Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Mack raises one white eyebrow in mild surprise as the young woman turns into a bat but nods along to Adelle's explanation. "Neat trick." he comments before heading over to have a drink with Shelly since this may be the last chance for a while.

>"Gonna miss havin' ya around mate." the small half dwarf says, offering a slightly sad smile to the soon to be former captain "Hope that whereva the path ya on takes ya, ya know that we'll be there if ya need any help." he adds, patting Shelly on the hand.

>Sloth grins at the bat before taking a long hit on the blunt he's smoking, breathing out a slowly expanding smoke ring that billows up into the rafters in an effort to calm Rosie. Reaching for his vocal translator he says "We should... check out the book sellers... see if they... got anything else useful... hate studying this much... but figure we... need to get ourselves up... to the challenges ahead." he frowns at the translator and adds "And I... gotta adjust this... thing... it's getting annoying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Stoner Sloth posted:

>"Gonna miss havin' ya around mate." the small half dwarf says, offering a slightly sad smile to the soon to be former captain "Hope that whereva the path ya on takes ya, ya know that we'll be there if ya need any help." he adds, patting Shelly on the hand.
>> Shelly takes a deep breath, closes her eyes, and nods.
"Thank you friend, I'm gonna miss you guys too. Take care of Rosie for me, that's my last order as captain."

>> Rosie flaps down from the rafters back to the wheelchair, where Adelle has been waving a large cinnamon bun. She begins to gently hum a soothing melody that transfixes Rose, little bat swaying to the tune. Pop! she morphs back into her humanoid shape again, no worse for wear, and begins eating the pastry.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Shelly takes a deep breath, closes her eyes, and nods.
"Thank you friend, I'm gonna miss you guys too. Take care of Rosie for me, that's my last order as captain."

>> Rosie flaps down from the rafters back to the wheelchair, where Adelle has been waving a large cinnamon bun. She begins to gently hum a soothing melody that transfixes Rose, little bat swaying to the tune. Pop! she morphs back into her humanoid shape again, no worse for wear, and begins eating the pastry.

>Mack reassuringly promises "Aye aye captain.", sincerely snapping to salute his friend. Then, less formally, he raises a glass "Here's to ya Shelly, you were the best bloody captain we ever had... and whoever is in charge next has got some bloody big shoes to fill. Cheers mates." he clinks glasses with all in range despite the running this entails before skulling the entirety of his small (but proportionately large) glass.

>Sloth joins in this celebration, having a rare drink before eschewing alcohol for the rest of the night and sticking to :420:. He looks over at Mack who suggests "Couple of things we should sort out before ya head off. Firstly who ya wanna appoint as Captain? And second - Sloth and I should make ya a magic item to be able to contact us with if ya need to. Rosie? Maybe ya can give us a hand with that... still don't trust that Zlata won't try and hunt ya and besides, be good to have a way to catch up again sometime."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rose thinks for a bit, before plucking a hair from her head, and reaching for one of Shelly's. She holds the hairs in one hand and pensively eats the cinnamon roll with the other.
"If you can *nom* gather an item that connects the crew, something that means alot to everyone, *monch* I should be able to use it to power a vocal *chew* transmitter. Shouldn't be too hard to then make a *swallow* beacon attuned to it that you can zero in on with an orb, *siiiip* that way she can hear us and we could see / hear her." She sets down her teacup and fiddles with the hair, glancing at Shell's anchor necklace.

>> "Theoretically, at least. You'd be surprised how strong sentimental bonds can be, and what they can do when used as a power source. Any more cimmy rolls, Adelle? No? Oh..." a gentle pout as she goes over the rough calculations of her idea in her head.

"Memento destroyed for mermaid voice, seperate soon unflinching choice. To see the child from afar, raise thy gaze to shining star. Gathered hair flesh or bone will seal the link, set in stone"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Mack laughs "Yeah naaa mate, not sure Sloth understands any of that... uh... think he's more an artist than a scientist when it comes ta magic. Far as I can tell anyways." before shrugging "Sure youse two can work it out though. Shelly'll need ta fix up the bloody paperwork for the ship too... and yeah, figure out who is gunna be captain nominally for that poo poo and all."

>Sloth doesn't seem too bothered by any of this, relaxing back into his chair lazily and just chilling with a slightly sleepy look on his hairy face. Giving a big yawn that he half heartedly stifles with one paw he starts to try to weave a time/space linkage with the object, attempting to enchant it in such a way that it leaves the more experienced, competent and less half assed mage the opportunity to add her own magical style to help forge the enchanted anchor necklace into what it needs to be.

naem
May 29, 2011

“Crossbooo.” I nod sagely

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

naem posted:

“Crossbooo.” I nod sagely

>> Rosie whips the wheelchair around faster than you'd think possible and closes in, wheels touching Naem's boots.

"I need your beard." she says ominously.

>> "Like two hairs, one for this ritual and one for ... something else." Not bothering to clarify.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Seeing what Rosie is attempting, Mack jumps onto Sloth's shoulder and pulls out a long, wiry hair coated in a light fuzz of weird algae. He leaps back onto the table and hands this to Rosie to continue her magical attempts while Sloth continues to try to weave the magical basis for the anchor necklace.

naem
May 29, 2011

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rosie whips the wheelchair around faster than you'd think possible and closes in, wheels touching Naem's boots.

"I need your beard." she says ominously.

>> "Like two hairs, one for this ritual and one for ... something else." Not bothering to clarify.

I politely rummage around in my beard and offer up and hand full of loose bits

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rosie takes all the hairs from the dwarf and the Macktion figure, and nods sagely to herself.
"This might take some time, right Adelle? Of course I'm right, somewhere private where being disturbed would be mostly unthinkable. Adelle, you're thinking of it aren't you?"

>> A fist hits an open palm, the universal sign of having an idea, "A ship, the ship, youuur ship yes yes, that will do nicely. Adelle, get one of these new friends of ours to show us to the ship so we can work on the ritual. What do you mean ask them yourself?" She pouts and rolls her eyes. "Fine, could one of you please ask Adelle to ask one of you to show us to the ship, puhlease?"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth pauses what he's doing to help show Rosie and Adele to the ship, motioning with one long clawed paw to follow him so that they can work in peace on the communication amulet.

>Mack on the other hand seems more intent on sticking with Shelly at the bar.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rosie chatters incessantly to Sloth while Adelle pushes her chair at a gentle pace on the pier.
"I cant imagine how tiresome it is, having to navigate time as you do. Did you know barely anyone acknowledges Adelle? I'm not sure most people can see her. It took forever to find someone else who did, everyone else just said I was crazy. Jokes on them, I'm actually super-normal! P-please stop giggling Adelle, you're interrupting me."

>> Once on the ship, she slithers out of the chair and crawls on her hands and knees, inspecting the ship up close.
"Ooh wow, yeah theres lots of untapped emotional energy here. Camaraderie, anger, sorrow, fear; mmm yep yep! This'll do just fine." she says, getting a deep whiff. She asks for Shelly's anchor necklace and begins drawing an elegant heptagram on the deck with a charcoal pencil, placing it in the center and the hairs of the crew around it.

>> Still laying down, she starts singing;
"Puiul mamei puişor,
Dormi cu mama, dormi uşor,
Îngerii te vor veghea
Şi în somn te-or dezmierda
Na na na na
Dormi cu mama, dormi uşor...
"

>> Faint snoring comes from her still form, as hopefully the ritual completes. Adelle sips tea while sitting in the wheelchair, looking on with a small ghostly smile.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth smiles to the woman and the ghost, not interrupting Rosie and letting her chatter away. He tries to weave space/time magic into the anchor necklace as helpfully as possible - building the component magics to help contact the party across even vast spatial distances.

>After the work is finally finished up, he wearily up to the ships ceiling, hanging upside down in his usual resting pose with his back feet clinging there - a pose he can easily keep while sleeping. "Yeah... it can be... tiresome alright... the weirdest part, well... what I always found the weirdest... is having to adapt to new centuries... and millenia worth... of language and culture." he gives a shrug "Makes it hard... not to be eternally out... of place. When... I was younger... for example... the language we're speaking now... was hundreds of years... away from even beginning to exist."

>This much speaking seems to take an effort with the rather clunky and difficult translator and the sloth starts to fiddle with it idly, trying to get it to stop with the delays and come across a bit better and more naturally.

>"So. How did you meet. Adelle in t-the first. <error in translation>. Dammit. In the first. Place?"

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Stoner Sloth posted:

>After the work is finally finished up, he wearily up to the ships ceiling, hanging upside down in his usual resting pose with his
>"So. How did you meet. Adelle in t-the first. <error in translation>. Dammit. In the first. Place?"

>> Rosie stirs from her catnap, yawns and picks up the necklace. Adelle leisurely finishes her tea, gets up, and pushes the wheelchair to her before assisting in getting her reseated.
"How Adelle and I met, well I guess you could blame daddy dearest for that. She was his research assistant, after all. The last memory I have of them was one of my early birthdays..."

>> "Lets see, I was about five or so, and had been reading some of his advanced magic books without permission. I was being babysat with a couple of other children by Adelle, their names unimportant. The other children, jealous of my early extra-cognizance, took my book from me and mockingly pretended to read it. This was a very volatile and ill-tempered book, and it was getting upset, for lack of a better word.
Adelle, back with snacks, saw the situation and quickly calculated the scenario with the best outcome. She grabbed the book, threw it to the ground, and laid on it to force it closed. The arcane backlash obliterated her physical body entirely, took the use of my legs, and knocked the other kids comatose.
Or wait, didn't the children vanish as well? No that happened afterward, didn't it Adelle?" Rosie seems confused for a second.

>> "Suffice to say, Father was furious and my birthday was canceled. He retreated to his lab for a long time, and mother did what she always did when she was stressed - bake sweets. I was tired and scared and remained in bed, sleeping for days at a time. Then, one day, I woke up to a cold hand caressing my cheek, I opened my eyes to see ghostly Adelle back from the beyond!
She said my Father had been trying fruitlessly to bring her back, until he hit a breakthrough. Apparently, after succeeding, he demolished his lab, and skipped town without a goodbye, leaving only this chair. It broke mother utterly. She couldn't see Adelle, she thought I was mad with grief."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth nods in appropriate places to indicate understanding and even sympathy and extending out one long arm to reassuringly pat Rosalie on the shoulder, reaching out from where he hangs from the ceiling, before struggling with his voice translator a little more and coming out with "Tough. Break... Sounds like a tragic. S-story." before shrugging and relighting his blunt to take another hit.

>"Can... Relate. To. Having parents. Dis-sappear. Mine. Were both. Bureaucrats... Mages too of. Course. Anyway. Was a dis-dissapoint-ment. I guess? Stupid thing." he tweaks the translator a little more before continuing "I never really aspired. To all that much I suppose. Mostly hung out, shot cans and got high instead. Of studying to. Be something. When it was time for the Eternal City to. Move on again. They all left me behind. Whole civilization up and gone without even. Leaving a note."

>Giving Rosie and Adelle a smile he adds "Sounds like you could. Probably teach me a few things. About magic? Mack. Says I need to learn this stuff. Guess he's probably right. If I'm stuck here, at least. For the foreseeable future. Better learn to survive as best. I can. Sorry about. The translator. It's a cheap... older model.", by way of apologies for the machine's frequent breaks into static and uneven rhythm.

>Meanwhile Mack continues to drink with Shelly, reminiscing about their adventures together. The small half dwarf tries to alleviate some of her guilt about things and set a positive tone, encouraging her and trying to give her confidence a boost as she gets ready to start this new chapter in her life.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rose reaches for a cookie from her knapsack and is met with Adelle's disapproving face. Adelle floats up through the sack, with a stern gaze until Rosie wilts back.
"All the things I know, I learned from myself, not too good at teaching, right Adelle? Of course I'm right, everyone has a different muse and a different path after all." She says, looking up at some passing birds.

>> "I suppose I'll get situated here and finish attuning this necklace to a scry orb, I'll make sure Shells gets it before she leaves." Rosie ponders on how best to make her way inside the ship, unsure how to navigate the stairs.

>> Adelle simply leans the chair forward, unceremoniously dumping her down the stairs.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth nods to Rosie's noncommittal reply and then shrugs as she enters the Beast in classic style. The lazy cowboy then sighs at the inevitable effort of having to get things done, better than Mack waking him up and harassing him every 10 minutes or so.

>Mack already has prepared a rough list of things to be done:

-Anyone in need of joining a guild should join one, get quests in the area we're headed. Sloth will join the Mage's Guild.

-Two training sessions for everyone applicable - Sloth will go for spellcasting and marksman (assuming that can work with Shotgun Skillz)

-Acquire books for further learning in the field - looking for Stealth, Marksman, Spellcasting, Shape Matter, Alchemy, Herbalism, Tracking and Archaeology books + anything others can think of (e: add in a book on Metallurgy)

-Write to Laila asking for information/advice about Mack's situation/knowledge about homunculi/etc as well as general alchemical knowledge.

-Sort out Inifinite Slug Factory deal with PBSC.

-Sell Mystic Booze made from Wyzzord tree fruits. Let anyone who wants to try a couple of shots from it first.

-Get the mystic battery, if possible with a magical energy accumulator fitted to set it up to allow us to teleport - possibly have it use teleport beacons for long range accuracy and set one up linked to PBSC docks in Frigg as well as a couple of others we can place. Have it capable of shorter range teleports as well. Hire help if necessary.

-Get dinoboat made - set up teleporter to let us travel with Whelkie or to teleport the boat on and off his harness.

-Acquire :420: and supplies for our journey, get some extra.

-supplies like health and poison antidote potions, and supplies for poison and fire bolts. Oh! and a replacement grapple-hook bolt and climbing rope (figure we can use potion chest and alchemy set up to save money on some of this)

>Sloth will use temporal magic to speed things up where possible. Other than that think we're good to go.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 31, 2020

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So fresh.

Marble is the token.

Spun, no snakesm spiders, or ratts.

Back into my bag, marble although I think a beast was unleched/

naem
May 29, 2011

purchasing supplies like health and poison antidote potions, and supplies for poison and fire bolts. Oh! and a replacement grapple-hook bolt and climbing rope wouldn’t be a bad idea if we can afford it. Food obviously

Ooooooooooh wait, could such thing as fire-ballista bolts be constructed?? I mean at that point we should probably just upgrade to cannons

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Tumbling ungracefully through the air, Rosie shifts into a very surprised bat, and gives Adelle the stink-eye. The spectral servant, unperturbed, blankly stares at her before gathering the luggage she packed and following her downstairs, letting the suitcase hit every step down.

>> Rosie swoops down the stairwell into the belly of the Beast, and uses her echolocation to map out the innards. Let's see, a good spot to do a ritual, she thinks to herself, no too cluttered. No that smells like old dog and sandwiches, oh! There!
She flies to a spot a certain priestess used to do rituals at, long ago. The circle still drawn into the dusty floorboards, the candles, unlit but yearning for a spark. A soft pop and she regains her humanly form, and begins setting up for the telemancy beacon ritual.

- - - - -
>> Shelly looks at Mack and sighs, "friend, the busty beast needs a captain about as much as you need a haircut. The important thing is being there for each other, trusting one another and always havin' each others backs. Y'all will do fine, i promise ya."

>> She takes a big swig and stares at the stone figure with a wink, "Tell ya what - you choose the next captain. But make 'em worth my legacy yeah?" She ends this with her typical guffaw.

naem
May 29, 2011

“Oy did some’n say sandwiches??”

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

naem posted:

“Oy did some’n say sandwiches??”

>> Summoned by the inquiry, Adelle floats wordlessly through the deck planks and bows in front of Naem. Her eyes locked onto his, she does a small flourish and a plate appears in her outstretched hand. Atop the plate is a crusty ham and rye sandwich, with delicately sliced cheese and topped with an olive skewered on a toothpick.

naem
May 29, 2011

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Summoned by the inquiry, Adelle floats wordlessly through the deck planks and bows in front of Naem. Her eyes locked onto his, she does a small flourish and a plate appears in her outstretched hand. Atop the plate is a crusty ham and rye sandwich, with delicately sliced cheese and topped with an olive skewered on a toothpick.

Eyes open wide I humbly accept a delicious sandwich and pledge my undying loyalty, right up until someone else offers me a bigger better sandwich

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Shelly looks at Mack and sighs, "friend, the busty beast needs a captain about as much as you need a haircut. The important thing is being there for each other, trusting one another and always havin' each others backs. Y'all will do fine, i promise ya."

>> She takes a big swig and stares at the stone figure with a wink, "Tell ya what - you choose the next captain. But make 'em worth my legacy yeah?" She ends this with her typical guffaw.

>Mack laughs and takes another drink. Wiping his mouth with one tiny forearm he replies "Spose ya right, ain't like there are many of us left. Just figure it'd help us get organized. I'd offer to do it myself but I'm not even really part of the crew any more... that and ain't sure I ever had the right temperament for it anyways. Sloth is way too lazy and besides, probably better as a navigator or something."

>"We'll figure it out though I'm sure. Whoever it is'll have big shoes to fill though." he adds before finishing his drink.

-------

>Sloth hurriedly tries to make the necessary preparations for us - adding in Naem's suggestions for supplies to the list as well as a book on metallurgy. (will add to the list)

naem
May 29, 2011

“Smmandsmmmwitch!!” I say around a mouthful of sandwich

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Before this box opens I am making pancakes. I could revolve around some trouble wif anybody wants some.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rosie lets out a large sigh, and opens her eyes. The shell necklace in the center of the pentagram thrums and glows with energy, but it will take a while to see if the ritual took or not. It's like baking, the ingredients need time to cook.

>> She looks around, noticing the lack of Adelle, who must've found a task to perform in the meantime. Rosie grins and morphs into a large snake with a pop!, slithering away through the hold. She flits her tongue out and tastes the air, Adelle has trouble finding her in snakeform and disapproves of it, but it's just so freeing to be able to move on one's own! What to do what to do, her snake instincts wants to go bathe in the sun and take a nap, her vampire instincts say no that's stupid, sun bad - go eat something instead.

>> Rosie yawns sleepily as she attempts to split the idea 50/50, making her way up the stairs after raiding the meager kitchen for scraps. She pokes her snout out the door, tongue darting every which way, keeping a watch for anyone coming. It's hard to climb stairs without legs, and much harder carrying a large piece of ham. Unfortunately, the extra exertion tires out the poor lass and it's much warmer up top and ... so hard to *yawn* stay awa...

>> Curled up around her prize, the snake drifts off to sleep at the top of the stairs.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
>> Increasing level of all kinds. I set my sights due east from here.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>Sloth wanders through the city attempting to get Mack's suggested plans accomplished and trying to avoid any difficulties along the way.

>Mack continues to drink with ex-captain Shelly, wanting to give her a proper send off. He's careful not to over do things though, being a tiny dude rather than a 4 ton fighter now. Still his estimation of the difference in drinking ability is probably a bit off "Anywaysh we should meet up next Lutos day even if nothing goes wrong mate..." he continues to drunkenly ramble away with slowly diminishing coherency, probably needing to be carried back to the ship before the night is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>One new friend, one old friend leaving. Lutos hated to lose track of his rag tag bunch of misfits but at least this time he got a proper goodbye and nobody was bleeding to death for once.

>>'Bon' Voyage Shelly! We'll stay super in-touch! Pigeons all the time with our adventures and also if we find out what ancient kingdom you are clearly the long lost heir of we're SO gonna track you down and finish up your destiny questline!'

>>Lutos looks around to the party..... 'So uhh, what next'