Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Anechoic Lazaret - is there anything to indicate that it's either of these things, or did they just mash two words together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

TitanG posted:

Nicely written TGEK, but I don't agree with some of your points. You say that Numenera is a bad setting for a spiritual story, and I disagree. I think it is the perfect setting for one, just not the classical type. You can straight off rip off Nietzsche - there is no objective God, there is only ideologies competing with no actual divine mandate. With no "objective" Good or Evil the setting is pretty much the best pick for going into that direction. The execution is utterly loving terrible, but the whole thing is basically completely set up for it. You're someone who follows in the footsteps of a creator of one such ideologies, a man who tried to ascend, and your role is to determine for yourself whether you think he succeeded or not (and more importantly learn through his mistakes). The Sorrow can be a multitude of things in the end, easily even a Faustian "devil" coming to collect, the Portrait of Dorian Gray or just a cosmic fact. The structure and themes are there, the problem is they're written like they randomly picked 20 people off some fanfiction site to write it. It's not like there aren't piles of classical literature to shamelessly rip off, I'd bet most of the writers haven't even read Cliff's notes though.

I will concede that something like Nietzsche would have worked perfectly but that's not what they were trying to write. They absolutely weren't going "God is dead, now let us make a new morality for a new age," the Sorrow is supposed to be both the arbiter of divine law but also some dude's murder robot. I probably should have said Man vs. God story instead of spiritual story though.

I'd personally, if I had to salvage this story and for some reason keep all the beats, make the ending reveal more like Slaughterhouse Five where the supposedly older and wiser aliens Billy Pilgrim looks to for wisdom reveal they're a bunch of dumbasses as stupid as us.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Well personally I can't decode what they were trying to write for poo poo. Because it's bad in every conceivable way. Declaring someone to be extra powerful because he has several apostrophes in his first name alone would've been an improvement.
As for the ending - there are several ways it could be written and logically you'd make it all the Changing God's fault. Maybe he created a new Sorrow by his castoff immortality technique, maybe he woke it up while unearthing ancient secrets, just make it have some connection to his story and you're already good. Making it just be the cold uncaring idiotic universe is also fine. Or just write it competently.
Honestly the writing is so bad it's not even worth throwing out hypotheticals because it lacks any consistency, direction or editing. Even writing it somewhat consistently would change the story so much it'd be a completely new game at that point.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
At this point, scrap the entire story, all dialogue, take engine, assets, the whole she-bang, rework the code so it goes somewhat infinity,
also toss the crisis mechanic, then release as a Neverwinter Nights-Build-Your-Own-Infinity-Engine-Game-StoryEditor.

I cannot think of a better way of doing this. Everything in it feels so tainted otherwise.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I finally did a Glaive playthrough. A few notes:

-Choosing combat at every turn has no impact on the plot.
-Dialogue about your level of violence seems like it's determined entirely by whether one of your tides was Red.
-Antagonizing the Bloom at every turn has no impact beyond making the Heart crisis more difficult.
-The Heart crisis is made significantly easier by using the transdimensional scalpel without restraint... so the above difficulty spike kind of evens itself out.

Also, there's no final boss fight if you decide to attack the sorrow at the end. I spent the entire game building up a collection of ciphers for the epic 300hp boss fight I thought this game was repeatedly teasing me with, but then you just blast the sorrow with a tidal surge in dialogue and that's it?? Are you loving kidding me? I really, genuinely believed, for some idiotic reason, that this game had a reason to play Glaive. It doesn't! It's genuinely a worse experience in every way. Don't do it. Don't even play Jack. Do a Nano playthrough and that's it

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Does the nano at least get to try to talk the Sorrow to death through dialogue choices, or do you cutscene kill it like the glaive?

Snorb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Nah the ending is the same for both jack and nano.

Do not play this game.