Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

dunkin donuts, tim hortons, honeydew donuts etc. where do you stand on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

theres a local donut shop in my town called Jumbo Donuts. i like to get an egg and cheese bagel and a hot black coffee from there. instead of toasting the bagel they make it on the grill. good stuff :cheers:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes. Close thread.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i used to go to a honeydew donuts in lowell. the indian man in the drivethrough became friends with me over time and he would give me free crullers. hope he's doing well, love ya buddy :cheers:

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

ferroque posted:

i used to go to a honeydew donuts in lowell. the indian man in the drivethrough became friends with me over time and he would give me free crullers. hope he's doing well, love ya buddy :cheers:

drat living the dream

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
as a hungry workingman, at any other fast food place i can get a meal. donut is no meal, even if you eat a "baker's dozen" if you'll allow me the industry term

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My local donut shop makes a sausage roll that is DIVINE.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
luv 2 dunk my donut in lukewarm brown water only to have it evapirate because its nota ctually bread lol

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My local donut shop makes a sausage roll that is DIVINE.

ya people love to say that massachusetts is obsessed with dunkin, which is true but real mass natives have a local place they'd rather go to

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

tim hortons has a drive thru, and their food is generally very bad BUT their breakfast biscuit sandwhiches are so loving good when they came out i got one, ate it on the drive to class but had to stop and get another.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The town I used to live in had an AMAZING donut shop. They were only open in the mornings and closed around lunch time. They had THE most amazing cream filled donut you've ever had in your life. So loving amazing. Like, I'm feeling euphoric just thinking about it.

Anyway, a few years ago it got closed down because it turns out the place was also a drug front.

Other donut stuff:

Dunkin Donuts iced coffee is loving divine. However for some reason my local Dunkin makes awful iced coffee in the morning. If I stop by on the way to work and get one, it's awful. It tastes like they made it with day old coffee. If I go to the same one after work, it's loving perfect.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

The town I used to live in had an AMAZING donut shop. They were only open in the mornings and closed around lunch time. They had THE most amazing cream filled donut you've ever had in your life. So loving amazing. Like, I'm feeling euphoric just thinking about it.

the best thing about jumbo donuts is that they are open 24/7 somehow

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

ice coffee is a gamble i have found, it's so variable even at the same location

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Krispy Kreme is a fast food donut. Upscale establishments don't do a promotional tie in Oreo.

Also, the white [sic] kreme (NOT THE BEVARIAN) is loving amazing and I would kill to be able to recreate at home.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ferroque posted:

the best thing about jumbo donuts is that they are open 24/7 somehow

The problem with any 24 hour donut shop is the donuts aren't fresh unless you go there in the morning. If you know what you're in for, that's fine, just don't expect a fresh donut.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Heather Papps posted:

ice coffee is a gamble i have found, it's so variable even at the same location

i dont gently caress with it :shrug:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Dunkin Donuts has some pretty good hot tea

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Dunkin Donuts has some pretty good hot tea

I get it before work a lot. Hot tea no sugar no cream. Not bad :cheers:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Dunkins iced tea is legit

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think a donut shop becomes fast food once it has enough stores. Something like Dunkin is definitely fast food, but the mom & pop shop with two locations only in your town isn't.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How about four locations?

I have yet to find a truly outstanding donut shop, but Henry's Donuts is very good, especially fresh.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i'm going to recommend Top Donut in lowell, MA, not only because of their top tier donuts, but mostly because of this review they have in their shop

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ferroque posted:

i'm going to recommend Top Donut in lowell, MA, not only because of their top tier donuts, but mostly because of this review they have in their shop

Oh poo poo you're in Lowell. The donut shop I referred to earlier that closed down was in Lowell. Eat-A-Donut. Ring any bells?

edit: A bit off topic but I want to give a shout out to George's Delicatessen in Lowell. My grandmother lived literally around the corner from it so we were regulars. Owner knew us. He even remembers me and that I moved away years ago. Anyway, A few years ago my grandma passed. All the family came in for the funeral. The next day we were all still at one of my cousins' home and we put in a big order at George's. I went to pick it up and the owner said it was on the house :unsmith:

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 6, 2020

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh poo poo you're in Lowell. The donut shop I referred to earlier that closed down was in Lowell. Eat-A-Donut. Ring any bells?

I never went there, that happened a few years before I lived in lowell :shrug: I also don't live there anymore

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The best donut I ever eated was out of a weird back alley donut speakeasy that operated only in the dead of night out of a grocery story loading dock on Martha’s Vineyard in Massachussets.

God drat those were some good donuts.

Runner up is probably a shop in Tom’s River New Jersey that was pretty drat good.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I live across the street from a Local Donut Shoppe but I haven’t tried it because my real life job is making thousands of donuts per day and I don’t want to be around them anymore when I’m done.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Wormskull posted:

I live across the street from a Local Donut Shoppe but I haven’t tried it because my real life job is making thousands of donuts per day and I don’t want to be around them anymore when I’m done.

donut industry insider goon... feel free to talk shop, tell secrets etc in this thread :hai:

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

I like me some hipster donuts

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Yes but the donut selection at Dunkin Donuts seems so basic that it's not good fast food.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Yes but the donut selection at Dunkin Donuts seems so basic that it's not good fast food.

There's like 50 drat varietys dude.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Not at the DDs I go to. :/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Dunkin is better than Krispy Kreme, don't @ me.

Or do @ me, it's a free country internet whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sean10mm posted:

Dunkin is better than Krispy Kreme, don't @ me.

Or do @ me, it's a free country internet whatever.

True but also a low bar?

Like, yeah, eating dog food is better than eating dog poop but so what

That said, dunkin food may suck but the coffee is consistently at least above average and sometimes great. It’s definitely the best national-ish chain.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cake donut supremacy. I just don't get as much satisfaction from the lighter fluffier donuts.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also, re: Dunkin Donuts

You’re not crazy they used to be good donuts when you were a kid because most Dunkin’ locations baked them fresh on site. Remember the “Time to Make the Donuts!” Guy from the commercials? That was because that was a real thing that happened! Even smaller footprints that didn’t bake on site usually got their donuts fresh from a nearby store that did every few hours or daily or whatever. But then they got greedy and realized how cheap it could be to centralize production and just ship out half assed donuts to everyone.

And now they suck.

There is, however ONE Dunkin Franchise left in the whole of the world that still bakes their donuts right there in store every day. It’s a double drive through spot in the southern suburbs of Boston and you’d never know it was anything special except for how goddamn busy they always are.

The donuts are still pretty good!

Not earth shattering beat donut of your life or anything. But pretty pretty pretty good. I would put them up against most local donut shops that aren’t trying to be fancy, and even against fancy donut shops that aren’t very good at that like Duck Donuts (ugh).

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i love a good donut. one of my favorite donut shops is the donut man in glendora, ca. their specialty is glazed donuts stuffed with glazed, seasonal fresh fruit. seriously, just look at these things:

i think in general, donuts are within the wheelhouse of fast food, they're a kind of treat so populist that it just feels kinda weird to make them into something fancy. i think some of the crazier donuts are good too, i just don't see the point in paying an arm and a leg for a donut. i wish donuts shops were more prevalent in san diego but they aren't.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dunkin doesn't make the best donuts but they're the only place on the west coast that I can find a proper chocolate cake donut so they're my go to.