Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Christ, what a decade.

There was a lot, and you could count on there always being political cartoons commenting on it. But political cartooning is a decaying business, composed of mostly legacy positions filled by hacks who are long past their heyday but continue to pump out crap because their editors are likely going to close the position when they die or retire. The internet has given way to some hope for a new breed of independent cartoonists, and there is legitimately good work out there, but then you have loving alt-right Nazis pumping out content and Sturgeon's Law has never rung so true.

The voting is simple: the nominees are what you the people voted as the worst cartoon every year. To provide something positive in here, there is also a list of the best Edit or Parody for each year.

There is one hitch: the annual awards began in 2012, leaving gaps in the nominations. So here's how it will work: nominations for those missing years will go on until next Sunday. Then another week to vote for the worst/best of those years. Then we'll have the final list and vote.

Need help with nominations? Check out the old threads:
2012 Thread (Edit/Parody Only)
2011 Thread
2010 Thread

And now, here are the current nominees:

Worst Cartoon

The fact that Gorrell actually decided it was worth putting effort into this cartoon using a horrific violation of human rights as a metaphor for the most banal of political opinions, really helped it win the aware for worst of 2019.

Best Edit/Parody

Pilchenstein knew that you never bet against Johnny Five Aces, leading to a win for this lovely Garrison edit.

Worst Cartoon

Delonas and grotesque take on the Kavanaugh confirmation allowed him to take the 2018 award with ease.

Best Edit/Parody

This uncredited edit of Garrison's cult-like devotion to Trump won the hearts of goons that same year.

Worst Cartoon

Glenn McCoy may no longer do political cartoons, but he left his mark with this tone-deaf take on the Rockwell classic. Conseratives have a weird fixation with The Problem We All Live With.

Best Edit/Parody

My send-up of the numerous terrible anti-antifa fascist comics that we got in 2017 was this little number.

Worst Cartoon

A toxic slurry of misogyny, racism, and transphobia led this Garrison to take the win over his other cartoon which was also runner-up.

Best Edit/Parody

World Famous W showed us that sometimes simple is best with this beautiful Branco edit.

Worst Cartoon

Lang's grotesque cartoon felt like a throwback to the new racist era spawned in the wake 9/11 as opposed to something from 2015.

Best Edit/Parody

My Net Neutrality edits actually generated some very mild attention outside the thread. Well, at least my fifteen minutes of fame went towards a good cause.

Worst Cartoon

Police violence was finally breaking into mainstream news, and the thread reminded Ramirez that ACAB.

Best Edit/Parody

Saint Sputnik's Ye Fowl Herald is a long-running treat for the thread, and in 2014 he got the nod for this fantastic series.

Worst Cartoon

Ramirez's ghoulish cartoon trying to spin Benghazi into 9/11, complete with weird internal logic, easily took it in 2013.

Best Edit/Parody

A Hungry Mouth opened the bud gates to give us this amazing piece of work.

Worst Cartoon

Gary McCoy managed to prove his inferiority by getting the award before his brother in this misogyny-ridden piece of filth.

Edit/Parody Award TBD!

Worst Cartoon TBD!

Edit/Parody Award TBD!

Worst Cartoon TBD!

Edit/Parody Award TBD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I don’t have a copy, but will someone please post “just making sure there are no survivors?” Unless that was from before 2010, in which case never mind.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The thing about years before 2012 is that Asay hadn't retired yet. How can people with mere mortal hatred compete?

Nomination for worst cartoon of 2011:

Chuck Asay responds with sensitivity and tact to far-right terrorist Anders Breivik killing 77 people in Norway.

That said his 2010 comics were a little more muted so there's room for competitors. He had a lot of bad takes on the proposed repeal of DADT, but I'm not sure any of them were quite awful enough to deserve nomination. A few lowlights if anyone wants to champion one:

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 19, 2020

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Worst Cartoon

Delonas and grotesque take on the Kavanaugh confirmation allowed him to take the 2018 award with ease.

This continues to be the worst cartoon I've ever seen, it should win in a landslide

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That Delonas cartoon was particularly hilariously timed because right before it was posted the thread was talking about how Delonas is actually kind of okay sometimes and then that dropped :stare:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Was it the 2012 or 2013 runner-up edit that had the 18th century political cartoon caricature of obama that ended with "and I hate thee"? That one was really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NRVNQSR posted:

Chuck Asay responds with sensitivity and tact to far-right terrorist Anders Breivik killing 77 people in Norway.

Seconding this nomination. Goddamn this evil old gently caress.

Nomination for Best Edit of 2011:
A HUNGRY MOUTH's edit of this terrible picture.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What year was the 'toon of two cops that shot a monkey that was supposed to be Obama?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What year was the 'toon of two cops that shot a monkey that was supposed to be Obama?

2009 so just outside of the decade.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Am I not mistaken or was Mike Lester at one point fired for a horrible cartoon, or was that related to his DV arrest?

already in use
Nov 17, 2019
Delurking in spite of common sense just for the occasion and because I wanted to ensure some old thread favourites were at least acknowledged here.

Specifically Diversity Lane, which surprisingly is still up at https://www.diversitylane.wordpress.com. From the poison pen of Zack Rawsthorne I would like to submit this nomination for worst cartoon of 2010:

Feel free to fumble through the cesspool for an alternative.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Delany's 2018 submission is the most viscerally revolting, but Ramirez in 2014 is pretty loving vile as well. Reading this thread is going to be an uphill struggle.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jurgan posted:

I don’t have a copy, but will someone please post “just making sure there are no survivors?” Unless that was from before 2010, in which case never mind.
That and Obama zipping up his fly while walking away from a sperm bank on the Mexican border while brown ladies line up to enter it are the two that sprung instantly to mind. Any wizards want to dig those up?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That and Obama zipping up his fly while walking away from a sperm bank on the Mexican border while brown ladies line up to enter it are the two that sprung instantly to mind. Any wizards want to dig those up?

Turns out mine was from 2008, so never mind. I'm sure the one you mentioned won a Gaybie, though, or at least was nominated.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They're both pretty easy to google for, but "no survivors" was from 2008 and the sperm bank one was from 2014 so they're not helpful for 2010 or 2011.

2010 feels like it was a bit of a milquetoast year; glancing through Cagle's archives hasn't brought anything on the level of the decade's other years. Still, I think these two both deserve dishonorable mentions:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I click on the 2010 thread and go to a random page and get goatse'd.

2010 had this great Asay but it looks like a much older one from the early nineties.

2010 is when Bar Bee croaked. So maybe some of his poo poo might make an entry!

Edit/Parody Award
:nws:
https://imgur.com/wFAhE.jpg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

But wait, it gets worse. I was so angry with that cartoon that I touched the poop and sent him an email. This is the response I got:

quote:

Thanks very much for your thoughtful email. Yes, I can understand how many people (and I've heard back from some folks) who are offended by the cartoon. I suppose, in some way, I am blaming the victim a bit by drawing the contrast between the Vikings of old with the people of Norway today. I cannot understand why the security guard on the island was unarmed. It surprises me that there doesn't seem to be much outrage about the incident coming from the people of Norway. All I've seen in the American press are people crying (which is very reasonable) and lots of flowers and candles being placed on the ground. The story that set my mind to work on the cartoon was a statement by your leaders showing conviction about not losing the welcoming and peaceful image of the nation. I think Mr. Breivik should be tried as a war criminal like we tried Nazi murders after WWll. We have many people in the U.S. who still will not recognize civilized people are at war with terrorists...Muslim and secular. The only people our liberals can call a terrorists here are people who are in the conservative Tea Party movement. The attached cartoon is directed at our own Attorney General, Eric Holder who insists we need to give Muslim Jihadists, we are holding here, a very public trial (a stage to the world that your Mr. Breivik would like) with all the rights that citizens have in this country. I'm against that. I think our judicial systems are soft and fuzzy which places more innocent people at risk. I recognize we may have different world views but my hope is that people of all nations stiffen their spines and stand up against those who target innocent people to win power. Thanks again for your email. You write very well. Best wishes. Chuck
gently caress Chuck, for me this is the worst cartoon of the decade.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
drat shame Asay retired. I'd looooove to see his version of neocon boomer-brain reasoning for defending Trump.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Whoolighams posted:

drat shame Asay retired. I'd looooove to see his version of neocon boomer-brain reasoning for defending Trump.

One of Asay's tricks was that he rarely depicted actual political figures, and focused more on the down-to-earth, Joe Everyman perspective to news. So, he'd probably do what a lot of other conservative cartoonists do - he'd focus on the oh-so-crazy Liberal Loonies that are angry, therefore wrong. No need to defend Trump directly, just attack his attackers.

But yes, I'm also disappointed he retired relatively early into the decade. There were a ton of his cartoons that came to mind when I saw the thread title, but were released in the 00's. Dude was a monster.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Whoolighams posted:

Left panel/it used to be: Democrats rallying behind Bush or Reagan, acknowledging the will of the people.

Right panel/now it's: Democrats colluding with Satanic islamo-communists to impeach Trump. One of them says something about defeating democracy while a horrified WASP-stand-in looks on.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Pants Donkey posted:

Best Edit/Parody

Pilchenstein knew that you never bet against Johnny Five Aces, leading to a win for this lovely Garrison edit.

Slight misattribution here. I'm the one who made this edit, not Pilchenstein! (Also holy poo poo i got edit of the year, nice?? Thanks everyone!)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That gang rape one is so utterly appalling I'm surprised I've never seen it mentioned even in passing in normal, non-comic threads

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Worst Cartoon

Glenn McCoy may no longer do political cartoons, but he left his mark with this tone-deaf take on the Rockwell classic. Conseratives have a weird fixation with The Problem We All Live With.

This is not the original, where is the one before he edited out his fuckup with the armbands lmao one of them was "True Racism" that stupid gently caress didn't even know what was going on

Edit: I take it back I'm confusing it with this one

Regardless these morons are cut from the same cloth

Lemming fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 27, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

McCoy's DeVos bullshit is my go-to example for The Worst Piece of Art Ever Made. This is not a hyperbole. It is utterly devoid of merit on every level and the fact some idiots think it's actually a decent take proves there is no such thing as objective standards in art. I hate it so much I could write paragraphs about why it's just a complete failure from every perspective. But I won't, I'll just leave it at this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SSNeoman posted:

McCoy's DeVos bullshit is my go-to example for The Worst Piece of Art Ever Made. This is not a hyperbole. It is utterly devoid of merit on every level and the fact some idiots think it's actually a decent take proves there is no such thing as objective standards in art. I hate it so much I could write paragraphs about why it's just a complete failure from every perspective. But I won't, I'll just leave it at this.

It even got its own wikipedia page for being so bad and causing so much outrage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trying_to_Trash_Betsy_DeVos

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Someone on here made an edit of Obama running up with a bat and hitting a pregnant woman with it and then running off. Said Obama was lifted from a comic or him standing in a dumpster full of aborted fetuses smashing them for whatever.

Does anyone else remember this one? Or by any chance have it?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

It even got its own wikipedia page for being so bad and causing so much outrage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trying_to_Trash_Betsy_DeVos

I still don't understand what it's trying to say.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CHEF!!! posted:

Someone on here made an edit of Obama running up with a bat and hitting a pregnant woman with it and then running off. Said Obama was lifted from a comic or him standing in a dumpster full of aborted fetuses smashing them for whatever.

Does anyone else remember this one? Or by any chance have it?

It was a Lester- the caption was "just making sure there aren't any survivors".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apologies if I missed an announcement, but when does actual voting start?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

That one was loving metal so I don't know what it has to do with this thread. We also got to see Lester I mean McCoy empathizing with a dumpster, which was fun.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 3, 2020

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Discendo Vox posted:

Nope, Glenn McCoy.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/08/dear-lord-glenn-mccoy-one-nasty-cartoon/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

my apologies, I got my scrawlers mixed up.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Pants Donkey posted:

Worst Cartoon

Holy poo poo I can't believe I missed this and all the pants-on-the-ground edits it must have inspired.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

What year was Ebola Gay, the best political cartoon of all time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Mae posted:

What year was Ebola Gay, the best political cartoon of all time?

2014. Incidentally, in searching "Michael Ramirez Ebola Gay" I came across this trio of letters to the editor from the 2004 LA Times.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-mar-30-le-brook30-story.html