Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what was the one with the buff maid that was a predator, that a couple of posters watched 'ironically'

that could be worst one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

my aotd is... (chuckles evilly for five straight minutes) "slayers" (runs away laughing)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

what was the one with the buff maid that was a predator, that a couple of posters watched 'ironically'

that could be worst one

According to Wikipedia, "Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru!".

And yes. That's pretty bad. But it leads to the question of what metrics we're using. Like, going to extremes for the sake of easier understanding, a snuff film is, morally, incredibly bad. It's Actual Murder, one of the worst crimes of all. (Also illegal). But let's say it's also absurdly well produced. Funny, tragic, moving, amazing cinematography, whole bit. As a work of cinema, it's very good.

You could reasonably argue for it both as the worst film in a given year, and as the best (even if you'd never say that anyone should watch it).

It's like the big Sutter Kane controversy in the mid 90s, if anyone else remembers that, now that I think about it.

Personally, though, I'm more interested in "most disappointing" lists than "worst". Worst tends to be forgettable crap that nobody had any real expectations for. Sometimes you get amusing train wreck bits, but mostly it's just bad in the same ways. Poor animation, bad writing, flat characters (I'll skip the obvious joke here), that kind of thing. Disappointing tends to be more interesting. Of course, it's also more personal, because it means admitting you almost liked something that turned out crap, but it's also an examination of why things work and why they don't beyond "Wow, this is bad.".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well.... i'll give you one thing, that's certainly going to the extremes for easier understanding

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at the end of this decade i want everyone to take a moment to give this anime a moment of silence

short anime sequel that never even got one episode out. what happened to you, musashino. we will never know

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Agronox posted:

Does anyone have the results of the ADTRW polls from previous years? They used to be on the wiki but that's gone. Might help jog people's memories as far as what aired when.

yo fyi most of the adtrwiki through 2017 is somehow backed up here - http://adtrw.nulani.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

:slick:saving this space for a longer list but just wanna say that Ping Pong the Animation is my 一番 and Kill la Kill my 二番. most certainly.:slick:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

chiasaur11 posted:

Personally, though, I'm more interested in "most disappointing" lists than "worst". Worst tends to be forgettable crap that nobody had any real expectations for. Sometimes you get amusing train wreck bits, but mostly it's just bad in the same ways. Poor animation, bad writing, flat characters (I'll skip the obvious joke here), that kind of thing. Disappointing tends to be more interesting. Of course, it's also more personal, because it means admitting you almost liked something that turned out crap, but it's also an examination of why things work and why they don't beyond "Wow, this is bad.".

I would have to say most disappointing would go to One Punch Man (s2) or the Berserk atrocity.

If we’re going for something that started great and just poo poo the bed, I would personally go for Kill la Kill. But I don’t have easy access to my watched list right now, and I tend to erase disappointing stuff from my brain pretty quickly.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

2010: Tatami Galaxy

2011: Steins;Gate

2012: Fate/Zero

2013: Devil is a Part Timery

2014: Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

2015: One Punch Man

2016: Re Zero

2017: Konosuba)

2018: Attack on Titan S3

2019: Mob Psycho 100 S2

Anime of the Decade: Stein's Gate

Madoka comes extremely close to getting in but I'm insanely biased towards Steins' Gate. Mob Psycho S2 is also really close to pushing Stein's Gate out of the top but I only watched it last week so I'm pretty biased still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most disappointing would definitely be franxx. it had soem decent ideas at the start, a few actually good eps in the middle, then fell off a loving cliff. klk had issues too but at least its actual ending was kind of okay.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

most disappointing for me would probably be re:creators. cool premise (what if fictional characters had a battle royale in the real world?) devolves into technobabble and half-explored themes

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This seems like a good time to announce that Re:Creators is my anime drama of the decade. Long may it reign. And by "long" I mean "for another 28 days".

Favourite comedy of the decade is Nozaki-kun. I like anime about anime, apparently.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

anime of the decade

I started watching anime in 2013 so I'm not doing the year-by-year thing

1. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

looking forward to the magireco adaptation

2. Re:Zero

Brilliant deconstruction (no really, keep reading, I've read Derrida I swear) of the isekai genre, and more specifically the typical isekai protagonist. Reborn in another world with a special power, Subaru is an shut-in otaku who wants to protect his friends... but unlike the generic isekai protagonist he so resembles, his lack of respect for himself and others creates genuine social problems his cheat ability can't fix for him. In this day and age, I think "you must genuinely respect and engage with both yourself and others" is an important message, and Re:Zero does a good job of delivering it. It's also just a really good action show.

3. GRANBELM

Great characters, great dialogue, great animation (outside of some really janky fight scenes early on). The first episode is solidly mediocre, the battle choreography isn't particularly impressive, and the themes grow a bit muddled toward the end, but GRANBELM remains sincere and novel in a way few shows manage.

4. Gatchaman Crowds

the cg kinda sucks but it's willing to directly address social issues, so that's cool. s3 never

5. Psycho-Pass S1

I don't remember this show well enough to say anything interesting about it but I really enjoyed it when I watched it in 2013

6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (First Season)

People really hate JoJo's first part, which is weird because it totally owns. In the span of a few episodes, Johathan goes from depressed teen to street fighter to arsonist to fist wizard. Every fight is dramatic, engaging, and (unlike in future parts) well-paced; the setpieces (the burning Joestar mansion, Dio's castle) are memorable, and the love-hate relationship between Johnathan and Dio is emotional in a way unlike any other hero/villain relationship in the series (and few outside it).

oh and battle tendency is okay too i guess

Honorable mentions: Akanesasu Shoujo, Sword Art Online: Mother's Rosario
Stuff that's supposed to be really good but I haven't watched it yet lmao: a place further than the universe

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

2010 - Star Driver
This show has a lot of rough patches but it's fun as hell and pretty and also one of the three anime I watched in 2010.

2011 -Nichijou is my highest rated but I think about Saint Seiya; The Lost Canvas more often than Nichijou so it's my favorite.

2012 - Hyouge Mono - Best samurai/historical anime hands down. The main character's conflict of being torn between his duty to society and his love of art really spoke to me. Excellent attention to costume detail and set design.

2013 - Gatchaman Crowds
Excellent character design and music and one of the few shows to understand social media. Haven't seen the sequel yet tho

2014 - Space Dandy
This is really petty but I remember a guy I really didn't like talking about how Zankyou no Terror was going to be the best Watanabe show of 2014. Eat poo poo dude!

2015 - Osomatsu-san
The second season being bad destroyed enthusiasm for this show but it really was quite good. Slow start but once it got rolling it was consistently funny and inventive. Special shoutout to Wakako-zake for best short this year

2016 - Mob Psycho
You know why this is here

2017 - Land of the Lustrous wins this one, but Sengoku Choujuu Giga wins best short, funny sengoku anime that allowed Nobunaga to gently caress Mori for once which means it nearly edges out Houseki. Sengoku Choujuu Giga

2018 - SSSS.Gridman is the better show but Gurazeni was the show I most looked forward to every week

2019 - Hulaing Babies
A masterpiece about love and friends and hula, someone needs to sub the directors other short anime immediately.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Most Disappointing probably is Franx but for me it's easily Erased which had an amazing first half and set up but I 100% hated the final arc and ending

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'll never get what ppl think the alleged good eps of Frannx were, that show was an incoherent, waffling pos from beginning to end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

I'll never get what ppl think the alleged good eps of Frannx were, that show was an incoherent, waffling pos from beginning to end.
The episode where the rival girl actually did something lovely and her and 02 had conflict

So ofc thats the episode everyone got insanely mad about and they immediately backpedaled on

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Franxx was good when it concentrated on the character drama outside of Hiro and 02. Less so when it focused on those two and tried to tell a plot (which was the majority of the show.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I forget most of what came out this decade, but Devilman Crybaby was definitely my favorite and Danganronpa 3 was definitely the most disappointing.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

2010 - So Ra No Wo To
2011 - Natsume Yuujinchou
2012 - Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
2013 - Kyousougiga
2014 - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun
2015 - Ore Monogatari!!
2016 - Flying Witch
2017 - Girl's Last Tour
2018 - A Place Beyond The Universe
2019 - poo poo, I don't know. Was Kaguya good?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Cuntellectual posted:

I forget most of what came out this decade, but Devilman Crybaby was definitely my favorite and Danganronpa 3 was definitely the most disappointing.

Danganronpa 3 should have been 2 cours.

My favs this decade were Jojo, Symphogear, Made in Abyss, Kakegurui, Kill la Kill, Zombieland Saga, My Hero Academia, and Madoka.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Danganronpa 3 should have been 2 cours.

It was 2 cours. You just got both cours in the same sesson :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Julias posted:

It was 2 cours. You just got both cours in the same sesson :v:

Right, I forgot it did that weird gimmick thing. Goes to show how much I cared about the Future arc and the incredibly stupid way it ended.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Explosions posted:

2019 - poo poo, I don't know. Was Kaguya good?
Kaguya was so good that, after it finished airing, I stopped beating around the bush right away and read the manga in the space of two days instead of doing proper work. It was an incredibly swell adaptation.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Konosuba is anime of the decade.

Ive only been here since the end of 2016 (I think? Maybe beginning of 2017) so I cant make giant fancy lists. Symphogear, Re;Zero, and Mob Psycho 100 would be the only others I can think of off the top of my head that were so good Ive watched them more than once.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Smile Precure is both the best Precure of the decade and the best anime of the decade :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pikestaff posted:

Smile Precure is both the best Precure of the decade and the best anime of the decade :colbert:

:hmmyes:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

I think you mean Glitter Force

And while Smile is good my favorite Precure of the decade is Kira Kira for Akira/Yukari and also Bibury

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Right, I forgot it did that weird gimmick thing. Goes to show how much I cared about the Future arc and the incredibly stupid way it ended.

Both really went to poo poo tbh.

Bringing the whole "brainwashing anime" plot device in was stupid as hell.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Both really went to poo poo tbh.

Bringing the whole "brainwashing anime" plot device in was stupid as hell.

Hear hear. Admittedly I was intrigued by the concept when they first introduced it but I threw up my hands when it became obvious that it was gonna become an easy out for brainwashing the Ultimate Despair students. I was looking forward to seeing how Junko was gonna break each and everyone one of them and it just...didn't happen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing to come out of Danganronpa truly was that dumb manga with the Hachiman lookalike

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on is anime of the decade

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

K-on is anime of the decade

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
2010: Katanagatari
2011: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
2012: Kokoro Connect
2013: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
2014: Nozaki-kun
2015: OregaIru2
2016: Shouwa Gensoku Rakugo Shinju
2017: Made in Abyss
2018: Hinamatsuri
2019: Kaguya-sama

AoTD: Shouwa Gensoku Rakugo Shinju Self-contained and probably about as emotionally satisfying as any piece of media I've ever watched or read, each season won its own year in the yearly "best of" threads, though I decided to spread the honors out for the sake of the yearly list here. No doubt whatsoever about it being my AoTD.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 22, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

2010: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: An anime that actually manages to be really funny, and was willing to experiment with things too.
Honorable Mention: Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood
2011:Tiger & Bunny: A really fun superhero show. Its too bad that they waited way too long to make a sequel.
2012:Jojo's Bizzare Adventure:The first arc of Jojo is the weakest, but I still enjoyed the show a lot.
Honorable Mention: Beezlebub, and Tsuritama were both fun shows.
2013:Log Horizon: One of the earliest isekais during this current trend. This one managed to be good because it realized a person just becoming more powerful to solve all their problems doesn't lead to an interesting narrative. It also helps that a whole bunch of people got transported over, and not just one person.
2014:Space Dandy: Not quite the second coming of Cowboy Bebop, but the show is still really good and funny.
2015:One-Punch Man: High quality writing and animation make it a shoe-in for best anime of 2015.
Honorable Mention: Overlord is a really fun show, despite its animation not being the best.
2016:Mob Psycho 100: Mob is a really good boy
Honorable Mention: I avoided Saiki K. until recently because it was one of those anime short series, but it was actually pretty good.
2017:Kemono Friends: A fun chill show.
Honorable Mention: Little Witch Academia probably would have won, but I think the last few episodes were a bit weak.
2018:Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues: Really funny comedy that makes you completely forget the characters were the villains of Kaiji. I also like how it explores the logistics side of an evil organization.
2019:Beastars: has really strong character writing, and it explores the ramifications of a society of anthropomorphic animals without feeling like its just trying to be edgy.
Honorable Mention: Dr. Stone, and the Promised Neverland were both good shounen series. Kemurikusa was also really good, and I consider it the true sequel series to Kemono Friends.

Making this list made me realize how much I like comedy anime.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 22, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Don't think I could do a long list right now, but anime of the decade for me is basically a 3-way contest between Mob Psycho 100, A Place Further than the Universe, Ping Pong.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I really only got into anime in the last few years and haven't actually gotten around to watching very many shows from the first half of the decade, but fwiw here's my list

2010: K-on
2011: Madoka (HM: Steins;Gate)
2012: Hyouka
2013: Non Non Biyori
2014: - (There's a few shows from this year that I like, but I wouldn't rate any of them high enough to make a best of the decade list)
2015: Hibike! Euphonium (HM: Shirobako)
2016: Hibike! Euphonium S2 (HM: Love Live Sunshine S2)
2017: Girls Last Tour
2018: A Place Further Than the Universe (HM: Yurucamp)
2019: Kaguya-sama

Anime of the decade:
1. Hyouka
2. A Place Further than the Universe
3. K-on

Also, for best movie I'd go with Haruhi followed up by Liz and the Bluebird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Started off mainly following manga at the beginning of the decade, but I think 2014 was the big change for me with adaptations of Ping Pong and Nozaki-kun, as well as me catching up with the Yahari LN in anticipation for S2 the next year, so most of the stuff I'll mention is from the back-half of the 2010s. I also don't really think about series as a whole, I'd rather hone in on the big moments and/or arcs that made an impression on me, so in that spirit...

Scenes and storylines I had first experienced in the source material, were highly anticipating in the anime, and then they absolutely delivered (chronological):
  • Peco vs Dragon - Ping Pong Ep 10 (Spring 2014)
  • Hachiman's request - Oregairu S2 Ep 8 (Spring 2015)
  • Kakeru's downward spiral - Orange Ep 12 (Summer 2016): An odd one on this list for sure, but it's also the compelling, bleak full picture view of the catalyst for the series, though thankfully not its ultimate resolution.
  • The bullying arc - March Comes in Like a Lion S2 (Fall 2017)
  • Betrayal and failure to take the baton - Devilman Crybaby Eps 9 & 10 (Winter 2018): can't really leave off the adaptation of the material that made go nagai's devilman my 2nd fav manga ever
  • I Can't Hear the Fireworks (Winter 2019): the only reason this is here is because the anime didn't bother to adapt 'miyuki shirogane wants to sing' so there. maybe in s2
  • "Tenkyū" performance - Kono Oto Tomare! S2 Ep 12 (Fall 2019)

Scenes and storylines I either had NOT first experienced in the source material or were anime-original but still knocked me on my rear end (chronological):
  • Breaking through the tatami maze and ending - The Tatami Galaxy Eps 10 & 11 (Spring 2010): The moment he yells out a certain someone's name in elation is the moment the entire series snaps into place.
  • Aoba Johsai vs Karasuno: End of Second Set, The Third Set, and the meal after - Haikyū!! Eps 22 to 24 (Summer 2014)
  • "Crescent Moon Dance" - Sound! Euphonium S2 Ep 5 (Fall 2016)
  • Injury, death, and the spirit world - Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū S2 Eps 9 to 11 (Winter 2017)
  • Acceptance - A Place Further than the Universe Ep 12 (Winter 2018): maybe the best written scene that incorporates modern technology of any work of art put out by anybody this decade
  • Hakone Ekiden - Run with the Wind (Winter 2019): Prince finally living up to the ideals of his manga heroes, Shindo's sacrifice, 'The answer is you' and all the other decadent character moments sandwiched in-between. What a reward to receive as viewers, we were absolutely spoiled.

Big manga series I'd been following that I'm thankful got a rich, virtually note-perfect adaptation: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Summer 2014)
Smaller manga series I'd been following that I'm thankful got rich, virtually note-perfect adaptations: Tanaka-kun Is Always Listless (Spring 2016), Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Winter 2018)
Small manga series I'd NOT been following that was a delightful surprise: Poco's Udon World (Fall 2016)
Was also thankful for adaptations of: Flying Witch (Spring 2016) and Yuru Camp△ (Winter 2018)

Takagi-san Award for Biggest Tease in a Final Shot: Liz and the Blue Bird (Naoko Yamada, 2018, Kyoto Animation)

Still not quite done with this decade. Right now, I've made it to the start of Haikyū!! S2 as the premiere date for S4 slowly creeps up, and I'm still waiting to catch Children of the Sea in a theater as by all accounts the climax is eye-poppingly amazing and everything I could've hoped for. Me and anime, ride or die in the 2020s.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2019