Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Halal Snack Pack

The Halal Snack Pack (HSP) is a cornerstone of Australian fast food, appearing at basically any local kebab shop. Invented in the 80s by middle eastern kebab shop owners, the HSP is the holy combination of hot thick cut chips, cheese, kebab meat (usually lamb, but chicken or beef is okay too), and a trio of sauces.

Wikipedia posted:

The halal snack pack originated in Australia as a culinary fusion of Middle-Eastern and European cuisines. According to some, snack packs date back at least to the 1980s. They have since become a quintessential Australian dish. However, variations or similar dishes exist in other countries; examples include "doner meat and chips" in the United Kingdom, "kapsalon" ("barbershop") in the Netherlands and Belgium, "kebabtallrik" ("kebab plate") in Sweden "gyro fries" in the United States, and "kebab ranskalaisilla" ('kebab with French fries') in Finland. In Adelaide, South Australia, the dish is known as an "AB".

In late 2015, following the creation of the Facebook group, Halal Snack Pack Appreciation Society, a subculture formed around the dish, it has been known to bring cultures together. This led to wide coverage of the dish in the media, as well as a notable reference by Senator Sam Dastyari in Australian Parliament during a debate about halal certification which is credited for much of the increase in attention paid to this dish.

Health concerns have been raised, even flippantly, about the refined carbohydrate content of halal snack packs. Excess refined carbohydrates can cause obesity and heart disease, as well as cerebrovascular, metabolic and renal conditions and complications.

Where do I find one of these?
If you're in :australia: you can just turn up at any place that does kebabs, or middle eastern food. Overseas you can probably ask your local kebab shop to whip one up and you might end up starting a local trend

Do I have to have cheese on my HSP?
Some people don't mind having a HSP without cheese on it, but really, it's just not the same (sorry lactose intolerant friends.) Order it with cheese!

What meat should I choose?
I used to be a big chicken HSP fan, but nowadays I can't walk past lamb. If you've never had lamb, get lamb on your HSP. It's incredible. Otherwise just go with whatever feels good.

What sauces should I choose?
The traditional HSP has the holy trinity (garlic aioli, bbq sauce, sweet chili sauce.) Most shop owners will judge you behind your back if you don't get the holy trinity sauces but if you're not into chili or garlic for whatever reason, you can swap them out or avoid them. Just don't get a HSP with dingo sauce.

What is dingo sauce?
Tomato sauce (ketchup). If you put tomato sauce (or other things like salad) on your HSP, you're a haram dingo (probably some fuckwit white Australian). Don't be a dingo.

Is ordering tomato sauce on a HSP really that bad?

Please discuss HSPs in this thread :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I already made a half assed kebab shop thread but I’m down with a more specific hsp discussion thread bc I don’t want foreigners getting confused and angry in my thread. It’s a real gross dumb thing and I hate em bc you wind up covered in garlic sauce trying to eat it with those dinky kebab shop forks but they’re a thing and people love em and I have eaten a greater than zero amount of them on the piss so I don’t want anyone to think I’m being judgemental it’s just not for me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

If you are getting anything but lamb on a hsp you are wasting your time and if you post about getting anything but lamb itt you’re wasting all our time as well. Don’t do it please.

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

What is wrong with people? There is only lamb, anything else is not a HSP. Chicken HSP must be a Sydney thing.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i read somewhere the other day that they don't eat lamb in the states

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I already made a half assed kebab shop thread but I’m down with a more specific hsp discussion thread bc I don’t want foreigners getting confused and angry in my thread. It’s a real gross dumb thing and I hate em bc you wind up covered in garlic sauce trying to eat it with those dinky kebab shop forks but they’re a thing and people love em and I have eaten a greater than zero amount of them on the piss so I don’t want anyone to think I’m being judgemental it’s just not for me

the poo poo thing about kebabs when compared to the humble hsp is that its hit/miss whether they accidentally wrap the paper/foil into the kebab

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got one when I was in Melbourne and it took like 3 attempts to order it because I was drunk af and he couldn't understand my accent

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There used to be a kebab shop near where I was working at the time that used chopped up charcoaled lamb shish instead of the standard doner for their kebabs and hsps.

That were the good poo poo.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
the 'kapsalon' has cheese on it because the dutch are mentally deranged

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
but yes, love me a nice kebabtallerken with red and white

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

cheese is good

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
gouda cheese on kebab meat is criminal

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

oh yeah gently caress that

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
This is popping up in the US too. Good as gently caress. Thanks for inventing it Aussies!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
if you get anything other than the Holy Trinity on a HSP, by allah, you shall be beheaded

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Jose posted:

I got one when I was in Melbourne and it took like 3 attempts to order it because I was drunk af and he couldn't understand my accent

if you order a HSP and you're not drunk as gently caress you made a mistake

e: lmaoing at imagining drunk jose slurring blimey gov', i want one of them hsps!

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

e: lmaoing at imagining drunk jose slurring blimey gov', i want one of them hsps!

oh no his accent is much trickier than that

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
sweet chilli sauce? you dumb oval office its hot chilli

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

If I’m getting hot chilli I’m replacing garlic sauce with yoghurt to give my poor tummy a break

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Clawtopsy posted:

if you order a HSP and you're not drunk as gently caress you made a mistake

i'm from newcastle my accent is closer to scottish

anyway at uni i lived opposite this place https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/mekka-hut-three-men-arrested-9353011 and you used to be able to get a large chicken tikka kebab for £3.50 which reading that article was clearly so cheap because it was made using illegal immigrant labour. was a huge amount of freshly cooked chicken breast in a naan bread with salad and sauce and it owned a lot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

bell jar posted:

if you're eating anywhere that has anything resembling a halal snack pack in the US (which will usually be called a "gyro plate") they'll have lamb

sometimes it'll be a mix of beef and lamb, but it'll typically be lamb

e: and yes I am aware that a HSP is a different thing, a gyro plate is somewhat less comically unhealthy, but it's the closest approximation I can figure here

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

bell jar posted:

in the detroit area we have a huge middle eastern population and i cant throw a rock without hitting a diner that offers some sort of lamb.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bell jar posted:

In Adelaide, South Australia, the dish is known as an "AB".

Supposedly that's an abbreviation of "afterbirth", due the resemblance :eng101: :barf:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ah gently caress i forgot to get a hsp tonight. i will get one tomorrow

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's HSP for dinner for me tonight. Tasty as gently caress

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Opened thread and have decided to buy a hsp

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
What's it called when they put it on half rice half fries? That's how it usually is here.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I could sure go for a HSP right about now.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I had one at Aftershock Festival last year. Was fuckin baller. But it was a festival so it was $40 for 2 people. That's US dollars.

There's no better food when drunk and stoned. You aussies have your poo poo together.

Except when it comes to the fire service.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Resting Lich Face posted:

I had one at Aftershock Festival last year. Was fuckin baller. But it was a festival so it was $40 for 2 people. That's US dollars.

There's no better food when drunk and stoned. You aussies have your poo poo together.

Except when it comes to the fire service.

MAY I DIRECT YOU TO MY THREAD ABOUT FIRES. OUR SERVERIES VERY MUCH HAVE THEIR poo poo TOGETHER, THE ENVIRONMENT AND GOVERNMENT DO NOT.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Gridlocked posted:

MAY I DIRECT YOU TO MY THREAD ABOUT FIRES. OUR SERVERIES VERY MUCH HAVE THEIR poo poo TOGETHER, THE ENVIRONMENT AND GOVERNMENT DO NOT.

Nah I meant the lack of pay and compensation for missed work. I'm from a firefighter family from California. Nothing but respect for the people on the line; they're literally my family. I'd have been a firefighter too if I didn't break my neck as a kid. Just can't carry the weight I need to be able to.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 6, 2020

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Hi op, my favourite Halal Snack Pack toppings are salad and ketchup sauce

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

There used to be a kebab shop near where I was working at the time that used chopped up charcoaled lamb shish instead of the standard doner for their kebabs and hsps.

That were the good poo poo.

My kebab shop does this as well so I get the beef and chicken instead on the Halal Snack Pack but put the lamb in the kebab it's good
They also use thin cut chips

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i got a 'small' (it wasn't small) HSP for $10, i picked lamb and chicken with bbq sauce and cheese but apparently i should skip the chicken next time and just get lamb

let more foreigners in, they have the best food and i want it

you can't even close that wtf, that's like a large stacked on top of a small

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 6, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

where the red fern gropes posted:

let more foreigners in, they have the best food and i want it

:thumbsup:

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
there's four kebab shops over the road from my apartment, i just crack the door open and after a while my whole place fills with HSP smell :q:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I get falafel on em. its good as hell.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i just discovered I can get one of these mythical delights in the middle of nowhere so guess I have a reason to leave the house tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof.Snugglesworth
Feb 9, 2009

Ooo...you make me live now honey.
I have never had a HSP that didn't make me feel like I was going to die afterwards. Then again, I have also never had a HSP whilst I was drunk so maybe I have been doing it wrong? :shrug: