Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Debate & Discussion be renamed to Debate Me Coward?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 25 80.65%
No. 6 19.35%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
Hello, some of you might know me as a regular poster in C-SPAM, Al! (I don't tend to get into a lot of political discussion and use C-SPAM mostly as a place to hone my artwork using current events as prompts). I have proposed in QCS that the subforum be renamed from Debate & Discussion to Debate Me Coward, because I think it would be funny and appropriate as a title for Debate & Discussion and other reasons (outlined below). I was given the permission to post this thread by a QCS moderator (who I can only assume was speaking for the Debate & Discussion mods) here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910705#post501580828

The full text of my proposal is below (it is written in the style of a helpdesk ticket because QCS has a lighthearted theme around this):

quote:

Forum - Debate & Discussion

Issue - Debate & Discussion has an intimidating and frankly boring title, and does not reflect the current rules, which are focused around serious reasoned debate.

Explanation - I am suggesting that the title of Debate & Discussion be changed to Debate Me Coward. This would be a little more unserious of a title that I think would attract new users with new perspectives. It is a phrase that is often used on the internet so it would be immediately recognizable. Other forums for serious topics like the Goon Doctor or Goons With Spoons and You Look Like poo poo all have less serious and direct titles. Now is a good time to do so because Debate & Discussion seems to be getting an overall reboot refocusing it on the Debate portion of the title. I also think C-SPAM posters should have a say in this because "Debate & Discussion" is displayed on every page of C-SPAM, and is a subforum of Debate & Discussion.

Examples of the issue - Not sure what an example would be. I think if the Debate & Discussion board is getting a reboot with new rules and new mods, now is a good time to talk about a title change.

This thread is for both voting on and discussing the merits of the title at hand. I am placing a poll here, however if a compelling argument is accepted by the moderation staff and a consensus of the posters in this thread, I think a voice vote should be held by the posters in the thread who have contributed to the discussion, even if the poll result is negative (after all, it is an opinion poll open to everyone, not an election).

I would only like to set one rule for this debate, that this thread not be used to brainstorm other titles, only discussion of the title "Debate Me Coward" currently being proposed. Discussion of how the title should be styled (innercapped vs uppercapped for example) and how the title should be punctuated is allowed. I would also like to request that no discussion is had about my standing to raise this issue, as standing was already granted in QCS (linked above). I would also like to request that any of my fellow C-SPAM posters respect that you are here as a guest, refrain from toxic and abusive behavior or trolling.

Finally, I would also ask that everyone please take the time to read the rules post at the top of Debate & Discussion, as they are new but important to understand as you have this debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Coward should be all caps

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I concur that "coward" should be in all caps, as well as two exclamation points placed Lionel Hutz style to change the meaning slightly. Like this:

quote:

Debate Me! COWARD!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

strong agree with this proposal

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Stairmaster posted:

Coward should be all caps

Agreed, and in addition I would appreciate an elipses between 'me' and 'COWARD'.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's a bad title because of the association with people like Ben Shapiro.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sinteres posted:

the titular COWARD

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Firstly, sir or madam, thank you for thine proposal. It is something I have pondered for a score minutes. Secondly, the only change I would propose is that there should be a comma after "Me" so that it have proper grammar. Otherwise, I fully endorse this proposal and will gladly make any effort needed to make it possible.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sinteres posted:

This is an important concern in these trying times.

However! The phrase is actually making fun of Ben Shapiro. It is lampooning right wing trolls trying to get people to engage their bad faith with good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Also they're obviously trolling.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sinteres posted:

sinteres, Do you have any evidence for this accusation?

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Really? I don't think so, just reading the OP. Do you have any proof?

Also, even though you've made it clear that you're against the name change, do you have a name suggestion that would work better? You could even start your own thread with a different new name.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Remember this is only for changing the name to "Debate Me Coward". Advocating for an alternative should be in a different thread.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cartoon Violence posted:

Really? I don't think so, just reading the OP. Do you have any proof?

Also, even though you've made it clear that you're against the name change, do you have a name suggestion that would work better? You could even start your own thread with a different new name.

My proposal is for D&D to be the child forum to cspam until you guys do something to get it shut down, but we get to vote on the new name for cspam in the meantime. Reversal of fortune.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Sinteres posted:

I think this is the main criticism of the title, that it is too associated with the Alt-Right. However, while I do believe you are correct about its origin (if anyone can make an effortpost about it's genesis, I would appreciate it as I'm not enough of an expert on the topic to do so), people have adapted it to be a more generic unserious turn of phrase (often self-deprecating references to the merits of online debates). Here are several examples of people using it that way on twitter:

https://twitter.com/FaintlySpotted/status/1213511253202755584
https://twitter.com/aaronhuertas/status/1215086386849562626
https://twitter.com/MrPumpkinFace1/status/1215917470332026881

There are many more, but I do not want to fill this thread up with twitter embeds.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sinteres posted:

My proposal is for D&D to be the child forum to cspam until you guys do something to get it shut down, but we get to vote on the new name for cspam in the meantime. Reversal of fortune.

I'm sorry but this is not the thread for that.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Sinteres posted:

I am not trolling even though I'm not currently posting in the "house style" of C-SPAM currently. This is a 100% serious proposal. I do not feel like you are engaging with me in good faith and are trying to derail this discussion, so unless I see a moderator intervene I will be reporting this post.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Sinteres posted:

While I admire your new ideas (fresh eyes and ears can do wonders in creative teams), this isn't the thread for suggestions like that.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Violence posted:

I concur that "coward" should be in all caps, as well as two exclamation points placed Lionel Hutz style to change the meaning slightly. Like this:

quote:

Debate, me? COWARD!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Sinteres posted:

This post is not funny, insightful, or clever. You're supposed to assume good faith in DnD, or as it's soon to be called, DMC. You're running afoul of one of the rules of DMC.

quote:

---Meet effort with effort: If a poster puts forward a well-developed argument, rebut with a similarly constructed counter argument that meaningfully addresses their points. Note that effort is not a matter of wordcount; it is about fostering a worthwhile dialogue and addressing one another in good faith. In particular, if sources or expertise are cited, counter arguments should critique or counter these, not simply ignore them.

Please elaborate on how this post is obviously trolling, seeing how it started as a QCS thread, and was approved, by a mod no less, to be posted in DMC.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Boba Pearl posted:

This post is not funny, insightful, or clever. You're supposed to assume good faith in DnD, or as it's soon to be called, DMC. You're running afoul of one of the rules of DMC.

Please elaborate on how this post is obviously trolling, seeing how it started as a QCS thread, and was approved, by a mod no less, to be posted in DMC.

You're being way too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I really would have loved to approve this but you failed to clear the necessary 98% threshold of approval so I guess we're going to have to pass on this idea. My sincere apologies.