a black screen and automatically reboot occasionally. around 3 days ago, it happened again and windows would not load. I re-formatted SSD and reinstalled windows. Problem persists. Sometimes I can go for hours and hours of normal use (browsing forums, watching twitch, playing dota) with no problem, sometimes it just blips out when nothing is happening. Looking at the event viewer, The crash is always a Critical event ID 41, but the additional information does not make much sense to me. The critical event is always preceded by an Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs) Event-ID 98, which google makes me think is something related to a harddrive. My gut feeling is that some piece of hardware (probably a harddrive) is starting to fail. So far, I've been unable to determine which piece might be the culprit.

Attempted fixes: I reformatted my SSD and reinstalled windows. ran chkdsk on both hard drives, came up clean. disabled non-SSD HD by removing the drive letter to unmount the drive (thinking that I'm only really using the SSD right now, so I should probably disable the HDD incase it is the problem. This seemed easier than taking apart the case again.) Disabled automatic restart hoping to see an actual BSOD, but it still just behaves like the power has been cycled.

Recent changes: No hardware changes, and I do not believe there were any updates around the time in question

Operating system: Window 10 64 bit

System specs:
ASUS Prime X470-Pro AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit
Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
Seagate Constellation ES ST1000NM0011 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 8GB WINDFORCE OC
Seasonic G Series 650 SSR-650RM 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit - added powersupply

Bann fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A friend of mine had an issue recently where his PC would crash and fail to reboot and he tracked it down to needing a BIOS update for his motherboard. Now, his gear is all way older than yours so perhaps it's more likely he'd have a Windows update cause an issue with his hardware, but maybe worth looking into?

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Gromit posted:

A friend of mine had an issue recently where his PC would crash and fail to reboot and he tracked it down to needing a BIOS update for his motherboard. Now, his gear is all way older than yours so perhaps it's more likely he'd have a Windows update cause an issue with his hardware, but maybe worth looking into?

Thanks for the lead. I did go ahead and update the bios, but my issue remained. Still suspecting the harddrive, I opened up the case again and physically removed my secondary drive (the seagate HDD.) Its now been 3 days of moderate/heavy use without a re-occurrence. If my machine starts restarting again, I'll update further, but hopefully I will not have a reason too.