Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjBUVdT-f1U

After seven years one of the greatest games of all time will finally come to a close on January 28th on PC as well as Switch, PS4, and XBOX One. The free interlude chapters will also be included into the main game.

If you've been playing through the game from the start like I have or if you were waiting for it to fully come out, now is the time.

Useful Links:

Main Site
Steam Page
Cardboard Computer Twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB0CoBEmDGQ

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
So loving hype for this. Been doing a slow replay of the previous acts to catch up, especially since the third and fourth aren't burned quite as hard into my memory.

I'm seeing a ton of chatter from folks who said they've been waiting until it was complete to give it a shot, which means hopefully once the final act is out we're going to see a ton more discourse around the thing. There's so much to talk about, but relatively few people actually talking about it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Huh, so they're actually finishing it. I'd chalked it up as vapourware at this point

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Toaster Beef posted:

So loving hype for this. Been doing a slow replay of the previous acts to catch up, especially since the third and fourth aren't burned quite as hard into my memory.

I'm seeing a ton of chatter from folks who said they've been waiting until it was complete to give it a shot, which means hopefully once the final act is out we're going to see a ton more discourse around the thing. There's so much to talk about, but relatively few people actually talking about it.
Yeah, its a real shame barely anyone has done any real analysis of the game in the past seven years considering how groundbreaking it was for narrative games; especially because how its quietly been inspiring indie devs, with ZA/UM being one of the most notable.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 11, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I played the first two acts of this (and the interstitials, which are great) back in like 2015. Looking forward to (restarting and) finishing this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there anything to know before starting? I got this purely on the basis of the ZA/UM praise and have no idea what it is supposed to be.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

genericnick posted:

Is there anything to know before starting? I got this purely on the basis of the ZA/UM praise and have no idea what it is supposed to be.

When you get to the overworld map, don't rush straight to your objective. Take your time, drive around, explore the back roads. You never know what you may find. Return to Equus Oils at some point in Act 1. Play the interstitials in between the acts as well (Limits & Demostrations after Act 1, The Entertainment after Act 2, Here And There Along The Echo after Act 3, Un Pueblo De Nada after Act 4).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

vetinari100 posted:

Un Pueblo De Nada after Act 4).
And watch the actual live show of that TV broadcast they've filmed.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

SelenicMartian posted:

And watch the actual live show of that TV broadcast they've filmed.

Do this at like three in the morning in a completely dark room, if possible.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

vetinari100 posted:

When you get to the overworld map, don't rush straight to your objective. Take your time, drive around, explore the back roads. You never know what you may find. Return to Equus Oils at some point in Act 1. Play the interstitials in between the acts as well (Limits & Demostrations after Act 1, The Entertainment after Act 2, Here And There Along The Echo after Act 3, Un Pueblo De Nada after Act 4).
Limits and Demonstrations is actually meant to be the game's prologue and should be played first, but you'll be fine playing it after Act 1.

As I said, once the last episode comes they'll be patching in the interstitials in the proper order most likely.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 14, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
bump because this game is real good, i'd always had an eye on it but wanted to wait until it was close to completion. i regret sleeping on it now

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I kind of assumed this game was complete when I bought it over a year ago and I'm very glad it's actually being completed now!

I liked the underground river act the most, it was worth playing multiple times to see what happened at each stop and on the boat.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I played this to completion years ago, I guess that was just Act 1? and absolutely loved it. Can't remember much of the plot but definitely remember that I loved a dog named Blue and the game had the most perfect ambience to it.

Dunno if I want to get the whole lot on PS4 or get it on laptop and chain-smoke by the window in my parents house like how I played it first time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
alright yall

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1222202678677139456

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Final act is loving beautiful. I think a lot of folks—especially those like me, who have been following this thing for well over half a decade—are going to be surprised by it, but it works extremely well. I can't wait to see the discourse, though I know there are going to be people who poo poo on it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I've had the game on PC since before the Switch was announced, but never played it. Now I have the full game on PC but am thinking of double dipping so I can play in handheld mode.

Why does the console port have the "TV Edition" part of the name, besides the obvious? Is there any difference in content?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was this ever given away as part of a bundle? I vaguely remember playing it, but it's not in my Steam account so I'm wondering where I should check.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fun Times! posted:

Why does the console port have the "TV Edition" part of the name, besides the obvious? Is there any difference in content?

no difference in content. the TV Edition is just the console port published by annapurna, where you get all five acts and the interstitial content between acts plus like localization and probably some art work to make it fit a switch screen and stuff like that. it's like buying all of KRZ in a single box as if it didn't take nine years to come out in bits

if you already own the game on PC, then all this stuff is also released for you today and is included in the update that adds act five. so no, there is no difference in content, and the designator "PC Edition" and "TV Edition" doesn't really mean anything aside from whether you're playing it on PC or console

Bardeh posted:

Was this ever given away as part of a bundle? I vaguely remember playing it, but it's not in my Steam account so I'm wondering where I should check.

yeah, check humble

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I don't think the broadcast is included :(

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

SelenicMartian posted:

I don't think the broadcast is included :(

No, it doesn't appear to be. Which is a bummer, but I can live with it. That thing is mirrored all over the place, so we'll always be able to check it out.

Looks like I will have to play through the whole game once again on Switch if I want to play the epilogue, so that's the next step, I guess.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Well, that's certainly been an ending.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Does anyone know if there are any glaring performance issues on the switch? That's where I'm planning to get it but if the frame rate is choppy I'd rather get it in PS4 or PC

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's fine, I've beaten it all on the Switch in portable. Just scale the fonts up a little.

One problem is that in a few places (like the Act 4 restaurant) stick controls get weird and the only way to get to some areas is to tap on the screen.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Finished tonight after restarting from the beginning to remember what all happened from 3 years ago when I last played Act IV.

I think I was expecting something different and more content for Act V given the 3 year development cycle, but I can't say that I am disappointed in what I got. It was not the ending I expected, and it wasn't exactly satisfying, but given the themes of the game it feels right. Why am I tearing up over this dumb horse funeral?

I really love the visual style, the music, and the gameplay conceit. But I would say that it is not going to appeal to everyone. The pace is slow and it's along the same lines as oft-maligned "walking simulators", though more accurately a "choose-your-own-play".

I'm torn between leaving my playthrough as "my" canon story, or replaying to find secrets I might have missed and story details in the choices I didn't make. The latter seems pretty daunting given the number of options throughout the game. I am wondering how much might be considered hidden secrets as opposed to just variations in the tone of the story? I do think I am at least going to repeat Act IV to see the alternate options with each place you dock and I would like to explore the Zero more but I looked at a diagram map online and it looks only slightly less confusing than the flowchart of the plot of "Primer".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Strong-rear end ending. The fact that Conway is apparently lost forever really adds some juice to the resolution (?) we get for everyone else.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Did I miss anything about Weaver? Because it feels like I should know more about what her deal was after Act 5.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

genericnick posted:

Did I miss anything about Weaver? Because it feels like I should know more about what her deal was after Act 5.

I finished it kind of thinking she was the one who placed the order for 5 Dogwood Dr. and instigated the events of the game. She seems to exist outside of time now, in a Lynchian sense.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Apologies for the necromancy, but this thread came and went pretty quick, was just wondering if anyone else had finished the game since and had any thoughts.