Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arcticmog

Goona get you!
Today I will be running the...47th session of a campaign for an online group I DM for (I also DM in real life). It’s 5th edition with a little bit of home Brew. The story follows an adventuring group all looking to either aquire coin so they can travel to distant lands or for their own special goals, especially the religiously inspired characters. They went from being a very innocent and small party of new players to currently invading the home of an archfey with the express intent of rescuing(or kidnapping depending on how you look at it) said arch fey’s mortal lover. They have grown to be magnificent murder hobos. One went from merely wishing to establish a shrine to their deity to plotting the removal and destruction of the shard of evil from the abyss, another went from being a chaste priest who worshiped an overgod (big no no in case your a non dnd player for a player character to do) to becoming the patriarch of a semi-secret cult dedicated to pleasure and perfection and copious amounts of nsfw activity. Another seeks to just prank the entire world repeatedly for as long as they live. They managed to force a twin headed adult green dragon they defeated into turning good (through some very powerful magic).

Also I’m gonna be eating a delicious pizza while running the session, will hopefully post picture of it when I finish making it. Got any pizza and or DND stories (preferably both) yobbers and lurking goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander

A friend of mine once made a samurai character and in the description part of the character sheet wrote that he weighed 300+ pounds or something without realizing that it was a lot more than he thought for his height. Once we discovered this, rather than being like "oops haha that was a mistake," the samurai underwent an exercise regimen to lose weight gradually. The samurai's name was Pizzacat.

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
It's pen and paper, but not DND. I once managed to accidentally min-max myself an elemental healer that was so powerful that an entire army could be picked up and hurled over a mountain with the forces of the wind I could bring.

I could heal anyone I wanted from anything less than "injuries incompatible with life", like severed heads or whatever.

The problem with this is that bringing multiple tornados worth of air at someone in a sealed off sewer system results in positive pressure strong enough to literally turn you into a compressed bit of hamburger before Blowing The Whole drat City Up. I was hit so hard I died immediately, no being downed, no nothing. The rest of my party ended up dying with me. The lich looking motherfucker I was looking to kill? Literally dusted. I still see that as a victory. I died by one hitpoint. I also had the best wings of my life while giggling over my first real party wipe.

Yinlock

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's pen and paper, but not DND. I once managed to accidentally min-max myself an elemental healer that was so powerful that an entire army could be picked up and hurled over a mountain with the forces of the wind I could bring.

I could heal anyone I wanted from anything less than "injuries incompatible with life", like severed heads or whatever.

tbf this would be a mid-tier d&d 3.5 wizard

ferroque

my warlock used to be a lawyer and is now a bog body.

ferroque

the first thing i came up with for personality quirks were that he hated bad smells and complained about bad smelling things a lot etc. This has honestly done more to define his character than anything else

Goons Are Gifts

In my Shadowrun group there's an orc who decided to have specific skills and special weapons and that resulted in his focus on doors. He uses doors as weapons whenever possible, smashing through them and hitting whoever is behind that door, taking a door out of its place and use it as a melee weapon, or blow everything up and take the door remains to stab people. He also has an emotional investment in doors, once he cried while hugging a door after losing a friend in battle and he build tires on a door to ride into battle that way.
He's currently training to invest in a metal door which he wants to carry along everywhere as a regular weapon. He's just a door guy.

arcticmog

Goona get you!

Goons Are Great posted:

In my Shadowrun group there's an orc who decided to have specific skills and special weapons and that resulted in his focus on doors. He uses doors as weapons whenever possible, smashing through them and hitting whoever is behind that door, taking a door out of its place and use it as a melee weapon, or blow everything up and take the door remains to stab people. He also has an emotional investment in doors, once he cried while hugging a door after losing a friend in battle and he build tires on a door to ride into battle that way.
He's currently training to invest in a metal door which he wants to carry along everywhere as a regular weapon. He's just a door guy.

So what your telling me is that he is a massive Dorc ;)

Finger Prince

I haven't played pen and paper d&d in probably decades, but the one memorable character I had was a half orc barbarian with 20 strength and maybe 4 intelligence. He was stupidly OP and singlehandedly rescued the party from a horde of skeletons by smashing them all to dust with his two handed war hammer while all the pointy-weapon types poked helplessly at them. Although he was dumb as a rock, he was curious about why the smarty guy that made lights and sparkles and stuff was always looking at those book things, and with the help of some of the brighter and charitable party members set about the task of learning to read as the levels went by (with the goal of eventually raising his INT score to something functional). After beating the big bad who escaped through a portal at the end of one story arc, we found an ensorcelled spellbook which the party wizard claimed for himself, but dared not open because of the powerful warding magics on it. Fast forward, we travel on to this town (dwarven or elven I can't remember), where they wouldn't let my guy in on account of him being a half orc and them being extremely racist against orcs. So I was left to guard the camp outside the town while the party went in and got their urban exploration on. Still curious about these weird book things, and wanting to practice my new reading skills, I go through the wizard's stuff and find the looted spellbook and attempt to read it. Turned out the ward on it was a delayed blast fireball. Turned out DM rolled a critical hit on it when it went off. It knocked me down to -9 hit points and, probably through DM mercy, the party came back that evening to find my smouldering unconscious hulk with the spellbook open beside me. Took a lot of healing to get me back alive. Unfortunately the campaign petered out after that, but it would have been a cool way to transition my barbarian to some kind of anti-magic forsaker prestige class, plus give the wizard earlier than anticipated access to that spellbook.

Goons Are Gifts

arcticmog posted:

So what your telling me is that he is a massive Dorc ;)

That's literally his name and I didn't get that until just now, oh my god

Khanstant
Group of people from work gather to play DnD, we're doing the official giants campaign rn. We got a street urchin crow arrokoa rogue with a pet plate armored rat, some mysterious rogue who doesn't sleep or tell us anything about himself, a druid wildshaping halfelf, tiefling warlock, merchant-cleric halforc, and my communist tiefling paladin that draws power from his commitment to the working class. This past monday I got myself some new Boots of Winter Whatever when I went into an armorshop complaining that my chainmail feels as the chains the nobles use to keep us down. I had only little gold and random crap and some immoveable rod, and adventure souvenirs. I really enjoy my character but I be dying a lot, hope I make it through because heroic sacrifice is a risky way of life.

Soul Reaver

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I never played D&D but a friend of mine ran a couple of Advanced Fighting Fantasy/Dungeoneer campaigns for myself and another friend. The mechanics of that system are poorly thought out but I like how rules-lite it is.

I played as a big stern warrior with an axe and a penchant for spiky plate armour.
My fried played a giggling mentally unbalanced Necromancer with a particular liking for fire.

Very early in our adventure we ended up in a barroom brawl. My Necromancer friend tried to set an assailant on fire but his spell misfired and set my character's hair on fire instead.
Rather than putting it out I decided to just take the damage while my character picked up a barrel of strong spirits, smashed it over my assailant, then headbutted him for maximum fire damage.

My character was bald after that incident.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 18, 2020

arcticmog

Goona get you!
Forgot to take a pic of the pizza....it was cheesy stuff crust pizza with plenty of pepperoni :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcticmog

Goona get you!

Soul Reaver posted:

I never played D&D but a friend of mine ran a couple of Advanced Fighting Fantasy/Dungeoneer campaigns for myself and another friend. The mechanics of that system are poorly thought out but I like how rules-lite it is.

I played as a big stern warrior with and axe and a penchant for spiky plate armour.
My fried played a giggling mentally unbalanced Necromancer with a particular liking for fire.

Very early in our adventure we ended up in a barroom brawl. My Necromancer friend tried to set an assailant on fire but his spell misfired and set my character's hair on fire instead.
Rather than putting it out I decided to just take the damage while my character picked up a barrel of strong spirits, smashed it over my assailant, then headbutted him for maximum fire damage.

My character was bald after that incident.

The main purpose of rules beyond basic balance and the base structure of the game, is to reduce how much the DM actually has to decide, rules lite means the DM will be deciding what, where and when is possible to a massive degree. It also helps maintain a semi consistent experience with how the universe's work when playing with other dms and interpretations of rules. As long as players are having fun, the rules and balance is working (the literal design philosophy behind 5e DND, deliberately making players OP where it feels good, prior editions made classes like clerics essentially HP banks, in 5e they are a last line for characters falling in combat as well as a main fighting class themselves)