Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress are these bios

Survivor: Loud Chewers Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah, that’s a Survivor cast alright. :toot:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I can try to do a new OP over the next 2-3 days so be patient with me pls! If someone else has already done it or has a burning desire to let me know.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

nexous posted:

Haven’t seen that many minorities since Survivor: Race Wars

This is actually on purpose, since Survivor is part of CBS' casting pledge to feature 50%+ people of color on reality shows.

I like that there are multiple China shout-outs in here as well as references to One World and Tocantins.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Cast looks fun, though I'm kind of worried this is going to be a different show now. I have no idea what the hell Jeff is talking about in his pregame press.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Popero posted:

Cast looks fun, though I'm kind of worried this is going to be a different show now. I have no idea what the hell Jeff is talking about in his pregame press.

26 days. No food rewards, and I think they're not even given any food? The season is supposed to be pretty back to basics in terms of survival.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Assuming what Jeff said is true, I'm pretty amped.

The big standout to me was it sounds like they've realized the theme/gimmick poo poo was killing the game. I think a lot of problems in modern Survivor are related to them trying to hamfist poo poo into a stupid theme or season title when it's totally unnecessary.

I also love that it sounds like (and I'm hoping I don't misread this) that idols and advantages aren't just going to be tossed in bushes and people are just going to stumble over them but that there's going to be some real decision-making behind getting one and/or using it.

Those two things alone are enough to get my interest way up, and I also am pretty into the cast at least based on cursory glances.

We'll see, but I'm pretty optimistic!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't know, I feel incredibly less hyped for the season... Even less so after watching this video from Jeff with his grown out & slicked back hair style...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtxSUWKygA

26 days and no food rewards sounds like a good tradeoff. But so much seems to happen at the food rewards as far as being able to shake up alliances or let people know where they stand...

Also they are posing it as a twist to spoiler the twists to the viewers before the players find out about it? :lol:

Jeff Probst hyped up Redemption Island too... :smug:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

And if anyone wants to pregame it up, there's a thread for Australian Survivor... which has been pretty good, even though a handful of players have dominated the screen time... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973906 :)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

And if anyone wants to pregame it up, there's a thread for Australian Survivor... which has been pretty good, even though a handful of players have dominated the screen time... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973906 :)

I tried watching the first season, and there's just so many episodes. Episode 82 and they're just getting to the final 16 survivors, I skipped forward to the end.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Nihonniboku posted:

26 days. No food rewards, and I think they're not even given any food? The season is supposed to be pretty back to basics in terms of survival.

Honestly that focus really isn't that interesting to me. I'll certainly give it a shot, and hopefully it's great, but I didn't generally have a problem with the core gameplay of most of the seasons in the 30s. Some sucked and some were good, but I don't need a huge overhaul of the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Popero posted:

Honestly that focus really isn't that interesting to me. I'll certainly give it a shot, and hopefully it's great, but I didn't generally have a problem with the core gameplay of most of the seasons in the 30s. Some sucked and some were good, but I don't need a huge overhaul of the show.

I could do with fewer gimmicks and twists intended to help production's favorites.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Aerox posted:

The big standout to me was it sounds like they've realized the theme/gimmick poo poo was killing the game. I think a lot of problems in modern Survivor are related to them trying to hamfist poo poo into a stupid theme or season title when it's totally unnecessary.
I think them hammering the season's theme is pretty annoying too, but Millennials vs Gen X and David vs Goliath nevertheless turned out to be top tier seasons. Unless you mean like their Extinction Island and Ghost Island poo poo, in which case yeah but that's more them just being obsessed with adding items and twists into the game.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

I think them hammering the season's theme is pretty annoying too, but Millennials vs Gen X and David vs Goliath nevertheless turned out to be top tier seasons. Unless you mean like their Extinction Island and Ghost Island poo poo, in which case yeah but that's more them just being obsessed with adding items and twists into the game

Themes with casting is fine. I didn't even mind Edge of Extinction so much, just that I don't want to see it again for at least 10 seasons. But it's poo poo like Island of the Idols and Ghost Island that ruin the show.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Now that I think about it, I think the Extinction thing with seeing how far contestants can push themselves (why?) is also definitely the reason they're doing this new survival-heavy season, because in his heart Jeff wants to keep doing extinction but everyone yelled at him too much, so this is what he came up with in its place.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

I tried watching the first season, and there's just so many episodes. Episode 82 and they're just getting to the final 16 survivors, I skipped forward to the end.

This is just really weird and like you didn't really. The 1st 2 seasons of the current run were 26 episodes, and the rest after have all been 24 episodes. And they do also run longer than US Survivor... they actually use the extra airtime pretty well. Get more of a glimpse into the camp life, actually have some more focus on the castaways so there's not a Kelly that shows up at merge and you're asking "who the gently caress is that?"

Although the 1st season was a little rough on the edges as the players and the host were still figuring poo poo out... the last few seasons have easily been on par or even better than US Survivor in just about everyway... They even got Russel Hantz on and booted him off right away.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The thing with Australian Survivor though is that the pace of new episodes is crazy. It's 3 episodes a week and a lot of them are over an hour long.

I have some bones to pick with their franchise to be sure, but they've turned out some epic seasons, including the current one (at least so far, I'm a couple episodes back)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Although the 1st season was a little rough on the edges as the players and the host were still figuring poo poo out... the last few seasons have easily been on par or even better than US Survivor in just about everyway... They even got Russel Hantz on and booted him off right away.

Yeah, I've heard one of the seasons is among the best seasons of any version of the show ever. I was just exhausted by that first season, even with my love of Nick.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the first AUS Survivor that I've watched and it's been excellent. The host doesn't dig as deep as Jeff does, but he has no problems calling out someone after they've made a face when people talk at Tribal, the longer episodes are great at showing life at camp (which I miss from the US productions), and their challenges have generally been way better (as in almost every challenge has multi-step gauntlets and obstacle courses - their production crew still tries!).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

See, I'm not sure they really show much more camp life with the extra time anymore. They used to, but now they just give more and more airtime to the stars of the season, which is the same thing they did last season. There can be a player you actually really like but they still manage to give you fatigue on them. The editing can get really heavy handed, and sometimes the twistiness gets silly. This is still a super good season though.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I've heard one of the seasons is among the best seasons of any version of the show ever. I was just exhausted by that first season, even with my love of Nick.

The All stars season is, imo, one of the best seasons of any version and imo the best winner

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SweetJahasus posted:

The All stars season is, imo, one of the best seasons of any version and imo the best winner

Yea the All Stars season is really good... Also the 2 Champions Vs. Contenders seasons are pretty good too... And even Season 2 is good. Really good and fun Hijinks around jars of cookies the producers hid in the game... Also Luke is a pretty fun survivor to watch in both of his seasons... (And a spoiler for his entire run...) They gave him the Rupert treatment and created the "fan favorite" award to give him money in his 2nd season....

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

26 days and no food rewards sounds like a good tradeoff. But so much seems to happen at the food rewards as far as being able to shake up alliances or let people know where they stand...
My only complaint about food is the recent meta game of pre-merge players eating more than their rations and other people being swap screwed into starvation.

What Australian Survivor did for this season's merge feast could be adapted for something like the old auction. There's an individual challenge that ends in basically flipping bean bags onto plates. When you land two bags you get to pick from the rewards of food and MYSTERY ITEMS. Also the cake/candy shop reward is wonderful TV every time.

As for real changes I've love more idols that require a clue or even that Kaoh Rong(?) idol where you needed a pole to pop the idol out of the bird box thing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

My only complaint about food is the recent meta game of pre-merge players eating more than their rations and other people being swap screwed into starvation.

What Australian Survivor did for this season's merge feast could be adapted for something like the old auction. There's an individual challenge that ends in basically flipping bean bags onto plates. When you land two bags you get to pick from the rewards of food and MYSTERY ITEMS. Also the cake/candy shop reward is wonderful TV every time.

As for real changes I've love more idols that require a clue or even that Kaoh Rong(?) idol where you needed a pole to pop the idol out of the bird box thing.

Even the bird box idols in Kaoh Rong were found within like the first couple of episodes. I would like more collaborative idols though where you need two or three pieces held by different players in order for it to work. I also want them to stop immediately returning idols to the game the second they're used. End game idol rushes like what we saw in Heroes v Hustlers v Healers really sucked where Ben had absolutely zero social game, and was just able to get by every week by playing idol after idol. At this point, I'm sure the producers just make a point of placing idols where their favorites regularly travel through and search.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

See, I'm not sure they really show much more camp life with the extra time anymore...

I was comparing AUS to US, and not to previous AUS seasons because I've never seen them. US is 42mins and the AUS one is an hour (or more I've noticed). That extra time is camp life. The US tends to cut from challenge to challenge with VERY little at camp now unless something dramatic is happening. It's great to see more time dedicated to strategy and it's been a fun change of pace for me.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Gimmie some good ideas for thread titles.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Survivor S41: We ran out of clever thread names.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Survivor 41: 18 People. 26 Days. No Survivors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Survivor 41: The Challenge Feeder League's New Season

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

Gimmie some good ideas for thread titles.

Survivor 41: I'll slap the next person who jokes, "Hur, this show is still on?"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Survivor 41: COVID really makes the title redundant.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Survivor 41: just watch Australian survivor instead

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's got to be some kind of wordplay on "Immunity Idol" and Covid vaccines we could come up with.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
If you get the immunity idol you get to sit six feet away from everyone at tribal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Survivor41:Wanna Know What You're Playing For?

(it's horse paste)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm only one and a half episodes in to this Challenge season and it feels like Michelle has already had more interview time about strategy than her entire Survivor experience.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Survivor XLI: Colts vs Bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
New Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978668

Lol just realized I forgot to add a title.