Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

first, cross-posted from D&D (but applicable to the entire forum):

Party Plane Jones posted:

Hello, goons of D&D!

Last year, we donated $8,743 to various charities in addition to blood/plasma donations. With CSPAM's help and donation matching, we raised $14,375.71.

Here are the rules:

1. Write on a piece of paper the following: “I donated blood for the Something Awful Forums!” Then, go donate blood/plasma, and take a picture of your arm with the piece of paper in the shot. If it’s not convenient to do it while the technicians are working (don’t get in their way!) then do it when you finish! This will be your proof of participation. You don’t have to and probably shouldn’t take a picture of yourself showing your face, but I won’t stop you if you’re a fearless goon. (If you don’t want to take a picture of yourself at all, you could take a picture of the paperwork they give you and write the message on there. Just make sure not to accidentally doxx yourself).
2. If you can’t or don’t want to donate blood, then you can substitute by making a donation to a reputable charity. There will be a list in the OP of charities known to be good, but if you want to choose another one (especially for non-American goons who want to help people in their local area) then be my guest. Just please research your charities and find one you can maximize your help by donating to! Post proof of this, generally the confirmation email, in the thread (remember to block out your email and personal information!).

We're not going to set any kind of minimum donation if you choose to go that route, but please donate in the spirit of trying to help those in need, and don’t go broke yourself to do this if you’re not well off.

As a reward and incentive for participating, we will be giving those who participate a gang tag designed by the very kind ShriekingMarxist! Please say thank you to SM!

We can also give out cute Christmas avatars, but that will be optional if you prefer the avatar you have now.

Prospective Avatar Options for You to Pick From:

If there is an already in existence gang tag you want, you can request that as well.

Good charities to donate to:

GiveWell’s list of top charities.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF)
Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights
RAINN
https://justdetention.org/hope/
These are some suggestions, but if you have alternatives in mind, please post about them so that they might be added to the OP.

We will add a list of participants to the second post as time goes on.

:siren: The cutoff for participation will be January 31st, 2020. :siren:

second, from the down-but-not-out Sagas Thread:

CannonFodder posted:

HOW ABOUT SOMETHING WHOLESOME

If Wholesome goony Christmas traditions are your thing, then please remember the Christmas GBS charity drives, which started out with Heifer International and the goon quest to cover the world in donated bees, but then moved to supporting Matenwa Community Learning Center in Haiti. Their program is about building schools in Haiti that don't follow the rigid French Schools that were prevalent. It was started on the island of Lagonav and at first was focused on teaching in the native Creole and translating educational tools and supplies into Creole. Now the program is larger and vibrant, but when the Goons made Matenwa the focus of the charity drive during those early years it was a significant amount of help that propelled the program to greater things. Goons donated something like $25k the first year and then $35k the next, mostly in small donations of :10bux: and :20bux: but many also signed up to give 5 bucks a month for a year.

Here's the page for Matenwa's Partnerships. https://www.matenwa.org/partnerships "Something Awful web forum" is listed as a partner. There's also a picture somewhere of a bunch of kids at the school and one is holding up a "Thank you Goons" sign but I can't find it and it's not on the main page anymore because that was like 6 years ago.

And it all started because a Goon involved with the Matenwa program suggested that Matenwa be the focus of the GBS charity drive. That's right, a Successful Goon ProjectTM.

Any other ideas? Post 'em here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Originally I had a big old effort post about who I donated to and why here, but gently caress it. Doesn't matter. A good cause got $50.00 from me and that's all that counts.

Merry Fuckin' Christmas, goons.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Dec 22, 2019

Warlocktopus
Aug 19, 2006
Post Post-Modern Man
Cross-posting this from the D&D charity thread.

Hey! Long time lurker, rare poster, hope this is the right way to do this. Basically, my family is trying to save the life of a Honduran doctor.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dr-tono-..._cp+share-sheet

My aunt moved to Honduras about a year back to teach, and as far as I understand this is someone in the community she's been a part of. Basically, he's a young doctor with a kidney problem, he has a donor, but doesn't have the scratch for the procedure yet.

I'm bad at communicating with that part of my family, but I'd like to help them with this. They've been trying to do this via FB and as far as I can tell not having much luck. They have no idea that I'm posting this on a dead gay forum.