Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Problem description:

Very recently (like a few weeks ago) I built a new computer, and when I started playing some online games I began to notice odd lag events. In particular, in Destiny 2 while playing PVP I'd occasionally notice players to "lag out" by continuously running in whatever direction they were headed for several seconds - running into walls and sliding along them, before my end would catch up and everything would rubber band back to where it should be. I initially chalked it up to the servers being weird, but then I started to get similar lag & rubber band correction in another game (Deep Rock Galactic) when none of my team would experience the same, and then again when I tried hosting minecraft for friends (the whole server would have random lag spikes, with basically fine performance the rest of the time - we didn't have a ton of people on the server and my machine should be strong enough to handle.)

This hitching doesn't seem to be causing noticeable issues to most other internet things; I'll be on discord and chatting during the "lag spike" without anything noticeable happening. For the most part I dont think it's affected any youtube/streaming playback (although I was noticing some odd video hitching this morning where the image would lag behind the audio before catching up/skipping ahead - replaying that part of the video wouldnt produce the same effect so it was something on my end? Not certain this is related or not.)

It also feels slightly intermittent, because I feel like I've had rounds of the aforementioned games without noticing the lag spikes.

I'm connected by ethernet cord, so it's certainly not a wi-fi thing.

Attempted fixes: The usual stuff of rebooting the computer, rebooting the modem and router, and even took a friend's suggestion to double check my LAN driver. (Despite attempting to install the LAN driver from my MOBO manufacture's site, windows installed a different, older one. I updated to the one on the MOBO site but that did not fix the issue.)

One google search turned up something about the power setting "fast startup" that can cause issues for some drivers, I switched that off, and also my computer power profile was set to a balanced mode, which I'm not sure what it does for a desktop. I haven't had time to confirm if either of these have had effect, but I'm skeptical they will since the fast start mentions not impacting restarts (which I've done around lag spike events to try to see if it would fix it.)

Recent changes: Covered this above, the "new" element is my build. It's *possible* the issue could be on modem/router/ISP end, but the factors make me think it's something with my new machine.

A stray thought; when I sleep this computer, the only way to wake it up is pressing the power button. My old machine would wake on mouse or keyboard input. Maybe the sleep mode is affecting the drivers? But I'd expect a more dramatic problem / and for it to not persist after a restart?

Operating system: Win 10 Pro

System specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: 16 Gigs
GPU: Nvidia 1070

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
I would check to see if you have newer drivers available using the program below:

https://sdi-tool.org/

Also, I would check the following IP addresses using the humble ping command, use the command prompt or powershell to run these commands:

1. IP address of your router, usually 192.168.x.1. Check using ipconfig
2. IP address of your gateway/modem, usually your public IP address. Check by visiting wtfismyip.com
3. IP address of your DNS server, 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, etc...

You should be able to check at what point in your connection is causing the lag spike.

What kind of router are you running? What version of software is it running? There may be a configuration setting in the router that is causing the issue.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

That tool seemed to suggest my Ethernet driver was out of date, so I gave that an update (seems like a really neat/useful tool in general, thanks!)

I haven't been able to see any issues on the ping test, but I sort of need to wait till I start seeing lag spikes again to run them in tandem.

My router is a D-LINK DIR-615 Hardware ver B2 running Firmware Version: 2.2 (this would seem to suggest im on latest firmware for it?)

e: I think my router had a totally wrong system time? When I just checked it thought it was April 1 2006. But if anything it's probably been that way for awhile.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 24, 2019

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
Try updating the firmware with the link you provided. At the very worst, it will do nothing to solve this issue.

If updating your firmware and drivers did not work out, I would suggest moving on to replacing the DLink as that had an end of life over 5 years ago.

I would suggest something like this to replace the DLink:
https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Delivers-Enhanced-Security/dp/B07RD8NHS2

Hope this helps, and let us know the trip report when you run those updates.

DeepBlue fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 16, 2020