Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
----> Bail fund is kandace.e@gmail.com on PayPal <-----

Good afternoon from the communist paradise of California, where uhhh you better be a millionaire or you're denied basic human rights!

Yesterday activists set up a small tent city in front of City Hall in Oakland to protest the bay area's incredibly bad housing crisis:
https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2019/11/24/18828389.php

Basically San Francisco is now too expensive for even the brogrammers to afford, and the rot is rapidly spreading through Oakland - folks who grew up there are being forced out of their housing, in order to make way for high density luxury condos that can be rented for thousands of dollars a month. With nowhere else to go, thousands are sleeping rough on the streets.

"drat, that sounds terrible!" You might think. But don't worry, it gets worse!

Hundreds of articles are already written about this stuff but basically the worst people in the world have decided the solution to thousands of people being unhoused is stuff like "grab all the things they still own, throw it in a wood chipper, and tell them to piss off to somewhere else". Cities around the bay are actively trying to play musical chairs, passing things like RV bans to stop people sleeping in their cars, just waiting for the music to stop and hoping some other city has to deal with the thousands of people displaced from their homes by the tech boom. Which brings us back to the protest!

I wish I had a good vetted charity to plug here, but in lieu of that here's this:

Last night the cops waited until cover of darkness to come through and arrest folks who had either set up tents (defiling the beautiful view of city hall) or folks who were filming the arrests (who were charged with things like "obstruction" and "et cetera" (seriously)).

https://twitter.com/VillageOakland/status/1199037869987266560

We all know how bullshit cash bail is, but if you hate cops and feel like supporting folks getting out in time to celebrate colonialism and turkey, the fund is here (full disclosure: one of those arrested was an immediate family member of mine. I've paid for most of their bail already):

https://twitter.com/VillageOakland/status/1198999765578465280

Consider it a wonderful opportunity to spurn exciting thanksgiving dinner conversations once all the freed folks show up at the tables of their respective families. Or don't, I'm not your boss.

mad.radhu has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Can you link the donation thing more prominently?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nichael posted:

Can you link the donation thing more prominently?

I can do very few things but luckily this was one of them

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

I can do very few things but luckily this was one of them

woww!! president mad.radhu!!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

mad.radhu posted:

----> Bail fund is kandace.e@gmail.com on PayPal <-----

Good afternoon from the communist paradise of California, where uhhh you better be a millionaire or you're denied basic human rights!

Moved out here a few years back, lifelong east coaster. First thing that struck me, is how little common space or resources there are. Open spaces, including public parks, are mostly golf courses, fenced in and reserved for the couple dozen people a day with a set tee time. The rest is scrub waste canyonland (for 'hiking') that it's simply unfeasible to build anything profitable in. No public tracks, no water fountains or restrooms in the parks that do exist. All the neighborhoods are cul de sacs to keep people from even driving through. Most of those neighborhoods are behind gates and walls and guarded. Stores have no public face, no windows, no doors, a concrete wall faces the street. Walking down the road and want to dip into the ace hardware or quiznos or whatever? Walk around the building and find the door that exits onto the parking lot.

And of course the excuse for almost all of it, one way or another, is the homeless. These decisions about how to live life and structure their society they made a half century ago, they justify with this homeless problem that has only hit crisis levels since, what? Late 90s?

Anyway, this joint is so conservative its loving feudal; so many of the laws, from prop 13, to prop 54, to Costa Hawkins, to article 34, bestow special, inheritable rights on a certain landed class are inherited from the GOP and worshipped by a state that never stops sniffing its farts about how liberal it is. Burns my rear end.

I'm from a pretty gross state, politically, but we never passed a law, by popular acclaim, to strip gays of their personhood. And if we had, we wouldn't go about blaming it on Utah Mormons (who, best of my knowledge, don't vote in California State elections) or black folks (who make up 5% of California's population).

All that's to say, thanks for posting this OP. I'm lucky enough to be able to cover rent with some left over, be glad to share some out to people doing a drat thing about it instead of bitching on the forums

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

PipHelix posted:

All that's to say, thanks for posting this OP. I'm lucky enough to be able to cover rent with some left over, be glad to share some out to people doing a drat thing about it instead of bitching on the forums

There's no shortage of causes out here, that's for sure. With Boudin getting elected in SF and a bunch of other good stuff local groups are putting together I'd say it's a good bet there will be fights worth fighting for the next election.

!!! Update !!!

https://twitter.com/spectralsex/status/1199175786319597568

Good job goons

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Paypal had a little fundraiser pane you could create and drop into socmedia so you get a preview thumb

an e-mail address to donate to is fine, but it feels like you're going to have more success with something people can click onto and see a longer story + donation stream

I RT'ed, which is all i can do rn, but i'll check back and kick a few bucks on payday

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

smarxist posted:

I wish Paypal had a little fundraiser pane you could create and drop into socmedia so you get a preview thumb

an e-mail address to donate to is fine, but it feels like you're going to have more success with something people can click onto and see a longer story + donation stream

I RT'ed, which is all i can do rn, but i'll check back and kick a few bucks on payday

I think most of them (all?) are out on bail now, but maybe we should make like a larger threat for stuff like this? dunno, it always seems overwhelming when you look at all the different funds and causes that all need cash.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mad.radhu posted:

I think most of them (all?) are out on bail now, but maybe we should make like a larger threat for stuff like this? dunno, it always seems overwhelming when you look at all the different funds and causes that all need cash.

yeaaaaaaah, these are tricky. they stay decentralized for obvious reasons, especially since money people need to get doxx on the organizers

if we had a proper communist party with committees some of that BOLSHEVIK DISCIPLINE we could probably do more concentrated efficient relief, but finding them as they happen on soc media seems to be the way of it for now

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
As someone agitating on this issue in my local area I support this. And on the topic of how to post I'm okay with what we have rn with the goon food fund along with individual threads for stuff like this that affects goons or those they know. Goons Feeding and Bailing Out Goons. But if people want a general "good stuff to throw money at" thread that's cool too

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bump

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bump

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
bump

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bump o

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: "bumpo"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mods plz change title to "L@@K" for proper 1999 ebay versimilitude

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Bump

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
if you live in california please vote for SB 10 this november to abolish cash bail

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

paul_soccer12 posted:

Edit: "bumpo"

pretty sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

funny way to spell posted:

if you live in california please vote for SB 10 this november to abolish cash bail

You have it reversed. SB 10 passed in 2018. The referendum on the ballot is to reverse SB 10 and return to cash bail.