Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I apologise if my kids jumping around on it contributed!

casque posted:

This could be an opportunity for aluminum brazing if you've got a torch.

Those too-good-to-be-true-looking aluminium brazing rods I keep seeing might be just the trick as they'll be non structural, but I guess you'd have to strip the insulation etc. from inside first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
time to learn TIG! ;)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Those too-good-to-be-true-looking aluminium brazing rods I keep seeing might be just the trick as they'll be non structural, but I guess you'd have to strip the insulation etc. from inside first.

I was thinking this too. I actually bought some and then realised I have naff all aluminium to use them on. Might have to get some cans in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

haha. They probably helped keep it stuck down for slightly longer!
I think sitting outside on a roof and getting alternated between baked and drowned for 17 years has done it (killing the sealant and the paint adhesion), and the fact that the sheets were not mechanically clamped down all over. Such a big sheet of metal with only fixing around the edge is bound to move.

The brazing rods do look interesting but there is no way I am stripping out the insulation from the inside to do anything hot up there!

I've got sealed rivets and sikaflex in stock (and it looks dry today and i'm at home) so I think its gonna end up getting them and then RV sealant paint, as this looks like the quickest and easiest solution.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
You're over engineering this. The tarp seems to work just fine.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
A solar panel the same dimensions as the roof sealed the whole way around would solve all of this leaking nonsense.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Slugworth posted:

You're over engineering this. The tarp seems to work just fine.
I did consider just cutting it to size and gluing it down

rifles posted:

A solar panel the same dimensions as the roof sealed the whole way around would solve all of this leaking nonsense.
The day when I can buy a flexible solar panel made to my exact required size I am having one and gluing it on!.

All the rivet holes are now sealed with rivets and sikaflex, all screw holes have been drilled out to accept rivets and I have patched all the bigger holes that used to have ambulance fixings, and installed rivnuts in the roofrack fixing holes. Have even syringed sikaflex into the rivet centres (they are sealed rivets but have a hole depending where the centre breaks off)

My RV roof sealant arrived today, so i'm hoping to start applying it tomorrow afternoon if the sikaflex has dried enough. I am aiming for 2 coats of primer tomorrow and then 2 top coats on Monday as the weather is looking cool and relatively dry.
There is a chance of overnight rain on Sunday night so I probably need to build a small frame and convert the tarp to a tent before I start.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Because this is the UK and it is summer I built an extravagant roof tent this weekend to keep the rain off.

and from Sunday afternoon through today I gave the roof 2 coats of primer and then 6 coats of latex RV roof paint with coats applied every 4-6 hours as per the instructions (I even did one at 5am)

Now I cross everything and hope it dries over the next 24 hours and leaves everything fully watertight!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'd say good luck but if it leaks after this then honestly anything could happen and the world no longer makes sense (not that it ever did).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The water tanks I ordered many months ago finally arrived and over the past few days I have fitted my fresh water tank. It is only 30-odd litres but this is better than nothing.

It came as a sealed tank and i had to drill some holes in it first

The company I bought it from were pretty useless and while the tank is good it took 3 months and 3 tries for them to ship everything from my order and I am missing the gasket for the large inspection hatch.

I am using fittings that just bolt in with rubber grommits.

I had to chop off some unused chassis brackets and re-route the brake line and fitted the tank under the floor just in front of the rear axle. This photo was taken before i tightened the straps up.
Hopefully the exhaust wont melt it. The diff may just tickle it at full compression but with it being a plastic tank i hope it will survive that if it ever happens.
Didn't take many photos as this was a filthy job as it was raining and my drive is muddy gravel.

Had to put the filler inside the truck rather than outside as there was too much stuff in the way to run it all the way out without running it right next to the exhaust manifold. If this annoys me too much I will relocate it later - after getting a metal pipe section for the warm bit to replace the plastic flexy hose I have now!

I have also been using my outdoor workshop, which also now has built in lighting!

Hopefully my pump will arrive tomorrow and I can finish connecting everything up. The sink waste pipe is just going to drop out onto the ground for the moment until i feel up to fighting with the waste tank mounting!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I actually went away in the truck this weekend and drove it 300 miles!

My exhaust fell off the manifold on one side about 120 miles in on the way there after the bolts came loose (but fortunately didn't quite fall all the way out!) - which sounded awesome but made it run like poo poo and barely idle and was gassing me (as the manifold is under the drivers seat).
Took me about an hour to get it bolted back on in a layby because it was too hot to touch and you have to lie on the floor under it and reach between the block and exhaust to get at it.
I have also developed a fairly hefty oil leak (one of the rocker covers I think), which kept dripping on my face while trying to do it.
It was pretty nice just being able to chill in the back and have some lunch and a cold drink while I waited - and I had packed the hand cleaner and my old clothes so could get changed first and then wash up after!

The o2 sensor also started flaking out and then totally gave up about half way home - at which point it either started reading either very lean (22.2) or very rich (9.9) and nothing in between (and would randomly swap over) - which totally breaks the LPG system which uses a PWM valve to constantly adjust the LPG flow based on the o2.
It also makes the closed loop idle on petrol a bit poo poo, but fortunately once you are driving my fuel map is good enough to deal with running on petrol.

I don't know if it is the whole controller or just the sensor. Its an ancient innovate LC1 wideband.
Initially, if i pulled over and stopped the car and power cycled everything it would come back up for a while, but this time got shorter and shorter until it stopped coming back.
I've got a spare sensor already so i will swap that first. Kinda tempted to swap out the current megasquirt and standalone wideband controller for a cheap new speedunio with integrated WB if it turns out it is the controller....

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its been a long time since i updated this thread!

I've been using the truck loads this year and have been enjoying it!
I've done about 1500 miles so far this year. Petrol prices in the UK have gone mental but LPG has stayed reasonable and in june was 1/3rd the price of petrol per litre which was nice...

early in the year I fixed the heating:

And then drove it around a bit:

I was having issues with the LPG gauge not reading and the valve leaking gas out over a few weeks and had to strip it down a few times. The float was sticking and it needed an O-ring.
The plastic valve body on a single hole LPG tank is a bit :psyduck: because having a bit of plastic helping to hold the LPG inside a highly pressurised tank seems like a great idea.

I then built another cabinet to house the gas bottle for the cooker
The cooker and grill are all now plumbed up and working perfectly.

And I added a grey water tank. It tucks in around the exhaust pipe.

I took it to a couple of festivals including download where I found the only thing with a bigger V8 in it to park next to:

I also spent 8 days in Wales in it last month trying to escape the 38C weather by sitting in the sea (it worked)

Unfortunately I found that there was a wiring issue with my split charger, meaning that it didnt charge the leisure battery on the 4 hour drive there when i was hammering the fridge to cool down my shopping when it was 28C outside - So after living in the truck for 5 days I started running low on leisure battery after a couple of hazy days where my 50w of solar was only pushing 1A.
After fixing the split charger wiring I had to run the engine for 30 mins each morning to get enough power to run the fridge on low for the day.
Hopefully i haven't destroyed my leisure battery too much by running it down too low.

To fix this problem last week I added another 100W of solar panel and now I get up to 6.2A from the solar into the battery when it is sunny.
My Chinese battery meter seems to have decided that I now have 104Ah of leisure battery capacity. It is a 110Ah battery so i am impressed as maybe it isn't just making up random numbers.

I have also been struggling with my rear diff pinion spraying EP90 everywhere at a rate of about 250ml/100 miles.
I did the seal (which didnt help), and then noticed that the flange was a bit shagged so have just replaced this too. hopefully it will now leak less!

I also found that driving a military truck tends to attract people I dont want to talk to, so I decided to sort out the paint on my rusty battery box cover

and deployed some anti-gammon paint, which has ended up looking beautiful :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

I also found that driving a military truck tends to attract people I dont want to talk to, so I decided to sort out the paint on my rusty battery box cover

and deployed some anti-gammon paint, which has ended up looking beautiful :allears:

:lol: has it worked so far?

God it looks so good, I'm glad you've been out using it. Those couple of days it was 38 degrees I luckily had off from work and just sat in a paddling pool under a sun shade for the entire time sieving bugs out from the water periodically .

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Looks like your lego project ran outta the same color bricks there towards the end.

I loving love it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The rainbow looks great, very clean. Maybe that counts as camper style graphics for registration.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, that looks legit great and hopefully it’s working well too.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Tomarse posted:

this is just :chefskiss:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:vince:

This is amazing. Great update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Such a good update. Glad you've been enjoying it.