Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Someone made an effortpost about this some months ago. While it was definitely for cost reduction, there's also a deliberate tradeoff - old Pyrex (borosilicate) is prone to shattering into a few sharp shards when dropped, but new Pyrex (soda-lime glass) can withstand that better in return for shattering into more pieces, hopefully less sharp, with thermal shock.

So if you're planning on moving a lot or you're clumsy, new Pyrex is better for you. But if you regularly put a hot dish on a cold stovetop or a marble counter, old Pyrex is better for you.

(Modern European Pyrex is still borosilicate so that counts as "old Pyrex".)

There’s also pyroceram, sold by Corning as “Visions” cookware.

It’s something like borosilicate on steroids—more thermally resistant, even more violent when it does crack.

I don’t know if it’s more or less susceptible to breaking when dropped or struck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The major difference with car brands is you need the brand name to remain 'respected', and since cars are big purchases (often an emotional one) you have to keep that brand name strong.

This reminds me of one of my favorite local news stories:

https://wtkr.com/2019/05/01/ford-chevy-dispute-leaves-3-people-shot-at-virginia-home-prosecutors-say/

quote:

A dispute that started with the age-old argument about the superiority of Ford versus Chevy trucks ended in gunfire, leaving multiple people shot at a Virginia home, prosecutors say.

The hilarious thing is that you know these guys are probably frothing morons that only buy 'Murican trucks so they can plaster flags and "these colors don't run" stickers all over them.

I have owned two cars in my life. My first was a Ford; my current is a Chevy. The Ford said right on the inside-the-door sticker "Manufactured by Mazda". My Chevy says "Manufactured in Mexico". Fine All-American cars, both!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My Chevy says "Manufactured in Mexico". Fine All-American cars, both!

Mexico is part of America.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Pyrex is another brand where their old stuff is as good as ever, but they sold out and their modern stuff is just junk. Sad result to a legendary and iconic brand.

The Pyrex thing catches a LOT of people who make homemade soaps. The old Pyrex can easily handle the lye reaction, but the new stuff tends to explode violently. People just see "get Pyrex" and buy the new stuff, not knowing what could happen.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Platystemon posted:

What’s the difference between photos two and three? I would say “probably biocides again”, but this time they both have the same mould claims. They do list different materials they’re supposed to stick to, so maybe they have different cure chemistry. Who knows? GE loves confusing branding.

Looks like 2 is interior and 3 is exterior, so I'd imagine the difference is a good dose of UV stabilizers.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The Pyrex thing catches a LOT of people who make homemade soaps. The old Pyrex can easily handle the lye reaction, but the new stuff tends to explode violently. People just see "get Pyrex" and buy the new stuff, not knowing what could happen.

Lyes :argh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Kodak and Polaroid end up on a lot of absolute garbage these days. Although maybe now that Polaroid cameras are in a mini-comeback they'll at least right the ship a bit.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

JEEVES420 posted:

When the cashiers can't even do simple mental math to make change why would you pay them 50k a year.

gently caress you boot licker

E: reconsidered my position and yeah people deserve to slave five days a week so they can go home to live in capitalist induced poverty. gently caress you, you absolute jackass.

Agrinja has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Mar 12, 2020

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Here's a good tip that some of us have brought up in tech discussions: When looking for a new laptop, look for refurbished business laptops.

Your regular consumer-grade laptop is produced for 6 months and then forgotten by the manufacturer, made of plastic, and held together with glue and about 60 screws of different sizes, usually with everything soldered to the motherboard in one lump and a glossy as hell screen where you can look at yourself and reflect the failures of your life.

A business laptop has next business day parts availability from the manufacturer for at least five years, is built modular with regular socketed parts with mostly one screw size throughout so that it can be serviced quickly by a field tech. They have glorious matte screens meant for use in office environments, are built with metal frames, and usually come with i5 or i7 CPUs. Even a two or three year old one will easily outperform a new consumer PC. Keyboards and touchpads are better and meant for years of abuse, and you might be lucky and catch some with next business day on site service or accident coverage.

Look for Dell Latitudes or Precisions, or Thinkpad T, W, X or P series. Both manufacturers have outlet stores online, or can be bought from eBay resellers.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Elon Musk?

Close. Kimbal Musk! Wikipedia says he's no longer on the board of Chipotle though.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Cheez Whiz ain't what it used to be, imo.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

There are reasons to follow “organic” that aren’t a fear of science, but rather a reaction to GMOs role in patent law and “unpatented”/“open-source” isn’t a selling point I often see on food.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/feb/12/monsanto-sues-farmers-seed-patents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowman_v._Monsanto_Co.
The same companies also have huge shares in the organic seed market. They'll go wherever the money is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Agrinja posted:

gently caress you boot licker

E: reconsidered my position and yeah people deserve to slave five days a week so they can go home to live in capitalist induced poverty. gently caress you, you absolute jackass.

Hopefully you tip your cashiers since you realize the work they are providing you is worth more than they are receiving. Be the change you want to see.

Edit: OH brands. They are for marketing. But that's useful to the consumer sometimes. For instance, I know that I prefer Colgate to crest toothpaste because the flavor is better and costs a little less. Therefore, if both parent companies were to release a new product at the same time, I'd likely try Colgate first.

Brands are pretty easy to understand, tbqh.

central dogma has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Mar 26, 2020