Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's a good point - you can argue that gifting Baba is You is a cheap gift as it was like, 12-13 when on sale.... but I will never regret sending one of the best games of 2019 to someone. It's so drat good. Same with sending Invisible Inc, back when the minimum was 5.

Essentially I'd rather gift/receive a fantastic game than an expensive one. Which is to say that more transparency is a good idea.

Highlighted the emphasis here as well. I imagine a bunch of us have older stuff on our wishlists - just random stuff we heard about from a friend and figured we'd grab at the end of the sale and/or just 'someday'. Part of the thing is that for the same 'sale price' someone is probably far more likely to get excited over a newer title. This is a corollary to the bundle thing - a lot of bundles have these 3-5 year old games - good stuff - but not necessarily 'new' and therefore a lot less exciting. Again, it's hard to *codify* 'treat others like you'd want to be treated' but hey, that's what we're all trying to describe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Super late but this is still pinned so I don't feel guilty.

I'll be a voice of dissent and say I don't mind min gifting or min gifters. If you ride, you should have things on your wishlist that are around minimum as a courtesy. I am completely fine both gifting minimum (at this point, I usually aim for 10 bucks even in previous years with lower minimums) and receiving minimum. It's exciting to get something slightly unexpected that you want, even if you're effectively trading. I don't quite understand why it is expectation for internet strangers to drop 15+ on you unprompted.

Let's celebrate generosity rather than expecting it.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I agree; I don't mind receiving a minimum gift, either.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Minimum is fine, I don't think anyone has complained about a good gift that's in the 10$ range. The issue is, and anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, sending codes for random stuff that is on the wishlist, just to fulfill the obligation, rather than getting someone a thoughtful gift as is the point of the train.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have no complaints about receiving the minimum. I make sure my wishlist is nicely curated with what I'm interested in, and have a ton of fun when my gift comes in and the decision on what to buy has been made for me!

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Serperoth posted:

> random stuff
> that is on the wishlist

I kind of feel like this is a self-contradiction?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Reviving the thread to shout out a thank you to Nettle Soup for finishing the train at long last. I now have more Megaman, Tokyo Xanadu, and Recore!! Thank you!

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Super late but this is still pinned so I don't feel guilty.

I'll be a voice of dissent and say I don't mind min gifting or min gifters. If you ride, you should have things on your wishlist that are around minimum as a courtesy. I am completely fine both gifting minimum (at this point, I usually aim for 10 bucks even in previous years with lower minimums) and receiving minimum. It's exciting to get something slightly unexpected that you want, even if you're effectively trading. I don't quite understand why it is expectation for internet strangers to drop 15+ on you unprompted.

Let's celebrate generosity rather than expecting it.

This is not what we were saying however, we want to avoid newcomers being ganked by people who never gift more than the minimum or only bundled keys, if it happens once they might think it's okay but if everytime they run and offer a generous gift they get the same people trying to ride after them they'll just leave and not come back.
I don't mind someone popping behind me once and offering the minimum at all, I did it myself sometimes, esp if it's on the top of the wishlist then you know it'll please (and for those wondering I have a limit line on my wishlist because I have a bad memory and that's how I keep track of many games some I'd never pay a penny for others I'm just not in the mood to play right now but keep for steamgifts and the like or sometimes it's not even for me but to keep track of the price so I can offer it to someone I know)

The issue is not receiving around minimum here and there, it's when it's becoming an habit by some people to try to get bigger gifts but never reciprocate.
I don't mean you should offer for the exact same amount than you receive but at least try to pass on the generosity time to time after a lucky run. I've been here for several years and I believe I have been insanely lucky and met some fine people, most of us old timers have had quite nice runs and got great gifts and it's always fun to gift and to get a surprise gift in return but I'd rather not have on the train people who think it's fine to never ever go above the minimum no matter what they received. The goal is like you say to celebrate generosity not make people feel like they got milked out.

edit: and of course a huge thanks to Nettle for hosting us and dealing with the drama >_<

SA_Avenger fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 26, 2020

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
OT (not trying to get on the train) but I have a ton of bundled keys and was wondering what folk think is the best way to give them away.

(edit: sorry this is probably the wrong thread to ask).

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 2, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's fine, there's a Gifting Thread, or you can just do what I do, which is friend random goons on steam and then throw things at them when they least expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad News Panda
Aug 17, 2010

:gaysper:
Kirby says trans rights!

One can never avoid the swift and true aim of the Wheel of Trash.