Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nice to see this being LP'd.

It tends to get overlooked, so it's good to actually see being played well - and informative of course.

Thinking about it, yeah it is amusing just how much of a fractured mess the series is; you have the "first game", which spans about five consoles, all with different mechanics - some being remakes or reinterpretations or both.

And of course, they all have regional differences on top of that.

The four versions of Rondo of Blood all on various systems. The aformentioned gameboy games (with a Wiiware reimagining of one), and PS2 games which are mechanically sequels to each other, but not necessarily narrative sequels, and do their own thing to the "mainline" series. The two N64 games, one of which is a remixed expansion sequel (which is narratively a prequel) of the other.

It's such a clusterfuck.

The most "complete" attempt at doing the whole Castlevania series on the forums I'm aware of covering at least a large chunk of the games prior to Symphony of the Night - was Zeratanis' megathread (YT link for those without archives) - should be noted :siren: spoilers for Bloodlines, Rondo of Blood and later Symphony of the Night. And even then some games slipped by.

Part of the reason why it's probably not been done since, is the sheer amount of time involved (some 30+ games) with high risk of burnout, especially once you hit the Metroidvanias and subject to the whims of RNG and Luck for various drops to show off everything.

And then there's the 3D games, which are their own ballpark of jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's an interesting take on the werewolf - anyone more familiar with the classic Castlevanias, does this kind of (ranged) battle show up elsewhere? SotN and the later games do feature werewolves but they're always the melee kung-fu kind.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fiendly posted:

Not at all, glad to see some first-hand experience with Dracula X Chronicles as I have none myself, I'm just gonna cover what I've already said about it again at the end of the LP. I've heard the remake of Rondo is not that great, it was just run at AGDQ and first impressions seemed to be generally negative, and looking at some videos of it myself, I really didn't like the look of it. Since it has the original game included, though, there's no harm if one prefers that over the remake. I've already been asked about doing more Castlevania LPs after the ones planned for this thread, Rondo+Symphony seems like the most obvious place to take things next if I do decide to go that way and Dracula X Chronicles is the perfect way to hit them both, just too bad about it being doomed to a failed console.
I liked it enough to attempt getting all the levels unlocked, using multiple characters and so on. It's hard as loving balls, though. I didn't play far in the original Rondo, so I don't know how much of that is accurate. I can say that I tried the Wii remake of The Adventure because someone suggested it to me in my thread, and I got my rear end handed to me like crazy in only the third level. They don't gently caress around with these remakes. And it's not like I'm bad at platformers...

quote:

I was gonna plug these at some point, seems a good time, I watched Simon's LPs of the Game Boy Castlevanias while I was preparing this thread and I really enjoyed them. In stark contrast to my approach, he knows the classic series well enough to tell you what these games are doing right and wrong at any given time. They're a great source for more of the old-school whip-em-up action (albeit slower action than usual), and one of the three Game Boy games is actually good!

Castlevania: The Adventure
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Castlevania Legends
thank u <3

anilEhilated posted:

That's an interesting take on the werewolf - anyone more familiar with the classic Castlevanias, does this kind of (ranged) battle show up elsewhere? SotN and the later games do feature werewolves but they're always the melee kung-fu kind.
Rondo's werewolf (and therefore the following ones because SotN's is based on it and further ones on SotN's) can Hadoken, and do a shockwave on groundslam. That's pretty varied as far as moveset goes!

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have been stuck on the Death fight in Rondo(as Richter) for awhile. I should get back to it.

Castlevania is easily one of my favorite franchises, I have played every single one except for the one you are doing in this LP and the multiplayer game Harmony of Despair. Personal favorites are Order of Ecclesia, Harmony of Dissonance, SoTN, Rondo, Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. I also have a strange enjoyment for Circle of the Moon and the two most recent DMC style games. The N64 games are super rough, but I still kinda liked them. The GB ones kindly LP'd by Simon are bad, with some minor exceptions.

Are we including Kid Dracula?

Also, if anyone likes Castlevania watch the Netflix show. It is basically the plot of CV3 with elements of Curse of Darkness added in. It kinda looks anime-ish, but it really isn't. It does however absolutely nail what makes Castlevania so awesome. I loved every moment of it, CV Dracula is the best Dracula. They did cut out Grant De Nasty, but frankly the dynamic between the 3 main characters more then enough and he never really fit anyway in my mind.

Also Warren Ellis has been trying to get this off the ground since the mid 90s, and the produced show seems to be exactly what he pitched way back in the day. It's clear he's a huge fan of the franchise, because there are so many little jokes and visual references that I think would fly right over the head of people who weren't in the know.

Who is Slogra?

Zushio fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 15, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zushio posted:

Who is Slogra?

He is the demon who loves his life.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

He is the demon who loves his life.

Ever since I posted that I've been looking for what was probably a fan comic that I read in high school when we were all obsessed with SoTN. In one of the frames there is a wanted poster with a picture of Slogra and the quote I originally said. If anyone can find that would be appreciated. :classiclol:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Pesky Splinter posted:

The most "complete" attempt at doing the whole Castlevania series on the forums I'm aware of covering at least a large chunk of the games prior to Symphony of the Night - was Zeratanis' megathread (YT link for those without archives)

Didn't know about this attempt. It shows its age on a technical level (a lot of the commentary is close to unintelligible) but it's still a much better way to see the numbered games in the CV series, all the archived LPs of those games are much older and have some gimmick or flaw that makes watching them extra tough. For example, from the CV3 LP in the archives:

No thanks!

I definitely wouldn't wish a full series LP on anyone, I just figured most of it would've happened just from the community doing stuff for so long, but I guess with the first 5 or so years of LP being mostly unsalvageable and the CV series being such a mess, it's not as automatic as I thought.

And now, time for one of my patented audibly sick updates:
The Floating Corridor

There's way more crammed into this video than any 8-and-a-half minutes should be able to handle, they tossed as many inexplicable ideas into this block as the entire rest of the game so far. Here are the music tracks I recommend listening to at the end of the video:

Moon Fight (Original)
Moon Fight (Arrange)

And while I was looking through the soundtrack for the first time, I found out the Arrange composer did do a hosed up, terrible, amazing Bloody Tears like we all expected and it just didn't get put in the game, but it is here:

Bloody Tears RMX

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The impossibly slowly collapsing bridge is such a classic. Wonder how many instances of it are there? Surely this can't be the first, does CV3 have one?

Zushio posted:

I have been stuck on the Death fight in Rondo(as Richter) for awhile. I should get back to it.

Castlevania is easily one of my favorite franchises, I have played every single one except for the one you are doing in this LP and the multiplayer game Harmony of Despair. Personal favorites are Order of Ecclesia, Harmony of Dissonance, SoTN, Rondo, Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness. I also have a strange enjoyment for Circle of the Moon and the two most recent DMC style games. The N64 games are super rough, but I still kinda liked them. The GB ones kindly LP'd by Simon are bad, with some minor exceptions.
I only wanted to LP the first because I got it on 3DS for super cheap and hated it so loving much, but the word "Chillstopher. Chillstopher!" kept popping into my head and I needed to exorcise it lol

I'm a huge fan of Metroidvanias, so I prefer those actually. I never got SotN on release, so for me it's only okay, just too uneven and experimental; I prefer Aria of Sorrow onwards, they really nailed it there. Dawn is probably my fav and most played one, despite sigil-drawing sucking rear end. Circle is great as well, I should finish it at some point!

quote:

Also, if anyone likes Castlevania watch the Netflix show. It is basically the plot of CV3 with elements of Curse of Darkness added in. It kinda looks anime-ish, but it really isn't. It does however absolutely nail what makes Castlevania so awesome. I loved every moment of it, CV Dracula is the best Dracula. They did cut out Grant De Nasty, but frankly the dynamic between the 3 main characters more then enough and he never really fit anyway in my mind.

Also Warren Ellis has been trying to get this off the ground since the mid 90s, and the produced show seems to be exactly what he pitched way back in the day. It's clear he's a huge fan of the franchise, because there are so many little jokes and visual references that I think would fly right over the head of people who weren't in the know.

Who is Slogra?
I wasn't actually a big fan of the show (I did finish the season, though) - it was way too slow for me, so many long dialogue scenes where nothing really happened. I have a similar issue with Witcher though, so maybe I should just stick to high-octane braindead action movies haha

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 15, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know you say that the bridge collapses slowly, but that sequence is still terrifying to watch; I did a little jump when that medusa head hit you. There's this deeply ingrained feeling that landing on any even slightly tilted platform should result in a slide into a bottomless pit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 15, 2020

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

anilEhilated posted:

I know you say that the bridge collapses slowly, but that sequence is still terrifying to watch; I did a little jump when that medusa head hit you. There's this deeply ingrained feeling that landing on any even slightly tilted platform should result in a slide into a bottomless pit.

It is actually pretty stressful, I kinda laughed at how slow it was when I first saw it but the way parts of the bridge break the moment you land on them or even before you get to them psychologically tricks you into panicking and making mistakes.

Simply Simon posted:

I wasn't actually a big fan of the show (I did finish the season, though) - it was way too slow for me, so many long dialogue scenes where nothing really happened. I have a similar issue with Witcher though, so maybe I should just stick to high-octane braindead action movies haha

I liked the Castlevanime well enough, it did try a little too hard to be grimdark but that meant the violence was very overdone and cool. I didn't find it particularly gripping and I didn't finish the second season, and I was kinda frustrated by the ineptitude of Dracula's vampire cabal, but I'm really glad it's so popular and well liked and I hope it makes people care more about the old games.

Zushio posted:

Konami included it in the recent Castlevania anniversary collection, its first official release outside of Japan. I guess it's technically one of those CV games that forgets to put Castlevania in the title or play anything like CV, which is a series tradition.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I just watched the Dracula X Chronicles run for this year's GDQ and saw another collapsing bridge. I was curious about the release dates and realized that this game LP'd here came out less than half a year before Rondo (which, as the original for DXC, also features a collapsing bridge I think). That's some rapid-fire publishing and also explains why I keep thinking I played this one - it's just very similar.

In other notes, my thought process whenever someone mentions The Adventure is "man that really sucked" -> "heh, Chillstopher" -> "the stage 1 theme is fuggen sick tho", so I checked if by chance it was on Spotify. It's not, but a bunch of others are! This led me down a googling hellhole with some tracks, and like with the games themselves, the remixes and medleys and borrow-from-this are manifold and incestuous. Also, re: names

quote:

An Empty Tome, also known as Twilight Stigmata or Dusk's Holy Mark [...]

Make your loving mind up!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I was gonna one day track down all the old Castlevania OSTs that I remember playing throughout my life. I just don't have the focus right now.

However.. I did run into a guy on Youtube (well namely his channel) who did some pretty good arrangements and remixes of quite a bit of them. Check out Jorge D. Fuentes or namely go here.

Tower of Dolls got re-used in Order of Ecclesia. This game may be the first to have a ball-room level, which seems to have been a tradition in most of the metroidvania-type Castlevanias since then and Super Castlevania 4.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some of these songs sound like they came straight out of Ace Combat 2, which also had a large number of rocky/jazzy tunes for its genre.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fuentes is a legend, his CV mixes have been around as long as the web has.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Right? It's my favorite CV song and I have no idea what it's name is...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 17, 2020

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

I think Dusk's Holy Mark is an attempt at literally translating Twilight Stigmata, with an Open Tome just being an English name because they didn't want to have a song named Stigmata, no matter how fitting it is for Shanoa.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
The Torture Chamber/Laboratory

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I believe Castlevania usually calls them just "The Creature".

e: Actually, purely out of interest: Death having two forms is something that started with SotN?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 30, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

e: Actually, purely out of interest: Death having two forms is something that started with SotN?

In Castlevania 3 he had a second phase where he was a huge skull.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
The weird looking babies in jars are called homunculi.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

This is correct, any Frankenstein's Monster type enemies are always referred to as The Creature in Castlevania. This is probably because Victor Frankenstein refers to his monster as such at several places in the book (amongst other things).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Oh god now it's gonna get good. I hope you're showing off that one side room.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Count Dracula's Tower

Bonus material:
Full soundtrack
Illustration Gallery by Ayami Kojima
Interview with producer

Took long enough, but we're here, the big climax. Clearly, this is indicative of the fact that I can't handle the responsibility of maintaining an LP like this right now, these games are super hard and the next one will require I play through with both characters, often recording both their runs and editing them together, and I'm afraid that's just too much work for me to take on at this time. So with Chronicles complete, I've got to call a hiatus. I'm very excited for Bloodlines, it's an amazing game, but I want to do it justice, so I'll get to it when I can. In the meantime, enjoy the end of this great game, and maybe check out some of the resources I used if you're interested.

Speedrun from AGDQ2019 - This was my introduction to the game, and just from seeing this, I had to buy it and show it off. It's not even that great a run, it was really just the game itself that sold me. My favorite part is when he gets hit on the map screen.

Original Mode Loop 8 run - This is the game played through on the hardest difficulty, showing off most of the secrets and changes. I barely had a chance to touch on it in my commentary, but enemy movement is gradually increased with each loop, and I've read that enemies gain a chance for critical hits that quadruple the damage they deal, with that chance being 50% by the 6th loop. Of course, you take a quarter of your health bar per hit on Original, so that means every hit is a coin toss as to whether or not it's a one hit kill (if this feature actually exists, I have no confirmation just some random youtube comments about it). I believe these videos are tool assisted, but regardless, they're thorough and show off the game at its most brutal.

Slowbeef plays Chronicles - I barely used this as a resource, but Slowbeef is always entertaining and knows way more about the series than I do, so it's fun to see his blind reactions to the game's tricks. He's playing an emulated X68000, which means he's on Original mode, but he has a weird hacked rom that makes him only take one damage per hit.

Alright, thanks for watching Chronicles, hope to see you for Bloodlines when I get to it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a surprisingly atmospheric level for a classic-style Castlevania - both the burning corridor and big bat bridge are really cool setpieces.
Anyhow, thanks for a great LP of a game I've would have found out otherwise and here's looking forward to your next projects.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I suppose it applies to basically every level but that is some even tighter timing for jumping and whipping. That would have driven me absolutely mad as a kid since I probably would have tried to kill everything.

I'm looking forward to Bloodlines whenever you get around to it, and thanks for showing me this.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Neat Fiendly, thanks for showing off this lesser known Castlevania.

Informative, thorough, and entertaining as always. Looking forward to your take on Bloodlines whenever it happens.
(Also checking out Simply Simon's chill GB playthroughs because of the thread).

Sharing this remix album of the game, which can't stop listening to.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 10, 2020

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Fiendly posted:

Update and hiatus stuff

Sorry if you're getting burned out! I'll definitely look forward to whenever you think you can get to Bloodlines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
We're archived! Thanks for watching Chronicles, hope I can get back to this thread before too long.

I also endorse this, it's a real testament to how underrated this game is that these awesome metal covers of its excellent soundtrack all have less than a thousand views.