Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was paying attention and I didn't realize Michael Bluth was dead until about 10 minutes into the next episode.

The ending of that episode where he gets killed was a little ambiguous and then you also don't expect, up until then, was one of the stars of the show to die half way through the season. And yeah, I need poo poo spelled out for me. Also I learned from Game of Thrones that if they don't say specifically, 'that guy dead' then they're probably not dead.

Not realising till episode three is reasonable, because it was pretty ambiguous at the end of episode two. There was someone earlier in the thread though who didn't realise even several episodes later when it was much clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah I didn't know either at first because it just fades to black after the shooting. Eventually it gets implied and later on they discuss his grave and going to it and asking his wife for permission for a while. There's also the last words reference. It's admittedly kinda humorous not noticing but I totally don't blame him for tuning out of the show because I kinda did a lot too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They do the same thing with the murdered boy's mother. You see her collapse and then nothing else until you find out about the BOGO free deal on embalmings.

Did King do that in the book or did the show's writer decide this was going to be his or her stylistic calling card?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

You're probably better off just quitting while you're ahead.

Use your imagination to fill in the rest. It will automatically surpass the gloomy car-talk show it spins off into becoming.

I wish I'd read this post instead of just bookmarking the thread to come back to when I'd finished the rest of the series

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Krispy Wafer posted:

They do the same thing with the murdered boy's mother. You see her collapse and then nothing else until you find out about the BOGO free deal on embalmings.
There was a follow up scene in the hospital that did not have any spoken dialogue but was clearly the father and son waiting outside a hospital room and the doctor giving them bad news about the mom.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 19, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tiptoes posted:

There was a follow up scene in the hospital that did not have any spoken dialogue but was clearly the father and son waiting outside a hospital room and the doctor giving them bad news about the mom.
I thought they were having her committed lol.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It was a definite stylistic direction from the writer that I liked it and then liked less each time they did it.

At least there was no doubt at all when Alec bought it with a big bullet hole in his head.

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!
this show was a dud but goons inability to pay attention to basic plot points is always entertaining

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I dunno I didn’t actually see bootleg Jason Bateman burn up in the car so Is he really dead???

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That was so stupid. Guys I'm gonna run for it. Don't cover me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should bring Jason Bateman back for season 2. Have him just be the full time face of the monster. He played creepy so drat well

night slime
May 14, 2014
Watched the penultimate episode and I know it's :tinfoil: but got a little weirded out by them talking about the plague. Not to mention they start talking about the way they view everything changing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I binged this show and I can't tell if it's HBO or King but both have a very bad habit (HBO's being just lately) of making GBS threads the bed completely at the 75% point.

At least The Leftovers ended really well.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just caught up on this and I reckon it started off very well, began to meander partway through and finished kind of weakly, but overall was enjoyable enough.

Pretty much a pitch-perfect King adaptation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lemon posted:

Just caught up on this and I reckon it started off very well, began to meander partway through and finished kind of weakly, but overall was enjoyable enough.

Pretty much a pitch-perfect King adaptation.

Yes

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Thought the show was very good at times, especially until Bateman died, but was at least two episodes too long. If this had been compressed to a 6 episodes (like Chernobyl, which doesn't have a single wasted scene) I think it could have been a lot stronger.

But I would and have recommended it and will watch Season 2 even though the idea of that is weird and I predict it will be a train-wreck.

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, I came to like some of the characters so much that I actually found myself putting off the last two episodes. The acting and direction truly elevate the material.

Good job by that British actor as the strip club shift manager.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IbrahimSom posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, I came to like some of the characters so much that I actually found myself putting off the last two episodes. The acting and direction truly elevate the material.

Good job by that British actor as the strip club shift manager.

Paddy Cosidine is really popular at HBO right now. This was his first show, of what's now three. In one year. wtf.

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
Good for him. I remember him from Hot Fuzz.

By the way, the somewhat amorphous nature of the baddie in this show, its cycle and inconsistencies etc, is just Stephen King being himself. I don't believe King plots out or plans his novels most of the time, he just takes a concept ( eg a man getting framed by his body double) and runs with it, and it turns out it's The Journey That Mattered All Along most of the time (as another poster said upthread.). The only issue with that is he often builds up the Evil Entity so much that when/if the good guys win it almost always feels anti-climatic (IT and The Stand are other examples, though IT was a good reading experience. The ending of "The Stand" angered me.)

AeroZ
Nov 9, 2016

Really liked this one.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I did not finish the season, but we're getting a second one?

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-outsider-season-2-update/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica

Fartington Butts posted:

I did not finish the season, but we're getting a second one?

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-outsider-season-2-update/

Nice.

Show runner is Richard Price, a fairly successful and well known novelist. He wrote some of the best episodes of "The Wire." He and Stephen King are probably mutual admirers.