Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah everyone seems to think Lucas had some 9 movie master plan but basically he just made it up as he went along.

Han was frozen in carbonite was because the studio wasn't sure Harrison Ford would come back for ep 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

One of the earliest Star Wars novels was Alan Dean Foster writing a "novelization" of the script they were going to use for the second Star Wars if the first wasn't a success; Han isn't in it so they could cut his salary, all the action takes place in a misty jungle so you can film it on a single soundstage, also the plot's about some weird Force bullshit and Vader is very definitely not Luke's father

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think my favorite "we never planned to make a series" bit is that Darth Vader is clearly just his name in ANH. His title is "Lord" per all the imperials. The only person to refer to him as Darth in the entire movie is Obi Wan, and they're on a first name basis with each other.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When was the first time, EU or otherwise, that Darth was used as a title

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Internet says phantom menace, so maybe not a first movie not-making-a-series thing, but still amusing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funny to think of a youngling walking around Jedi kindergarten with the name Darth Vader

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
A good* thing about the sequels is that if you didn't like RotJ, you don't have to watch it to know what's going on there because nothing in it matters, and many of the things that actually happen in it are retconned, like the Death Star being vaporized in orbit; nope it crashed in the sea, also not on the Ewok planet.

*bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Leia being the "another" was a retcon. That line was put in ESB because there were concerns that Mark Hamill wouldn't re-up after the third movie and when they were making ESB there was still the plan to just keep making movies forever so they wanted to leave the possibility of a new unseen character that could be introduced to carry the series after him. But then Lucas decided ROTJ would be an ending point because of how stressful helming this huge blockbuster franchise was and what a strain it was putting on his marriage and personal life so they decided to tie off that loose end by making Leia his sister.

In ESB she wasn't written as his sister which is why they have the smooch and Luke is part of her love triangle with Han.

At the end of ESB he reaches out with the force and Leah is the one who hears him, implying that she is also force sensitive.

Do you have an interview or something where Lucas says it was something he wrote into RotJ and didn't have planned ahead of time?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Even after reading this thread and seeing people's criticisms I still don't know. It's easily the most entertaining Star Wars film and the one I'd have most fun re-watching if given the choice (then ANH, then ESB).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CainFortea posted:

At the end of ESB he reaches out with the force and Leah is the one who hears him, implying that she is also force sensitive.

or that they have the deep emotional connection of true love

i don't have any strong feelings about whether ROTJ is good or bad but it could've been written a different way, certainly

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

or that they have the deep emotional connection of true love

i don't have any strong feelings about whether ROTJ is good or bad but it could've been written a different way, certainly

Well sure, it could go either way. I'm not trying to die on a hill about it, it's just that a quick google search shows a bunch of people who are not george lucas or anyone involved with the movies saying that is what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
remember when the ewoks had a bunch of stormtrooper heads on pikes?

loving savage as hell, and you KNOW they cooked and ate the bodies