Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1168880/MOLEKSYNTEZ/

quote:

Use the MOLEK-SYNTEZ to create small molecules with various pharmacological effects from the comfort of your small Romanian apartment.

looks like a cross between magnum opus and spacechem. will czech it out tonight and report back.

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqf1V5tCaXM

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you write software for work maybe find a hobby that isn't just a gamified version of your job?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What the heck? Where did this come from?

Thanks for the heads-up.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

qirex posted:

if you write software for work maybe find a hobby that isn't just a gamified version of your job?

pft get a load of this guy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
next you'll be telling me not to also spend all my weekends on hobby programming projects

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

:gb2gbs:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
game is good. haven't had to use the push pull rotate advance controls much yet. i also frequently end up with everything done on one cycle except for collection which becomes all alone on the next cycle which doesn't feel efficient.

story is toned down but it's half the normal price and i click through that poo poo on all the other games very quickly anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
beat my shenzhen io scores

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it’s good now but just wait until they release the pay to win micro transaction loot boxes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
game seems good. rotating stuff is tricky - it rotates around the closest atom to the manipulator, so depending on your molecule shape rotating and immediately rotating back is effectively a translation (in a different direction from how that manipulator normally translates). trying to orchestrate things when going for minimum modules hurts my brain.

about halfway through, things still seem quite easy to complete but optimizing is getting tough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also i really wish i could overlap the end of one cycle with the start of the next if they don't conflict, but you just don't get any sort of construct that would allow to do that. (unless you can arrange it so that a manipulator isn't pointing at any of the inputs, but is pointing at where the output will be, which seems like a pain to deliberately orchestrate that won't really pay off).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jabor posted:

game seems good. rotating stuff is tricky - it rotates around the closest atom to the manipulator, so depending on your molecule shape rotating and immediately rotating back is effectively a translation (in a different direction from how that manipulator normally translates). trying to orchestrate things when going for minimum modules hurts my brain.

about halfway through, things still seem quite easy to complete but optimizing is getting tough.
Ahh had assumed it would rotate around the atom pointed to by the manipulator - this is weirder and more interesting. Still trying to wrap my head around this game by optimizing my ethanol solution.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

beat my shenzhen io scores

i can't lol :worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

What the heck? Where did this come from?

Thanks for the heads-up.

they always come out of left field

I played it last night and go to the level past amphetamine

it lacks anything even resembling a tutorial

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I see my scores are much higher and hence better than anyone I am friends with on steam

my steam name is either mandruku (original and true account name) or echinopsis which I think is what it shows up as

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what “frustrates” is is that it doesn’t show charges on unsaturated atoms lol

like I was looking at why one of mine was wrong and it was simply lacking a hydrogen, it should have a negative charge. it would be cool I guess if the molecules obeyed real chemistry rules but also it’s just a game .. because I am pretty sure if there was a positive charge on a molecule it can’t just be any where but that the whole molecule would shift its hydrogens around so that the positive charge was in the place on the molecule it was most likely to go

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
now now there's two sentences in the first puzzle and one more in the next lol.

general tutorial for folks:

Atoms will have a number of Hs that they 'prefer'. Any less than that number (detailed in the bottom right, 2 for O 4 for C etc) and they will bond with adjacent atoms that also have less than that number. Even less than that and they will double bond. Any atom that is in this state (ready to bond) will have a bold outline. AFAICT all precursors start out with all atoms at 'full' H (including bonds), and so to make them reactive you will have to shunt or remove an H as a starting step. Or, indirectly, you could add an H to a neighbour reducing the bonds to your target molecule thus making it reactive too.

break bonds by adding H, induce bonds by removing H.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

what “frustrates” is is that it doesn’t show charges on unsaturated atoms lol

like I was looking at why one of mine was wrong and it was simply lacking a hydrogen, it should have a negative charge. it would be cool I guess if the molecules obeyed real chemistry rules but also it’s just a game .. because I am pretty sure if there was a positive charge on a molecule it can’t just be any where but that the whole molecule would shift its hydrogens around so that the positive charge was in the place on the molecule it was most likely to go

there's no electrons involved so it's best not to think about charge at all really. it's messing you up. saturation is the better frame of mind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Anyone here manage to do ethanol in fewer than 60 cycles? I need a hint. I feel like I gotta understand this before I move on, seems like a pretty core thing I'm missing if this can be improved.

edit: got 59, okay, but there's still room to improve

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

now now there's two sentences in the first puzzle and one more in the next lol.

general tutorial for folks:

Atoms will have a number of Hs that they 'prefer'. Any less than that number (detailed in the bottom right, 2 for O 4 for C etc) and they will bond with adjacent atoms that also have less than that number. Even less than that and they will double bond. Any atom that is in this state (ready to bond) will have a bold outline. AFAICT all precursors start out with all atoms at 'full' H (including bonds), and so to make them reactive you will have to shunt or remove an H as a starting step. Or, indirectly, you could add an H to a neighbour reducing the bonds to your target molecule thus making it reactive too.

break bonds by adding H, induce bonds by removing H.

The one I’m trying to solve is breaking a bond.. i’m trying to break an oxygen off the end of a molecule, do i throw hydrogens at the bonded neighbour until the oxygen is free?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You have two options: you can H+ on whatever the oxygen is connected to until it lets go, or you can H+ on the oxygen itself.

Which one is easier depends on the specific puzzle.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You could also shunt a loose hydrogen from elsewhere onto the atom next to the oxygen. That would let you remove a hydrogen from one atom and add it to another in one instruction, if that's something you need. Not sure how the game decides which bond to break when you add a hydrogen to something, but I'm guessing it's going to be important.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
have yet to experiment with what shunting a hydrogen does

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

echinopsis posted:

have yet to experiment with what shunting a hydrogen does

It definitely seems important to optimizing - it can take the place of two other instructions, so it's often advantageous to use it when you're both adding and removing a hydrogen in the same puzzle. It basically kicks a hydrogen off the atom being pointed to, at which point it continues until it hits another atom along the same line, where it stays.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ok did a bunch tonight. i'm wiped. should be pretty good benchmarks for cycle count.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, this looks fun. i can play it with the shutters closed and my mixtape of recordings of humming appliances.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It definitely seems important to optimizing - it can take the place of two other instructions, so it's often advantageous to use it when you're both adding and removing a hydrogen in the same puzzle. It basically kicks a hydrogen off the atom being pointed to, at which point it continues until it hits another atom along the same line, where it stays.

it's great when it works

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

zachtronics games are probably the thing I miss the most about pretty much playing only switch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
buy a pc and ditch the casual lifestyle

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's not like you need much of a pc for them

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

buy a pc and ditch the casual lifestyle

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The latest update means you can output on the final cycle instead of after it so you get free optimization on many solutions

but you have to go run your solutions again either way since it word wiped leaderboards

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the issue isn't not having a computer, the issue is that using a computer for recreation is a big hell no from me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yospos?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

the issue isn't not having a computer, the issue is that using a computer for recreation is a big hell no from me

computers are gateways (rip)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this game teaches you how to make ketamine