Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes but WHY WOMAN ON SHOW and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Best use of this is in The Keys of Marinus where the Doctor disapears for an episode of two, then randomly shows up in a later episode to be Ian's lawyer... despite having no legal training AND being completely unfamiliar with the laws of the planet they're on :allears:

The Keys of Marinus is such a weird serial. Like it has no reason to be as good as it ends up because it's just Terry Nation fishing a bunch of unfinished ideas out of his garbage bin and sticking them together with tape, but that ridiculous trial scene is just so enjoyable, it's like this weird little bit of Kafka out of nowhere. I also enjoy the very Twilight Zone energy of all of them sitting around eating grapes while the audience is obviously extremely aware it's a trap and just waiting to see what psychic alien or hologram simulation it is this time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Part of why the First Doctor is so enjoyable, really, is that it's like "Okay, today Doctor Who is 'Honey, I Shrunk the TARDIS Crew' today" or "gently caress it, we're doing a fetch quest connected by a couple o' short stories" or "William Hartnell is also playing a character from the French Revolution, and no, this will not be explained" because they filmed a zillion episodes every week and at some times you just had to go with "The TARDIS crew literally just landed in a fake haunted house and got scared into thinking they'd traveled into the subconscious horror mind."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Bicyclops posted:

Part of why the First Doctor is so enjoyable, really, is that it's like "Okay, today Doctor Who is 'Honey, I Shrunk the TARDIS Crew' today" or "gently caress it, we're doing a fetch quest connected by a couple o' short stories" or "William Hartnell is also playing a character from the French Revolution, and no, this will not be explained" because they filmed a zillion episodes every week and at some times you just had to go with "The TARDIS crew literally just landed in a fake haunted house and got scared into thinking they'd traveled into the subconscious horror mind."

And then, there's The Web Planet. :lsd:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And then, there's The Web Planet. :lsd:

"We accidentally permanently smeared Vaseline on this camera lens and a bunch of dancers have been working on a thing where they act out the language of bees."
"Fellas, have I got the show for you!!"

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

marktheando posted:

The BBC is doomed. And their news output is such shameless tory propaganda that I can't bring myself to care about this or do anything to stop it.

Dominic Cummings would have to disagree with you here...

In Doctor Who terms, Cummings is basically Davros, hiding in the shadows controlling everything. Only he’s freakier looking.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
https://www.deviantart.com/bonjman/gallery/27013917/doctor-who

The comic strip that sold me on a female doctor who. :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I hate you for linking that.

Ugh.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Yes but WHY WOMAN ON SHOW and all that.

But why a bland woman lead instead of a great woman lead, ie someone like Mary Tamm or Kate O'Mara. May they both rest in peace.

Actually it probably comes down to poo poo writing again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think Jodie Whitaker is bland, and it seems strange that the only names to go for in terms of non-bland actors are people who are literally dead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That said, I’d rather watch more episodes of the Jo Martin Doctor at this point.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

That said, I’d rather watch more episodes of the Jo Martin Doctor at this point.

It doesn't matter who the Doctor is if the writing is insulting.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

DancingShade posted:

But why a bland woman lead instead of a great woman lead, ie someone like Mary Tamm or Kate O'Mara. May they both rest in peace.

Actually it probably comes down to poo poo writing again.

In a perfect world, the first female doctor would have been played by Stephanie Cole.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
ratings bad

quote:

The conclusion to this year's series of Doctor Who, The Timeless Children, had an official rating of 4.69 million viewers, according to figures released by the Broadcasting Research Audience Board, BARB.

The figure is the lowest consolidated figure for an episode of Doctor Who since the series returned in 2005, a record previously held by the 2017 story, The Eaters of Light. Out of 861 episodes of Doctor Who broadcast since 1963, only 33 have achieved a lower rating.

To put the figure in perspective, it was still the 30th most-watched programme on British TV for the week, much higher that the position achieved by the majority of episodes of Doctor Who shown over the years. The episode had a 21.5% share of the total TV audience.

Doctor Who had an Appreciation Index score of 82

The average viewing figures for 2020 now stands at 5.40m as opposed to 7.96m for Series 11 in 2018. This is lower than Series 10 which averaged 5.64m. It is still higher than the lowest rated season, season 26 which averaged 4.31m

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Eaters Of Light was a sad one, because it was written by the same person who wrote the last story of the old series, and I don't think it actually beat that story's ratings

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you, thread, for saying what everybody should be saying everywhere and not the gruesome alternative.

This cast deserves better than Chris Chibnall.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I had high hopes for Chibnall because he was a long term fan like RTD and Moffat, and Broadchurch was great. The combo of Mega Nerd Whovian combined with Legit TV Show Producer From Other Genres seemed unstoppable.

I was wrong. Chibnall falls prey to the worst impulses of RTD and Moffat and/or the poo poo they never really did but get accused of. He's trying to do a bunch of things different for no good reason besides "Doctor Who has never been like this!"

Like I would probably have rather some outsider come in and poo poo all over canon with a reboot than be let down by someone who should have done much, much better but got too consumed with trying to distance himself from his predecessors. He has no doubt done his dammedest to ensure that's what we'll get next, and probably a decree to never mention poo poo from the old show again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is the worst season of Doctor Who I've lived through in real time and I spent my first Halloween after socially transitioning dressed as Thirteen. I still wear the coat when the weather's right.

It feels super icky to be negative in this thread. We're not usually negative in this thread.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not sure about 'worst season'. I think Capaldi's first two seasons were worse on the whole. It's just that this one is probably the worst ending, and it's real hard to recover from a bad ending because it's the last thing we leave with.

It's also probably kinda hard to enjoy the top three stories in retrospect, because they all tie into that ending. Spyfall's good, but gives us the Master's part of that story. Fugitive of the Judoon's good, but it gives us Doctor Ruth. And the Mary Shelley episode I can't remember the name of is good, but it gives us the Cybermen's part of it all. The Master, Doctor Ruth and the Last Cyberman are even good in isolation in those stories, but it's probably gonna be hard to shake off what happens later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Doctor Who has historically been lucky enough to cast actors who are strong enough to carry the show even when the scripts are total garbage, and that holds true for JodieDoc. We’ve suffered through a lot of bad seasons under good Docs, so I’m not panicking or anything, but it would definitely be nice if Jodie had her own Season 11 style run of consistently good episodes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

Eaters Of Light was a sad one, because it was written by the same person who wrote the last story of the old series, and I don't think it actually beat that story's ratings

It's also a pretty good episode and deserved a better response.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man if this series is even better than Capaldi's first two then I really should get to watching it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's also a pretty good episode and deserved a better response.

I agree! Quite a memorable one and mostly in good ways! Good setting, good characters, good plot! I enjoyed the mythical resolution too.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

2house2fly posted:

Man if this series is even better than Capaldi's first two then I really should get to watching it

It's not.

I really don't get why anyone thought Chibnal would be good. His episodes before the current doctor were the WORST written episodes in all of Dr. Who, IMO.

Based on his writing and showrunning of Dr. Who, you could not force me to watch this Broadstreet, ever.

I would love to have someone 'good' (a relative term, I realize) playing a female doctor, but this current one who seems to channel Ernest P. Worrel... 'know what I mean' is just bad.

https://gph.is/1sz1ZpI

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ernest would have been an excellent American Doctor so

What's the issue here?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wish Chibnall wasn't insisting on writing or co-writing the bulk of the episodes. Writing on Who has never been his strength but he puts together incredible casts and the show has never looked better. He simply doesn't have what RTD and Moffat (for all their other faults) had when it comes to the ability to write the major big-time episodes.

This cast they currently have is so loving good and it deserves so much better writing wise than what it has been getting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think the hope with Chibs was invested into his writers room approach that he lauded but doesn't actually seem to have used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
insert some sort of regeneration joke here