Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Calphalon tri-ply is the thinnest of the ply/clad sets and most prone to warping afaik so that would be a good thing to check

<— Calphalon owner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

algae cooking oil

some Blade Runner poo poo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've returned from the Rumanian grocery store and got some pork fat, is this lard? Surprisingly difficult, like I saw a container of it in the fridge section but when I went to the counter to double check they weren't sure what I was asking for, "Do you have lard (for cooking with?)" and they pointed to like, some deep fried somethings kinda looked like samosas, I tried asking for cooking fat, eventually it clicked for them and the old lady there was like "Ah my grandma used to cook with that all the time! *smile*"

On a unrelated note, the asian grocery store has some kind of fish roe that seems to have a nice fat content, like 22g of fat to 20g of protein per serving, other than sushi what can fish roe be used in/for? A quick google suggests like scrambled eggs?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
3 kinds of lard: back, leaf, caul. photos and description here

https://soulyrested.com/2022/03/15/complete-guide-to-pork-lard/

default is back. if it's rendered in a container and it's white, it's prolly leaf

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

3 kinds of lard: back, leaf, caul. photos and description here

https://soulyrested.com/2022/03/15/complete-guide-to-pork-lard/

default is back. if it's rendered in a container and it's white, it's prolly leaf

It's too late to ask them now! I didn't realize there were different kinds! :smith: But yes, white and in a container.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like pictures are really helpful when playing the "what is this?" game.

Pork fat once rendered is lard. Technically, lard is still pork fat, but pork fat is not lard until it is rendered out. It's hard to say what you've got, because you've not given enough to go by.

[edit: white and in a container is lard, unless you've somehow gotten some sort of other animal fat like beef tallow.]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can tell what animal its from w a sniff, easy enough

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Looks and smells like vanilla icecream.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm intrigued by why you keep ending up with mystery meat products from Jean Talon. I know some shopkeepers there will give away extra stuff at the end of the day (dumpster diving without the dumpster) but it seems like a weird thing to do with meat

mystes
May 31, 2006

alnilam posted:

I'm intrigued by why you keep ending up with mystery meat products from Jean Talon. I know some shopkeepers there will give away extra stuff at the end of the day (dumpster diving without the dumpster) but it seems like a weird thing to do with meat
meat loot boxes could be the next big thing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
omaha steaks was founded 1917 and gained dominance in direct-to-consumer in the 1960s, so more of a revival

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

alnilam posted:

It clearly said Pork fat; but I didn't know if that's lard 100% for sure; but the fact is I'm an Anglo and can't speak French, so at ethnic stores I don't speak either language they speak so its hard to clarify or ask questions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Okay, can anyone explain to me what the gently caress is happening here with my Amazon orders of Shiratake noodles?

Left package is from a grocery store, right is from Amazon. Is this normal? Is this safe to eat? Its well before the best buy dates and in fact the packages have the same Best Before dates.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Why are you buying generic foodstuffs off of Amazon? I can maybe see it for brand-name stuff where nobody else is making that exact product (e.g. protein bars), but get staples locally where you can have some confidence that they're not counterfeits produced in countries with lax food safety laws.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why are you buying generic foodstuffs off of Amazon? I can maybe see it for brand-name stuff where nobody else is making that exact product (e.g. protein bars), but get staples locally where you can have some confidence that they're not counterfeits produced in countries with lax food safety laws.

Its not generic (Liviva), its the same brand at both Amazon and the grocery store (the grocery store though was in Hudson which is around an hour away from the Island of Montreal by car so it isn't super convenient to shop there except when I swing by for my family doctor). Its actually really inconsistent which stores stock which ones. Fettucine shiratake I can find easily enough, but penne shaped and rice shaped is harder.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
get konjac flour and make your own, then

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

get konjac flour and make your own, then

I think this doesn't answer the question and also isn't really feasible I only have so much time and energy to cook different meals from scratch. I'm just answering the question TMA asked and providing context.

e: Like to be clear, if the consensus is "Yes that's disgusting and dangerous, throw it out." then I'll obviously go to a little more effort to source it even if it means going to grocery stores a little off from my commute, there's two IGA's near me, and one for sure doesn't have them but the other one I didn't keep my eyes open the last time I was there; and there's probably a IGA or whatever on the metro line somewhere that will have Penne/Rice shiratake that looks edible; that's obviously an acceptable compromise between travelling 2 hours and making it myself.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 29, 2024

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's a generic garlic-ginger baked tofu recipe, a version of which is in like every veg* production kitchen out there. The tofu is cubed and coated with a slurry of something like granulated garlic, ginger powder, tamari, and nutritional yeast. Can anyone suggest some starting ratios?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

mystes posted:

meat loot boxes could be the next big thing

Meat loot boxes are already here and you might have a local farm share that sells them! I live in the NE US and we have Walden Local which ships me 6-8 lbs of random meat each month, and if you're in the mainland US, push comes to shove, there's always Butcher Box.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I would not eat the Amazon shirataki and I think I stand to be the poster in this thread most likely to go ahead and eat something contaminated

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Soul Dentist posted:

I would not eat the Amazon shirataki and I think I stand to be the poster in this thread most likely to go ahead and eat something contaminated

Yeah this is basically what I wanted to confirm, if it was just one package I'd maybe go "Huh maybe sometimes its funky looking?" But for this order all of the packages sent were funky and weird looking. I went and got a refund and sent a complaint, these should never have been shipped?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Raenir Salazar posted:

On a unrelated note, the asian grocery store has some kind of fish roe that seems to have a nice fat content, like 22g of fat to 20g of protein per serving, other than sushi what can fish roe be used in/for? A quick google suggests like scrambled eggs?

Do you have a picture? Of the packaging or whatever. If it's just the little orange eggs you can pretty much just put them on anything?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DasNeonLicht posted:

some Blade Runner poo poo

I really like quorn which I understand is just some kind of fungi grown in a vat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah quorn is a mold that feeds off of glucose feedstock to make protein.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have a picture? Of the packaging or whatever. If it's just the little orange eggs you can pretty much just put them on anything?

I didn't think to take a picture, the only thing I know about fish roe is sushi or caviar, and most of the packages had a relatively low fat content but one of the packages was closer to 1:1 which interested me.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks for the stockpot advice, I put it on the counter and it doesn't seem wobbly so I think it is probably fine. I assume if it is not fine it will be not-fine in a non-catastrophic way so I will just continue to cook with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Human Tornada posted:

Thanks for this, I bought one of these and it's a huge time saver. Just stick the chicken on it and stick it in the oven. No spatchcocking, no annoying wire rack, no twine, no flipping the bird halfway through. My only complaint is that it'd be nice if it were narrower so I could put the chicken on upside-down so the legs cook faster that then breasts, but it's still great.
You’re welcome! It really is delightful imo. Only time I spend is drying it, cutting the thighs open, getting the organs out, and making triangles out of the wings. For bonus time-saving, throw some washed salted baked potatoes in with it, and then you just have to do a vegetable separately.

I push the chicken setup all the way in, with the spine facing the back of the oven, pretending that the radiant heat / greater insulation from the back will cook the legs more/faster. I fully acknowledge it may be the placebo effect

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 30, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually have no idea, I asked what kind of meat it was but the guy didn't really understand me, he said I could cut it but that's about all I understood.
If you’re going to buy mystery meat in a language you don’t speak, you really have to get good. Meat is the absolute easiest to communicate, huge skill issue if you can’t even make animal noises and point to body parts

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

make animal noises and point to body parts

title of my sex tape

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Midniter posted:

title of my sex tape

lmao

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tasting mysterious pods, part 2: now this is pod tasting!

Found these at a market, among other, more recognizable spices

Any idea what they are?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Definitely some kind of alien egg, implant one and see what happens.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's gardenia, aka cape jasmine.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's gardenia, aka cape jasmine.

That would make sense. Anything cool you can do with it? A quick search only found things that use it as a coloring and/or quack medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never actually cooked with it and I've only ever heard of people using it for Korean pickled radish to give them color. Sorry!