Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

its Dec 1 now and I think tensions would be dissipated somewhat if we knew what the admins' plan was for the thread

did plinkey do any of the things jeffrey asked for? does it matter? is it worth keeping a more informal fund around, or is it considered a liability for a lack of simple documentation? I think at this point someone needs to make a decision and give an answer, regardless of what that answer turns out to be.

The admin position was posted a month ago and hasn't changed.

1) The thread was marked as "unofficial" and un-stickied.

2) Plinkey is running this with no transparency and possibly going to run into tax issues in 2023, but it is pretty clear in the OP that you are sending the money into a black box and people should realize that.

3) It is not endorsed by SA and people know what they are getting into when they give money. It's not clear what happens to extra money at the end of each month, if 100% of the money goes out every month, or what he is doing for tax purposes, but he is upfront about that in the OP. Many people have definitely been helped by it, but it is also totally possible for many people to be helped and still have a large chunk skimmed off the top. We won't know without documentation, but the people donating generally are doing it because they trust Plinkey and understand that he is running this in this way. I think everyone - especially at this point - pretty much knows that.

4) There is a new more transparent and legal charity goonfund being set up and people are welcome to donate there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4014910

Please try not to poo poo up this thread or the other one too much.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

did plinkey do any of the things jeffrey asked for?

He was supposed to provide a spreadsheet with some info by November 17th, but did not. It was not an official demand or a condition for anything, but Jeff asked and he said he would. Jeff directed him to a lawyer who could help him set up a charity to avoid tax issues, but it wasn't followed through on. He is not required to do that, though.

I don't think Jeff has had any further discussion with him about the fund, but if he does and if there are any changes, then I am sure he will announce it. There has been nothing in the mod forum about any further discussions and the only thing we have been told are the points above and note that neither of the funds are officially supported by SA, so caveat emptor for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fun hater posted:

so you have to give money to the fund to have an opinion on it, but if you dont like how its run then dont give money to it. ????

i do

at this point, yeah
you're not the government, if people want to throw their money in the black box let them
if you don't want to, give money to the other fund
go help people

I think everybody involved is sufficiently aware some random people with no affiliation suggested Plinkey may have spent money inappropriately. Put it in the first post in big red letters for all I loving care just get the gently caress over it already, let this go back to being a banal thread where people can ask for money without having to wade through pages of this bullshit and let the other thread have your money

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

for me, I just really hate the idea of a bunch of people getting fleeced, even if they are loudly yelling "FLEECE ME, FLEECE ME" but I guess I should really just mind my business and let them be fleeced. good luck, pals. only give money to this fund if you're doing quite well financially and can afford it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

grieving for Gandalf posted:

for me, I just really hate the idea of a bunch of people getting fleeced, even if they are loudly yelling "FLEECE ME, FLEECE ME" but I guess I should really just mind my business and let them be fleeced. good luck, pals. only give money to this fund if you're doing quite well financially and can afford it

its this lol. its unfathomable to me that a group of people united under the assumption that they all want to improve peoples lives, especially financially and for those most likely to be taken advantage of, are angry and defensive to the point of parody over legitimate criticism.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

grieving for Gandalf posted:

has anyone felt fleeced but kept paying in anyway? people complain more if the podcast they’re paying twice as much for on the same platform releases a live episode instead.

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

jarofpiss posted:

it's actually good to have a tight scope on what your project is trying to accomplish and i think this thread did a perfectly good job of that.

dorks and nerds (liberals) across the world feel a deep need to turn every altruistic program into a charity with committees and fundraising and titles etc because their brains are so thoroughly broken by capitalism that even when they try to create a structure that alleviates the suffering caused by it, they can't help but replicate the structures that create the suffering in the first place. they have no other frame of reference to create a program.

literally every charity in the world has a board packed to the gills with people with "business experience" and focuses on fundraising and efficiency and oversight to make sure nobody gets one over on the charity. it costs huge amounts of time and resources and is absolutely completely insane. they just can't see it from any other perspective.

this never appeared to me to be a project that was aspiring to liberate people from capitalism, and it doesn't require oversight and a board and audits and fundraising drives and forms and papers etc. what's wrong with a simple straightforward agreement that lets one person hand out money to people who ask? why does it have to be a full on GOON PROJECT? who really cares if a bunch of people have a $5 auto patreon payment they've forgotten about and some sub-optimal percentage of funds is getting distributed, or the response time isn't immediate? why the push for the committee oversight on the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray?

Oversights, boards, and audits are all good things.

Then again, not particularly surprising that a bunch of Stalinists would be against checks and balances.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fun hater posted:

its this lol. its unfathomable to me that a group of people united under the assumption that they all want to improve peoples lives, especially financially and for those most likely to be taken advantage of, are angry and defensive to the point of parody over legitimate criticism.

Take your crocodile tears somewhere else

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Take your crocodile tears somewhere else

if there were ever a sign from god that i was on the right moral path, its being told by the goon known only for how much he wants to run through a ASPCA like hes playing a doom .wad that im faking my empathy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fun hater posted:

if there were ever a sign from god that i was on the right moral path, its being told by the goon known only for how much he wants to run through a ASPCA like hes playing a doom .wad that im faking my empathy

that's not fair, IC also posts about strip clubs

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that's not fair, IC also posts about strip clubs

concerning escalation

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The admin position was posted a month ago and hasn't He was supposed to provide a spreadsheet with some info by November 17th, but did not. It was not an official demand or a condition for anything, but Jeff asked and he said he would. Jeff directed him to a lawyer who could help him set up a charity to avoid tax issues, but it wasn't followed through on. He is not required to do that, though.

ah well nevertheless

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

City Slicker posted:

Oversights, boards, and audits are all good things.

Then again, not particularly surprising that a bunch of Stalinists would be against checks and balances.

lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My only real position on all of this is that Plinkey could have avoided a lot of this bullshit drama (as well as potentially more serious stuff) by setting things up differently, but he's hardly the first person whose heart was in the right place but whose head may be found elsewhere. I've seen no actual evidence that anyone's been defrauded, just a lot of people saying "it could have happened and it would be bad if it did ps did you know he gambles", all of which is true but none of which is actual evidence of fraud.

(Note: I am not asking for such evidence. I'm not listening. I don't care.)

Other thread is doing good work (and I assume the UK one is too) and hopefully this thread will get back to doing good work again and hopefully Plinkey won't get murdered on back taxes next year and God bless us every one.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
I think its really funny that so many bad faith concern trolls only posts in cpsam are in this thread

mods do your jobs

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 98 days!

tenderjerk posted:

I think its really funny that so many bad faith concern trolls only posts in cpsam are in this thread

mods do your jobs

i think we should set up enforced borders with armed checkpoints between the forums, personally. maybe some big beautiful walls

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I think there isn't much else to say at this point. Plinkey is free to reopen this thread and post here but until he does I'm going to keep the thread closed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I probated Plinkey indefinitely with some pretty serious terms - I must insist that he no longer be in charge of the goonfund. Responding to inquiries with a tantrum is too ridiculous and destructive for me. I don't like that it's come to this, but the bar I set for him was really low. Finding another operator for the fund is simply the only way that this can continue.

I made it a probation and not an immediate permaban in hopes that the money already in the patreon can go to helping goons in need. If he doesn’t show some follow through in one week, he will be permabanned.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Status update here.

Plinkey has communicated to me that he is ceasing operations. He has sent me a spreadsheet of november payouts, and indicates he is issuing refunds to anyone who paid in December. He has sent me a spreadsheet of "refund status" with all December donors, showing who has already been refunded. He has indicated that he needs a response to an email in order to issue a refund.

People who have donated to the fund can help here. Please let me know, via PM or email, if you've gotten a refund or email from plinkey about a refund for December. Please include your patreon email address. I cannot possibly verify every donor got a refund personally, but I would still like to have a sampling.

I have edited out the patreon link and changed the title of this thread to indicate it is defunct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Alright. First and foremost, yeah, it's unacceptable how long I've taken to report back on this. I'm sorry for that - it's one of many things that got away from me and that's not really remotely acceptable.

This situation has a bunch of unknowns, and answers no one can have but plinkey. I won't pretend to be a financial auditor and it's not really possible for me to have certainty of anything.

Plinkey has:
- Shut down the fund.
- Sent me a list of payouts for November along with the total in the fund. This was as I asked.
- Sent me a spreadsheet listing "refund status" for December payments.

He conveyed to me that, when I told him to shut it down, the december autopayment had already been initiated to move money to the fund's account, and he began offering people refunds manually. He emailed each donor and offered their money back. Some of them told him to keep it, and some of them accepted a refund. Many people confirmed to me they received these refund offers. According to Plinkey, no one has responded to one of these refund offers since December. However, the majority of the donors did not respond at all. So, I am going to ask both here and in the original goonfund thread- did anyone at all give money in December, expect to see a refund, and not get an email about it?

My inclination is to free him if no one reports that they have not been offered a refund. As far as I can tell, he has complied and done what I've asked of him. I have not seen any direct signs of wrongdoing here.