Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FWIW I'm on track to finishing my toxx by the end of next week, just in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh, we're allowed to do exchanges?

I'd like to exchange March Lion and NagiAsu for Gundam UC series up until Char's Counterattack. I've already watched the first two compilation movies of 0079 so that's:
- 3rd 0079 movie
- War in the Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 1st Thunderbolt movie (will save the 2nd for when the 3rd comes out as advised)
- Zeta
- ZZ
- CCA
- 0083 somewhere in there

Gundam ZZ done. I generally quite liked it, even the super goofy first half, especially Mashymre. Boy, was I in for a surprise when he became a war criminal offscreen!

Saving CCA for the Christmas weekend, so I'll do Hanebado from my original toxx list over the week.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Gundam ZZ done. I generally quite liked it, even the super goofy first half, especially Mashymre. Boy, was I in for a surprise when he became a war criminal offscreen!

Saving CCA for the Christmas weekend, so I'll do Hanebado from my original toxx list over the week.

Igloo!!!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
working on popee still. have had a lot less time lately cuz ffxiv raid tier has dropped but im off christmas week so ill prob finish in a few days

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm gonna attempt to make progress again soon (tm) maybe I can manage to binge enough if I'm disciplined

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh, we're allowed to do exchanges?

I'd like to exchange March Lion and NagiAsu for Gundam UC series up until Char's Counterattack. I've already watched the first two compilation movies of 0079 so that's:
- 3rd 0079 movie
- War in the Pocket
- 08th MS Team
- 1st Thunderbolt movie (will save the 2nd for when the 3rd comes out as advised)
- Zeta
- ZZ
- CCA
- 0083 somewhere in there

And that's CCA done. I put my thoughts here in the Gundam thread. Back to finishing off my Hanebado rewatch in my main toxx post, and I'll be done.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

also, i wanna do a small toxx to get me to watch more anime. i end up only watching 2 or 3 shows a year (if that) so i wanna increase that a tad.

here is my MAL. it is very out of date because they keep locking me out of my account lol. if you rec something thats not on here but ive already watched it you can say something else.

i wanna aim for 6 this year. i already have one recced to me so you guys can pick the other 5.

1. Keep Your Hands off Eizouken (my girlfriend)
  2. Blast of Tempest (wark)
  3. Eureka Seven (dryzen)
  4. Akanesasu Shoujo (bees)
  5. Popee the Performer (julias)
  6. Bernard-jou Iwaku (erg)

done. i said id give thoughts but forgot to over the year. here they are now, in list order.

Eizouken: 10/10. i wont go on too much about how well it captures the joy of creating since thats been talked about to death. i will say its nice to see an anime where the characters are so real.
Blast of Tempest: 8/10. i did not expect to like this as much as i did, but they did the shakespeare aspect way better than what i was expecting (really just window dressing). im not huge on shounen action but this was interesting enough to keep it entertaining.
Eureka Seven: 9/10. im glad i gave this one a second chance. there really a lot going for it when youre actually conscious to enjoy it. i was warned there was a lot of meandering slice of life stuff around episode 16, but i actually like that. what i disliked is the bit after that where it was just meandering eureka and renton are mad at each other. i guess thats realistic but it wasnt really enjoyable. a small spot on a great show though.
Akanesasu Shoujo: 10/10. this shows gay as hell lol.
Popee the Performer: 7/10. i liked it and its an impressive show given when it was made. but a good number of the jokes fell flat to me and it sometimes was just way too macabre. i could see myself watching it again though.
Bernard-jou Iwaku: 8/10. pretty funny. i like the transition into a more personal version of the show but i guess i wish the other 2 characters got to stick around a lil more lol. very upset that the only book they mention that ive actually read is the little prince. do. better.

also, my girlfriend got me to watch girls last tour and the tatami galaxy, both 10/10 shows. i watched a lot more than i figured this year, which is nice. have a great 2021 everybody.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Draxion posted:

Alright now that I've been able to sort my list by date started, I am going to at minimum finish everything I started in 2012/2013 and never finished. These are:

Trigun
Bokurano
Ergo Proxy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Higurashi
Genshiken
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Bartender
Martian Successor Nadesico
Kuragehime
Monster (oh no)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (oh NO)
Kids on the Slope
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Hell Girl
Kamisama Dolls
Spice and Wolf

19 shows, so about two/month from the list with Monster and LOGH getting a month each.

I've watched all these now. I don't have a lot to say about most of them, but some stuff stood out:

LOGH and Monster are as good as everyone always says, Ergo Proxy bored the hell out of me seven years ago but I loved it this summer. Onizuka has an all time classic OP. The Bartender anime is kind of mediocre but it did get me to go read the manga, and the manga was really fun! Having an actual structure instead of being entirely episodic like the anime helped. And uh, let's see. I liked Genshiken enough to look for the second season. It's very funny that it looks like an anime about an otaku club but is largely about how rough it can be to date someone you don't share any interests with. Kids on the Slope was cool, looked great, very fun music animation and stuff.

Everything else was some variety of "okay" I think. I think the thing I was most hoping to "get" after seven years was Haruhi but no, I still don't. Maybe next time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Draxion posted:

I've watched all these now. I don't have a lot to say about most of them, but some stuff stood out:

LOGH and Monster are as good as everyone always says, Ergo Proxy bored the hell out of me seven years ago but I loved it this summer. Onizuka has an all time classic OP. The Bartender anime is kind of mediocre but it did get me to go read the manga, and the manga was really fun! Having an actual structure instead of being entirely episodic like the anime helped. And uh, let's see. I liked Genshiken enough to look for the second season. It's very funny that it looks like an anime about an otaku club but is largely about how rough it can be to date someone you don't share any interests with. Kids on the Slope was cool, looked great, very fun music animation and stuff.

Everything else was some variety of "okay" I think. I think the thing I was most hoping to "get" after seven years was Haruhi but no, I still don't. Maybe next time.

I've been meaning to get into LoGH for years, and I managed to get three episodes in before bouncing off not that long ago. I hate to do this, but do you mind saying how long it took before you felt like you "got" why it's such a classic?

Had more than a few shows where I needed four or five episodes to really get into the groove, so I've learned a little patience, but I'd like to know if that's only my problem here, or if there's a point where people tend to go "Oh, that's what people are talking about!"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I’m also watching LOGH for my toxx though I’m 7 eps left from the end. I too bounced off the show once watching the prequel movies first because it was just kinda too dry. However, Sentai licensed the ova sometime since and their script has more character than what I remember of the old fansub, which helped. Early LOGH gets kinda bogged down by how often you get “subordinate gives good advice to commander” > “commander ignores it and dooms everyone on the ship” but it eases off of that after arc 1, or episode 26. The most compelling part of LOGH is when it focuses on the horrors of war, and there’s a good ep in the middle that shows one side celebrating their underdog victory cutting occasionally to the other side dying horribly trying to scramble to safety. Episode 26 is the big pivotal moment to watch for, so that’s where I’d put mine.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Though with all that said, I really hate the cult poo poo and I was seriously considering dropping the show at like ep 90.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I've been meaning to get into LoGH for years, and I managed to get three episodes in before bouncing off not that long ago. I hate to do this, but do you mind saying how long it took before you felt like you "got" why it's such a classic?

Had more than a few shows where I needed four or five episodes to really get into the groove, so I've learned a little patience, but I'd like to know if that's only my problem here, or if there's a point where people tend to go "Oh, that's what people are talking about!"

Yeah, it's a fair bit further than 4 or 5 episodes. Probably around the civil wars starting 15 or 20 episodes in? This is about when you can really start seeing who Yang and Reinhard's political ideas, and who they are as characters besides "this guy's a really good admiral."

Up until that point I was still having a good time though, largely because I really love the scale of the fleet battles. There's one early battle I remember where one of the admirals orders his fleet to hold fire until the enemy was within 6 million kilometers, or that there's 50,000 ships engaged, and I think numbers like that (and the big wide shots of the battlefield) help sell that this is actually a galactic-scale conflict of the sort I haven't seen done very well in a lot of other anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

From last year's toxx that having a job dashed any hopes of finishing that I'll try to get done this year:
March Comes In Like A Lion
NagiAsu

Edit: swapped these two out for the Gundam stuff in this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3908412&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post508168144

Stuff that I never finished from last year that I'll work on now:
Dororo

Triple-H sports special, to be done by 2020's end:
Haikyuu (probably not including the new season, but I'll see my schedule)
Harukana Receive
Hanebado (rewatch)

How bad could this be :v:

Hanebado rewatch done, and toxx all done! Last match was pretty drat great (again). Whilst I remembered that Ayano's mum was a poo poo I had forgotten just how much of a poo poo she was.

I'm freeeeeeeeeee

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes | 110 eps | AnoHito| Started: 05-27 | Finished: 12-29

After seven months, I'm done with LOGH. It's definitely good, but its dry nature never really compelled me to binge it beyond some scattered short bursts. I didn't really have too much to comment on for most of my time watching it, other than the increased focus on the evil cult in act four. As a concept, I dislike the evil cult existing at all because they represent an easy common enemy for both the Alliance and Empire, which is so simple and straightforward next to everything else in the series. I found their involvement with the induced rebellion plot especially frustrating since it felt like everyone involved was playing perfectly by the cult's script, with every step of the way shown in slow, gorey detail. If it weren't for the toxx, I would've seriously considered dropping the show right then and there. Though I did circle back to laughing at their last ditch attempt to kill the kaiser in the last episode, so who's to say if it was all bad in the end.

Anyway, Reuenthal was in love with Mittermeyer and you can't convince me otherwise.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 30, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finally I have completed all 9 seasons of Teekyu, and with that my toxx is completed with a few hours to spare!

It's really obvious that Teekyu is meant to be enjoyed at a rate of 1 episode per week, and binging a bunch of them at once isn't really that fun. But even putting that aside, I feel like the concept looses quite a bit steam by the second season, and in s3 and especially s4, the episodes feel much less focused and cohesive, and way more "random" with regards to the ridiculous things happening on screen. S5 surprisingly gets a lot more focused again, and felt almost as enjoyable as s1 did. S6 and S7 were similarly about on par with S2. S8 was kind of all over the place, some eps feeling like S1 and S2, and others feeling like S4. It kind of averages out to a S3 in quality in that way. And lastly we get to S9, where suddenly we get an ED in addition to the OP! It actually really bops. But yeah S9 was about on par with S3, and ends rather suddenly with the characters wondering if they'll get a 10th season, and well, 3 years and 3 months later they still haven't, so it feels like Teekyu has finally retired.

Overall Teekyu ranking:

S1>S5>S6>S2>S7>S3>S9>S8>S4

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm done :toot:

Since I didn't post after finishing each show here are the ones I finished and didn't make separate posts about :

My Roommate is a Cat - it was super cute, also I cried
Golden Kamuy s2 - got me fired up to catch up on S3, also I enjoyed the sea otter meat episode and the hot springs episode very much
The Eccentric Family s1 - Unlike most of the other shows on my list where I really liked them and stopped watching due to life or that weird thing I do where I like something a whole bunch so I don't want to finish it, I was having trouble really getting into this one to start with and it took a while to click for me. Then ep 8 pretty much emotionally wrecked me and I was really engaged from there til the end.
Run With the Wind - I put this one off as long as humanly possible and still finish by the end of the year because of the aforementioned weird "I love it but don't want it to end" thing I keep doing to my favorite shows. 10/10, such a great show. Everyone should watch it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ok, I'm not gonna make it and I admit I have nothing to show for it.

The real problem is that I haven't really put down the rules for what the toxx should be, so if this thread happens for 2021, I'll clarify it some more and put some meat into it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

sb hermit posted:

The real problem is that I haven't really put down the rules for what the toxx should be, so if this thread happens for 2021, I'll clarify it some more and put some meat into it.

this thread already did happen for 2021!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I've got a weird toxx here.

Simply put, the problem is that I have too many gunpla kits unfinished for my own good.

So,

My toxx is simple: complete 12 model kits by the end of the year or DIE.

toxx failed, I did 2 and then covid burned me out. I submit myself for punishment.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oh nice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sb hermit posted:

Luckily for you we decided to give people clemency this year on their toxxes because of what a shitshow year 2020 has been.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias posted:

Luckily for you we decided to give people clemency this year on their toxxes because of what a shitshow year 2020 has been.

I'd still like a ban so that jeffrey can get some more funds for the forum

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sb hermit posted:

I'd still like a ban so that jeffrey can get some more funds for the forum

We can compromise and you can just buy four avatar certs for ADTRW posters :colbert:

If you don't feel like picking who gets them, you could pm me the codes, and I'll make a thread where posters can win them in a game.

Julias fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 1, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias posted:

We can compromise and you can just buy four avatar certs for ADTRW posters :colbert:

If you don't feel like picking who gets them, you could pm me the codes, and I'll make a thread where posters can win them in a game.

ok

but it would be nice to get at least a joke 6'er to decorate my rap sheet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

ok

but it would be nice to get at least a joke 6'er to decorate my rap sheet

Thank you

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

For the record, because of how this year's been and because it's my thread - im determining the punishment for 2020 failure is 2 weeks probation. the mods will bend to my will and accept this

@Julias
@Wark Say