Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you decide to really go for it and paste Moscow, does the game model the Dead Hand system or can you actually disrupt a Soviet response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
So this is it really. Either they bottle and we win, or the world ends.

But let's remember, they started it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Time to catch the last flight to New Zeeland then I guess.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Magdeburg and Prague flights shot down.

Guess we'll have to nuke them again next turn :v:

Can we get screenshots of every theater before the Russians nuke us in retaliation? I want to see how well the Italians are doing before they experience nuclear death. Also what HQ was in Minsk that wouldn't have been in Moscow or Leningrad?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i certainly don't feel like the french strike was in keeping with french nuclear doctrine but whatever, it's a game and people can do what they want!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i certainly don't feel like the french strike was in keeping with french nuclear doctrine but whatever, it's a game and people can do what they want!

Generally I believe it was. The idea behind the French developing weapons like the Mirage 2000N and the ASMP missile was to deploy what would be called a prestrategic weapon. You make the conquest or destruction of France so painful that no one would want to do it.the "warning shot" of a single strike on a strategic target was designed to give pause before any strategic exchange. While using the same doctrine to defend Europe wasn't exactly written, I don't think it was unreasonable, especially considering the warning given and previous use by the soviets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i think the doctrinal application of the warning shot is correct, i just don't think that France would respond with nuclear weapons after the Soviets struck Cyprus

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It seems not unreasonable in context. The soviets had consistently been escalating day by day, after countervalue in Jordan and counterforce in Cyprus, the only escalation options left were nukes in Europe. I could definitely see France coming to the conclusion if they didn't do this then the USSR would tac nuke all down the front line, which is practically the French border by this point.

Of course, if the Soviets aren't shocked into calling the whole thing off by this, then the resulting counterstrike is going to wipe everything, but oh well, at least our ashes won't be communist ashes.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Although I will get the turn soon, my opponent might be out for 1 to 2 weeks. In the meantime, I'm thinking an adapted FNG episode interlude. Let me know your character name. If you weren't in FNG. Just give me the name of a generic guy in any NATO army for our super elite cool special ops interlude. Also choose where we will be. (We’ll be NATO soldiers through and through. Maybe some weird hodgepodge international unit. Who cares? It’s a game!)

Norway
Kuwait
Germany
Albania
Soviet Union
Northern Ireland

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 5, 2020

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So wait if there's a human opponent then what caused the turn failure last time?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Kavak posted:

So wait if there's a human opponent then what caused the turn failure last time?

As I said previously

quote:

The issue of the bug is that when the scenario was created, there was an 80% chance of nuclear weapons being authorized when I clicked "authorize nuclear weapons". Unfortunately, that also means that the 20% of the time it doesn't initiate, but attempting to reload revealed that perhaps TOAW has a weird way of doing RNG, because when I tried it twenty times in a pure scenario, it worked three times. So if I did my math right, something that should have triggered 3/4ths of the time is now triggering 1/32 of the time. Needless to say, having to game the system repeatedly to get this to work means a lot of RNG variables will be different. Therefore, rolling back the update is the best plan. So nobody gets to freak out yet! Sorry all!

I got the turn back from said opponent. We had an agreement that he would (mostly) try to replicate the same conditions of the match and things that he did that turn. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember exactly what he did, (which is not surprising. There are hundreds of units to shuffle around) there would be random air attacks on units causing movements to change, and some units would be reorganizing while others weren't. The air war would have wildly different variables. Battles that utilize the weird die rolling system of TOAW would have wildly different outcomes. Since this wasn't tenable to try and work with, we just agreed to roll it back and try again. Since we are using the honor system of sharing saves instead of PBEM to fix bugs like this, I would get the turn back and find out that it wasn't working. I then tested the scenario on my own repeatedly to find out what was happening.

e: I was originally planning on keeping the human opponent a surprise until the end but things just did not work out that way. Don't worry, they are not a goon and they are not spying.

e2: Although with almost every country activated this scenario would work fine with AI. Yugoslavia would be the only problem, and I can assure you if you thought the nuclear weapons now were bad imagine what’s going to happen when the AI just uses them as assault breakers :gonk:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 5, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Also choose where we will be.

Soviet Union or East Germany.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Soviet Union

(also Karl and Emil Nygard the Minnesotan Swedish-Americans never made it off the waiting list in FNG but I guess they're still on that)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

How are we going to do FNG for World War III and not have it in Germany? Also LOL at having our draftees wind up being 20-year lifer fucks.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I had the character David Gordon Wilson in FNG whose comfortable, wealthy, empty upbringing led him to sign up for an Officer's commission in Vietnam due to a coin toss. He still hasn't found what he's looking for. But it's not in Germany.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Soviet Union because their uniforms are by far the snazziest.

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

i had Pfc. Sébastien 'Seb' Dempsey in FNG! im thinking a trip to Germany would be nice this time of year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Germany edges. I'll be working on an FNG scenario and hopefully my opponent will be back soon! We will be part of the 10th MP Brigade, as we hunt for Czechoslovak Special Forces near the Swiss border. Our soldiers are
Lt. Col Guthrie having survived Vietnam and hoping to just go home, Guthrie has been recalled and is forced into action once again, this time as an officer.
Cpt. Wilson, was recalled into active service under broad sweeping acts by President Reagan.
SFC Dempsey, a veteran from Vietnam, this New Orleans Police Captain finds himself back in the green uniform again.
Sgt. Karl and Emil Nygard, serving only their brief tour of duty in a mostly garrison role, reenlisted during the Second Berlin Crisis.

We will have a few other fresh faces. Let's hope everyone lives! This is played solitaire.