Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1210916803800707072?s=19

So Trump has appointed a new director of the federal agency that coordinates homelessness response. This person's chief qualification for the position is his role in creating an experimental homeless shelter called The Haven for Hope in San Antonio, as well as his (very brief) stint as the first CEO of H4H during its first year.

I was a resident of Haven for Hope for approximately two years, from late 2012 to mid 2014. As such I have some very strong opinions about this individual and his policies, and as I will establish below I believe he will use his position to attempt to open de-facto concentration camps for the homeless. Because this mans original vision for Haven for Hope was exactly that, and the reason for his ouster was because he lost an internal political struggle after his policies backfired spectacularly during the early days- having pissed off everyone from the local police to the local (and politically powerful even by Texas standards) faith community.

In so very many ways the history/success of Haven for Hope ever since his departure has been a direct refutation of the authoritarian directives that marked this mans time at the helm of H4H, so it is particularly galling to me that this man is using the present success of H4H to promote his monstrous ideas.

For a bit of background please read this article:

The Consultant Leading the White House Push Against Homelessness.

Citylab posted:

Panhandling is a gateway to vice: That’s the claim on which Robert Marbut Jr. has staked his entire career.

According to Marbut, a consultant who’s spent the last decade advising cities on how to manage services for people living in homelessness, those who panhandle on the streets spend 93 percent of the money they receive on drugs, alcohol, or sex. He’s repeated that figure in dozens of appearances before city councils and media outlets, including an interview with NPR’s Rachel Martin in 2014. When the Weekend Edition host pressed for details, Marbut replied, “We’ve done a lot of research.”

That 93 percent figure has always bothered Jeremy Alderson, a journalist and activist who bristled when local agencies in Sarasota, Florida, hired Marbut in 2013 to help them come up with a strategy. How, exactly, would a researcher find out how much a person living on the street paid to a drug dealer? Or to a sex worker?

“If you were homeless, what would you think if a stranger came up to you, asked if you were homeless, gave you some money, and then started following you around?” asks Alderson, who interviewed Marbut about his methods in 2015. (Marbut did not agree to an interview with CityLab in time for this story and did not respond to questions.)

Other experts question whether any research exists to support such a claim. The data is weak across the board, according to the National Alliance to End Homelessness. One survey conducted in Toronto nearly 20 years ago found that the single largest reported expense for panhandlers was food (followed by tobacco, then alcohol, then illicit drugs). Samantha Batko of the Urban Institute’s Metropolitan Housing and Communities Policy Center agrees that there’s nothing in the published literature on homelessness that adds up to the figure that Marbut has used. “While panhandlers do report spending money on alcohol and substances in surveys, these same surveys show that food is their primary expense,” she says.

Still, Marbut has successfully used that striking stat to help build a career promoting his signature “velvet hammer” strategy—a policing-heavy model that emphasizes banning panhandling, centralizing services for the homeless in massive facilities far from urban centers, and providing food and shelter only as a reward for good behavior. Over the last decade, Marbut has convinced hundreds of cities and counties across the nation to pay for his advice. His next stop: the White House.

On Tuesday, the federal task force that coordinates the government’s actions on homelessness approved Marbut as its new director. The Trump administration tapped him to head up the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness, coordinating initiatives for people without housing across 19 different federal agencies.

Even before the council, known as USICH, took its vote, housing advocates and progressives in Congress raised red flags. A group of 75 members of Congress signed a letter to President Donald Trump this week to register their dismay with the appointment, calling Marbut “unqualified, unprepared, and disdainful of the mission of the critically important federal agency which he has been appointed to lead.” The letter further says:

quote:

We are very concerned that the Trump administration would pick someone whose professional work is based on practices that are cruel, punitive, ineffectual, and expensive to run the only federal agency tasked with ending homelessness.

Marbut, a former San Antonio city councilman, is best known as the founder of Haven for Hope, a vast shelter complex on San Antonio’s West Side that has been the focus of much controversy since it opened in 2010. Billed as a “transformational campus,” the 17-building complex features a surface lot called the Prospects Courtyard, where between 700 and 900 people may sleep at night on concrete, exposed to the elements. Residents struggling with substance abuse won’t find shelter in the part of the facility that provides roofs overhead until they pass a required drug test.

Marbut’s time at Haven for Hope was short lived: Within a year, the founding CEO was out. But he’s since exported the model he established there to other cities, and advocates now fear that it will serve as a national template as he assumes his new capacity as the Trump administration’s go-to on homelessness. Worse, they say, his approach flies in the face of evidence-based practices developed and supported by housing groups—including, until now, USICH itself.

“[Marbut’s] goal seems to be to try to fix what he perceives to be individual flaws with punitive and dehumanizing tactics while completely ignoring the clear and obvious structural flaws that create and exacerbate homelessness,” says Diane Yentel, president and CEO for the National Low Income Housing Coalition. “It strikes me as a throwback to 19th-century poor houses.”

Based on my experiences with this gentleman's policies I believe promoting him to this position this is a prelude to the Trump administration adopting a policy that will create de-facto concentration camps for the homeless- as this was (in essence) the original vision for Haven for Hope. What is generally not well known outside of the homeless community is that this original vision of Haven for Hope flopped spectacularly- that was the reason for his ouster. The harsh authoritarinism of Haven for Hope's initial design caused far more problems than it solved and several soured relations between the San Antonio police and a number of influential local church's (to name but a few) and Haven for Hope's operating principles (which have seen such dramatic success in the years since) have largely been a direct refutation of the harsh conditions/Skinner Box principles that Robert Marbut Jr. championed so loudly as the only effective path forward for addressing homelessness.

Having witnessed firsthand just how much of afailure this fascists policies were I am exceedingly pissed to see that he is spinning the success of Haven for Hope (a success that is a direct refutation of his policies) to push the federal government into adopting his monstrous ideas.

From late 2012 until middle 2014 I was a resident of Haven for hope, spending time in 3 distinct areas of the campus (PCY, IHWP, Men's dorm). As such I feel I have a pretty well-rounded (although by no means complete) picture of life in the H4H campus during that period. It is not an understatement to say that I am alive and (marginally) functional today because of the care I received at Haven for Hope- and I do not wish my criticisms here to be construed as a criticism of the H4H campus itself or its present operating policies/staff. During my time at H4H I saw a considerable effort to improve conditions for all residents, but particularly for residents of PCY. (When I arrived things had already improved considerably from when the facility had opened, and this trend continued all throughout my residency there.)

Haven for hope is an incredibly complicated place- primarily because it is in fact two completely different homeless shelters that share the same campus. The idea is that all homeless people enter the campus through the notorious "Prospects Courtyard" (or "PCY" as it is known throughout San Antonio) where living conditions are incredibly stark and have been designed to be as (intentionally) unpleasant-without-being-criminal as possible; the idea being that good behaviour can earn you a bunk in "Members Side"- the Ritz Carlton of homeless shelters where life is completely different. (E.g. PCY used to intentionally underfeed and advertised the much better food on Members Side as an incentive for good behaviour)

It is not an exaggeration to say that I am both alive and the person I am today because of Haven for Hope- so many of my most cherished formative experiences occurred in that strange place. I want to try and be very careful here about how I present my experiences and impression of the place. (I especially don't wish to in any way impugn the good work that happens on Members Side or the honest-to-God-saints that have chosen to make H4H the place they work to improve humanity. I owe an indescribable debt to the staff and donors who make the place possible.

At the same time- I would be remiss if I did not discuss the intentionally brutal/dehumanizing conditions in PCY or how ultimately counterproductive they are to the goal of aiding the homeless. And in that vein the attempt to force the homeless of downtown San Antonio into PCY (where they were intentionally underfed and deprived of possessions deemed "excessive") is an untold story that really needs to be brought out into the light.

In order to properly explain any of this through it is going to require quite a bit of explanation and description of the uniwue micro-cultures that exist in Haven for Hope, and I realize that my effortposts style is not the usual for C-SPAM. But I am who I am and I post like I post, I have a great deal to say about some very complicated topics; I will do my very best to keep my words interesting if the this subforum will but indulge my posting habits.

In the next few posts I will describe the layout of Haven for Hope before moving on to a description of the events surrounding its opening and the ouster of its first CEO. From there I will talk about my time/experiences in Haven for Hope, with a particular focus on the micro culture that existed in PCY during my time there and the truly remarkable (experimental) mental health program I participated in during my time in Members side. After that I want to address some of the larger lessons I took from my time at Haven about human nature, and how culture ultimately lies downstream of the necessities of survival.

So I humbly ask dear reader that you please bear with me as I am in many ways just starting to truly process these experiences after five years off the street+housed. Come with me and I will take you into a strange hidden world, a pocket-dimension where agony walks beside ecstasy, where tiny miraculous events manifest in humble little ways, where the very worst of humanity co-exists with the very best of human nature, and where a tiny group of societies forgotten sleep beneath a technicolor concrete sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Prospects Courtyard:

PCY is a very difficult place to understand or envision and I have been wracking my brain on how to even begin describing it. I have decided that these videos are probably the best jumping off point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q75mikSVzVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7SninIcFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DGIv1J1uUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Wgh-kceTA

To set the tone for life in PCY I went and dug up some of the posts I wrote about Haven while I was still a resident there in 2014. As these are very raw takes written when the experiences were still fresh I feel that they do a better job of conveying life than anything I could presently write about it.

quote:

Haven for Hope is really two separate homeless shelters, despite all the programs being housed on the same property. The main division is between the Prospects Courtyard (Hereafter refereed to as PCY because that is what everyone calls it) and the "Transformational Campus", which is generally called simply Members Side. PCY is more akin to what most would expect from a typical homeless shelter. The concept behind PCY is that anyone, in any condition, from any location around the world, can show up at PCY and get 3 meals a day as well as a place to sleep, (almost) no questions asked. Members side is for people whom have qualified for one of the various programs available and is designed to give an individual the tools needed to get a place of their own and never become homeless again. I lived in PCY for about 10 rather hellish weeks, and have lived in Members Side since mid December. I will describe each separately.

PCY is.....hard to describe. It is a place to go to get off the streets, and is marginally better than living on the streets. (However, it is not unheard of for people to use PCY for meals/some of the services and sleep elsewhere). Again, the whole idea of PCY is that anyone in any condition can show up without a shred of documentation and receive food and a place to sleep. They will not turn anyone away. PCY is one of the few homeless shelters in America where it is permitted to be under the influence of drugs/alcohol. As long as you aren't causing a disturbance, the guards and staff won't bother you. However, drugs/alcohol themselves are absolutely not tolerated inside of PCY. As a result of this policy, you get alot of people with serious addictions living in PCY. You also get alot of people with serious mental illness living in PCY.

Living in PCY is rough. Some it is by design, some of it is by necessity, and some of it is because of the nature of the community it attracts. PCY provides 3 meals a day and occasionally an afternoon snack. The meals however, tend to be on the small side, and by the time you receive them, cold. PCY also provides a place to sleep, however the sleeping arrangements are a bit unorthodox. Each evening thick foam mats are passed out and the bulk of the residents sleep outside, on concrete. (PCY is almost entirely concrete, there is no grass anywhere.) Residents with a medical reason sleep inside, but also on mats on concrete. The mats themselves aren't too bad actually, all things considered they are high quality and reasonably comfortable. That is, if you are in reasonable physical health. Secondary "medical mats" are issued to those who need them.

There are a variety of services to residents of PCY that aren't housed directly in PCY but around the block near the entrance to Member Side. There is a medical clinic nearby where you can get a medical checkup, have prescriptions prescribed and filled, and get things like basic blood work done. The clinic is done on a scale relative to your income, so totally free of charge for those like me who have no income at all, or very cheap for those with some form of income. There is a warehouse full of donated clothing. Once every two months a resident of PCY may go to the warehouse and pick out two full outfits (2 pairs of socks, 2 shirts, 2 pants, a belt, a hat, a pair of shoes, etc) There is a dental clinic where a resident of PCY may have one service performed free of charge, and an Eyecare clinic with a similar arrangement. Each resident of PCY is also assigned a caseworker whom has a variety of resources available to them to help you get back on your feet. Each resident of PCY can also receive free weekly (or sometimes twice a week) counseling sessions through a program that connects residents with student interns from the nearby UTSA. There are also a number of programs available to help people with addiction/mental health issues, but I'm really only familiar with the mental health programs.

As far as what life inside of PCY is like, its rough. There is no sugar coating it. Security is heavy, and for good reason.You have to pass through a metal detector every time you enter and your bags will be searched. This is because fights are very, very common in PCY. Most are just verbal shouting matches, but many often escalate into physical confrontations. When you are in PCY you are distinctly aware that you are surrounded by people who will not hesitate to strike you given the slightest provocation. Despite the fact that the guards usually break these up within thirty seconds, they are a near daily part of the environment. (One thing I want to note here is that I have often been impressed with the restraint shown by the guards when they are subduing someone.) There is also every shade of mental illness imaginable, from people who just want to talk about conspiracy theories to people who are literally arguing with invisible demons.

Getting anything done in PCY is often frustrating and time consuming. You aren't permitted to have any form of medication in your possession, so you have to turn it in at the guard shack. Three times a day the medical area opens up to distribute meds, with guards watching you to make sure you aren't pocketing any of your own pills. It typically takes a half hour to get through the line for every meal. The restrooms and showers have only the barest considerations for privacy, and despite being literally pressure washed three times a day, are often pretty disgusting. Getting your laundry done is an all day affair. Laundry service starts at 8:00am, but the list for getting your laundry done opens up at 4:00 am, and is usually full by 6:00 am. So if you want to get laundry done, you wake up real early to get on the list, and then hang around all day waiting for your name to get called. It eats up a day unless you are one of the very first on the list. On the whole its a depressing place, and living there can eat at you.

It does however, most of the time, beat living on the streets.

quote:

During the Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) PCY has a ton of extra people residing in it. It gets packed. On the plus side during the holidays, its really easy to get plenty of food. In addition to all the extra feedings, there are a ton of smaller groups/families that cook up a bunch of food, park in front of PCY, and pass it out till its gone.(Its gone fast) Its a good experience for all, the usual sight is a family SUV that rolls up with about 100 prepared meals in styrofaom containers. Usually the food is pretty awesome, and very welcome. However, one of these trucks giving out food was either run by a sociopath or just had lovely cleaning standards. It was tacos, I remember distinctly because I was one of the people from this particular truck.

That night around midnight people started getting ill. A TON of people started getting ill. Like, 100 people or so were getting violently ill. There were people vomiting everywhere. People were rushing to the bathroom, or the nearest trashcan, or sometimes just standing over the storm drain and puking directly in it. Most people made it somewhere, but as the night wore plenty either didn't make it, or were too exhausted from constant heaving to move. Diarrhea was also part of this sickness outbreak, and when there weren't enough toilets available in the bathroom, people either improvised or they poo poo themselves. It was disgusting, and the messes were appearing faster than they could be cleaned up. I was lucky in that I was one of the first to get sick and got my puking out of the way early. So by the time things were getting really bad I was down to the dry heaves. (The stress however caused me to go psychotic and I started hallucinating badly, but that is a story for another time.)

By the time the sun came up, there was vomit all over the courtyard. The whole place reeked. There were spots all over from people not making it, various people had been awoken in the middle of the night from getting puked on, every trashcan had gallons of puke in it. The aroma wafting up from the stormdrain was indescribable. But that was nothing compared to what awaited me in the mens room.

There was vomit and poo poo just loving everywhere. On the toilets, in the urinals, dried on the walls, in mixed puddles on the floors. It was inches deep in some parts of the restroom. It was hard to walk without stepping in it. There was not one single fixture out of 30 or so that was anything like useable, and people were still getting sick. The stench was just overwhelming. If my stomach hadn't already been empty I'd have probably vomited just from walking in there.

Somehow though, the staff got it cleaned up and life was back to normal within about 3 hours. I don't think the staff at PCY gets enough credit for what they deal with at times.

quote:

Prospects live in "Prospects Courtyard" and it is....... very different from Members Side. "PCY" as it is known by is a place where anyone can show up with nothing and receive at least some food, some basic medical care, access to showers, and a mat to sleep on at night. (And not very loving much else) PCY is a place that after spending 45 minutes trying to write this paragraph I have simply concluded is just impossible to summarize; for I fear that in the attempt to do so it would seem as if I was either ungrateful for the aid I received or that the facility is badly run. Neither of those things are true of course, I am grateful beyond my ability to express in words for the aid I received while I was in PCY and honest to God the staff is running the place better than could be reasonably asked for. But there is no getting around the fact that the place is immensely unpleasant in a wide variety of ways that most readers will find quite novel to read about because it is simply so beyond their experiences. (I once for example saw someone buy a blowjob for 4 cigarettes)

PCY is a hellish mishmash of the absolute best and worst aspects of humanity metaphorically and literally puking all over themselves while begging invisible demons to relent their ceaseless torment. It is a place where people who are just legally sane enough to refuse treatment/forced commitment spend all day babbling, or worse. It is where San Antonio houses all their pedophiles and rapists that they don't know what else to do with. It is where everyone who exits the 10,000 resident County Jail down the street and has nowhere else to go winds up. (Parole Officers are regularly in the facility for a wide variety of reasons) It is where every conceivable variation of dysfunctional addict goes to either hit rock bottom or die from their addiction. It is where people who don't even know what State they were born in wind up because they have never in their lives been able to obtain legal ID's. Every variant of conman, manipulator, predator, pickpocket, murderer, and unrepentant psychopath can be found here and in good abundance. People with uncontrollable Tourette Syndrome start making sounds you would not have thought possible to be created with the human voice, and this in turns triggers a woman with multiple personalities to begin arguing with what she perceives as the disrespectful pattern in these strange noises, and that in turn causes a schizophrenic to begin loudly prophesying as if they were a televangelist working an excited crowd. It is a place where the threat of violence is very real and omnipresent. 110 pound Iraq Vets hospitalize security guards during flashbacks and brawls happen at least a half-dozen times a day.

quote:

Part of the motivation for the Haven for Hope is to give the homeless population of San Antonio somewhere other than the Riverwalk to be all day while as many of them are transferred into long term housing as possible. The idea behind preventing much of the other programs from operating wherever/forcing them to operate through Haven of Hope was to drive the homeless population of San Antonio to have to rely on the Haven for services and therefor get more of them enrolled in the various programs that help people get off the streets.When I was still using homeless services in San Antonio it was well known that this this policy was being very selectively enforced and was being quietly pulled back on. (One of the better Sunday feedings took place in a police impound lot that they looked the other way for a group that made a 2 hour road trip every week to feed us.) Part of the motivation for pulling back came from learning the hard way that there is a certain percentage of the homeless population who will simply resort to crime rather than either live in or relocate their tent somewhere nearby the Haven. Removing enough feedings within a certain are,a and petty theft/shoplifting/panhandling would shoot through the roof.

Another unexpected development Haven learned the hard way (and really there is no way they could have forseen this, so much of what they do and the scale they are doing it at is is completely experimental) is a disproportionate portion of the homeless people you can easily force to relocate by cutting services are the ones you wish would stay well the gently caress away from everyone else. There was a real problem with a certain class of predatory homeless people that had been lifetime banned from Haven but still spent most of their time hanging out in the general vicinity of the campus. They often formed gangs and handled much of the drug trafficking that went through PCY. They had connections to the local prison gangs (The Country Jail of 10k inmates is literally 1 block down the road from PCY) In exchange they had friends who had not been kicked out who would bring them food/whatever was available from within PCY, often in exchange for small quantities of very very very lovely drugs.

Let me stress that this particular group was several hundred strong and spread out in inconsistent cluster in an area approximately a mile radius out from Haven. Some of these individuals were the worst of the worst the human race has to offer, the very meanest and most unpredictable motherfuckers I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. (I once had a ringleader of one of these groups shout out to me "If there weren't 6 of you with her right now I would be raping that bitch" in reference to a young homeless woman who was traveling with my group to a feeding. He was not making a joke and it was not an idle threat.) Their camps and the areas around them were considered to be very dangerous and not to be ventured into unless you had a loving good reason and had brought some (preferably well connected) friends. There was a woman I knew who was a heroin addict and in the midst of withdrawals decided to chance going into one of those areas (several wooded copses interweaving some highway overpasses) at 4 in the morning hoping to score. A gang caught her and gangraped her. She spent thirty minutes in shock before she managed to collect herself enough to get moving. Another gang caught her and gangraped her. Fortunately the police found her shortly thereafter (wandering in a daze naked and apparently threatening to jump off a bridge) and she survived.

Figuring out how to either drive away or disperse that particular crowd without giving the Haven such a bad rep that it made it hard to get more homeless people to willingly enter it was an ongoing learning process while I was there. The solution the police seemed to have hit upon was to selectively break up the homeless camping locations that became populated by that particular crowd.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sorry for the long pause in updates, working on a big ole effortpost. In the meantime please enjoy this thing I wrote for my other thread about a person I knew while I was in Haven:

Prester Jane posted:

I've been working on an effortpost that is somewhat related to this present discussion, but today I wanted to jump in here and share some anecdotes about a psychopath I was in a residential treatment program with. We will call this individual "Bill".

A quick explanation of the program/place I met Bill. It was a large homeless shelter in San Antonio called "Haven for Hope", specifically Bill and I were in an (experimental) residential mental health treatment program (In House Wellness Program)in a section of the Haven campus called "Members Side". In order to be admitted into this program you had to be able to document/prove both chronic homelessness as well as a formal diagnosis of mental illness. As a result of this (and a few other factors) the average resident of this facility was (by mentally ill homeless person standards) unusually high functioning and self aware.

It was in IHWP that I met Bill. Bill was a formally diagnosed psychopath, but that was not his primary diagnosis. He had a condition called Dysthymia that resulted in him often being asleep/unconscious for around 15-18 hours a day. In addition to this Bill also had a severe back injury from a rodeo accident (he had a rather brief career as a cowboy) that frequently caused him severe pain, however Bill refused to take opioid painkillers because he feared becoming an addict; as a result of these factors if Bill was awake for 6 hours in a given day he probably spent 2 of those hours staring blankly at a wall while rocking back and forth, trying to disassociate from the pain.

Bill was an interesting guy and while he was in treatment he made a genuine effort to try and understand how his mind differed from others, it was from my friendship with Bill and the many conversations we had during this time that I have come to form my own impressions of what a psychopath is.

One frequent topic between the two of us was our attempts to explain our inner worlds to each other- a schizophrenic trying to explain schizophrenia to a psychopath and vice versa. During one of these conversations Bill asked me to list, in a very detailed way, all the necessary steps to walk out ones front door and start their car. After I rattled off as detailed a list as I could come up Bill put his hand up and asked me "Now at any moment did it matter whether or not the keys wanted to come off the hook? Would it have mattered?"

Based on my comments such as these I believe it would be somewhat inaccurate to say that Bill saw people as objects or tools- rather I believe that (when it came to pursuing a defined objective) Bill's brain did not instinctively make the distinction between tools and people. This manifested in a wide variety of ways, from Bill genuinely not understanding why manipulative behaviors were a bad thing ("why wouldn't you tell someone what you know they want to hear if it will get you what you want?") to Bill intuitively keeping detailed internal notes and observations about the behaviors of the people around him*.

*Mind you most people bored the living poo poo out of Bill and he was terrible with faces/names, but he was the first one to note the slight change in behavior when a staff member developed an addiction (he also correctly diagnosed exactly which drug the staff member was abusing)

One idea that Bill talked about constantly in our conversations was what he called "consequence". He was quite fond of launching into detailed explanations with the phrase "My Mother taught me consequence". What he meant by this was that his behavior was dictated/limited more-or-less by his expectations of what the outcome or "consequence" of a given action was. (e.g. Bill didn't hurt people or steal because if he did he would eventually get caught and the consequence would be jail time.)

There was a specific incident that really drove home what consequence meant to Bill. All members of the IHWP program were expected to maintain "medication compliance" (you took your meds 4x daily in front of a staff member who made a note of every pill you took) and to attend three "classes" (group therapy sessions really) per day. On paper both of these requirements were mandatory and strongly enforced, in practice however only medication compliance was strictly enforced. As long as you always took your meds you could blow off classes every single ady and they would not kick you out of the program. (There were many tangible benefits to being in the program, but that is a discussion for another post.)

When Bill first entered the program his class attendance was perfect. However- while discussing his concept of "consequence" in class one day he made a comment that amounted to "the only reason I attend these classes is because the consequence of not attending is being kicked out of the program". After this class ended another resident explained to Bill that as long as he took his meds he would not be kicked out.

Bill spent about 20 minutes going around the dorm confirming this with several other residents- and he never attended another class again.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I'm just posting to say "So long and thanks for all the fish". I am not gonna autoban because I need too much of the material I have posted in my various threads- however I do not intend to post anymore on these here forums. I am going to be relocating all of my threads over to Bread and Roses, and I heartily encourage anyone who has enjoyed my content to register and give the place a spin: https://breadnroses.club/register/

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Jan 23, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the offsite is off to a great start by making a bunch of sex pests mods lol