Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love books and I love comics.

I don't just mean that I love reading comics, though of course I do, but that I love the medium of comics. The title of the thread comes from an LA Times article about physical books vs. eBooks. It has a quote that kind of encapsulates my love of the physical form.

quote:

In eliminating a book’s physical existence, something crucial is lost forever. Trapped in a Kindle, the story remains but the book can no longer be scribbled in, hoarded, burned, given or received. We may be able to read it, but we can’t share it with others in the same way, and its ability to connect us to people, places and ideas is that much less powerful.

Before I had a comics collection, I had a huge library of books (now I have both), and my love for the physical printed format has remained as I've included art in the stories that I read. While I may do most of my reading on my iPad Pro because of the convenience factor, I spend just as much time scouring bargain bins and used book shops looking for cool books that I hadn't seen before, collecting runs, and sorting and cataloguing what I pick up.

There is a fantastic thread in GBS that's all about weird and wonderful books, and I also participate in a discord that includes a swag bag channel for posting cool stuff you pick up. I also love watching the Cartoonist Kayfabe episodes where they dig through quarter bin purchases, go look at someone's collection, or go through the mail items that people send them. I always leave those with new material to be on the lookout for. And I thought that we could do that here as well; while we definitely skew towards the big 2, people in this forum read and buy all kinds of cool stuff and it would be nice to share it.

So this is a thread for talking about physical comics. It's not restricted to the standard 32 page format, but includes the entire world of comics and graphic storytelling. That means the standard Wednesday warrior floppies, but also mini-comics, magazines, trade paperbacks, hardcovers, and monstrously oversized omnibuses. It also means zines, comic art ephemera, and other cool items that we pick up along the way of building a collection.

So... how to participate?

:justpost:

Post pictures of cool books that you find while you're out digging for new books.
Post pictures of cool books you already own.
Post pictures of stuff you found but didn't buy. (in fact sometimes that's a better approach, because there's cool stuff out in the wild that doesn't necessarily need to live in your home once you documented it)
Post pictures of the covers.
Post pictures of the backs.
Post pictures of the interior that you think are interesting.

If you just want to image dump, that's cool, but you can also talk about what you're posting, or talk about what other people posted (if you see something that interests you and want to see more, ask). Not every post needs a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is a reserved post to share only the coolest of the cool. But in the meantime, I felt like I could kick it off.

These aren't my most recent purchases but they're fairly recent purchases that I had easy access to on my phone.

I picked up Shaky Kane's Deadline work on Amazon after getting into his books via That's because you're a robot, an Image one-shot from 2014. His stuff rules and I'll post more of it as I dig through my bins. Very Kirby by way of the 80s British scene.

There's a local head shop that also sells comics. I haven't been there much, but on my last trip there I grabbed this book about Marie Severin off of the clearance racks. Marie is an unsung artist who did a huge amount of work with Marvel in the formative years. I place her maybe 5th or 6th in the 60s artist pantheons. She may not be a Ditko or a Kirby, but she's a cut above guys like Lieber or Adkins. Her handful of Dr. Strange books are well worth a read. This book is an examination of her career, with lots of her art and interviews both with her and with others who knew or worked with her.

Sometimes I hit up the Friends of the Library bookstore here in town. They're hit or miss, with a lot of mediocre "serious autobio graphic novels" from cartoonists you've never heard of, but I almost always also find some cool D&Q or Fantagraphics stuff that's well worth picking up. They're also real cheap. On a recent trip I scored the full run of La Perdida by Jessica Abel. I haven't read it yet, but I've seen Abel's stuff elsewhere, so I'm looking forward to diving into this one.

I also got this collection of Diane Noomin comics that Fantagraphics put out. Diane Noomin has been making comics since the 70s as part of the whole SF underground movement. She's married to Zippy Pinhead creator Bill Griffiths (some of his work shows up in the book) and is a fairly prodigious and Eisner nominated cartoonist in her own right. I've flipped through the book, it's very what you'd expect from that era of comics. I don't love the art but I'm willing to give it a shot. And I do love the back cover.

And lastly - not sure where I picked this up. I know it was real cheap though. It's a profile of some great silver age artists with lots of their art. It's got all the greats you'd expect: Kirby, Ditko, Kubert, Colan, Steranko, Infantino, Kane, and Adams. It's cool to just look at. That stuff holds up really well even today.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

I picked up this comic just based on the cover. And happily the inside art (and writing) is the same artist: Josh Bayer.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 24, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Josh Bayer rules!

Here's a book that he's been working on recently - All Time Comics. The first volume had some of Herb Trimpe's last work in comics before his death (maybe his last? not sure). I picked up the trade of All Time Comics last year from Floating World Comics directly while at TCAF, and am buying the single issues as they come out now. The trade is filled with cool back matter stuff, including art by the main artists and also friends of the artists (a Shaky Kane appearance!).

Floating World Comics puts out really cool stuff in general and are always worth checking out. I bought this Chuck Forsman book when it came out last fall, it's a fun little one shot about Revenger going on a bit of a vampire killing spree and finding a little vamp girl.

In the main thread there was recent talk of Wasteland, so here's all the covers. I completed my run of the series just before Christmas, and finally dug the other issues out of my storage locker Thursday night. I read the series over the course of the last night / morning. It's... fine. Some of the art is real cool (Don Simpson in particular), and I like a handful of the stories quite a bit, but on the whole I wasn't that impressed. The stories were mostly odd rather than funny or scary or moving. I love the covers though.

The cover for #6 being blank is real interesting. Mike Gold, the editor, moved and while he was busy moving they accidentally printed the cover to #6 in the interior of #5. The creative team had a whole plan about the artist rotation on covers based on which artist did the interior, and this screwed it up. So their correction was to just not solicit a new cover for 6. I think it works really well.

Oh, and Wasteland has one of the best Christmas stories in comics.

And a super weird letter.

And for something completely different:

Jim Steranko's History of Comics, volume 2! This is actually still in stock at Diamond of all places, and as far as I can tell it's the original printing, or else a really faithful reproduction. They must have found a pallet or something. I read the first volume on my iPad, but the one about comics is the one I'm really interested in anyway. Gonna enjoy reading this.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 18, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
poo poo, I was going to post the Steranko one too! The cover is great--it's cool seeing characters that are still in the public consciousness today and others that I have no idea about. I picked up the second volume in the wild but never saw the first.

E. I looked in my copy and it was projected to be a 6 part series, but I don't think anything past the 2nd was published.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 18, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The first volume was apparently re-solicited last year and pops up once in a while at diamond. I’ll ask my shop about it next time I go in. I wouldn’t mind getting a copy of it, there’s some cool info in there about the golden age of pulp magazines. The writers put out books at a crazy rate.

And yeah mine says the same, but I’m pretty sure he never got past two volumes. Steranko didn’t always stay with things through to the planned conclusion.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Archyduchess posted:

This is a great idea for a thread and it makes me wish I'd kept up on my college passion for collecting mini-comics and zines whenever I could.

I do have some neat stuff from Locust Moon's short-lived press and their followup, Beehive Books, which does breathtaking work. I've never been as excited for anything ever as for their edition of my all-time favorite book, The Blazing World.

I don't have a ton of mini comics, but I thought I'd post what I do have.

Last year at TCAF I grabbed the collection that Read More Comix was selling. Like 30$ or something for all of their previous work. It's a Toronto comic collective that has a cartoony gross style that I really enjoy. Their big stuff is these five books, but some of their smaller books are in other pictures here too.

While at TCAF I also picked up a bunch of smaller mini comics; this one in particular stood out to me.

And not mini-comics but I also bought this piece of art from a guy who didn't seem to have much comics stuff, but lots of little art pieces like this.

After TCAF I did some scouring of Etsy / Storeenvy and sent a ton of stuff to a PO box on the other side of the border. The main purchases were from Nate McDonaugh and Billy McKay.

Grixly stuff (not everything I bought, but a good chunk of it):

Some other stuff Nate has done. He also sent me a piece of art, which I need to dig up and post.

From Billy I got his series Peculiar Paper People, as well as some smaller stuff he had done.

Morf is a cool book put together by a whole bunch of indie artists. (that's a little strip put out by Read More Comix along the bottom there)

Billy also did a series with a dude from prison, called The Mad Parasite.

And then I ordered a commission and a couple books from Kyle Starks. I also subbed to his Patreon, thus the fun little christmas card thing.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 27, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hard to compete with all that cool poo poo, but here's my humble contribution:

It's exactly what it sounds like, thousands of comic book covers in full color.

I have the set of four that I found at a storied downtown Pittsburgh comic book store a decade ago or so. I'm not sure if they made any others, but the Marvel ones go up through 1990. Incidentally, you can see my version of that Steranko comic book history with its wraparound cover art.

It's kind of a neat artifact because obviously if you just wanted to browse a bunch of comic book covers, the internet has your back. But back when these books came out, that wasn't really the case. They also have some goofy pricing stuff that's easy to ignore.

I opened up at random and took a few pictures--it's fun to look at the comics of yesteryear and it's convenient to have a big rear end book to do it. My only caveat is that having a magnifying glass would help a little bit--just seeing them at 2x would go a long way. If you want to get a closer look at something, you'll need to go to the source and zoom in a bit more.

double page spread

closeup 1

closeup 2

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

While at TCAF I also picked up a bunch of smaller mini comics; this one in particular stood out to me.

Thank you for having good taste as always, Jordan7hm. I just tracked this down and bought a copy for my wife. It will mean a lot to her, because she is disabled, teaches a college course on Disability, Body, and Identity, wrote her dissertation on women with disabilities and their identities of resistance, and we always play "Spot the Microaggressions" when we're out together.

I'm always trying to provide her with comics with disability themes to possibly use as cultural artifacts in class (there are more than people realize), so this will be a neat addition for the mini-collection I've sort of forced upon her. The cartoonist, M. Sabine Rear, is blind, so it should be interesting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome! I'm glad it interested you. There were a ton of cool little books like that at TCAF. It's not comics, but while there I also grabbed a small selection of zines about the residential school system. They're loving brutal, but on the idea of using them to teach, one of them is about how to talk to your kids about residential schools. It's actually really good.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Hard to compete with all that cool poo poo, but here's my humble contribution:

This rules! I love comic covers so much, and I'd buy something like that in a heartbeat if I found it while out browsing.

Also - I see you've got Art Spiegelman's "In the Shadow of No Towers" book on your shelf. I picked that up over the weekend in a clearance bin and that's one worth looking at more closely. I absolutely love the sheer size of the drat thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some books came in the mail last week, and one of those books was bought because of this thread.

The Temple of Silence, an oversized collection of Herbert Crowley's art and comics. It's a research passion project put out by Beehive Books. I was browsing their site based on the mention here, and thought this looked absolutely stunning.

I love old and oversized comics.

I also happened to pick up two Roy Thomas collections (Barbarian Life) , which go through the first hundred issues of Conan the Barbarian issue by issue. I love Conan, he's one of my favorite characters and probably the most consistent licensed IP to ever make its way to comics. He's also an actually good use of Roy Thomas' talents (Roy's Marvel comics from the 60s and 70s were bad, except for what he did on Conan and the Conan mags).

This book also has a really weird publishing history. Apparently it's based on articles Roy wrote in English, which were then translated for a Spanish publisher. When it came time to collect the books nobody had the English versions of the essays, so they re-translated them back to English and Roy went over and cleaned them up afterwards. I kind of wonder how that plays out in some of the writing.

And lastly I got a Junji Ito book, but I think I'll wait to share that until I collect a bunch of his stuff into one post.

On a totally different note - How Wonderful!, I removed the second sentence from my earlier quote. I assume the edit was done for doxxing reasons or something. Are you ok with me leaving the rest, or would you prefer I remove it entirely?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Some books came in the mail last week, and one of those books was bought because of this thread.

The Temple of Silence, an oversized collection of Herbert Crowley's art and comics. It's a research passion project put out by Beehive Books. I was browsing their site based on the mention here, and thought this looked absolutely stunning.

I love old and oversized comics.

I also happened to pick up two Roy Thomas collections (Barbarian Life) , which go through the first hundred issues of Conan the Barbarian issue by issue. I love Conan, he's one of my favorite characters and probably the most consistent licensed IP to ever make its way to comics. He's also an actually good use of Roy Thomas' talents (Roy's Marvel comics from the 60s and 70s were bad, except for what he did on Conan and the Conan mags).

This book also has a really weird publishing history. Apparently it's based on articles Roy wrote in English, which were then translated for a Spanish publisher. When it came time to collect the books nobody had the English versions of the essays, so they re-translated them back to English and Roy went over and cleaned them up afterwards. I kind of wonder how that plays out in some of the writing.

And lastly I got a Junji Ito book, but I think I'll wait to share that until I collect a bunch of his stuff into one post.

On a totally different note - How Wonderful!, I removed the second sentence from my earlier quote. I assume the edit was done for doxxing reasons or something. Are you ok with me leaving the rest, or would you prefer I remove it entirely?

Nah you're good. I was being hyper-paranoid about doxxing stuff so I took out everything I could find about where I live, which was probably overcorrecting to begin with.

Anyway please tell me your thoughts on The Temple of Silence. I've had my eye on it for awhile but Crowley is a complete unknown to me and it's pretty pricy for a blind buy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Will do.

Amazon.ca had it for 100$ CAD, with a 10% discount for being classed as a textbook, which is a big part of why I took a flyer on it.

Two posts in one day. This time this isn't really about comics, but I think it's sequential art, so I'm calling it comics adjacent. Earlier in the year I got turned on to children's illustrated books by a Cartoonist Kayfabe video focused on the topic. I also have a son who isn't quite at his teenage years yet. As a result, when I'm out looking for bargains I generally take a wander through the children's section, especially at book fairs. I thought I'd post a couple of the more interesting books from his shelf.

Up first we have a couple fairly standard books.

I don't remember the particular Helen Oxenbury books that I had growing up, but I absolutely remember reading Ten Little Fingers, Ten Little Toes dozens of times to my son when he was a baby. Her art is wonderful; grounded but whimsical. Sparse on backgrounds, with slightly chubby characters who just look kind of angelic. In 1999 she put out an illustrated edition of Alice in Wonderland, and though I own at least two other versions of this book, I had to pick this up when I found it.

Beatrix Potter's works are classics, but I never really put together anything complete of hers, nor did I realize just how much of the work involved the illustrations. Nearly every page of The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter is filled with drawings. She was a great artist.

This page on the left in particular reminds me of comics, with the way the kitten moves around the page with the narration acting almost as a caption box would in a comic.

I bought this on the strength of the art. Rowan Barnes-Murphy is a British illustrator who does kids book, editorial cartoons, and (based on his website) paintings of peoples houses on spec. The art rules. One thing about picture books written for kids - there are some spectacular and imaginative artists working in the space who could probably draw the hell out of a comic, but just never work in the medium.

I picked up a these random books at the dollar store a while back. They're reading series aimed at young kids, so they should be generic trash, but many of them are by a single writer / artist, while others just have great art. They also all seem to use dialogue bubbles in the illustrations, which is a weird touch. On the whole, I was surprised by the quality and picked a couple up.

And now we start moving into the stranger side of things.

Round Trip is a book that you read once from left to right, then you turn it upside down and read it again (thus going from right to left in the original orientation). The art generally works well both ways, and though I think it's not perfectly executed, it's just a cool concept.

This next book has a text blurb on the back jacket insert that... speaks for itself.

It's weird, man.

I read it to my son the other day. He was very confused. So was I.

And finally, the last book is something completely different. My parents were grad students in Montreal and me and my brother grew up poor as a result. We also didn't have TV. Instead, we entertained ourselves with things we made ourselves, or in this case, a book created by my dad when I was maybe 6. The pictures are pulled from magazines, the book itself is made with tape and cardboard, and the story is a bit much for a kid, but I love it and I love that I still have it. I present it here in its entirety (minus his name being blanked out on the cover).

(the front cover is a bit torn up, that was once a picture of a teddy bear on the front)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Back with more comics! This time, I've just got one book that I want to dive deep on.

There's a local auction site that people use that every once in a while has some cool comic finds. This week I won an auction for Frontline Combat #3. This is actually a Canadian edition published by Superior, which is why it looks a little bit different. Finding that out led me down this rabbit hole of comics history. It turns out for a period of time after WW2 comics couldn't be imported from the US, so a domestic industry popped up of companies that reprinted American material. So while this is a reprint, it was printed contemporaneously to the EC version. Apparently the main differences are different / fewer ads, lack of some back matter material (no letters page), and inferior page stock and colour print processes, which leads to slightly more muddy colours.

All that being said, this is still a nearly 70 year old comic, put together by masters in the field. I'm super happy to get it, and really loved that despite some tears on the cover it stands up well to reading. I went through it as soon as I got home and took pictures of the stories. Every one of them holds up well.

The first story is Tin Can. All the stories are written by Kurtzman with letters by Ben Oda, and this one has Jack Davis doing both pencils and inks.

Tin Can is an 8 pager about a submarine. The first 5 pages are all about how the submarine operates with each crew member being part of a team, and no one crew member being more important than the sub itself. Then we're introduced to the protagonist of the story, a janitor. While his shipmates make fun of him for his work, he too is part of the team, and a valued contributor to the overall success of the sub.

(you can kind see some of the crappy printing here in the top panels, though this is one of the only instances of that in the book)

The bang on the last panel of this page is an explosion. The ship has been hit! The other crew members rush to seal off the part of the ship that's taking on water. But as you can see...

... no one crew member is more important than the sub itself.

The second story is called Desert Fox, and is of course about Rommel. Pencils and inks by Wally Wood.

This one is set up as a juxtaposition between stories of Rommel's humanity and courage, and the horrors of the Nazi regime he represented. You get a page of Rommel as the kinda good guy, and then some horrible Nazi atrocities.

And they don't...

hold...

back.

Story #3 is a wonderful drawn Harvey Kurtman piece about the Korean War, called Prisoner of War!.

It's about a group of American soldiers who get captured by the Koreans, and about the one who turns Benedict Arnold in order to make things better for himself during the long death march the POWs are being forced on.

Finally though, the prisoners escape (despite the Benedict trying to help his captors). And at the end of the story, it turns out that the rat wasn't really rewarded for his evil deeds. I think that entire last page is incredible cartooning, particularly the three finals. Ghastly material, conveyed with ease.

The final story, How They Die!, has pencils by John Severin and inks by Bill Elder, and it's just as good as the ones that came before, but very different in terms of art style. Where Kurtzman leans into the cartooney and animated figures, Severin and Elder draw elaborate and "realistic" scenes and figures.

This one is about how the costume of war has changed over the years, and seems as much as anything to be an excuse for Severin and Elder to draw some good looking art. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Anyway that's it for now. EC comics loving rule, everyone should read the books they put out. They were producing capital A Art, with an exceptional array of talent, and telling stories that we wouldn't see the likes of again in mainstream comics for literally decades. I'm super happy to have this book in my collection, always on the lookout for EC stuff, particularly the war books.

I have a post saved up on some of the Gladstone reprints of the Sci-Fi books. Not quite as boundary pushing, but great all the same. That'll probably the next thing I share here.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t own this to post pictures of, but I recently fell in love with the “Willie & Joe” war cartoons by Bill Mauldin, available by Fantagraphics and online on Comixology Unlimited. They’re one-panel gag comics from the trenches of WW2.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As an EC Fanatic myself, love the post. I've never tried to track down originals, I have most of the pre trend crime and almost all the horror, sci fi, war, and crime (I might be missing some Shock) in the annuals from the 90s that each contained 5 issues or so. They cover priced under 10 bucks and when I got my first real job, I bought a few dozen from the publisher to fill in all the gaps I had from when I was a kid.

The war titles are for sure the high water mark as far as storytelling goes, though the art is amazing throughout the entire line. I think most people would find them overwritten compared to modern comics, and several horror and crime plots rely on a familiar love triangle that gets old.

The sci fi stories are probably my second favorite after the war, but all of it is good if you like the house style. I've read almost no post trend--is any of that worth seeking out?

And if anyone doubts the power of Harvey, just compare the first issues of Mad with its "sister" title Panic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Local convention happened today, one that's very much focused on comic book dealers selling comic books. No toys, no kitch ephemera or board games. Just books. So I picked up a short box worth of comics! My normal MO is that I don't go past the dollar bins or mayyyybe 2$ bins. Too many great comics find their way into the cheap boxes, no need for me to drop much more than that unless I'm seeing somebody with a really interesting collection of books (like when I grabbed some Steranko stuff at more than 5-10$ range last year at this convention).

This is gonna be a fairly big post filled with very random floppies. I also picked up lots of stuff I won't show off here, but that's more about filling out runs, or interesting one shots that don't quite make the grade for what I wanted to post today.

Let's start out with some bigger sets that I ended up grabbing.

I've already talked about it, but I love EC comics! This was about 20 issues of the late 90s Gemstone reprints, across all the various titles. I like these books in the single comic issue format, I'd love to collect the whole drat run at one point or another.

Found the full set of Daytripper in the very first box I dug through. Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon are fantastic cartoonists, so for 10$, an easy pickup.

Some random Weird Worlds from DC. This is early 70s, John Carter of Mars and Tarzan. I bought it for the Tarzan, but actually flipping through it I think the John Carter stuff looks better. Looks to be a mix of kinda mediocre artists and then guys like Len Wein and Marv Wolfman on scripts.

Eclipse is probably my favorite 80s publisher. They did all kinds of cool little mini series, great longer form works like Grimjack and Scout, and also published a bunch of reprints of golden age stuff. That's what these are - Seduction of the Innocent reprints pre-code horror books. I flipped through them and they're pretty good. Tons of Toth, some Murphy Anderson, Mort Meskin, Reed Crandall, Frazetta (though I think that's just the piece you see below) and others. Here are a few random shots:

I picked up a good run of Spider-Man's Tangled Web. I love this series! You see artists taking on Spider-Man in a way they may never have done before or be able to do again. Yeah, the stories are mostly disposable, but that's what comics is. I've got some others from this series (like the Kaare Andrews and Jim Mahfood issues) and they're always worth grabbing.

Some of the highlights for me are...

Sean Phillips and Edward Risso (the Risso story is an awesome mobster tale that feels straight out of 100 bullets)

Garth Ennis & John McCrae (with Glen Fabry covers)

Paul Pope!

In the vein of random Image re-reads that Random Stranger is doing, I picked up this little 3 issue mini series (Creech) that Greg Capullo wrote. I dunno if this will be any good or not, but man the art looks hard as hell.

And then there's a whole bunch of random issues that I thought were worth calling out.

Valentino and Don Simpson put together this really fun 1960s take on Shadowhawk (the other half of the issue is a very 90s take on Shadowhawk, but whatever).

Bendis did a bunch of early work with Caliper Press before he made it big time with Marvel. There are two issues of Quivers, I grabbed both of them.

This one-off Return of Herbie includes a Dan Dare Herbie strip that went unpublished by Dark Horse, but also some real Ogden Whitney poo poo. Herbie is such a weird comic.

This book had a sticky note on it that said "wicked ink inside". Good enough for me... and also, I agree.

Technically I bought this last week (in a 50 cent sale)...

The Spider-Man sexual abuse issue. It blows my mind that this was a real thing. The second story is just as :stare: as the first one (the first one being about how Spider-Man was abused as a boy, the second one being about how the Power Pack helps out a girl who's being molested by her father). Trying to decide if this is an appropriate way to introduce these topics to children or not, given the age of my son.

My rule with anthologies in dollar bins is that if I see it, I generally buy it. I bought some others today too, but this is the one to call out. It's not a normal comic, it's actually a broadsheet that's folded in half. Super cool!

Mother Teresa!

And finally... Sometimes I don't buy comics for the interiors, but because of other factors like how cool the cover is. Charles Vess cover = yes. Annuals are usually a good buy anyway because they're almost always self contained stories, and normally oversized. Bang for your buck.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hey, if you get a chance could you possibly post some of your thoughts on Temple of Silence? I had a big expense coming up that has turned out to be roughly $600 less than I had budgeted for and I'm tempted to spend part of my tax return unwisely.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I loved Weird Worlds! The Ironwolf stuff in particular, it was such a bizarre universe with gnarly art.

Jows
May 8, 2002

My grandmother passed away recently and while cleaning out her house I came across these:

Think they're worth anything or should I let my 3yo play with them?

j/k I've done my homework. They belonged to my uncle who passed away in 1971. My grandmother packed all these up and they've been sitting in her crawlspace for 50 years. I didn't even know they were there. I thought it would be fun to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This thread feels very much in the vein of Cartoonist Kayfabe and I am here for it.

I don't think I've ever seen that Shadowhawk book by Don Simpson and Jim Valentino. Was that part of the 1963 line from Image? I gotta find me a copy, I'm a huge fan of Dandy Don's stuff.