Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Concept: Basically a child (or the closest thing possible), watched Advent murder their family, decided to gently caress that poo poo, time to murder back. Slightly unhinged. Unhappy to retreat, if a retreat is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Concept: A Catachan assault expert adds some Guard expertise to the local PDF. Sleeveless vest, red rambo bandana, fond of kicking doors, harder than diamonds. It's a Catachan, you know how this goes. Frequently has anecdotes about that time some terrifying wildlife tried to eat him. Probably gets along well with any Australians you got hanging around, but still calls them a bunch of weenies because their poisonous spiders aren't even ten feet tall.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Concept: Basically a Psycho from the Borderlands series. Prone to yelling garbled profanities, several million screws loose, yells at anything and everything.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Because I love dumb gimmicks and running things into the ground

Concept: A Totally Legit Humie Person. Likes Gettin Stuck in wif da boyz. Preferz it up close dan fillin gitz wif dakka. Not dat dere's nuiffin wrong wif more Dakka.
His occasional patches of green are a skin condition. Likes Purple and masks.

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib

Veloxyll posted:

Concept: A Totally Legit Humie Person. Likes Gettin Stuck in wif da boyz. Preferz it up close dan fillin gitz wif dakka. Not dat dere's nuiffin wrong wif more Dakka.

Call him Hugh Mann.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sounds like one well 'ard kommando.
:hellyeah:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Veteran space marine who's fought Necrons too many times and is convinced everything is a Necron conspiracy. That guy could be mindshackle scarab'd! Is that green a lovely plasma gun, or gauss flayers?

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

Servant of the God Emperor of Mankind

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Veteran space marine who's fought Necrons too many times and is convinced everything is a Necron conspiracy. That guy could be mindshackle scarab'd! Is that green a lovely plasma gun, or gauss flayers?

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Concept: A Catachan assault expert adds some Guard expertise to the local PDF. Sleeveless vest, red rambo bandana, fond of kicking doors, harder than diamonds. It's a Catachan, you know how this goes. Frequently has anecdotes about that time some terrifying wildlife tried to eat him. Probably gets along well with any Australians you got hanging around, but still calls them a bunch of weenies because their poisonous spiders aren't even ten feet tall.

HereticMIND posted:

Concept: Basically a Psycho from the Borderlands series. Prone to yelling garbled profanities, several million screws loose, yells at anything and everything.

cambrian obelus posted:

Character Concept: Former alcoholic now evangelical recently lost his faith. He needs something, some cause, to believe in to keep from relapsing.

all these are accepted

Veloxyll posted:

If I can figure out some way to fnagle my current various cosmetic mods into something Orky I will 100% do this.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Okay! Throwing in another one.

Fox. Call him Fox. He worked in an American federal investigative agency in the early 1990's and early 2000's. Fox had a fascination with the bizarre. An obsession with the occult. But of Fox's true obsession was with 'Extraterrestrials'. Convinced from a young age that his missing sister had been kidnapped by aliens and that he was the victim of some large government/international conspiracy to cover up thier existence, Fox believed that the only way to prove it was to be a part of the system. A smart, canny investigator with a taste for theatrics and panache, Fox was mostly an irritant internally within the federal agency that specialized in investigations kept on as he had Friends in High Places, was actually useful on occasion, and they could dump him in the basement with old casefiles. This would have been the end of Fox.. Until the first of two things that would impact his life. The first being assigned another partner in the small investigative division, a redhead with a medical degree whom ended up often performing autopsies.

The next was as the early 2000's hit and the number of cases, conspiracies, and seemingly endless array of labyrinthine bureaucracy which would seem to always exist to cover it up would come collapsing all down. A 'mutilated cattle' report came in that Fox and his partner went trapsizing through the Midwest to find. It would have in another world just been something idiosyncratic. Some sort of monster. A murderer with a fetish. Perhaps some strange sort of experimental agency being done by the government/big pharma. A couple of days in the field, getting hay in places and mud. As they arrived they would find most of the town deserted, the main thoroughfare bare.

Instead it was all that Fox had ever believed the world was and what was out of the world. And it was very, very different.

Fox and his partner arrived just as a Sectoid scouting saucer would be swooping in to collect the local town inhabitants that they had captured. And Fox saw aliens for the first time since his sister's abduction. The small alien gestured at him as he stood. Terrified. Fox blanked.

Hours later he returned to consciousness in a military base. His partner was not with him. The numerous armed men surrounding him informed the tied down Fox that he had been the only human found there alive. Fox went to yell at them, threaten them and with how they could not cover it up.. That he would tell the world.

Then The Man came forwards. He was elderly. He would be the Man in Black if the Men in Black were decrepit. Even in the hospital room in the base he smoked. His cheap trenchcoat smoked. And the man that smoked took another puff of his cigarette and went to speak down to Fox.

"Instead, Mister.. Mulder, is it? Let me tell you about the X-COM Project."

IT has been thirty years.

He has not seen his partner. She's dead. Or made into the genetic slushie like they say all the Advent troopers are. Fox hasn't seen the smoking man since then. All he knows is that humanity is treated as an alien on it's own world.

And he's going to get those xeno scum off it.

~And for the life of me I cannot fathom as to how there's not a fanfic of this. Heh.

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

wedgekree posted:

Okay! Throwing in another one.

Fox. Call him Fox. He worked in an American federal investigative agency in the early 1990's and early 2000's. Fox had a fascination with the bizarre. An obsession with the occult. But of Fox's true obsession was with 'Extraterrestrials'. Convinced from a young age that his missing sister had been kidnapped by aliens and that he was the victim of some large government/international conspiracy to cover up thier existence, Fox believed that the only way to prove it was to be a part of the system. A smart, canny investigator with a taste for theatrics and panache, Fox was mostly an irritant internally within the federal agency that specialized in investigations kept on as he had Friends in High Places, was actually useful on occasion, and they could dump him in the basement with old casefiles. This would have been the end of Fox.. Until the first of two things that would impact his life. The first being assigned another partner in the small investigative division, a redhead with a medical degree whom ended up often performing autopsies.

The next was as the early 2000's hit and the number of cases, conspiracies, and seemingly endless array of labyrinthine bureaucracy which would seem to always exist to cover it up would come collapsing all down. A 'mutilated cattle' report came in that Fox and his partner went trapsizing through the Midwest to find. It would have in another world just been something idiosyncratic. Some sort of monster. A murderer with a fetish. Perhaps some strange sort of experimental agency being done by the government/big pharma. A couple of days in the field, getting hay in places and mud. As they arrived they would find most of the town deserted, the main thoroughfare bare.

Instead it was all that Fox had ever believed the world was and what was out of the world. And it was very, very different.

Fox and his partner arrived just as a Sectoid scouting saucer would be swooping in to collect the local town inhabitants that they had captured. And Fox saw aliens for the first time since his sister's abduction. The small alien gestured at him as he stood. Terrified. Fox blanked.

Hours later he returned to consciousness in a military base. His partner was not with him. The numerous armed men surrounding him informed the tied down Fox that he had been the only human found there alive. Fox went to yell at them, threaten them and with how they could not cover it up.. That he would tell the world.

Then The Man came forwards. He was elderly. He would be the Man in Black if the Men in Black were decrepit. Even in the hospital room in the base he smoked. His cheap trenchcoat smoked. And the man that smoked took another puff of his cigarette and went to speak down to Fox.

"Instead, Mister.. Mulder, is it? Let me tell you about the X-COM Project."

IT has been thirty years.

He has not seen his partner. She's dead. Or made into the genetic slushie like they say all the Advent troopers are. Fox hasn't seen the smoking man since then. All he knows is that humanity is treated as an alien on it's own world.

And he's going to get those xeno scum off it.

~And for the life of me I cannot fathom as to how there's not a fanfic of this. Heh.

OK, wow! Yes, hell yes that's accepted. I'm also going to close submissions for non 40k personnel for now as I have enough concepts to fill up my roster and any new recruits for a while.

Also I'm hopeful that I'll get the next post out today soon. Sorry that it's taking so long, it's just that noncombat posts are a lot more writing heavy then the actual missions.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
My personal canon for this thread is that the CSM is going to be the 'Mysterious Council Member'.

Also thanks for liking the character concept!

Now I must write up what exactly 'Fox' has been doing in the thirty years between the games.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The red shoes diaries?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Character concept-a Blood Raven who took the old battlecry of his chapter ("Knowledge is power. Guard it well") to the most ridiculous extent and now collects knowledge and information compulsively, even totally useless trivia. Of course he refuses to share this knowledge, even though most of the information he acquired is of no use to his teammates or Xcom/the Imperium at large.Regardless he assumes that his allies seek what he knows,when most of them probably don't actually care.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Character Concept- When the Golden Age of Man ended with the birth of the Chaos God Slannesh (an event which whipped the warp into a galaxy-spanning storm that stopped all travel between human held worlds for thousands of years, which precipitated the Emperor's Crusade to retake His Empire), billions of Human held worlds fell to infighting and barbarism. Some worlds managed to safeguard their technological secrets and history, and thus when the Storm subsided they returned to the Emperor's Light with celebration and gratitude. Most worlds, however, were unable to keep their advanced technology working, and over the centuries lost everything, including their own histories.

Such was the case with the planet Loam. The planet's original designation has been lost to time: it was a simple fledgling colony prior to the Storm, and it's people barely managed to scrape up to a post nuclear civilization prior to being rediscovered by the Imperium less than a generation ago. The Rogue Trader crew who discovered the planet were amused find what happens to be a recurring phenomenae among such Lost Worlds: they all beleive that they are Holy Terra: that is, the world upon which Humanity first crawled from the muck.

Such was the early education of newly minted Imperial Guardsman Hiram Gebelman. He remembers the day the garrishly decorated spacecraft descended from the sky. He watched broadcasts from the safety of his classroom as the Visitors were revealed to be far, far less alien than his world had ever expected from a first contact. When the dust had settled, what few hold outs that had desired independence anihilated, Hiram had been among the first to volunteer for the founding Imperial Guard levies from his world.

Now, descending towards a new world to bring into the Emperor's embrace, he pats his lasgun and chuckles to himself; Terra, Loam, Earth. What is it with Humanity, that drives them to name their worlds after dirt?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It okay to throw up bios for support staff (engineers/scientists/etc)?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Be honest. How many Alpha Legion infiltrators are people submitting?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Be honest. How many Alpha Legion infiltrators are people submitting?

Who?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Well RIP

Inquisitor Grendel
Nov 18, 2019

hello i would just like to offer an apology and an explanation

I would like to anyone who got invested into this LP for my long absence and the continued delay to the next post. I am very grateful for all the positive feedback, and as such I feel I owe an explanation.

I am someone who is in general of poor health and constitution and get frequently sick. I've recently been struck by a terrible malaise that is making it very difficult to write to my usual standard. First is a terribly awful daily migraine. It is a constant distraction, and has put me in a constant daily daze. My normal focus is disrupted, to the point that it's nigh impossible for me to just play any non-braindead video game, let alone write. I can't even focus on reading a book. Even writing this apology/explanation is very difficult. The other problem is that my sleep has become entirely non restful. Despite falling asleep at decent times, the entire night is full of fitful wakefulness and brief moments of slumber. Because of this, I wake up feeling just as tired as when I went to sleep.

Now, I've not given up. I am still trying to chip away at the next post in the brief moments where I feel up to writing. But it is a terribly slow process. I don't know when I will be able to get the next post up, but I'll try. I've never gotten such kind words said about my writing before, and I'm extremely grateful for it. But as such, I feel it's only right that I be transparent about my current state, so that expectations can be adjusted accordingly.

Thank you for reading so far, and I hope there will be more for you all to read eventually.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Hey, tkae your time! Health comes first. Thanks for the update, feel better, and take your time to zone out on Something Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I totally understand, man