Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

3% returned, and they are calling it that heavy for him? Is it just me, or does that seem way too early. I know they are using exit polls, but don't those tend to be fairly unreliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They called it for Biden at 0%.

Not everyone does the exit polls, lots of folks have better poo poo to do.

CNN literally called it for Biden with 10~ seconds left before the end of the primary.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

3% returned, and they are calling it that heavy for him? Is it just me, or does that seem way too early. I know they are using exit polls, but don't those tend to be fairly unreliable?

Biden's winning and will win SC by a gazillion and the exit polls just back that up. Exit polls are unreliable in close races, but they're consistent right now with a Biden win by 30% plus. When black voters are declaring Biden support by like 85-15%, and black voters are going to be 55%-ish of the SC vote, it's not close.

In fact, there's an outside chance that Bernie gets zero delegates in SC, as he might not hit 15% in districts/precincts.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Why is Biden so popular among black voters?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A Bad Poster posted:

uh

he was Obama's vice-president

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A Bad Poster posted:

He was the Vice President for a President who was very popular among black voters and they appeared to have a genuine friendship.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Some exit poll stuff (take with grain of salt, etc etc):

https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1233907269701709826

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1233905448933261313

Honestly Biden only getting 60% of black voters ain't amazing, Hillary got 86% against Bernie in 2016.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

The three general answers are that (this is in admittedly broad strokes):

1) Black voters have taken so much poo poo that they tend not to be ideological purists. They care about winning more than bragging about how they had the "correct" ideological take. They preferred the safe (white centrist) bet (HRC) over the unproven black candidate (Obama) until white people proved they were willing to vote Obama. The common wisdom 3 months ago was that Biden was the more safe vote. A generic white guy who votes Bernie and loses can say "gently caress this" and keep on internet posting, but a middle-income to low-income black person who votes ideologically and loses faces potentially serious consequences.
2) Biden was Obama's VP, and he can invoke Obama.
3) There are plenty of dependable older black voters who will vote D 95%+ of the time, but that doesn't mean they're comfortable with leftism or being labeled as such.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

joat mon posted:

He was the Vice President for a President who was very popular among black voters and they appeared to have a genuine friendship.

Doc Hawkins posted:

uh

he was Obama's vice-president

My advance apologies if my phrasing is weird in any of the below.

Black voters are not a monolith, and they make up their own drat minds separately, but think of black voters as weak Republicans. Black voters are generally skeptical of governmental involvement in anything (shocker!), trend religious, don't like abortion very much, aren't completely sold on LGBT issues, and skew towards the "personal responsibility" side of things.

The problem is that Republicans are racist as all gently caress. That's why the black vote has been "captured" by Democrats for all this time - way more black voters would vote Republican on the issues if it wasn't for that pesky racism thing.

So, you have old white dude Bernie, singing the songs of revolution and government intervention while yelling at people a lot. Then, you have Obama's Vice President, taking a much more moderate tone, and is a genuinely nice guy that stuck with Obama through thick and thin.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 1, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1233905448933261313

Honestly Biden only getting 60% of black voters ain't amazing, Hillary got 86% against Bernie in 2016.

i don't think weigel is making this comparison in bad faith, but it's wrong in the same way all the bad faith "bernie is doing worse than he was in 2016!!" takes are: there's a lot more people running than there were this time in 2016

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Saw something in D&D that I think a lot of people in here will highly appreciate.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Doc Hawkins posted:

i don't think weigel is making this comparison in bad faith, but it's wrong in the same way all the bad faith "bernie is doing worse than he was in 2016!!" takes are: there's a lot more people running than there were this time in 2016

Oh yeah definitely, plus Clyburn's endorsement was apparently a significant factor for a lot of voters per exit polls. 538 interviewed Clyburn a couple days ago prior to his endorsement and he was pretty candid about what he saw as overly ambitious promises from the Left and 'not wanting another McGovern'. Black voters are probably the hardest sell in the Democratic Party given the stakes involved as facialimpediment stated.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

15% reporting. Lowest shown percentage is Gabbard at 0.9%, Bloomberg must be doing worse than Gabbard, because he's not even on the listed results on CBSN.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol.

15% reporting. Lowest shown percentage is Gabbard at 0.9%, Bloomberg must be doing worse than Gabbard, because he's not even on the listed results on CBSN.

Bloomberg didn't register for the SC Primary.

But meanwhile, I had a bit of a thought: Bernie should probably put in a call to Stacey Abrams after Super Tuesday.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

Bloomberg didn't register for the SC Primary.

But meanwhile, I had a bit of a thought: Bernie should probably put in a call to Stacey Abrams after Super Tuesday.

Bloomberg already bought her

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Bloomberg already bought her
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

bird food bathtub posted:

Saw something in D&D that I think a lot of people in here will highly appreciate.

Lmao

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Casimir Radon posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's pretty close and I didn't know about it!

https://apnews.com/89f5a5c46a8e73361600268d90ddf89b

https://www.esquire.com/news-politi...ing-with-a-dog/

Bloomberg kicked $5m into her PAC. She's not endorsing anyone, but she has also appeared with Bloomberg and is making the same kind of excuses that Warren is making on the Super PAC support stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

It's pretty close and I didn't know about it!

https://apnews.com/89f5a5c46a8e73361600268d90ddf89b

https://www.esquire.com/news-politi...ing-with-a-dog/

Bloomberg kicked $5m into her PAC. She's not endorsing anyone, but she has also appeared with Bloomberg and is making the same kind of excuses that Warren is making on the Super PAC support stuff.

He's definitely not wrong, just probably not the best way to phrase it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fister Roboto posted:

He's definitely not wrong, just probably not the best way to phrase it.

Here were my thought processesesseses in realtime, pre-this post:

1) Well, that sure seemed pretty close to buying a politician.

2) Wait, why would that be poor phrasing?

3) *walks off* Is it something about buying... oooooooooh HEY WAIT A MINUTE

4) HAHAHAH NOW I GET IT OH poo poo

Edit: Steyer's out. One billionaire left!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 1, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

facialimpediment posted:

I'm somehow both shocked but not surprised.

He really needed 15% tonight but I wasn't expecting anybody to drop out before super Tuesday.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 1, 2020

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Is he going to endorse Bernie?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://abc7ny.com/health/why-did-cdc-send-nyc-man-home-without-testing-for-coronavirus/5974999/

Beep boop so simple, no-one in the US has COVID-19 if you aren't testing for it!

quote:

By Josh Einiger
Saturday, February 29, 2020 12:37AM
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man has locked himself in his Brooklyn apartment, trying to get by with a hacking cough and a fever - and a real concern he is infected with the novel coronavirus.

"The thing that's scary to me, is there's not many cases in New York, but obvious there's people like me who are coming back from places that have a lot of infections," he said.
The man, who will go by 'John' by anonymity, recently spent five days in Tokyo on business. When he returned home this week, he just knew he had a problem.

At NYU Brooklyn, they put him in isolation, and ran a battery of tests for other things - all negative. Then, per protocol, they called the CDC, because NYU suspect COVID-19, but the CDC said no.

The CDC says they thought he wasn't sick enough - even though public health experts say most coronavirus cases are more minor, and it flies in the face of what the CDC said on a press call on Friday.

Meanwhile, at a rally in South Carolina on Friday, jam-packed, while other countries are banning large gatherings, President Trump called coronavirus a hoax.
John says he may not even have coronavirus, but wouldn't the government want to know?

"I came in, I'm sick - I have symptoms like coronavirus, but I'm not tested, which means I don't have coronavirus. If you're not testing anybody, then no one's infected, right?" he said.

After he was sent home the first time on Thursday, the CDC added Japan as a country of concern where people should be able to get tested for coronavirus.

John called the hospital again, and said because he is not actually hospitalized, they still can't give him the test. NYU Langone said they were just following guidelines from the CDC.

Eyewitness News reached out to the CDC, but they have not yet responded.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Weird how everything was going as it should right up until they called the CDC

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

https://abc7ny.com/health/why-did-cdc-send-nyc-man-home-without-testing-for-coronavirus/5974999/

Beep boop so simple, no-one in the US has COVID-19 if you aren't testing for it!

all I could think today is how impossible it's going to be to contain coronavirus in the US

you'll never know how many people are infected because most people won't go to a doctor until it's ER time

Making matters worse, it's going to be spread like crazy by asymptomatic or light symptom victims, because nobody can take time off of work to be sick at home

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

US Berder Patrol posted:

all I could think today is how impossible it's going to be to contain coronavirus in the US

you'll never know how many people are infected because most people won't go to a doctor until it's ER time

Making matters worse, it's going to be spread like crazy by asymptomatic or light symptom victims, because nobody can take time off of work to be sick at home

And if a vaccine gets made, it will be """affordable""".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fister Roboto posted:

And if a vaccine gets made, it will be """affordable""".

I mean, free is pretty drat affordable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

SC is an odd duck in that most of the democratic base is as conservative as republicans on everything except white supremacy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I spent about three hours driving all over the rear end end of my county gathering results posted at precincts and at least in my area the results for Bernie are significantly WORSE than the apocalyptic polls coming out all week

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fuckin lol forever at Warren losing to Yang in my hometown though

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
butt came in lower than steyer, who dropped out. thats loving great.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of butt

http://www.mayopete.io/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Could you link to her holocaust denial?

It's all German video and podcast content so far that surfaced after someone found a video of her taking part in a "panel" after the Synagogue shooting last year. Other panel members were Oliver Flesch, an MRA and holocaust-denier that runs an alt-right YouTube channel from Mallorca, Michael Stürzenberger, a right wing blogger and former member of PEGIDA (the precursor for today's AfD) that has multiple convictions for hate-speech and incitement/sedition and considers himself "an educator on Islam", and a radio host from RADIO DEUTSCHLAND EINS (I'll let you figure out which nation they think is best).

People started digging up links to podcasts and clips in the comments/social media where she took part in similar panels or was a guest, but since the sources for the material have thus far exclusively been the channels of right-wingers themselves, they've managed to sanitize their act pretty quickly by removing all evidence of her saying the quiet part out loud to not endanger the very valuable message of their new totally-not-a-neonazi sweetheart "climate-realist".

Since the internet never forgets anything, my hopes are that more clips of her saying vile poo poo will surface, but to be perfectly honest, her being exposed will ultimately do nothing to the movement in the long run. The ability to just say "fake news" (or, LÜGENPRESSE, in our case) and hand-wave away poo poo you said not two minutes ago on camera is absolutely frightening.

The clip that kicked it off couldn't be removed by right wingers, because it was featured in a short video report about antisemitic sentiments following the Halle shooting on ZDF:

https://www.zdf.de/politik/frontal-21/nach-dem-anschlag-in-halle-100.html

You don't really need to speak German to know what's up when a German person invokes "DER JUDE".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You don't really need to speak German to know what's up when a German person invokes "DER JUDE".

They really like The Beatles?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Chichevache posted:

I believe at one point they did say "Hey Jude, don't be afraid" but they really shouldn't have been.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chichevache posted:

Dude.... no

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Bad Poster posted:

I believe at one point they did say "Hey Jude, don't be afraid" but they really shouldn't have been.

No no no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheGoodLiars/status/1233036301747867649