Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aye, this does have the stink of a new mechanic in this type of a game that wasn't well implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I really enjoy the Old Mine Road segment, it's one part of the game I always look forward to revisiting. It's not too hard to figure it all out through trial and error, it just takes time and effort. But that time and effort can get frustrating if you're constantly being knocked off of your bike while trying out different combinations against randomised opponents. Apart from the recoil booster guy, it's entirely possible to knock every rider off using any of the weapons if you're skilled and patient enough. The chainsaw is god-mode though as it one-shots almost everyone.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is it actually possible to defeat the chainsaw girl without the fertilizer? I mean, I suppose once you have the chainsaw you can beat her but is it actually possible to defeat her with the other weapons?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Aces High posted:

is it actually possible to defeat the chainsaw girl without the fertilizer? I mean, I suppose once you have the chainsaw you can beat her but is it actually possible to defeat her with the other weapons?

As far as I know it is possible, you just need to be patient and time your attacks. I will attempt it when I record additional footage.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
It's quite a nice bit of casual worldbuilding to have a cave-dwelling biker cult with inexplicable super-technology whose religion somehow involves highway robbery that the government apparently can't or won't do anything about, and everyone's reaction to them is just "Ugh, these weirdos again".

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am disappointed we never got a sequel to this. Maybe since double fine got to do the remaster that can eventually do a sequel

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

mateo360 posted:

I am disappointed we never got a sequel to this. Maybe since double fine got to do the remaster that can eventually do a sequel

There were a couple in the works for a short time. I thought that the death of Roy Conrad put a stop to any further talks of a third attempt.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Something always bugged me in the "I don't get it" sense about the sound of the Cave Fish bikes.

It always sounded like the Cave Fish were listening to music on the radio, or at least through headphone and loud enough to be heard outside them. Because there was this looping beat on the Old Mine Road that sounded like they were listening to Sound Factory or something, a background woman's vocal.

But during the rig chase and cave scenes, the Cave Fish bikes had that zippy bee sound more like the front-leaning sport bikes we know. So it wasn't a sound coming from the bike itself.

Now in the remaster, the sound pops up again in a shot of a Cave Fish on its bike in the cave, zipping along, with that looping sound. I still haven't been able to reconcile what that sound is supposed to be.

Maybe the Cave Fish are cultish rig hijackers who also listen to early 90's dance techno?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If you forgot to put the hovercraft booster on your bike before jumping, but you have it in your inventory, Ben is nice to slap it on automatically before you do. It's the little things.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

If you forgot to put the hovercraft booster on your bike before jumping, but you have it in your inventory, Ben is nice to slap it on automatically before you do. It's the little things.

well Ben doesn't want to die thanks to the player not following through on all parts of a puzzle.

That and Lucas Arts is not Sierra and this is NOT a King's Quest entry :v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Bootcha posted:

Now in the remaster, the sound pops up again in a shot of a Cave Fish on its bike in the cave, zipping along, with that looping sound. I still haven't been able to reconcile what that sound is supposed to be.

I figured it was the sound of their hover engines.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We survived the jump and now we're well on our way to catching up with Maureen and Ripburger. Thankfully, they're on each others doorsteps. Unfortunately, neither of them are welcoming us with open arms.This episode features a lot of bunnies, a lot of pain and a lot of fire.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Maureen getting antiquity on Ben's rear end, I see.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is the part I always think of when people talk about how Adventure game protagonists take everything not nailed down

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the merchandise salesman is one of my favourite NPCs in all of gaming, especially with fun quips like "buy the kids something so they'll shut up on the long drive home"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

We survived the jump and now we're well on our way to catching up with Maureen and Ripburger. Thankfully, they're on each others doorsteps. Unfortunately, neither of them are welcoming us with open arms.This episode features a lot of bunnies, a lot of pain and a lot of fire.
Well, those two sure turned into

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A triple post here as I've had a lot of free time this evening.

The sixth and final video of this LP. We catch up with Mo and we attempt to deal with Ripburger once and for all! The gameplay footage and cutscenes end around the 25:40 mark, the rest of the video features the credits. Feel free to watch them if you want too as there are humorous entries as well as amusing haikus, there are no additional scenes or dialogue. Well, there's a few seconds of something right at the end but you aren't missing anything if you don't see it. Even though I skipped exploring the computer screens due to time limits, I recorded them straight afterwards alongside a few other things that I missed.

I did attempt a run of the Old Mine Road with straight fights with the tyre iron, but after fifteen minutes I found out that I didn't have the time or patience to do it. It is possible to take on the chainsaw lady, you just need to avoid the attack as it one-shots you. I did try but after numerous attempts, I started to get overly stressed and decided to stop.

Bonus Video - Additional Scenes & Dialogue

This video contains the missing dialogue with Quohog. It also contains the scene of winning at the knife game as well as the additional computer options in the cockpit and truck.

I'm not going to image tag it here as some people may not enjoy the gore. I decided to play badly at the knife game and recorded just how badly you can mess up Ben's hand: https://imgur.com/4opsRyl

Bonus Video - Full Throttle Demo

As you can probably tell from the title, this is the demo of Full Throttle, it pretty much plays like an interactive trailer. None of the footage or puzzles is unique, but there is unique dialogue from Roy Conrad that wasn't featured in the main game. I think that the timestamps are 01:30, 04:08, 04:40 & 06:49.

Fish Noise posted:

Well, those two sure turned into

A rather distasteful rug?

Thank you everyone for joining me on this very short but very enjoyable adventure. I love Full Throttle and pretty much all of the LucasArts adventure games, which is probably evident as I've LP'd a lot of them already. If all goes well I'll be starting up a new LP next week of The Walking Dead series.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 5, 2020

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Your link wasn't working; this one should.

Thanks for the LP. Really a blast from the past.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LP!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

klafbang posted:

Your link wasn't working; this one should.

Thanks for the LP. Really a blast from the past.

Thank you! I've updated the links now.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for the LP!

Thank you for being a part of it!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

A triple post here as I've had a lot of free time this evening.

The sixth and final video of this LP.

It a good game but it's easy to forget how short it actually is.

As you can probably tell from the title, this is the demo of Full Throttle, it pretty much plays like an interactive trailer. None of the footage or puzzles is unique, but there is unique dialogue from Roy Conrad that wasn't featured in the main game. I think that the timestamps are 01:30, 04:08, 04:40 & 06:49.

that demo sure does give a lot away doesn't it?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Yeah, wow, that was really short. Cool while it lasted, though.

unlike this rug

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I always forget how short the game actually is since I played it as a kid with English as a second language, so that took me waaaaay longer than necessary.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I got stuck in a few places early on in this game, but once you know what you're doing the game can be done in a very short time.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
TBF, that's true of most adventure games; replayability is minimal, even in the ones with multiple paths because a lot of the gameplay experience, for better or worse, was rubbing everything at everything once in a while to get past something particularly moonlogicy, exploring everything after each progress to find what has changed, and of course pixel hunting (gently caress that secret passage). An optimal play-thru, even one exploring everything, does not convey that (and shouldn't).

Though, even then, Full throttle was very short even for its time and genre (despite being one of the largest game of its genre at the time, IIRC).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for putting your lips on this.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Kibayasu posted:

Thanks for putting your lips on

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Great LP. I get why but it's interesting how much shorter this game is than the other Lucasarts ones.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They really highlighted the hell out of the spot on the wall you're supposed to kick in the remastered graphics. The kick puzzle was a lot more obtuse in the original game, and I think Tim Schafer said in an interview or possibly a Giant Bomb quick look that he got a lot of complaints about it over the years.

EDIT: This is what I was thinking of.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 6, 2020

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

klafbang posted:

TBF, that's true of most adventure games; replayability is minimal, even in the ones with multiple paths because a lot of the gameplay experience, for better or worse, was rubbing everything at everything once in a while to get past something particularly moonlogicy, exploring everything after each progress to find what has changed, and of course pixel hunting (gently caress that secret passage). An optimal play-thru, even one exploring everything, does not convey that (and shouldn't).

Though, even then, Full throttle was very short even for its time and genre (despite being one of the largest game of its genre at the time, IIRC).

Yeah, but even say Monkey Island takes a decent amount of time to finish even if you do know what you're doing. Granted much of that time is eaten up by the RNG nature of insult sword fighting, but still. This game's short even accounting for that. Budget contraints I'm sure played a hand in it, and it's still good and all, just very short.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

when I was a kid I liked playing this game as a quick thing to do after school because I could beat it in about 30 minutes. It was fun (and it was one of the few adventure games that I played multiple times) and I think a lot of it came down to the aesthetic of the game, the attitude. There just wasn't anything else (that I was aware of) that was like it, so I kept playing it and playing it. This game, TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, and Outlaws was actually what I spent most of my computer time on as a young kid. Then a friend introduced me to Command & Conquer and one of my siblings' friends gave us Diablo and suddenly I was playing games not just from Lucasarts :v:

thanks very much for the nostalgia trip RBD and a nice LP!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Give 'em hell, Polecat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

A good lp of a too-short game.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

Yeah, but even say Monkey Island takes a decent amount of time to finish even if you do know what you're doing. Granted much of that time is eaten up by the RNG nature of insult sword fighting, but still. This game's short even accounting for that. Budget contraints I'm sure played a hand in it, and it's still good and all, just very short.

I think I was more comparing to some of the early Sierra games (which isn't really fair). You can do Leisure Suit Larry in 20 minutes if you know what you do and cheat at gambling. Compared to Monkey Island, this is definitely short by any measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Fantastic LP, man, of one of my favorite games from LucasArts.

Thanks for this particular piece of info, I didn't know about the demo at all.