Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't 07th Expansion also doing fairly well with the third When They Cry series? I mean, not as well as Type "smack 'em with a wad of bills" Moon, but I could see it going for a Stardust Crusaders-like thing or something where they do 4 cours separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patware posted:

dendrogram is solidly alright but I'm still having a real good time of it because of stuff like this

the speed at which ray got strong as poo poo was a little nutty but at least it put him on level with the plot rather than straight OP

It's not the best show ever made, but it's a solid adventure show with some earnest effort into fleshing out the minor details and I really appreciate that. Ray definitely had a massive power spike early on, but I think the show tempers it well by showing that other players around his range have same/similar capabilities (aside from the Boss rewards) and the Superior players can do some absolutely insane poo poo. The entire Superior duel in the arena was slowed down to like 1/5th of regular speed, remember :stonklol:.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

BNA is a stylish, straightforward actioner w cute/cool designs and pretty coo animation. I wouldn't expect the same level of emotional depth as something like Beastars, tho. Both the main leads are a bit boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pootybutt posted:

BNA is a stylish, straightforward actioner w cute/cool designs and pretty coo animation. I wouldn't expect the same level of emotional depth as something like Beastars, tho. Both the main leads are a bit boring.

I liked Beastars, my only problem is the blind translation of Legoshi, when it's pretty obviously meant to be "Legosi" as in "Bela Legosi". Especially when almost all the other characters have western names.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked Beastars, my only problem is the blind translation of Legoshi, when it's pretty obviously meant to be "Legosi" as in "Bela Legosi". Especially when almost all the other characters have western names.

Legosi is a Hungarian name and the She pronunciation is how they actually say it or something. LegoSEE is just the 'Murican version.

I'm hot and cold on Beastars. The carnivore/herbivore dynamic doesn't really mean anything to me, and when the drama centered on it, I quickly got real bored. The real meat of the story is the focus on interiority, presentation, obsession and the hard work of introspection and making yourself vulnerable, all that stuff is so gripping and intense and evocative.

I haven't read any of the manga, but now that the new season is so far off, there's no reason not to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Definitely start from the beginning again, paru's rough artstyle has a lot of charm to it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What about Rouis?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just in time for the official start of spring, the next seasonal thread is open!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

What about Rouis?

Oh yeah, that too. It's there in text but I'd swear they are actually saying "Louis" in the dub, so I can't help but wonder if they actually caught that one when scriptwriting.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Season's winding down, here's my impressions of all the shows I've kept up with.

Eizouken: Anime of the season. Go watch it if you haven't already.

ID:Invaded: Pleasant surprise of the season. Some sketchy animation at times, but consistently well-directed, well-paced, and surprisingly inventive and clever.

Bang Dream: Way better than a GCI gatcha idol anime has any right to be. Snappy writing, a well-executed central arc, and somehow still managed to make time for all of its five thousand characters.

Bofuri: Surprisingly fun virtual RPG show, especially once they start expanding their guild with more broken gimmick builds. Pleasantly low-stakes in a way that reminded me a lot of Gun Gale Online a few years back.

22/7: Pretty good idol anime, but didn't fully capitalize on its weird premise. Aside from the first and last couple of episodes, THE WALL barely matters to the plot, and there's not much to set it apart from similar shows otherwise. The various backstories are competently told but not particularly original, and the slew of self-contained backstory episodes that made up the middle two thirds of the season got in the way any real plot development.

In/Spectre: Has had some good moments, but the pacing of the second half of the season has been terrible. Desperately needed a script editor willing to delete like 80% of all dialog, because the constant and incredibly repetitive exposition has turned a potentially fun arc into a boring slog. I'm not even sure if I want to finish it at this point, I tuned out like three episodes ago.

OshiBudo: Half romantic comedy, half idol show. Not as cringy as it seemed at first, but the complete lack of progress between the two main characters felt increasingly contrived. I did like that the show acknowledges the more obsessive parts of idol fandom in a way that did not feel too mean-spirited, also the gay idol couple was good.

Railgun: After the mess that was season 3 of Index last year, I was afraid that I might have been remembering its spinoff series more fondly than I should have. Luckily I was wrong, Railgun is still good.

Chihayafuru: Between this and Railgun, this was a good season for improbable third seasons after extremely long absences. Feels like it never left, and still manages to surprise.

Haikyuu!!: The animation seems a bit more rough around the edges than previous seasons (and I really miss the old eyecatches), but still a really solid sports show.

MHA: Having a more low-stakes, comedy-focused arc was a nice change of pace after last season's drama, even if the main villain ended up being a wet fart.

Koisuru Asteroid: Perfectly fine mid-to-low-tier Kirara show, I won't remember watching this three months from now.

Heya Camp: More Yuru Camp is always good, but man, these were some tiny portions.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

cave emperor posted:

In/Spectre: Has had some good moments, but the pacing of the second half of the season has been terrible. Desperately needed a script editor willing to delete like 80% of all dialog, because the constant and incredibly repetitive exposition has turned a potentially fun arc into a boring slog. I'm not even sure if I want to finish it at this point, I tuned out like three episodes ago.

Good to hear that someone else has had this issue. The show became so pointlessly verbose and repetitive that I dropped it like 2-3 episodes ago. It's a shame as it had a strong start but the iron lady whatever arc has been a disaster from being soooo dragged out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the most frustrating thing is that the arc in and of itself has an interesting concept at its core "Hey! If enough peeps believe in this, boom! Real ghost, mufuka!" :hellyeah:, but when you could've cut at least one or two episodes off this and lose none of the significance of the arc or intersperse it with other mysteries, it kinda seems like a waste.

Such a shame. Though I guess we'll always have the OP...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e294welZouM

And the delicious ED...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmwWMyURnk

:allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i checked out the anime after reading the whole arc and yeah it seemed like a pretty bad adaptation for making that interesting to sit and watch

there's also the bit to it that it's a wildly inaccurate depiction of an internet message board but i think you have to ignore it for your sanity

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Agreed that this season of Railgun was surprisingly good, mostly because it's been practically 100% Railgun characters and 0% Index characters. Plus Masaki and Misaka are a lot of fun together.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yeah, that too. It's there in text but I'd swear they are actually saying "Louis" in the dub, so I can't help but wonder if they actually caught that one when scriptwriting.

In my experience, shows licensed by Netflix tend to have better dub scripts than sub scripts.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

cave emperor posted:

Season's winding down, here's my impressions of all the shows I've kept up with.

Pretty much same for me. I've been also watching Hanako-kun, which has great esthetic, likeable dorky characters and a good mixture of funny and :stare: moments, and Runway, which in some regards is a really average shounen but also has quite good character writing

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Someone said earlier upthread in either this one or the discussion thread that they're not going to remember Asteroid in Love by next season. I'm having trouble remembering it now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kwyndig posted:

Someone said earlier upthread in either this one or the discussion thread that they're not going to remember Asteroid in Love by next season. I'm having trouble remembering it now.

And that someone is 7 posts above yours.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

pending some last episodes,

got everything i wanted out of these: eizouken, bofuri, somali and the forest spirit
good but not consistently so: hanako-kun, magia record, in/spectre, id invaded
tried but dropped: koisuru asteroid, oshibudo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kwyndig posted:

imo koisuru has a lot of fun little bits in a few of its episodes, the problem is that none of those bits have to do with uh. geology or astronomy. they made some fun scenes between characters but those scenes are only interesting when they completely drop the premise of it being a show about geology or astronomy. it's a bit of a problem, for a show that's supposed to be about geology and astronomy.

overall i'd pin it on the source material being like extra super dry and boring to read and the anime staff only really being able to make the worst of that a bit less dull, they made some parts significantly more entertaining but it didn't really last past the first five or so episodes before it started feeling really dry and uninteresting

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorohedoro ended up being the only thing I really kept up with this season. It was really good so I'm fairly happy about that, I'd like to get back on eizouken though

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Isn't 07th Expansion also doing fairly well with the third When They Cry series? I mean, not as well as Type "smack 'em with a wad of bills" Moon, but I could see it going for a Stardust Crusaders-like thing or something where they do 4 cours separately.

I sure hope Ciconia gets a good anime at some point, both because it lends itself more to spectacular action scenes and because, like Umineko, it's always interesting to see other people's reactions to it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Magia Record was a show where I watched the first two episodes, kinda planned to keep watching but never got around to it. Haven't really seen much talk about it either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zandar posted:

I sure hope Ciconia gets a good anime at some point, both because it lends itself more to spectacular action scenes and because, like Umineko, it's always interesting to see other people's reactions to it.

I'd like to see an adaptation but I think properly getting across the parallel processing stuff is going to be a headache. I didn't watch the Umineko anime besides some scenes but I heard they stumbled really hard with the metaverse there too.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
an anime that uses two video files playing at once

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'd like to see an adaptation but I think properly getting across the parallel processing stuff is going to be a headache. I didn't watch the Umineko anime besides some scenes but I heard they stumbled really hard with the metaverse there too.

I think the thing the Umineko anime struggled the most with was adapting a murder mystery whose ending had not been written yet so it accidentally got many facts so wrong in adaptation as to render the mystery unsolvable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Let's hear it for Nagoya, Japan's third most city

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the thing the Umineko anime struggled the most with was adapting a murder mystery whose ending had not been written yet so it accidentally got many facts so wrong in adaptation as to render the mystery unsolvable.

it was also just a very inflexible and direct adaptation of something that neither fits in a 26 episode runtime nor is very straightforward or direct

if you wanted to do a good umineko anime you'd, need to think more about how you can translate it to another medium well and get the resources to accomplish that

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Umineko anime was compelling enough to get me to read the VN. As a glorified commercial for the source material I’d say it did its job.

I can’t imagine it ever getting a proper adaption. A lot of the stuff in the back half seemed like it would be rather difficult to animate, and I don’t see anyone committing to the 100 episodes it would need.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Let's hear it for Nagoya, Japan's third most city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-8Z-4QGwqU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
EDIT: Nevermind, solved my problem.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep seeing people reacting to Jeweler Richard on my tl like something exciting happened and I'm dying to know if it actually got interesting at some point and I dropped it too soon or if they just got more out of a boring show than I did. I hope people will put up more detailed reviews so I can see if I should have given it more of a chance -- I have too much other stuff I'd rather watch than going back to this one if it's just more of what the first 3 episodes were like but nobody is posting spoilers so I can know for sure :argh:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I keep seeing people reacting to Jeweler Richard on my tl like something exciting happened and I'm dying to know if it actually got interesting at some point and I dropped it too soon or if they just got more out of a boring show than I did. I hope people will put up more detailed reviews so I can see if I should have given it more of a chance -- I have too much other stuff I'd rather watch than going back to this one if it's just more of what the first 3 episodes were like but nobody is posting spoilers so I can know for sure :argh:

Another victim of spoiler culture.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Isekai Quartet S2 made perfect use of Overly Cautious Hero: He walks up to the school, goes "could be dangerous" and walks away.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sindai posted:

Isekai Quartet S2 made perfect use of Overly Cautious Hero: He walks up to the school, goes "could be dangerous" and walks away.
Close. He didn't cast some bullshit Lvl X,000 Magic to raze the building and erase every atom from existence as a just in case, and Ristarteface was absent

But cute nod.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Sindai posted:

Was kinda hoping for Ristarte and Aqua to dap out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Really, Infinite Dendrogram? The son of a Detective Holmes? :allears:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Really, Infinite Dendrogram? The son of a Detective Holmes? :allears:

they went all in on making that character wildly special and I'm into it when i normally wouldnt be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patware posted:

they went all in on making that character wildly special and I'm into it when i normally wouldnt be

Oh I don't hate it at all, I think it's silly as hell and I am all for it. The deductive combat was actually really good to watch, they continue to do an excellent job of tying all the skills into an RPG skill template with actual game rules rather than just "WOO MAGIC WITH A SPELL NAME!" I really do like Infinite Dendrogram, just because they actually try to ground it in its RPG dressings and engage with them instead of using it just as a veiled excuse for an Isekai adventure. The peek into Rook's real life also gave a very nice little clue as to the fact they're indeed pissing in an actual magical world for a monthly subscription, given the audience has no way to tell what the tech level SHOULD be like for them.