Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This was a few years ago but its still not hard to find very affordable options in the Bronx. I'm seeing on bedroom (in a 2 br, like I had) for $700/mo in my old neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Eh, he's right, at least for certain values of "bedroom": values that pretty much stop at "room that contains a bed".

For example, look at this homey find for just $750/mo!
https://www.trulia.com/rental/4075026128-3345-Seymour-Ave-B-Bronx-NY-10469

Or how about this lovely palace, a steal at just $900/mo?
https://www.trulia.com/rental/4073663539-1654-Popham-Ave-3K-Bronx-NY-10453

And let's not forget this spectacular number at just $800/mo!
https://www.trulia.com/rental/4064540634-Multi-Family-Home-Bronx-NY-10466

I can't get the pictures on these pages to upload to imgur or SA from my phone for some reason, but each and every one of you will be missing out if you don't check out the photos of these stupendous deals!

Note that in cases like these, you're not getting a whole apartment - you're just getting these single bedrooms, and everything else (bathrooms, kitchen, etc) is shared with everyone else the slumlord has rented those closets-turned-bedrooms to!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was fortunate because I found a bedroom that was quite spacious. And it was in Tremont right by the 4 and D so I could basically get anywhere I wanted (plus easy bus access to Inwood). People would always talk about how far it was, but it wasn't any more time on the subway than "respectable" areas like Inwood or Astoria.

The topic isn't "how to live comfortably" it's "how to get rich" which involves a massive amount of hustle and finding a way to live substantially below your means in a city where you can leverage yourself for advancement. NYC is a city that doesn't tolerate mediocrity, so you've got to figure out what makes you good and do it fast. In a city like Indy you can float on comfortable mediocrity forever. Both have their virtues, but if you want a shot at a net worth that is self-sustainably rich, one will get you there and the other won't.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

I was fortunate because I found a bedroom that was quite spacious. And it was in Tremont right by the 4 and D so I could basically get anywhere I wanted (plus easy bus access to Inwood). People would always talk about how far it was, but it wasn't any more time on the subway than "respectable" areas like Inwood or Astoria.

The topic isn't "how to live comfortably" it's "how to get rich" which involves a massive amount of hustle and finding a way to live substantially below your means in a city where you can leverage yourself for advancement. NYC is a city that doesn't tolerate mediocrity, so you've got to figure out what makes you good and do it fast. In a city like Indy you can float on comfortable mediocrity forever. Both have their virtues, but if you want a shot at a net worth that is self-sustainably rich, one will get you there and the other won't.

If you got rich, I'm pretty sure it had more to do with making $200k a year than it did with saving $150/mo on rent. No amount of nickel-and-diming is going to turn a $20k/yr income into never having to work again.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

If you got rich, I'm pretty sure it had more to do with making $200k a year than it did with saving $150/mo on rent. No amount of nickel-and-diming is going to turn a $20k/yr income into never having to work again.

I agree completely. But I wouldn't have had the option to upgrade my $20K/yr career path to a $200K/yr path in Indy, nor the inclination. However, having rent that I could afford on unemployment while I transitioned careers in a city that makes that transition possible was a huge stepping stone for me. If I had stayed in Indy, I would have absolutely plateaued much earlier, because what's the point of having more than like $100K in Indy? After I left NYC for Oakland, I've continued to have my income grow because the ceiling here is much higher so there is more out there to get. I'm still not rich by a longshot but I've got a comfortable life.

But you are right, it wasn't saving $150/mo on rent. It was moving to NYC, which was my suggestion. Being able to live in NYC in a cost-effective manner gave me freedom to move around grow. My recommendation was to move to NYC because it is a crucible. That means, unless you are very lucky, you will likely fail at first. Which means you need to do it in a cost-effective manner to recover from that failure. Luck plays a huge role in life so you need to be able to account for normal luck. And of course bad luck can gently caress anybody over. People act like you can't live in NYC for cheap, but you can! Especially because of the huge public infrastructure.

I've known people who hate their career paths and are only every going to be moderately successful because they hate it, but are trapped by their lifestyles so they can't afford to change paths either. No matter what your income, that's a seriously bad place to be. It's a non-starter as a path for wealth but it's also terrible from a personal enjoyment/satisfaction level. Like, we've all had jobs that we hate and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

I agree completely. But I wouldn't have had the option to upgrade my $20K/yr career path to a $200K/yr path in Indy, nor the inclination. However, having rent that I could afford on unemployment while I transitioned careers in a city that makes that transition possible was a huge stepping stone for me. If I had stayed in Indy, I would have absolutely plateaued much earlier, because what's the point of having more than like $100K in Indy? After I left NYC for Oakland, I've continued to have my income grow because the ceiling here is much higher so there is more out there to get. I'm still not rich by a longshot but I've got a comfortable life.

But you are right, it wasn't saving $150/mo on rent. It was moving to NYC, which was my suggestion. Being able to live in NYC in a cost-effective manner gave me freedom to move around grow. My recommendation was to move to NYC because it is a crucible. That means, unless you are very lucky, you will likely fail at first. Which means you need to do it in a cost-effective manner to recover from that failure. Luck plays a huge role in life so you need to be able to account for normal luck. And of course bad luck can gently caress anybody over. People act like you can't live in NYC for cheap, but you can! Especially because of the huge public infrastructure.

I've known people who hate their career paths and are only every going to be moderately successful because they hate it, but are trapped by their lifestyles so they can't afford to change paths either. No matter what your income, that's a seriously bad place to be. It's a non-starter as a path for wealth but it's also terrible from a personal enjoyment/satisfaction level. Like, we've all had jobs that we hate and it sucks.

i liked your anprim gimmick better