Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

Do you have any symptoms or are you participating in the big test? Hopefully you're all good.

Bad sore throat yesterday. Coughing today. They said if you get more symptoms after the first day to come in and get tested, partially because they can test everyone now.

Been in bed most of the time, I’m not feeling too bad apart from the throat.

It’s probably not the Rona but you can’t pretend it isn’t. If it is and we don’t it will explode again. Just look at Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Comstar posted:

Bad sore throat yesterday. Coughing today. They said if you get more symptoms after the first day to come in and get tested, partially because they can test everyone now.

Been in bed most of the time, I’m not feeling too bad apart from the throat.

It’s probably not the Rona but you can’t pretend it isn’t. If it is and we don’t it will explode again. Just look at Singapore.

Yeah good move getting tested. Hopefully it's a negative on covid and just a lovely flu.

On scribes thing, he's referring to a study that's less than a week old saying throw open the gates. It's absolutely stupid to immediately say it's all fine prior to peer review and prior to thinking through a management plan for drop offs, parental contact, possibility of transmission (some children have got covid and some have become sick) and any other ancillary factors. He's advocating a really dangerous read on a real scientific finding for personal reasons. It's galling.

E: and the teachers union aren't going to agree to poo poo until this work is done properly. NSW seems to have a decent staggered return and I imagine we will do something similar based on the response of teachers there which seems positive.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 29, 2020

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

Yeah good move getting tested. Hopefully, it's a negative on covid and just a lovely flu.

On scribes thing, he's referring to a study that's less than a week old saying throw open the gates. It's absolutely stupid to immediately say it's all fine prior to peer review and prior to thinking through a management plan for drop offs, parental contact, possibility of transmission (some children have got covid and some have become sick) and any other ancillary factors. He's advocating a really dangerous read on a real scientific finding for personal reasons. It's galling.

So your opinion is that the medical experts in Australia advocating for schools to open are wrong?

quote:

University of Sydney infectious diseases expert and professor of paediatrics Robert Booy said it appeared Victoria was "following a counsel of perfection" and choosing not to act on evidence suggesting it was safe to reopen schools.

"The situation in Victoria is one where they are following a counsel of perfection that 'children must spread disease' because that is what they have done in the past with other viruses," Professor Booy said.

"But in this virus, it's much less of an issue. They have to get past a mindset where 'it's always been this way, it must be this way again'. You have to examine evidence and the evidence overwhelmingly shows that schools only carry a small risk to children or teachers."

Professor Booy said while coronavirus was "unpredictable in terms of other viruses we have seen" mounting evidence from across the world pointed to there being minimal risk in reopening schools.

"We have considerable experience now, in several countries, of children going to school and not passing the virus on very much at all," he said.

Australian National University Associate Professor Sanjaya Senanayake also supported reopening schools.

"Right now all the evidence says it is safe to reopen schools," he said. "This outbreak is evolving all the time, but the one consistent fact so far is that children do not seem to get easily infected by this virus."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/evidence-says-it-is-safe-to-reopen-schools-20200427-p54noi.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

So your opinion is that the medical experts in Australia advocating for schools to open are wrong?

No. Please read more carefully.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

No. Please read more carefully.

It seems that's what you're saying.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

CelestialScribe posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/evidence-says-it-is-safe-to-reopen-schools-20200427-p54noi.html

Might want to read the whole article there chief, there's a whole bunch of other professors saying "we don't know" and a study that is yet to be peer reviewed. Also "But experts agreed strict hygiene standards and social distancing would be crucial to preventing outbreaks if schools were to reopen.". Just loving lol if you think this is going to happen in our currently overworked and under supported public school system.

E: I have a kid at home and she's driving me loving bonkers - I'm working from home full time and my wife is doing her thesis. I want her to be back in school so she can see her friends and continue learning in an environment she's better suited to learning in. But like JBP's said below, this poo poo doesn't happen in a vacuum - other countries that have opened schools have thrown considerable resources at things like mandatory temperature checks on entry and more staff to ensure social distancing. There's NO sign of that even being considered with Australian schools. If we put that in, sure, lets re-open schools. If they're not going to? Not worth the risk without solid peer reviewed data on hand that says that these measures don't actually matter.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 29, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pleasant Friend posted:

It looks like South Australia and Northern Territory have already eliminated it, Western Australia had only one case.

I'm really trying to avoid getting my hopes up too much here in SA, because while the numbers certainly look like that could be the case it only takes one undetected case out there for everything to go bad. Probably the reason they still aren't officially talking about goals of elimination yet, because if they started getting people to hope that might happen and it doesn't it would be a pretty big blow.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

It seems that's what you're saying.

You quoted what I said. Read more carefully. Doctors are not education administrators. Doctors are not policymakers. Children do not teleport to school. Doctors are saying they have evidence to support opening schools, that does not mean policymakers should throw open the gates with no thought or caution. You also need communications campaigning because parents aren't going to just start sending kids to school.

poo poo doesn't occur in a vacuum around your circumstances.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

You quoted what I said. Read more carefully. Doctors are not education administrators. Doctors are not policymakers. Children do not teleport to school. Doctors are saying they have evidence to support opening schools, that does not mean policymakers should throw open the gates with no thought or caution. You also need communications campaigning because parents aren't going to just start sending kids to school.

poo poo doesn't occur in a vacuum around your circumstances.

Okay.

At what point do you think schools should open?

Because that's the other thing - the Government isn't being clear with its guidelines. It isn't saying, "we want to see X, Y and Z" before schools open again. That's a problem.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

NSW seems to have a decent staggered return and I imagine we will do something similar based on the response of teachers there which seems positive.

This is not the case at all amongst the NSW teachers I've spoken to. My understanding (unless it's changed) is that it's being left up to the schools with no guidance about how/when to manage students returning, and teachers are still being expected to teach the students online as well as in class simultaneously, because only a quarter of students per class will attend daily. It's an absolute shitshow that's being motivated by Alan Jones and "gotta open fast".

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Whitlam posted:

This is not the case at all amongst the NSW teachers I've spoken to. My understanding (unless it's changed) is that it's being left up to the schools with no guidance about how/when to manage students returning, and teachers are still being expected to teach the students online as well as in class simultaneously, because only a quarter of students per class will attend daily. It's an absolute shitshow that's being motivated by Alan Jones and "gotta open fast".

Yeah this is the thing that shits me the most about it, teachers are being expected to pull a ridiculous workload whilst putting themselves at risk. Where's the extra teaching aides to help? I know that there's things you can't do without proper training and education, but even getting some people in there with Working With Children checks to help with physically moving things around to accommodate new arrangements, taking on playground duties, etc. Or, I dunno, started training people in specific duties weeks ago to help out with this when schools were first closed down and we knew we'd have to ramp back up in this manner?

There doesn't appear to be any extra support from anyone and I fully support the unions going "gently caress you" until there is. Teachers are underpaid and underappreciated in the best of times, and these are not the best of times.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I'm talking more generally that the teachers union have approached it positively. I'm not under any misunderstanding that there will be teachers utterly opposed. The onus on teachers to just work all of this stuff out themselves has been one of the things that's pissed me off since day one.

As far as opening schools in Vic. Get the peer reviewed info. Get the month on month data mid May. Work on a return plan that is manageable and safe prior to that date. Then on that date, should the ducks align, open schools in staggered stages.

Don't promise people that if XYZ happens that you'll do it for sure. This isn't a beep boop situation. Things are coming in sideways and unpredictably. We are in a global crisis that's unrivalled in my life and a bullish approach to any easing of restrictions or other public health policy could result in catastrophic outcomes.

E:

Hell yeah buddy.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Mattjpwns posted:

Yeah this is the thing that shits me the most about it, teachers are being expected to pull a ridiculous workload whilst putting themselves at risk.

Grade 1/2 teacher coming in to say that the workload is actually higher at the moment than it is in the classroom, at least at my school. Between giving feedback on every activity (and there's 5-7 per day), planning meetings and constant phone calls to parents, it's a lot more than normal.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

GlenMR posted:

Grade 1/2 teacher coming in to say that the workload is actually higher at the moment than it is in the classroom, at least at my school. Between giving feedback on every activity (and there's 5-7 per day), planning meetings and constant phone calls to parents, it's a lot more than normal.

Yeah that's been the experience of the three teachers I know too, two of whom are in early primary. I'm sorry you're not getting the support and assistance you need, there are a lot of parents I know (myself included!) that are furious about your situation and it's just not good enough.

Is there anything that parents can do that helps you out a little?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My wife's a high school teacher, and it mirrors GlenMR's situation. She's teaching, while also on the phone to parents non stop, and is also trying to be an interim tech support worker to everyone as their video conferencing fails in new and interesting ways. She's doing 10+ hrs every day, then having staff cohort meetings on weekends to prepare for the next week.

But she's also very hesitant to just be back in the classroom, because there's absolutely no way to enact social distancing for a classroom of 30 kids.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I'm talking more generally that the teachers union have approached it positively. I'm not under any misunderstanding that there will be teachers utterly opposed. The onus on teachers to just work all of this stuff out themselves has been one of the things that's pissed me off since day one.

As far as opening schools in Vic. Get the peer reviewed info. Get the month on month data mid May. Work on a return plan that is manageable and safe prior to that date. Then on that date, should the ducks align, open schools in staggered stages.

Don't promise people that if XYZ happens that you'll do it for sure. This isn't a beep boop situation. Things are coming in sideways and unpredictably. We are in a global crisis that's unrivalled in my life and a bullish approach to any easing of restrictions or other public health policy could result in catastrophic outcomes.

E:

Hell yeah buddy.

Do you think schools returning at the same time we have community cases is a good idea?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

Do you think schools returning at the same time we have community cases is a good idea?

Depends on management and tracing. I'm not a doctor or a policymaker. All I can go on is support for schools is fine, but implementation will take some time. We have very few community infections right now and if that keeps up I think schools should start returning in two weeks with that surety and planning around it. The only issue is if we increase social gatherings or ease restrictions on business that these things can play together and new clusters may emerge, which makes everything pointless and returns us to today or last month.

We should only proceed with the greatest levels of surety.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If we send kids back and everyone is fine in the main, but a cluster kills a child via complications like Kawasaki, was it worth it? That child is dead. No catch up, no retry, no renewed effort.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

If we send kids back and everyone is fine in the main, but a cluster kills a child via complications like Kawasaki, was it worth it? That child is dead. No catch up, no retry, no renewed effort.

In that case we shouldn’t open schools until we have a vaccine.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Or until we are at 0 cases of community transmission for 2 weeks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

We are accidentally approaching virtual eradication. If in two weeks we still have single digits (and I'm talking 1 or 2 right now) positive testing even with the enormous testing drive that's being run they should go back in stages to accommodate ongoing restrictions. That is a strong level of surety.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

We are accidentally approaching virtual eradication. If in two weeks we still have single digits (and I'm talking 1 or 2 right now) positive testing even with the enormous testing drive that's being run. They should go back. That is a strong level of surety.

And what happens if it somehow comes back?

My point is we will never be at 100% certainty no matter what.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

And what happens if it somehow comes back?

My point is we will never be at 100% certainty no matter what.

Then we strive for as close to, rather than firing the gun four days after a paper is published.

Just wait on the testing drive results. We might find there are loads of silent cases and avert a disaster. We might find there are few and have surety around easing restrictions.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
That's the crux of all of this to me. We can't ask for 100% certainty, but we can wait on the results of widespread community testing over two weeks. (Which is the bit I like about what Andrews is doing by drastically broadening the testing criteria)

If the results from that are good (I'd leave it for others to define good, but ultimately you'd want to aim for an NZ situation of "We know explicitly where all the cases are with a high degree of certainty so we can contain it and monitor effectively"), then lets start the windback.

Two more weeks in the overall picture to ensure a better risk assessment is worth it, I feel. YMMV.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

Then we strive for as close to, rather than firing the gun four days after a paper is published.

Just wait on the testing drive results. We might find there are loads of silent cases and avert a disaster. We might find there are few and have surety around easing restrictions.

My child and many other children are actively being harmed every single day they are not at school.

Disagree with me on opening schools, fine. Just something worth thinking about. “Just wait on the results” means something significantly different for me than it does for you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

My child and many other children are actively being harmed every single day they are not at school.

Disagree with me on opening schools, fine. Just something worth thinking about. “Just wait on the results” means something significantly different for me than it does for you.

I'm comfortable with that.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm comfortable with that.

I’ll just tell my son to pull his disability up by his bootstraps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

I’ll just tell my son to pull his disability up by his bootstraps.

Knock yourself out.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

Knock yourself out.

Congrats, this is post number 22,222.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

BurgerQuest posted:

Congrats, this is post number 22,222.

Auspol Summer - Knock yourself out.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mattjpwns posted:

Auspol Summer - Knock yourself out.

Wake me up when this poo poo thread ends

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoldStandardConure posted:

Wake me up when this poo poo thread ends
hmmm yes

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Mattjpwns posted:

Yeah that's been the experience of the three teachers I know too, two of whom are in early primary. I'm sorry you're not getting the support and assistance you need, there are a lot of parents I know (myself included!) that are furious about your situation and it's just not good enough.

Is there anything that parents can do that helps you out a little?

I've been pretty lucky with my kids, their parents have been awesome and supportive throughout the whole thing. A couple have been frustrated with a lack of access to devices, but hard copies of all the tasks are available too.

What parents can do is appreciate that this is new ground for everyone. We worked our arses off planning for this shift last term, but schools were given leave to prepare in their own ways, and not every school will have the same strategy. Everyone from leadership to teacher to student to parent is going to get something wrong along the way. We all need to forgive a little bit more than normal.

As far as returning goes, I'd rather one whole isolated term than a bunch of kids out for funerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It is time for Auspol Autumn.

This poo poo thread is over.