Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Re: Special options, some stuff about the previous case doesn't quite add up to me.

West's version of events is that he worked the dusk shift, was relieved by Gourd, and then waited a few minutes til the next person is done patrolling. He comes back and explains that he kicked out a homeless man.

Gourd's version of events is that he worked the dawn shift, and on that 1:10am patrol (presumably, the same patrol Gourd was waiting him to complete), he found the victim in a drunk state, returned to the office for a wheelchair, and then used the wheelchair to move the man outside.

Why is this return trip to the office to collect not mentioned in West's version of events?

Additionally, we know from the CCTV footage that Gourd spent 20 minutes hovering around the victim's body in the process of depositing it outside. If that's the case, and Gourd discovered the victim sleeping on his 1:10am patrol, it would mean he didn't return to fully relieve West until 1:30am. That's a lot more than "a few minutes", why doesn't West mention that?

Further, the autopsy reports facial injuries and an occipital fracture. The person who discovered the body reports bloodstains consistent with those injuries.

However...

Why does Gourd assume that the bleeding is the result of a crack to the back of the victim's head? This seems like such a classic "I never told you [x]" moment that it's deplorable the officer missed the opportunity.

Also this, why specify that the victim had no injuries, if he's supposedly concerned about the guy dying in the building. We also know based on his previous record that he has assaulted the homeless before.

Gourd murdered this man. I'm not sure if West helped cover it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Chapter III: "Duty to Protect" (Verdict: Non-Indictment)

There isn't much difference to this one, so this will be a pretty short update.

One nice thing about this game is that after you've played through a case, the initial data is all already filled in. You just have to click the check mark to submit.

In fact, as a night shift worker, I perform my duties to a T.
"I'm not his guardian"... a valid point.

This is only difference, case-wise. To get a not-guilty verdict, we simply present the Flower County regulations instead of the National Civil Service Law.

sorry about my mouse, not sure how that got in the frame

Even if there's a regulation that rail workers should toss out the homeless, there's definitely no regulation to protect them.
You did your job according to the station's night shift regulations. Also, you had no legal or contractual obligation to rescue that homeless man.
Okay, I like what you are saying now, and I have a question for you.
Is an intoxicated person " in need of help" according to the law?

Gourd is, of course, guilty in every other respect. Ringo was clearly in distress, and as it was a cold and rainy night it was obvious that hypothermia was a risk. Unfortunately...

So, why are you saving me, shouldn't I be punished?
Even if there is a single factor incomplete from the components of a crime, we can't punish you.
You're not guilty!

(We once again get the message from Moon about his family, but it's identical and so I didn't include it.) Not an especially satisfying ending to the case. A sentiment everyone else, including Jane's superiors, seems to agree with! After all, this was the biggest case that our precinct had seen all year. Even when he indicted, we were being yelled at because of our low scores. Now that we've let it go?

Well, we're in quite a lot of trouble.

[...]
If you don't want to be questioned this late at night, you can always find another job.
[...]
Good. Let's continue.

They're like bugs swarming around sewage.
[...]
I don't expect you to tell me how much you received in bribes. However, I bet Sergeant George Vetta has a lot to say.

That rat bastard. I wish I could say I was surprised.

That you ordered a subordinate to arrest a wanted criminal to boost your performance level...
That you ordered the posting of false promotional content to boost your performance level...
All to boost your performance level...
[...]

Then let's change topics, let's talk about your loan situation, shall we? Or your love life? Shall I ask you about your personal life?
[...]
You had your guidelines from your superiors. Think carefully now and give me an answer, then this will all be over.
[...]
I just need you to answer one question.

That's what this is really about, of course. We rock the boat, we become the scapegoat for the various sins of the whole police force.

The good news: our precison rank is up, meaning we do not get a game over. Bad news: everyone is pissed at as, and Jane is being followed. Worse news:

...we're fired. :v:

Welcome to our first ending guys, gals, and non-binary pals. This leaves us once again with a vote on where to go next. But since we got an ending and not a game over, I'll open it up to anywhere. Extra good news is that Reveilled has correctly guessed the special outcome for chapter 3, meaning you can just straight vote for it, no guessing required. And as a reward, they get to pick what we buy from the shop.

The shop lets us buy cosmetic extras for CIS with the "gold" we earn in the legal dungeon. They're pretty cute.

(Retsnom is a puzzle-platformer game also made by Somi. I have never played it.)

You can grind coins infinitely by replaying cases, so any of these are on the table, though I do reserve the right to be very bitter if you make me grind 99 coins right now, as there aren't any options available that let me get more than a few coins at a time. Have at it, Reveilled.

So, where do we want to go? Our options are:
1. Non-Indictment, Defamation (Prologue)
2. Indictment, Special Theft (Ch 1)
3. Special (Ch 1)
4. Non-Indictment, Aiding and Abetting Suicide (Ch 2)
5. Indictment, Manslaughter (Ch 3)

I'll leave you on the title screen, which updates with our endings and achievements. See you next time!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Here's something fun: clicking that big red plus mark now on the title screen has informed me that Somi has a new game coming out: The Wake. It looks interesting and I immediately added it to my wishlist, but the store page also informed me that wake will be the final entry of Somi's "Guilt Trilogy", of which Legal Dungeon was the second entry. I did not know any of this.

The first game is called Replica and I picked it up because it was only a few dollars and I was very curious. It has some thematic similarities to LD, but I would consider much more similar to Orwell. As in, its gameplay is more or less identical to Orwell, just limited to a single person's phone. I really like Orwell, though, so I don't mind much. I may spend an update or two quickly running through Replica at the end of the LP.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Happy to vote for my own policework :P

Indictment, Manslaughter (Ch 3)

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Happy to vote for my own policework :P

Of course! Any idea what you want to buy from the shop?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

yamiaainferno posted:

Of course! Any idea what you want to buy from the shop?

I'll take the LED decoration please!

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for figuring that one out! I'll also vote for Indictment, Manslaughter (Ch 3)

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Re: Special options, some stuff about the previous case doesn't quite add up to me.

[...]

Gourd murdered this man. I'm not sure if West helped cover it up.

Excellent detecting, here. Voting for this!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I’m voting for Indictment, Manslaughter (Ch 3)

I’m curious, does the game ever give hints on which cars have special solutions?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
Voting for Indictment, Manslaughter (Ch 3) because I'm playing this myself, and despite spotting the potential for it myself, I can't seem to put together a Manslaughter charge on them. What I'm saying, is I'm curious how you'll do it. That, and no one's made a guide that includes it, it seems.
...I've since discovered how. Like always, I overthought it. Still, it really does seem like the most 'correct' answer.

aerion111 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 4, 2020

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

aerion111 posted:

What I'm saying, is I'm curious how you'll do it. That, and no one's made a guide that includes it, it seems.
...I've since discovered how. Like always, I overthought it. Still, it really does seem like the most 'correct' answer.

Yeah, my guide (the only English one) stops before Ch3 because back in ye olden days before this LP I couldn't figure out how to do it. Even now I had to resort to squinting at the google translated version of the Chinese guide and a lot of trial and error. It's not complicated, just specific, which is annoying.

Damanation posted:

I'm curious, does the game ever give hints on which cars have special solutions?

You can look at the timeline itself to find patterns. Any case with an odd number of outcomes (Ch 1's three or Ch 3's five, for example) will definitely have a special solution. Additionally, once you've played through more than one outcome on a case, clicking it on the timeline will open a drop-down menu to allow you to quickly switch between previous outcomes, or restart the case. Solutions that you haven't reached are shown greyed-out, including special outcomes, marked by a star.

Our previous choices mean these three are the only ones we have access to currently, so they're the only ones displayed.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

yamiaainferno posted:

Yeah, my guide (the only English one) stops before Ch3 because back in ye olden days before this LP I couldn't figure out how to do it. Even now I had to resort to squinting at the google translated version of the Chinese guide and a lot of trial and error. It's not complicated, just specific, which is annoying.

It helps if you keep in mind you need to use the grey text. I think there's only that one quote non-highlit, though I didn't think about it until afterwards.

Some stuff in this game, I wish they'd at least give me a 'I see what you're going for, but it's wrong for this reason' kind of thing, like Danganronpa sometimes has. I've got the same problem, but to a much lesser extent, in Ace Attorney. At least there, looking back, I can see why I can't present the evidence yet (there's some assumption that seems obvious to me, but hasn't been established, for example. Or I'm skipping ahead and trying to prove two things at once)

Even in the first case... It really seems to me, it's not defamation. Not with the definition they gave.
If they'd kept the original 'System Whore', sure, that implies something. But 'Bacon poo poo' implies... They're a cop, and that you don't like cops. That's not defamatory. That's just an insult. That's being rude to a police officer.
I kinda feel like using a slur that implies something provably true (you can prove the officer is a cop with employment records, and even their own admission. The 'victim' even admitted to being in a police station, with other police) should not be defamation.
Saying that calling you 'Bacon poo poo' is defamation, with their definition of that crime, seems like saying that 'How dare they accuse me of being a cop, thereby making people around me view me as a cop!'
Also, it's not listed anywhere (unless I skimmed past it and forgot), but normally the truth is pretty good defense against defamation. Not always complete defense, but usually you need a specific crime (like 'insulting a governmental worker' or 'showing insufficient respect to the monarchy') to get around it, you can't cry 'defamation!' if you're a civilian and someone told the truth about you, in most countries, to my knowledge. In the US, it's specifically always a defense, to my understanding.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

aerion111 posted:

Also, it's not listed anywhere (unless I skimmed past it and forgot), but normally the truth is pretty good defense against defamation.

This is not the case in Korea, nor, I believe, in much of East Asia. The phrase "bacon poo poo" itself is nebulous for sure, but given that this game's transation isn't great to begin with, and there's very little localization, I don't place too much weight onto that. Especially since the charge is trumped up nonsense really only being used as leverage for the chairman's other lawsuit against the man.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Chapter III: "Duty to Protect" (Verdict: Indictment*)

Welcome back to Legal Dungeon, everyone! Today will be another shorter update, but we are at last proceeding forwards.

Our beautiful shiny LED decoration, proudly on display. It's Christmas in June, people!

The case proceeds as before until the last forge prompt. Here we combine Gourd's knowledge of Ringo having injuries on the back of his head and his previous attack against a homeless man to reach the needed conclusion.

I wasn't gonna bring this up, but there's something bothering me about your case.

Wh...what are you talking about?
This isn't about abandonment, you beat that man to death.
Where the hell did you come up with that? Where's your proof?
I don't have any, because you took my focus away from the real crime, a master of misdirection.

I don't think I'd give him that much credit, but ok Jane.

That's...well, let's see... I heard it from Hank Gibson!
He only knew about the facial bleeding, not the hemorrhage.
drat it...
This case has been upgraded to manslaughter. You're guilty!

I do find it impressive that Reveilled pretty much hit the nail exactly on the head with their guess. I would have accepted anything along the lines of Gourd murdering Ringo, but they really knocked it out of the park.

And hey, for once, we're not being yelled and and berated after a case!

...but now he confessed to assault during the prosecution's investigation. Don’t you feel helpless when you hear these things?
[...]
I mean, if they can make a deal using the suspect's sentence, how hard can it be to investigate?
We have to scrounge for evidence, pressure the suspects, then cajole them... it's unfair.
[...]
But still, congratulations, Team Leader.
[...]

Since it‘s a problem with a single employee, the county can simply cut off the rotten end without much damage.
Thank you for giving us this opportunity.
[...]
Yeah, I think I can make it with these points.
[...]

I had an epiphany thanks to this case.
[...]
How to fish, that is.

Again with the fishing metaphor. Predictably, we'll find out what Vetta means next case.

Results posted:

1st Jun: Lieutenant Jane Blue, forwarded the verdict of indictment regarding the suspect on the charge of manslaughter.
17th Jun: Prosecutor Hans Dutch, indicted the suspect.
13th Aug: First trial Sentenced to four years in prison, defendant appealed.
5th Sep: Second trial appeal dismissed, 4-year sentence confirmed.

quote:

"The defendant committed violent crime against an inebriated and sleeping victim who could not defend himself, and the method used was cruel and the injury severe. Furthermore, the defendant did not try to help the bleeding victim, such as taking him to the hospital, after the crime... and abandoned the victim on a rainy street, so the charge of manslaughter is acknowledged. Therefore, the defendant is guilty."

That went well! I don't know you you guys, but I'm feeling pretty good--

Well, that's a little harsh. He confessed!

Regardless of the game's judgement, we've gotten our first acheivement and our first key! Keys can be used on the lock symbols on the timeline. These are hidden dialogues that usually illuminate something about the plot. Since we haven't run into any locks yet, I'll probably just use this on the first one we come across.

Achievements also change our title screen! They show up as medals on Jane's uniform. I'll leave you with our snazzy new digs. Until next time!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Success! :toot:

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
The game recently went on sale on Steam, so I must admit I now own the game thanks to this thread. This ought to be interesting to go through just slightly ahead once I catch up... if I prove more competent than I was in the first case, where I promptly forgot how to respond to "Bacon poo poo isn't an insult!" despite reading the entire thread beforehand :v:

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

So...some stuff sure has happened. It’s been a while, for a variety of reasons— I started working again, for one, and then George Floyd was murdered and I was angry and sad and not in any kind of mood to play a game about corrupt police. I had been trying to work myself up to get the next case up when the forums themselves decided they might as well blow up too.

I don’t really know what the future of this LP is, currently. I’m skeptical that the community will survive an exodus from SA, since the attrition and fragmentation rates will be extremely high. I’m not sure if I want to continue it at all, honestly. It’s a game that makes you feel bad, and while I think it tells an important story, it’s definitely a slog in a year where nothing is going to go well at all, apparently. At the same time I hate to give up on my first LP, especially one that saw a lot more engagement than I ever expected.

We’ll see, I guess. When/if I decide something, I’ll let people know.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thanks for the LP, hope you land on your feet

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If nothing else, at least we ended on the high note of actually bringing someone who had preyed upon the vulnerable in society to justice. The LP was very worthy but its very understandable that with everything right now you might not want to continue it.

If it makes you feel any better, I abandoned my first LP too. Can happen to all of us. Then my second LP wrapped up prematurely when the main developer got outed as an abuser, so, like, deja vu.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

tomanton posted:

Thanks for the LP, hope you land on your feet

Echoing the above. I've really enjoyed the work you've put into the LP, but don't keep going if it feels like a slog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This LP has been really good. I hope you land on your feet too.