Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous

same deal at my workplace

they're new enough computers that they come with windows 10 licenses, then xp gets installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lotion Tester posted:

same deal at my workplace

they're new enough computers that they come with windows 10 licenses, then xp gets installed

Are these like special machines? That is probably okay because it's very likely some hardware that does not support newer than XP sometimes really expensive stuff like CNC machines and such where it's very reasonable to isolate them and leave them without a network connection. only or on a very private network with no internet. If you are using XP for day to day with most people, that is an extremely bad sign and that place is not keeping up with tech, it does not bode well for their future nevermind how very likely it will be that some script kiddie knocks the entire thing tumbling to the ground. That's a giant do not work there sign.

Again a handful of dedicated machines to run special hardware or software is pretty normal, and I wouldn't worry about that. Your IT guys very likely have that thing locked down and hate its existence.

sig by owlhawk911

Dip Viscous

no it's brand new computers being used as regular workstations lol

obviously there aren't any xp drivers for the hardware so they're stuck at 800x600 with no sound

if you want to talk "special machines", a vt101 is used to talk to the server that the time cards get done on

Escape From Noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZd0GJYKwzY

Lucavi

bloom posted:

Lucavi seemed a kind and gentle poster and i'm not just saying that because they assigned me an anime character

:cheers:

monkay

The official sad poster
RIP BYOB thanks for the memories....

City of Glompton

hi monkay

Dick Bastardly

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
the BYOB deletion has been cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow, or in the failure of deletion the day after in perpetuity

Awesome winter sig by Symbolic, love it!

Lovely sig by the masterful Matoi Ryuko, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
(looking off into the sunset) i hear there are some mighty fine folks in SAS these days... my how times have changed