Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

On The Internet posted:

What's the rule for tipping delivery? Is it the same 20% as if they're a waiter? Cuz that's pretty whack. I'll throw in some extra for large orders or far drives but all things being equal I feel it should be more of a flat rate situation.

When I delivered pizzas, admittedly over 20 years ago, when gas was cheap and you could have your pick of running beaters for $800 in the Pennysaver, tips generally never scaled with order size and usually hovered around $3-5. Wings and a soda usually netted the same as hauling 5 pizzas across a soccer field complex. It made sense because the amount of work was about the same regardless of order size. Orderer's BAC was often directly proportional to an increase in the tip, however, especially around Christmas and New Year's. Generally the nicer the house, the worse the tip. One of my best tips was delivering to a concrete chicken shack with no doors or glass in the windows, accessible by driving across a field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you’re getting into a car to bring my Edwardian rear end Bonchon, the floor for the tip starts at $15, no excuses.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
waiters ain't burning gas all shift long or putting wear and tear on their cars
but also delivery drivers ain't breaking their knees running ragged for a bunch of needy assholes all night
but also waiters aren't gonna get fuckin' shot by delivering to the wrong house
but also delivery drivers ain't gotta smile and yessir and look someone in the eye right before they deliberately write a big ZERO in the tip line like motherfucker

the only true correct answer is to tip all

of their bosses into a giant meatgrinder and redistribute their wealth to the service workers

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
nah, i usually do 5 bucks

if i were out in the middle of nowhere id maybe consider more, but im downtown and there are a million drivers

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
my standard for delivery tipping is $2 for every mile between me and the restaurant, with a minimum of $5

ymmv in bigger cities where things are closer together, but i'm in a small city backslash urban sprawl hellscape so it works for me

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
a minimum $10, go up based on distance/inconvenient or heavy stuff and likelihood they'll have to wait for the food to be done

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like Door Dash somehow did this on purpose, but they conditioned me away from doing high tips by routinely routing every attempt to do a high tip to the people who were going to drive it around the longest before delivering, and maybe call me and yell at me to go out to the street. Like every bad experience I had was tipping high. If I just stick to 20-25% the order goes well.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I tip 30% pretty much no matter what cos they’re basically doing me, a lazy shithead, a favor and do not get compensated fairly in the first place

it also probably saves me money in the long run cos I do not order in very often as a result lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i don't do app delivery. gently caress that "gig economy" bullshit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Indian and Chinese food are the only kind of delivery you should be loving with tbh

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also pizza

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the local thai place is p. dece for delivery too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
we're fully down to only a single place i'll get delivery from (chinese) because the seamless app just goes to them directly instead of to a third party driver and no fees get added, and the only reason i don't use their website instead is because it thinks our apartment is outside of their delivery range for some reason. i won't even get pizza delivered anymore because of the bullshit fees that the pizza places all add on now (and also because we have both chain pizza and a local place that we go back and forth between that are both less than a five minute drive away). by the time you think about just how much you spend on all the various "delivery" "fees" you could add it all up to afford a single trip to five guys.