Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogieman
Nov 4, 2009
We need a bit of advice. My wife and I adopted a dog from a shelter (half-Husky, other half unknown). He is very friendly, mostly with me so far since I am the one who plays with him and takes him for walks, but he really seems like he doesn't want to be here. He has gotten out of the yard twice to go play with other dogs in the neighborhood, and we have since started keeping him on a lead even in the yard, though he still jumps the fence with the lead on.

On top of that he has pretty bad separation anxiety. My wife left him alone for a few minutes and he tore up the screens, curtains, and a door trying to find a way out. We are starting to try crate training him, but he is having none of it. We got him in a few times following advice from online, but once we tried closing the door he got onto us and always leaves his back paws out. I spent a couple days just giving him treats for going in, and we tried closing the door today. He was ok, but started whining immediately, even with me sitting right next to him.

We had an American Bulldog before and she was stubborn, but she pretty much trained herself. This is a new experience and we feel completely out of our element, but we don't want to give up on him. I've already made the fence taller with chicken wire, blocked up the first hole he found and preemptively blocked off some others.

Are we totally boned here. I don't want Buddy to get hurt trying to get out or going through a window or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If his separation anxiety is so bad that he's risking hurting himself you may need to contact your vet about medication and/or a veterinary behaviorist about a comprehensive training plan with meds. The books I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell and I'll Be Home Soon! by Nicole Wilde would also be good places to start.

Huskies are notorious escape artists so keeping him on lead in the yard might be an ongoing thing. Don't leave him unattended because they can absolutely strangle themselves jumping fences while on tieouts.

A husky mix is a totally different beast than an ambull! The prims just don't give a poo poo in their own endearing way. There used to be a prim thread here that was a good resource but maybe talking to husky rescues or breed clubs in your area about what to expect going forward might be helpful for you.