Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

mellonbread posted:

Logs and other debris floating down a river. Everyone fighting atop the floating objects has to continually run upstream to avoid being swept over a huge waterfall at the end

Yeah! Spy Hunter maps rule, Gorkamorka was "all terrain pieces and all units except one which is using its boost move 6 inches towards the bottom of the table" to simulate the infinitely scrolling road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I had a group walking through a waist-deep swamp once and a sinkhole opened up behind them, they had to "run" six zones to escape the pull while dodging everything being sucked back into the sinkhole. One character didn't make it and the decision was to grab a broken log and use the Apollo 13 method to slingshot out of the sinkhole by using another character's fire-gauntlet as a rocket booster. Was honestly one of the coolest terrain-based things I'd ever done.

Don't forget verticality! Having two (or more) tiers of ground, using ladders, shafts, and slides for traversal and breaking enemy line of sight.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You know a 2D platforming map would be a good idea for a TRPG. Roll athletics to jump over the barrels that the Dire Gorilla is hurling at you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Emotional terrain. This area makes you feel really sad, this area makes you elated, this one makes you pensive, that one makes you maudlin. (Maybe give bonuses to players who roleplay the emotion they're feeling? Maybe you can try to resist? Maybe you can manipulate enemies into giving up if you can shift enough of them into the right emotional states?)

Charismatic terrain. Whoever stands at the podium is super persuasive for a round; whoever takes the spotlight on the stage gets a boost to drawing attention; characters in the balcony get to make jokes that always land perfectly.

Giant game of chess in progress terrain. Every round, a black or white piece magically moves, alternating colors, as unseen players take their moves. Pieces are cover and blocking terrain, knights jump over you but other pieces shove you out of the way, when one piece takes another if you're in that square you get taken too, if you're next to the king when it gets checkmated you may be crushed as it falls over.

Slime battle terrain. Two or more opposing factions of slimes are in a pitched battle in this room. They ignore PCs and their foes even if damaged, focusing relentlessly on attacking and defending one another... but some of them can melt your feet, some freeze them, some emit choking clouds, etc.

Haywire robotic factory terrain. Just bust out your copy of Robo Rally, drop some robots onto the board, give them some upgrades, and deal out move cards. Maybe if a PC can get to a control panel, they can see & rearrange one or more robots' cards? But so can the enemies! Remember, the robots fire a laser directly forwards every round.

Underwater fight at a volcanic vent. Certain areas of water are superheated well above normal boiling temps (pressure keeps the water liquid), others are frigid. Exotic extremophiles populate the map.

Library rules fight. The Librarian (or whatever) will severely punish those who make noise, or damage books; otherwise, anything goes. Can you defeat the enemy silently? There's stacks of books and shelves, tables, rolly chairs, scroll caddies, info terminals, irritable students, etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm really excited about this so I'm going to cross-post it from the Strike thread:

A friend of mine has been working on a Foundry mod for Strike!, and he was recently able to get it in a state where he feels comfortable sharing it publicly. Current features:

- Full character sheets with separate pages for tactical and non-combat information:

- Non-automated macros you can either put on your hotbar or activate from your character sheet.

- In-game glossary with descriptions of all major terms and status, which you can access by mousing over or clicking any relevant term.

- A few other bits I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you can please try it out, either for running a game/one-shot or just to poke around on your own, we'd love any feedback. The main thing missing is automated macro support, specifically automatically assigning damage/status changes to tokens based on your rolls. This is pretty difficult in Strike due to the amount of post-roll decision making in some cases, the most obvious instances being things like rolling a 3 and needing to choose damage or effect, but also things like whether to slide/slow from Control Boost and a bunch of other powers. But we have some ideas so hopefully in the future it'll be working!

If you have a Foundry account you can try it yourself by just going to "Game Systems" and clicking "Install System", then pasting this link:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gulbanana/fmmua/master/src/system.json

You can also find the github here: https://github.com/gulbanana/fmmua/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

If you can please try it out, either for running a game/one-shot or just to poke around on your own, we'd love any feedback. The main thing missing is automated macro support, specifically automatically assigning damage/status changes to tokens based on your rolls. This is pretty difficult in Strike due to the amount of post-roll decision making in some cases, the most obvious instances being things like rolling a 3 and needing to choose damage or effect, but also things like whether to slide/slow from Control Boost and a bunch of other powers. But we have some ideas so hopefully in the future it'll be working!

It might be worth looking at the Pathfinder 2e module for how it handles this - it also doesn't automatically assign anything due to reactions, so the macros actually pop up a menu of quick applications for a damage result with the various permutations (apply damage to target, apply half or double, etc), allowing the player to click to confirm damage and apply it once it's good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah that's sorta what we're thinking, I'll definitely give it a look though if not just for some UI ideas

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Boba Pearl posted:

Tell me your coolest terrain ideas, they can be more then just difficult terrain, but like pain terrain, stun terrain, heal terrain, any kind of terrain really that makes cool encounters? I think this is general enough that even games with no push/slide/shift mechanic could benefit from varying up the battlefield in little ways.

I have one encounter I really want to revisit because the implementation was a hot mess:

Every turn parts of the battlefield got swallowed by darkness. A lot of enemy tactics revolved around pushing/shoving/moving the players around and into these shadows. Whoever fell into them got sucked into a shadow/mirror version of the battlefield and the fight would from then on continue on two fronts.

There was a duality to the objectives/enemies in the way that some things could only be achieved on one side of the encounter. Players could in turn try to push "material" enemies into the shadow realm and vice versa for debilitating debuffs/interesting happenings.

In the end it was a race between either getting all players back to the material plane OR all players into the shadow/mirror realm OR have the party temporarily split up. The ones on the shadow side would have tagged along and help as invisible specters for a while, being able to see into the material world but not the other way around and only able to communicate through dreams and such at first.

It was hugely ambitious for me as a really novice GM and never really worked out as well as I hoped it would.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Back in April 2014 I made a tiny game for a design contest here on SA (which it won... uh, along with 3 others), and I decided to slightly pretty it up and develop it a little more to publish as a PWYW mini-zine game on itch. It's a map-game and end-game and map-ending game about quietly-doomed space colonists on an alien world, partly inspired by The Quiet Year:

quote:

You are colonists on an alien planet.

The End is coming.

You know it’s coming, and you know there’s no way to escape, but you still have some time left to do what you will. To experience the world, preserve what you can, reflect on your past, build for the future, and answer whatever questions remain.
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1344415588026896384

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Happy new year, ya goddamn nerds!

But if you're gonna celebrate, just remember: 2020 didn't leave a body.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Anyone know anything about the recent Dune card/board game? I'm a sucker for Dune.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That Old Tree posted:

Anyone know anything about the recent Dune card/board game? I'm a sucker for Dune.

The recent Dune game that's a reissue of the old one is really fun. It especially feels like between the alternate win conditions per house and ability to slowly rebuild even from complete board wipes like you're never really stuck just being a kingmaker. The biggest flaw is the box doesn't have a good teachable packet for the rules to get started, and spreads stuff between the individual faction cards, main rulebook, and a mix of an intro to play and board setup guide that seemed like an awkward mix of an intro and demo but doesn't quite cover enough of the rules or what's going on to know what to do where it leaves off.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's the stuff that worked well in the GoT boardgame but done even better, and while incredibly asymmetrical it doesn't feel like some factions are as screwed over. Once again, because of those alternative win conditions. The ability to mechanically have teams form and dissolve at certain points also helps a lot since you don't reach those stalemates and snowballing. Especially since sandstorms are constantly wiping units off the map.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you like boardgames and you like Dune then you'll probably like Dune the Boardgame. There are a lot of things wrong with it -- it is random and unfair, it has fiddly 1979 mechanics, it is not particularly balanced -- but it really nails feeling like Dune. The factions play like their book counterparts, with appropriate goals and mechanics. The formal-but-shifting alliances are also a very good mechanic that feels extremely true to the setting, and make up for a lot of the aforementioned sins as players who get bullied in the early game can always make a comeback.

I admit I haven't played the reissue but I watched Matt Colville and co play it when it popped up in my youtube recommendations a year back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_WINTqtjo
Might be a good video to get a feel for things if you've got the time.

One warning is that you shouldn't play Dune with the sort of person who hates losing to events beyond their control. It's not uncommon to have one player kicked clean off the planet on turn 1 as their best commander turns traitor and their second-best commander gets poisoned before the climactic battle. This isn't fatal, but it's a type of fundamentally unfair randomness that makes some people extremely salty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

I've only played Dune Imperium twice but it's a lot of fun. It's much more interactive than a lot of Eurogames. There really do feel like multiple ways to victory and it does reward careful consideration while playing. I really dig it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xerophyte posted:

One warning is that you shouldn't play Dune with the sort of person who hates losing to events beyond their control. It's not uncommon to have one player kicked clean off the planet on turn 1 as their best commander turns traitor and their second-best commander gets poisoned before the climactic battle. This isn't fatal, but it's a type of fundamentally unfair randomness that makes some people extremely salty.

Yeah, we had the perfect wombo combo of family atomica random event and sandstorm movement completely board wipe two houses which had the primary advantage of "lots of dudes on the map, start in control of territories protected by the (now destroyed) great barrier. It made one just get up and rage quit. We had to coax him back to the table, but he stopped caring after that. The other guy meanwhile recovered enough to nearly win before we had to just stop because it got late.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 2, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The dude who rage quit because 'it's impossible for me to win now' couldn't be convinced he should still play, even as I pointed out there was a faction with a starting board state roughly equivalent to his current position. The other reason why it was important to get him to stay is the game is balanced around an economy of factions 'taxing' others for basic actions, and feels a little like Small World in terms of board space, so someone just getting up throws off the real estate balance.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

Happy new year, ya goddamn nerds!

But if you're gonna celebrate, just remember: 2020 didn't leave a body.

Just remember that the current year is pronounced 2020 won.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What's the best dungeon mapping software?
What's the best World Building Software?

I need to know because my maps are garbage and I bought CC3+ with the dungeon and city suit and it was NOT worth it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Boba Pearl posted:

I need to know because my maps are garbage and I bought CC3+ with the dungeon and city suit and it was NOT worth it.

I like Tiled, which is free and does everything I need it to do -- but you have to supply your own sprite sheets, it doesn't come with assets.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

dungeondraft and wonderdraft, presuming you mean a landscape mapping program for world building software

looks good, actually lets you do things, lots of expandability

if you're playing in foundry dungeondraft lets you export lighting, walls, doors etc straight to foundry, which is great

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I like Dungeondraft for battle maps (top), and Wonderdraft (bottom) for world maps. I also use Watabou for quickly generating town maps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Brainstorm titles for a new 2021 chat thread, please. It's a new year, time for new chat!

Also anyone feel free to make the thread if you feel inspired, or I'll do it probably tomorrow.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Traditional Games Chat Thread 2021: So anyway, I started Eldritch Blastin'

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Boba Pearl posted:

poo poo, I also bought the mapping bundle but haven’t had a chance to fiddle with it yet. Is it really that bad?

@title: didn’t we just change it like a week ago? Can’t we just slap a 20202021 in front of it? (I am not at all biased because my suggestion made it in).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
2021: Indoors and online due to the EVENT

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Chat Thread 2021: Rolling to see if 2021 will be a good year...snake eyes.

Mistaken Identity posted:

poo poo, I also bought the mapping bundle but haven’t had a chance to fiddle with it yet. Is it really that bad?

@title: didn’t we just change it like a week ago? Can’t we just slap a 20202021 in front of it? (I am not at all biased because my suggestion made it in).

It's been the Tyranny of Fun for months I think.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

2021 Anno DMG

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That Old Tree posted:

2021 Anno DMG

I like this a lot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mistaken Identity posted:

It's difficult to learn, but does make pretty maps. Basically it's still a CAD program under the hood with funny ways of doing things.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

King of Solomon posted:

Chat Thread 2021: Rolling to see if 2021 will be a good year...snake eyes.

It's been the Tyranny of Fun for months I think.

Of course. Wasn’t awake yet and thinking of the subforum title.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It slows down massively if you add a ton of symbols and stuff, which is what you need to do to add mountains and trees and things.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Angrymog posted:

It's difficult to learn, but does make pretty maps. Basically it's still a CAD program under the hood with funny ways of doing things.

Yeah I bought it after seeing a bunch of really good maps in a few products crediting it as the tool used to make them.

I found out that pretty maps don't come easily from it. One day I'm going to really spend some time with the manual and some small ideas and learn it... maybe.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Dann, who has time for that. Guess I’ll stick to using Dwarf Fortress Legends mode to create my maps.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

2021: Beyond DnDome

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Someone was telling me about this game system where combat is based on a flowchart where each step has to lead to specific other steps based on real swordfighting techniques. Does anyone know the title of this game?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

GorfZaplen posted:

Someone was telling me about this game system where combat is based on a flowchart where each step has to lead to specific other steps based on real swordfighting techniques. Does anyone know the title of this game?

Spellbound Kingdoms.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nea posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's 2021! New chat thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953789