Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I’ve never been to New Orleans but am privileged to be taking a trip there next week!

Ostensibly it is to visit family, there are cousins that live in Mandeville which I understand is an hour or so outside the city, and parents, cousins and grandma are also flying in.

But, the first 2 nights the husband and I are staying on the French Quarter, and there’s only so much family time I can stand in a day, so we’ll have a rental car for the other nights we’re staying up in Covington and can drive to see other more interesting things.

What should I eat? Drink? Listen to and visit? Avoid?

Also if there are any locals, I’d love to know if you know of theatres playing older Xmas movies around next week. It’s killing me to miss my annual theatrical showing of Die Hard, but maybe showing that every year is just a Chicago thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
The Erin Rose in the French Quarter has a frozen Irish coffee that is one of the best things I have ever drank. Also, get beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have a trip to Louisiana coming up. I'll be flying in and out of New Orleans, and will have maybe half a day on each end that I could spend in the city. Or alternatively, stop in Baton Rouge on the way to/from. Any suggestions on where to go? Maybe a good breakfast in NO, as we land at 8am or so.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I have a trip to Louisiana coming up. I'll be flying in and out of New Orleans, and will have maybe half a day on each end that I could spend in the city. Or alternatively, stop in Baton Rouge on the way to/from. Any suggestions on where to go? Maybe a good breakfast in NO, as we land at 8am or so.

The WWII museum was really cool, I could have spent another afternoon there. And just walking up and down the streets. Museum of Death was neat, if you have a very morbid streak (I do). They don’t pull any punches with wonder they show you.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
I usually point people to Coop’s Place on Decatur for a good mix of local food. Their fried chicken is amazing and their drinks are strong. Go to Verte Mart and order an All The Jazz sandwich or another creole sandwich and go eat it on the river.

Because of how much competition there is, there is really no bad food in New Orleans. There’s stuff that is more touristy, like Pat O’Brien’s, but the food and drinks there will at least be at French Quarter standards.

For sightseeing, the quarter is incredibly walkable and there are multiple streetcars that can take you around town. The Algiers ferry is $2 and you can hop on that by the aquarium to cross the river. It’s gonna be cold as hell in December, but it’s a great view anytime of day or night.

While you’re there, go see Kermit Ruffins at his club, Mother in Law Lounge. You’ll need a table reservation to get into one of his shows there or you can check him out at another club around town. I would also highly recommend seeing Rebirth Brass Band. They always have shows during the week and weekend. Check the livewire music calendar on wwoz.org and see literally anything on on that list. Alternatively, just go to Frenchman street at night and walk into any of the clubs there like d.b.a. or Snug Harbor.

New Orleans is just a city and there will always be crime. There are areas where millionaires live and areas where the working poor of the city live. Just use common sense and take a cab if you feel uncomfortable at night. Most crime in the quarter and surrounding areas takes place on Bourbon Street and it’s mostly things like assaults and pickpocketing. Again, use common sense like you’d use traveling to any unknown city.

Nola owns. Have a great time!

Guy Axlerod posted:

For the best breakfast, go to Stanley in Jackson Square. Cafe Amelie on Royal is good. For casual, fun, and cheap go to Clover Grill on Bourbon. If you wanna get out of the quarter, go to Magazine Street. It’s super walkable and has tons of good places to eat.

Edit: Just saw OP was for December of last year, my bad! Hope my recommendations help someone else!

Jascum fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 1, 2020