Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I appreciate the write-up. I think you are being a bit hard on Flacco since he is acceptable in roughly half the games in your list, which is hard to do against great playoff teams. But I understand where you are coming from.

Also it would be great if more people would also contribute and talk about football instead of just typing lol

Yeah "dogshit" was maybe too strong but I just wanted to show that he wasn't at all immune to the same meltdowns and what have you that Lamar has had. Including this year to a team that Lamar beat up on the very next game.

All it takes is one great run to destroy a narrative. And if that one year didn't happen, even with the good performances are people really looking at his postseasons as something to aspire to? Probably not. Even with the great 2011 game against Brady he'd just be some dude who was never really remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Joe would have won. KC was trying so hard to give that game away.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Joe was consistently one of the worst QBs in the league under pressure during his time here. So unless we actually called more runs like we should have, no he would not have won and it would probably have looked the same if not worse.

That one great run he did have was marked by fantastic offensive line play.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kawalimus posted:

I can never tell if the January Joe stuff is ironic or not. But, I can go over game by game and assure you that outside of a one-year period, Joe Flacco was absolute dogshit in the playoffs and mediocre at best. Let's look at his stats.

Game 1 @Miami(W): 9/23 135 yards 0TD 0INT 1 rush TD--Obviously carried hard by defense here which picked Pennington 4 times.

Game 2 @ Tenn(W): 11/22 161yds 1 TD 0INT. Solid effort but nothing to write home about. A very 2000-Dilfer-like game. We really won this because Bart Scott went full Kurt Angle on Chris Johnson at the bottom of a pile after he was getting huge gains every carry.

Game 3 @Pitt(L): 13/30 141 yds 0TD 3INT. Abysmal. But the dude is a rookie on the road against a strong defense.

Game 4 @Patriots(W): 4/10 34yds 0TD 1INT. Carried HARD by defense and running game.

Game 5 @Colts(L): 20/35 189 yds 0TD 2 INT. Bad. Gave us no chance to win. No one mentions this game ever for some reason.

Game 6 @Chiefs(W): 25/34 265yds 2TD 0INT. His first actual good postseason game.

Game 7 @ Pitt(L): 16/30 125yds 1TD 1INT. Awful. Very much a team effort but we only needed adequate play to secure a win after a weak Pittsburgh start and didn't get it. 1st down interception to Ryan Clark late in the 3rd the lowlight of the game for Flacco.

Game 8 vs Texans(W): 14/27 176yds 2TD 0INT. Good effort against a very strong D though nothing extraordinary. Lucky to have been facing 3rd stringer TJ Yates.

Game 9 @Patriots: 22/36 306 yds 2TD 1INT. Great game that should have been a W if Lee Evans didn't drop the ball, we played for the first the next play instead of going straight for TD, and maybe if Cundiff doesn't shank.

Games 10, 11, 12, 13(4 W): Doesn't need to be said. One of the great postseason runs of all time ending with a SB MVP.

Game 15 @ Pittsburgh(W): 18/29 259yds 2TD 1 INT: Very strong effort to finally beat Pittsburgh on the road

Game 16 @Patriots(L): 28/45 292yds 4TD 2INT: Mixed bag. I'd call it overall good but throwing a very ill-advised pass on 2nd down on the potential game-winning drive with plenty of time left makes me put this in the bad column. Hmm an interception on a key 4th quarter drive on a completely unnecessary 2nd down risk? Sounds familiar.

Game 17 @Texans(L): 34/46 307yds 1TD 2INT: Doesn't look too horrible but the 2INT were back-to-back pick sixes that sealed their fate. Again, typical Flacco playoff 2nd half meltdown.

So when you look at the full picture, outside of like a one-year period Flacco absolutely melted down in close playoff games every single year. He definitely progressed from his Rookie and 2nd year, but typically his MO was to have one good game, then melt down the next one. Almost exactly what Lamar Jackson has done his last two playoff runs. Good game @ Tenn, miserable @Bills. Great game vs Texans where he picked up his play in the 2nd half, meltdown against Chiefs. I don't think we'll win a SB with Lamar at this point, but the dude is talented enough that he could still pull it all together for one big 2012-like run even if most of his career is going to be Flacco-like one good game one meltdown type stuff in the postseason.

In conclusion fire harbaugh now.

not at all bitter that the best four game run of flacco's entire career happened to occur during a single postseason run, no sir not me

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

not at all bitter that the best four game run of flacco's entire career happened to occur during a single postseason run, no sir not me

Yeah I'd feel the same way probably. That Ravens team had no business even getting past the divisional round and managed to beat the three top SB favorites one after another. That would be like the Ravens making it this year and losing to the Bucs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Athanatos posted:

This thread is from last year and about the Amazing Joe Flacco would would have won 2 more Super Bowls with the Ravens this year and last and also would have won were he the Browns QB but he would never lower himself to the level of playing QB for the Browns.

Joe is a Complicated Figure