Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Outrail posted:

I don't mind picking at old scabs if you want to tell their story of woe.

Also, based off of what we can from the girls' research. Is there a way for us to steal the magical might from another mage? You know, for greedy and selfish reasons.

Yes! It's possible, but the exact how was destroyed.

This was in my head, an idea of self reflection and asking how Gerald feels about everything that's happened so far, like meditation or whatever,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Ask yourself if there was anything you could have done differently to keep them alive. (But only if its going to cathartic, he needs to heal obviously)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Gerald bit the tip of his thumb, and rubbed it on the tomb stones. He rubbed the bleeding digit on the stone, feeling it’s cold hard exterior. He sighed and sat down as the blood glowed, and from it there was smoke, it swirled around in the air before taking shape and sitting next to gerald, slowly the smoke changed colors, until it formed… Her.

She was wearing the same thing she was when she passed, and from her more smoke raised, until another figure was sitting next to them both.

“Gerald,” she was irritated at him, her voice was pointed and pierced him like daggers. Hearing her voice was like jamming a salted lemon in an open wound, and he gasped. “I know…” He was more gentle, but he was firm. “We don’t want to talk to you, I don’t get why you still don’t get that?” Gerald sighed, “I know. I just wanted to see you again. “ Gerald mouthed out some mealy excuse, a reason, a thought? Nothing came out he just sat there gaping, while the two waited, in silence, staring at him.

“I’m sorry,” he said, she snorted.

“Oh he’s sorry, did you hear that Zane, he’s sorry.”

Zane rolled his eyes, “OH well all’s forgiven then, we’ll just accompany you back to your flat an- Wait a second.”

Ciara snapped, “We can’t, because we’re loving dead Gerald. Get it through your thick skull. We’re dead, gone, and there’s not a single thing you could do about it.”

“I just wanted to hear your voice again I…”

Zane tried to pick up a rock and throw it at Gerald, but his hand just phased through the ground, Gerald still flinched as though he had been hit. “You should have thought about that before you killed us.”

Gerald tried to defend himself, “You knew the risks I… You knew what could have happened.”

Ciara, “You gave us the wrong runes Gerald, you changed our circles so that we weren’t protected like you were.”

Zane chimed in, “Neither of us were mages, we didn’t know. You knew the risks, you wanted to make sure you were safe. You knew the ritual might need a blood sacrifice, and you made a unilateral decision, without even telling us mind you, that if you needed bodies for your ‘power boost’ you’d get them from us.”

“I just wanted to get stronger, I didn’t....”

Ciara was practically yelling now. “You intentionally sabotaged our circles for a sacrifice! You don’t get to pretend like you were thirsty for anything but more power! The only reason the spell even worked is because you were willing to sacrifice the two things you loved most! When did you decide to murder us Gerald?! How long were you sitting with us playing board games, laughing, loving, cooking dinner, sleeping. Was it all just preparation for your ultimate sacrifice?! Well guess what, you’re super strong now, probably the most powerful wizard in the last 100 years! Was it worth it!”

“I’m gonna find a way to bring you back, it was one bad decision, I can make this up to you. I can bring you back, I can make you mages.”

Zane laughed, “You don’t get it, even if you brought us back, even if you figured out how to re-make us, we’d balk at what you would have sacrificed to get there. You can’t bring us back, even now we’re not really back.”

Tears welled up in Gerald’s eyes. “Yes you are this is real.”

Ciara stood up and got as close to Gerald’s face as she could, he swore he could still smell her perfume as she leaned in. “Get this through your sick loving head. We are not ghosts. This is a spell you cast, an illusion, something you made up. Everything we say, we do, is just based on memories you had of them. You know what you did. We know what you did, and we would never. Never ever. Never ever ever want to come back to you? Do you get that? DO you understand Gerald? We don’t want to come back. We don’t want to be with you. You sacrificed us, you got greedy and you gave it all up and now you want to undo it?”

Zane's tone was gentle, “Gerald, find someone else. Find something else. Leave us be... Please.”

Ciara flicked him off and walked away, Zane tried to put his hand on Gerald’s shoulder, Gerald didn’t feel a thing. Then Zane too left.

A.) Summon them again
B.) No really, summon them again, you can explain
C.) Please, just summon them again.
D.) Just loving go home Gerald jesus.
E.) Go home and study Gerald
F.) Go home and spend time with Damocles
G.) Go home and find some work
H.) Try one more time to summon them, for real, no illusions

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

H this is a really really really really really bad idea

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We should sacrifice a few more people. Get even stronger.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm not sure that's my takeaway, Outrail.

F.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Damnit Gerald.

Let's see what H does

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
TW: It gets a little serial killer-y and there's a more graphic depiction of violence then normal SCAB.

H.) gently caress it, let’s do this again.

Gerald slammed the grass where their empty coffins laid and screamed. He kept pounding over and over again, letting his frustrations out on the soft earth, the grass matted and wilted from where he kneeled. He stood up after 15 minutes, crying and reached into his jacket for his cellphone, he called Damocles.,

“Damocles,” He said, trying to hide his sobs, “Damocles I need you to do me a favor, take Hella, and leave the motel room for like, a day or so, I’ll pay to put you up in a different room or a hotel or a spa, but I’m trying a ritual tonight that’s a bit dangerous, and I don’t want you too around.”

Damocles hesitated, “Are you alright Gerald what happened you sound… Raw.”

Gerald grit his teeth, and took a few breaths trying to calm himself, “Yeah I’m fine, really, it’s just been a rough night.”

Damocles wouldn’t let up, “Gerald are you sure, you can talk with me about stuff. I know we haven’t really talked about anything serious since we met, but if you need someone. I’m here.”

Gerald let out a bitter laugh, “Yeah sure Damocles, I’m fine really. I accidentally hurt myself when I called you, nothing serious just a stubbed toe.”

“Ok… I guess… I’m taking Hella and I’m leaving now.”

poo poo he knows I’m lying doesn’t he. Gerald thought to himself, as Damocles hung up. Forget it, they’ll love to meet him, everything will go fine. You’ve studied, you know what went wrong last time, your license, your home. They weren’t enough because even though you care about them, they’re not equivalent to a human life. Gerald gasped for air a bit as he stepped into his car, closing the door gently. He turned the key, and drove off. I’m not a monster he thought to himself, It won’t be anyone who doesn’t already deserve it. I’ll be careful. They’ll understand.

He pulled out his phone and pulled up a site that collected where crimes had been reported, and set his GPS to a large angry cluster. On his tiny phone screen it almost looked like his phone had a festering sore. “No-one who doesn’t already deserve it,” he said to himself as he made the short drive. His heart was racing, This time will be different, I’ll be giving up something important, something… Equivalent.

He stepped out of the car, and tapped himself with his wand, funds flew out of his wallet, and his clothes shifted. He wore a sharp suit, his hair became carefully coiffed and a gold chain led from his pocket to his belt, in his top coat pocket, instead of a handkerchief, he folded up a $100 bill. He looked around the alley he had parked in, and went for a walk. He gently sang to himself as he walked.

Go to sleep little baeb
Go to sleep little baeb
Your mama’s gone away and your daddy gonna stay
Didn’t leave nobody but the baeb.

Go to sleep little baeb
Go to sleep little baeb
You and me and the devil makes three
Don’t need no other lovin but the baeb

Go to sleep little baeb
Go to sleep little baeb
Come on lay your bones on the alabaster stones
And be my ever lovin baeb.

He kept walking, he walked down every dark alley he could find, he’d pass out money to the homeless people he passed, giving them each a $20 or even $100 making sure to show plenty of cash each time. He walked down an alley that was walled off, with nothing but a brick wall between him, the homeless person, and the opening to the main street.

“Hey you!” someone cried out to him, the homeless person looked up at the end of the alley, he grabbed his cart and quickly threw his things into it, leaving the alley as quickly as possible, the long dark shadows let him past. “Heard you’re running a charity.” The tallest one yelled, “Can I have some money? All of it.” He held a gun in his hands and pointed it at Gerald. Gerald reached for his pocket where his wand is. “I’m not so sure I’m inclined to give up my wealth at gun point.”

“Well too bad, I’m not really asking,” The other two figures flanking him walked down the alley as well. Approaching, Gerald tried not to take note of their faces, who they were was irrelevant to what would happen next. Gerald quickly grabbed his wand, and jabbed it at the stone work, money quickly flying out of his wallet as he did so, a stone fist pulled out of the wall and grabbed the man with the gun, crushing both the metal and his fingers. Gerald leapt forward grabbing the closest man’s head and brought it down hard, he felt a disquieting crunch as his nose connected with Gerald’s knee. The man with the gun started screaming, and Gerald grabbed his wand and tapped the wall again, encasing the third man entirely in stone. He walked up to the man with the gun, who was pulling his arm at the stone wall, angrily trying to get his hand free.

Gerald struck him in the head. The man was still screaming, so Gerald punched him again, and again, bruises showing up on the man’s face, again he struck, and again. Finally, after what seemed like hours, but was likely only a few minutes, he was unconscious. He jabbed the stone again, and it let go of him. Gerald collected the unconscious bodies and filled his car trunk with all 3. He tied up their hands and feet, and put duct tape around their mouths. Gerald drove to his motel room, he flipped the beds, and the mattresses, pushing them sideways giving him more of the faux wood floor. He dragged the unconscious bodies in. Gerald dabbed his wand into the bleeding man’s crushed hand and pulled a thin stream of blood from it. With that he drew runes on the walls, ceiling, and floor. He quickly cast a spell to keep the men unconscious until it was time. Gerald opened his own finger, and marked his own face with arcane markings.

The room started to glow, as Gerald bit his finger and started the ritual, placing his bloody thumbprint in the center. The runes all around started to glow, and the people in the center started to scream as their bodies excreted black smoke from every pore. Gerald continued, and soon the room started to shift. Flashing like a broken lightbulb one moment he was in the rundown hotel room covered in runes, and the next moment it shifted into a black void with a white door. The door was made of stone, and had a golden aura that pierced the darkness. Gerald ran his fingers over the door, he could see it in both versions of the room now. The door opened, and he saw two shapes, the ones he had been looking for, but they couldn’t get out, their black forms being grasped by white hands, covering them. Gerald reached but he couldn’t quite get them. The spells in the room wore off, his clothes were stripped to the normal green coat he wore, the chain wallet non-existent.

The men he had kidnapped started to scream in terror and tried to get up but couldn’t as they were bound by their legs and hands. They inched across the ground towards the door, but Gerald quickly stood over them, picking the first one up with a great deal of effort, and hurled him into the doorway a few hands let go of the silhouettes, the ones he was so sure were his wife and husband. The hands that let go started to peel at the skin of the first man thrown in. Gerald could see the muscle underneath as the hands tore him open, his hair being pulled to reveal scalp, then brain, then nothingness.

Gerald grabbed the second body and threw it in, a few more hands released the silhouettes. This one too was magically deconstructed into nothingness, the silhouettes were closer to the door, the white hands were greedily grasping out into the darkness. Gerald picked up the third person and threw him in as well. Almost all of the hands were off of them. He could see it now, he could pull them in.

The door to the hotel room burst open, and suddenly Damocles was in there, in the void with Gerald, “Stop! Gerald, this doesn’t do what you think it does. What you’re trying to do is literally impossible. You’re going to die if you continue.”

A.) Reach for them, pull them into our world
B.) Throw Damocles into the door
C.) Stop this, it has gone too far.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 28, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

"I know."

A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Better to die trying to save them

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Cgently caress, what're we doing?!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think we're making good decisions.

A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C Well this got out of hand.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Trigger Warning: Suicide

Gerald reached in and Damocles screamed “No!” the figures in the doorway smiled greedily, and as their grins grew wider and wider, twisted arms and fingers spilled out of their mouths like worms. Their mouths started to open as more and more arms spilled ou, tearing at Gerald’s flesh. He could feel his skin being rendered from his muscle, his muscle being torn from his bone. Damocles held onto his leg as the arms pulled Gerald in, the hands started to climb up Geralds back and reached for Damocles, Gerald kicked him hard in the chest, Damocles fell back. Gerald could feel his being being torn into billions upon billions of individual atoms, each one being torn from the last quickly. Yet he could watch, he could see his body being torn apart, he could see the greedy hands, he could see beyond the door and what would be. There was a bright flash of light, and then he was gone. The last thing being the clothes he was wearing being dropped on the floor like the discarded husk of a snake.

Damocles was unbound once again, and his eyes filled with tears. Hella, a much lower demon than him was already starting to fade, he reached for her, and tried to hold her close, but the dog was still, He looked around the room, and he kicked the bag of what remained of Geralds things, he rummaged around for the safe key, but couldn’t find it, he couldn’t think, he panicked picked up Geralds wand and used it to open Gerald’s safe. Inside was a bag of money, and he dragged Hella’s still body to the money. She wasn’t moving, he grabbed a wad of cash and sat it on Hella’s fiery tongue, it lolled out of her head uselessly. The essence of her being was pulled back to the demonic plane the nothingness where everything began. Soon there was nothing left of her, just a wet layer of diesel smelling saliva on Damocles arm where her wet tongue had touched him.

He started to yell angrily, he screamed as loud as he could and squatted on his knees. He had loved and lost before, but each time it was painful, like his own heart being ripped out and stamped on. The leadened feeling in his stomach as he realized that again, someone was gone, they would never be back, that wherever these people went when they died, he would never be able to see. That it was his lot in life to be the immortal to watch people’s lives come and go, but never knowing the true peace of death.

Damocles took the bag of money and pulled up Gerald’s phone. He found the address he was looking for. He drove across the city, quietly, brooding, his eyes were puffy and red, and he felt truly alone. There was nothing left for him, there was always a point where there was nothing left for him, but so rarely was it this soon. He was still getting to know who Gerald was, the kind of man that he would be. There was so much potential in that life. And a wizard to boot, he could have lived almost as long as Damocles with the right magic, and he threw it all away. He never mentioned that he was sad, he had seemed to be able to cope with whatever loss had gripped him. He walked up to the door and rang the doorbell, left the bag of money on the porch, and got back in his car, waiting to make sure it got picked up.

A young woman, the one that he’d seen on TV so many times since he took his previous body, looked both ways wearily, before opening up the bag and gasping. She took the bag inside, and Damocles left. He walked away, and a homeless person asked him for money, Damocles dropped Gerald’s car keys into the cup and the homeless man was speechless, Damocles just pointed to the car and walked away.

Damocles cleaned the walls, put the beds and furniture back where it went, laid back on the bed and waited. Fading took a while for powerful demons, but he was willing it faster. At first it was like a light tug on his being, someone pulling his shirt, a cat pawing his hand, tiny physical sensations that guided his essence back where it belonged. He focussed on it and willed it harder, the pull increased someone yanking his leg. His clothes being blown by unseen winds, whipping angrily around his body. Harder he focussed, and soon he could fill his being spill away into nothingness, until he too was gone.

Majesty Ambrosia never looked for Gerald again, her daughter and her daughter’s lover were turned into incredibly strong mages, and received the best therapy and treatment for their late onset psychopathy. With help from the mental healthcare system, and Majesty Ambrosia’s guiding hand they were able to get back on their feet. Their research started up again, but they found more humane ways to transfer magic. They found that it was easy to pull a little magic out of a wizard, like a seed, and share it with someone. It was incredibly expensive, but soon all of the rich and wealthy could become powerful mages.

Emmet eventually learned that Gerald didn’t kill those two women like he had said they did, but they were both too famous, and too powerful for Emmet to go against. His connections in the underworld were used to try and make their lives as miserable as possible, and it started a blood feud that ended with Emmet’s Death, the death of the majority of his crew, (except the Reaper who escaped to Guadelajara,) and the singing sorcerer being burnt to the ground.

This is the end, I loved creating this project with you, and hope you follow me on the next thing I create. Gerald's suicide was sudden tragic, and voted on by the group. I will never shy away from killing off characters, or ending my projects if the group votes for it, especially if they're not sure it's the end. If there are any questions about the epilogue, please ask them as it'll be the last time I will be interacting with this (but not with this world.) I do not enjoy writing big sprawling epics, and prefer tighter shorter stories. Hopefully you enjoyed this just as much as I did. Please if you enjoyed this, tell me in thread, via PM, or on the CYOA discord https://discord.gg/uwUYXeE
, ultimately, I do this all for you!

It's your fault these creations exist ;)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

vorebane posted:

Damnit Gerald.

Let's see what H does

This ends the campaign

This was a fun read Boba.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

That was a great story, nice epilogue to boot, thanks for that. I'd like to think Damo went through every level of hell on his way back home but stopped on a certain lvl a little longer than normal and picked up a very good hellhound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Bravo. Thank you.