Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also speaking of vr idk if this is just a mozilla thing but i'm getting tired of every other website asking for vr access.

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you've seen websites but have you seen websites ... VIRTUALLY???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i remember that ?webgl? plugin that showed the page in 3d like with every div being a little playing card type thing and you'd get the very javascript sites with like the giant piles of mostly empty divs just stacked on top of each other. Probably be worse now.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

is vrml still a thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Share Bear posted:

is vrml still a thing

i wish it was

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it got promoted to x3d which was promptly ignored by everyone who needed something like that in favor of webgl

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

also speaking of vr idk if this is just a mozilla thing but i'm getting tired of every other website asking for vr access.

why

it’s for browser fingerprinting op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Share Bear posted:

is vrml still a thing

nah. gltf now covers the actual 3d contents very competently, but the broader declarative rendering/scene stuff has been replaced with various ad-hoc javascript webgl 3d engines.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
i use firefox on my:
- ipone
- m1 macbook air
- desktop windows pc

i don't really like it that much, but i don't wanna sell my soul to goog either..

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

why

fingerprinting

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

rotor posted:

i remember that ?webgl? plugin that showed the page in 3d like with every div being a little playing card type thing and you'd get the very javascript sites with like the giant piles of mostly empty divs just stacked on top of each other. Probably be worse now.

i'm pretty sure you'd immediately die if you used that to gaze upon facebook's deliberately obfuscated renderings

Jenny Agutter posted:

it’s for browser fingerprinting op

my stepdads beer posted:

fingerprinting

gfdi

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm pretty sure you'd immediately die if you used that to gaze upon facebook's deliberately obfuscated renderings

gfdi

aah yes: google facebook digg instagram

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Workaday Wizard posted:

aah yes: google facebook digg instagram
the four classical elements

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

the four classical elements

It's 2044. An elderly chinese man looks in your eye, feels your bicep and forearm. You couldn't afford insurance after Gamestop hiked the prices last May so you're trying traditional chinese medicine. He prods your stomach, a pain shoots through you. Ulcer, maybe? You hope he doesn't want to do acupuncture. You hate needles.

"So, um, Mr. Fung, what do you, uh, what.." you stammer out before he interrupts you, turning toward the jars of dried herbs "Is no big deal, you just have too much instagram in your system. Drink ginger tea in morning for two weeks. You be fine."

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i wish there was an option where websites would try to ask for location or if you have light sensors or something and then your browser is like "ok sure" but then it gives them fake info and facebook is none the wiser

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

a browser plugin that feeds it the GPS coordinates of various zuckerberg residences

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

why

firefox provides, op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really appreciate microsofts foray into expanding edge autofill into the authenticator app for a full password manager. should have gone on 1password an age ago, but now kind of got it sorted out for me.

if my authenticator app or synced edge data got breached i would have been 100% screwed anyway, so just as well to make it convenient.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

firefox provides, op

ty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

i wish there was an option where websites would try to ask for location or if you have light sensors or something and then your browser is like "ok sure" but then it gives them fake info and facebook is none the wiser

this would be a really good feature. just randomize the data given any time one of these requests comes in. there's no reason for any website to know anything about my browser configuration beyond the user agent.

not even window size. "responsive" sites suck rear end

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

firefox does that now which is nice

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/06/firefox-67-with-anti-fingerprinting-technique-letterboxing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

again: firefox is the least bad browser

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
what’s what browser plug-in that clicks all ads in the background

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i figured out the issue where some embedded videos weren't working. firefox's tracking protection was preventing it. interesting because youtube embeds here won't work but twitter's will. so actually it's firefox doing it's job and it's the hosts that suck

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

firefox is the least bad browser

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

this is a thing in the chome dev tools as well so you can visualise how your dom is stacking :grin:

at least it was a few years ago

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
something something dom something something on top

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
*ahem*

FEWERzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist