Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I feel like including Trader Joe's frozen stuff is cheating somehow.

Hatch green chille mac and cheese 4 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

sports posted:

I don't know if the brand is nationwide but I really enjoy machine-rolled, sans-husk tamales:

hmm. do they get dried out without the husks?

I like the trader Joes frozen tamales, esp. the green chili and cheese one. those ones do come with the husk and you can either steam them or wrap a damp paper towel around them and nuke em

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

the majority of the reason i shop there is just to get frozen poo poo.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Wormskull posted:

Thank me later.
The ones Costco carries own bones. Take up half my freezer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

tetsuo posted:

The ones Costco carries own bones.

also contain them.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Stevie Lee posted:

I like the trader Joes frozen tamales, esp. the green chili and cheese one. those ones do come with the husk and you can either steam them or wrap a damp paper towel around them and nuke em

They don't dry out, they're a different concept entirely. The "masa" is more akin to grits/Northern cornbread/southern corn pudding and there is WAY more filling.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Stevie Lee posted:

these own. they're the closest thing i've found to a mass-market tamal with rajas in the US.

sports posted:

They don't dry out, they're a different concept entirely. The "masa" is more akin to grits/Northern cornbread/southern corn pudding and there is WAY more filling.

these aren't really tamales at all, but they do look interesting. out of curiosity, is the beef ground or shredded?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

liquid courage posted:

these aren't really tamales at all, but they do look interesting. out of curiosity, is the beef ground or shredded?

They're "Chicago-style" tamales, the beef is finely ground and has a shredded texture.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Trader Joe's frozen Indian food is also very good.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

liquid courage posted:

these own. they're the closest thing i've found to a mass-market tamal with rajas in the US.

Chicago tamales are from the Mississippi Delta, and have a really interesting history: https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/delta-review-wicker-park-adam-wendt-southern-tamale/Content?oid=34141522

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 7, 2020

Gajarga
Nov 5, 2006

Pierogis in an air fryer come out amazing, coat with butter before putting them in.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Chicago tamales are from the Mississippi Delta, and have a really interesting history: https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/delta-review-wicker-park-adam-wendt-southern-tamale/Content?oid=34141522

Awesome article!

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

From the frozen aisle, I eat Amy's Kitchen, the five dollar tv dinners for upper class yet deeply unhappy individuals like myself. It's like fine dining in poverty portions which honestly makes it even classier. You have to read the ad copy on each box, otherwise they aren't as good.

And they are good, but five loving dollars? Three dollars and I would buy them all the time. I mostly buy Stouffer's, but their emphasis on family and black plastic trays just reminds me that I am truly and completely alone in this spiraling synthetic hellscape.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
if it's that's the company i'm thinking of, they make one of the few edible vegan pizza-like products i've encountered (i'm not vegan, my sister gave me a bite). haven't tried anything else because of the prices.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007
TGI Fridays boneless wings satisfies my inner 9 year olds desire to have saucy chicken nuggets.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

iMonarch posted:

TGI Fridays boneless wings satisfies my inner 9 year olds desire to have saucy chicken nuggets.

The BBQ sauce ones? Those are legitimately good, somehow. I've tried a lot of the various nuggie products over the years and those stand out alone.

Never had luck with any kind of frozen bone-in chicken though, i.e. wings.

iMonarch
Mar 19, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

The BBQ sauce ones? Those are legitimately good, somehow. I've tried a lot of the various nuggie products over the years and those stand out alone.

Never had luck with any kind of frozen bone-in chicken though, i.e. wings.

Yeah, BBQ or whatever spicy ones they have available. I haven't had luck with traditional wings either, they're only good fried or (god forbid) baked and that's too much effort most times.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Clawtopsy posted:

absolutely mental for these tasty bastards

I saw these for the first time the other day (I don't usually go down the frozen aisle) so I'll have to check em out I think

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I saw these for the first time the other day (I don't usually go down the frozen aisle) so I'll have to check em out I think

Don’t microwave them. Toss them in a toaster oven.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I don’t even own a microwave :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
pillsbury pizza bites are DELICIOUS