Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How did you get the broken probe tip back?

You're seeing the cold end where it connects to the logger housing. We score the titanium tubing a few inches from the connector, so if the vent chimney grows around the shaft, the vehicle's manipulator can grab the shaft close to the connector and bend/snap the tubing. The thermocouple wires break really easily too. There's no way to recover the rest of the tip, the chimney grows around it and encases it in veritable cement.

Here's an outdated description: https://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=17623&print=this
The last photo shows a manipulator about to snap one off.

You can check out some photos by checking americangeophysicalunion on Instagram. Lots of the recent underwater photos are taken by cameras that I designed, built, or serviced.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Gotcha. I figured maybe you had some cool method for getting the broken-off tip out of the vent.

That is a very cool job.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Gotcha. I figured maybe you had some cool method for getting the broken-off tip out of the vent.

That is a very cool job.

It is an incredible job. I've been exceedingly fortunate. I don't go on the cruises, but it's great to see the data/photos/video from the operations. If you're interested, there's a deep-sea thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889262

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
A package arrived!

Sweet! garage decorations, some kind of ford part (relay? IAC? i dunno), hand cleaner which I am almost out of, and a nice ratchet screwdriver which my kids are already losing bits for. Thanks clam ache!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So, final stats? Any deadbeats?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

sharkytm posted:

So, final stats? Any deadbeats?

Thanks for the prompt! I've been meaning to check if anyone was missing a package.

If the grinch has visited instead of Santa, please speak up now!

I believe I've had shipping confirmation from everyone so it's likely a case of postal malfeasance than any deadbeats here in AI

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Huge thanks to my Santa for all the goodies - the hot sauce is much hotter than expected, I love hot wheels, and my father in law loves zippo's so that worked out great!

Also the glass thing actually fit a larger contraption I have perfectly!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
In the absense of any complaints about missing packages, I'm going to wrap this up and say thank-you to all involved.

This year we had 33 participants from 5 countries. Coincidentally those countries were all Five Eyes members :ninja:

As far as I'm aware, we had no deadbeats, which is a super heartwarming thing.

Thanks everyone for paticipating, I really do think that this is a great AI tradition that helps humaise and bring together a great community.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks for organizing it! As a first-timer, I enjoyed it and I plan to come back next year and up my game.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It was awesome, thanks for organizing!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Thank you, Slothrop!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Thanks for running it!
I've already got some stuff for next year

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Thanks for running it this time Slothrop!

I too have set aside a couple stickers already for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap posted:

Part II: The Flat Part
starring Echotic

The thoughtful artwork continues! Genuinely blown away by the time taken to carve out cardboard:

I took the liberty of making magnets of of your souvenirs!